Medschool: State School vs. Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

little red

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to decide on whether to go to a cheaper state school or Case Western for medschool

Here are pros and cons:

State university:

pros:
- attendance cost will be $15k + $5/10k living expenses (will live with parents, they will provide food, some financial support)

cons
- I'm not very excited about going here
- match list much weaker than Case
- curriculum sounds less exciting (lots of lecture, no small group based learning)
- more competitive environment (e.g. you're constantly ranked against the rest of the class, which (likely) leads to non-collaboration and envy between students)

Case Western:

pros:
- I really liked the school/students; felt would be happy here with the people I've met
- great match list (this is really big for me)
- good step 1 scores
- seems that the environment is more nurturing with their small group, problem based learning, patient focused learning
- can do an additional master's degree
- would be living on my own rather than w/ parents
- pass/fail system that leads to more collaborative feelings among students.

cons:
- Would have to borrow about $45k/year

I think the biggest factor is whether a better medical school training is worth the extra $100k and whether the extra debt is likely to have a huge impact on my happiness level in the long run.

I would like to hear from residents/attendings who have had to make similar choices, and whether you thought it was worth going to the more expensive/less expensive school .

Any input much appreciated as I am trying to make up my mind by May 1st. Sorry this is last minute.

If there are other threads that you think might be useful for me, please share!

Members don't see this ad.

You might want to post in the school-specific forum. That's where School A vs School B threads have been going.