Medscape Salary Survey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The 2015 Medscape Salary Survey is out:

EM had the third highest increase at a 12% raise.

We had the fourth highest overall satisfaction (2nd highest satisfaction with income, 5th highest with choice of medicine as a career, but midrange with choice of specialty)

Average salary $354K for self-employed, $270K for employed. Enjoy your CMGs boys. I'd rather have the $84K and have to spend a little time hiring and firing and making business decisions. Overall average, $306K.

Members don't see this ad.

Average salary $354K for self-employed, $270K for employed. Enjoy your CMGs boys. I'd rather have the $84K and have to spend a little time hiring and firing and making business decisions. Overall average, $306K.

Does self-employed include setups other than IC? If not, why would you have to do hiring and firing?

I suspect democratic groups are lumped in as "self-employed". Not 1099 vs. W-2.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm self-employed as well, but am contracted part time by several CMGs. I get all the benefits without having to do any hiring, firing, billing, or coding. I agree that CMGs are evil, however if you hit them in areas where they are desperate for coverage, you have significant negotiating power.

Reactions: 1 users
The 2015 Medscape Salary Survey is out:

EM had the third highest increase at a 12% raise.

We had the fourth highest overall satisfaction (2nd highest satisfaction with income, 5th highest with choice of medicine as a career, but midrange with choice of specialty)

I always get annoyed when they dont talk $/hr. I mean if a partner works 2500 hours per yr for their $354k but the employed guys maybe make 270K for 1440 hours a year (12/month).

I of course agree that avoiding the CMGs is a win, but I think its hard to compare apples to apples