Meet UNIVERISTY OF ANTIGUA ER DOC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PREDOCSIMP

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just meet medical doctor from the UNIVERSITY OF ANTIGUA. He just started and is a ER DOC. KEEP HOPE GUYS.
I wasn't planning on keeping hope. But since you made this informative post I guess I will.

Reactions: 2 users

Last edited:

Last edited:
I am sorry, I was just thrilled to meet him and posted this ASAP. I have only talked about these "carribean med school grads". Never actually meet one. He was also really cool and handsome for an er doc.

Handsome doctors can convince me of almost anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey and MAYBE if I go TO Antigua I'll BE handsome and cool also!!

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
I am not trolling...but this just drives the point, anyone who wants to be a doctor can do it.

I don't know why I'm entertaining the idea that this might not be a troll, but the reason that going to the Caribbean is a terrible idea for most people doesn't revolve around absolutely no one coming out of the it to practice in the US. Most people know someone who has done this. It's the risk, and temptation for mediocre students (possibly due to parental pressure) to go there and then flunk out with 200k debt.

But yeah, the handsome doctor who matched is definitely proof that you should go to the Caribbean if you can't get in in the US.

@PREDOCSIMP if you're trying to justify going Carib to yourself, stop (for your own sake).

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:

Last edited:
I don't understand the point of this thread. Can someone take pity on me and explain?

No one is saying that, but if you don't get in US school. Don't say CArrb will ruin your chances of being a doctor.

If you get rejected from all US MD and DO schools then the Caribbean is more likely to steal your money, youth and hope than it is to make you a doctor.

I don't understand the point of this thread. Can someone take pity on me and explain?

Probable troll but I feel bad for anyone who might read this and think "Hmm, I too gave up hope, what is this Caribbean option that produces handsome doctors?".

Last edited:
There is no point, it is just a meaningless post that has nothing to do with anything. My wife ran a half marathon today, I guess I should have made a thread about it so that nobody could care. But now we know there is one ER doc who is handsome and went to Antigua.

Even if this were true, this still doesn't justify every carribean grad will land a solid residency.

As you are aware, there is a massive feud regarding the possibility of coming back to the States as a doctor.

"If you get rejected from all US MD and DO schools then the Caribbean is more likely to steal your money, youth and hope than it is to make you a doctor."

I mean come on, if I can meet a ER CArrb doc. I am sure there are far more out there.

I don't know...I actually wish I did not post this.

It was mainly for people who did not get into MD/DO due to low stats.

You understand that the bolded statement is in no way logically sound, right?

Even if this were true, this still doesn't justify every carribean grad will land a solid residency.

It's not an unbelievable story, it's a pointless story. I'll tell you a better one. Last year I met a nephrology resident who graduated from SABA. He has 4 friends who are working $15/hr jobs trying to pay off 200k of debt who were former classmates of his. And he's not even handsome :(!

It's not an unbelievable story, it's a pointless story. I'll tell you a better one. Last year I met a nephrology resident who graduated from SABA. He has 4 friends who are working $15/hr jobs trying to pay off 200k of debt who were former classmates of his. And he's not even handsome :(!

We have quite a few IM residents and sub-specialty fellows who have graduated from the caribbeans at my facility. Though IM is not as competitive as other specialties in my area, one point I want to make is that the majority of caribbean grads at my facility were at one point locals in my area. If you don't have a killer CV or not connected in anyway with a certain program, your chances of landing a US residency spot is very slim as a caribbean grad.

We have quite a few IM residents and sub-specialty fellows who have graduated from the caribbeans at my facility. Though IM is not as competitive as other specialties in my area, one point I want to make is that the majority of caribbean grads at my facility were at one point locals in my area. If you don't have a killer CV or not connected in anyway with a certain program, your chances of landing a US residency spot is very slim as a caribbean grad.

OKAY. You are beating a dead horse.

Just including for those who may read this and not know the current and accurate facts

If for nothing else, the residency slot shortage makes US MD and DO, much more desirable over any off-shore school. A a long-term, wide-spread probability, it will reduce your chances of a slot

Less than a decade ago, the number of US-based medical school graduates was about 8,000 less per year than the number of available residency slots. Since then, the number of graduates has increased tremendously but the number of residency slots has remained static. Off-shore schools are bearing the brunt of this residency squeeze filling only about 6,000 slots this year and predicted to drop to 3,000 or less in 3 to 5 years. Additionally, many of the lesser known off shore schools will be undoubtedly closing the 2023 date approaches to meet accreditation standards, yet no body has been established to do that. Lastly, there have several congressional bills to curtail loans to off shore schools, though inaction in congress has them at a standstill.

By the way, the performance of off-shore grads should be looked at on how many start medical school, get a degree and then a residency slot. In US schools nearly 97% of those who start medical school get their MD within 8 years (accounts for those doing combined degrees. Of these 95% get slots. That is the probability of starting medical school and getting a residency slot is 92%-93%. If you remove those going into research or other non-clinical fields and never go on to residency, that would go up a point or two. The "better" off-shore medical schools lose 50% of students prior to earning their degrees and of those, 80%-85% get slots. So 40%-45% of those who start the better off-shore get a residency slot. The lower quality applicants leads to a tremendous rate of student drop out.

In sum you have close to a 95% chance of starting medical school in the US and getting a slot. You have half that much at 40%-45% from a "better" off shore school

There are hundreds of threads on this, link below to a recent indepth set
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-it-3-4-overall-gpa-3-55-science-gpa.1133776/

Great explanation. Sorry to the OP was pretty sure you were trolling, but this is why we responded so negatively toward the idea of people opting to go to the Caribbean if they were unable to get in in the US. Realistically the 40-45% are going to be people who are strong students but for whatever reason (coke problem, abusive relationship, apathy before discovering medicine) don't have the stats to stay in the US. It's tragic when people who struggle for low 70s in science courses while trying their best shell out huge amounts of money to go to the Caribbean thinking that if they get in the door they'll be fine. These are the kinds of people who don't have what it takes to make it through medschool, but are given false hope by a Caribbean school accepting their cheque before kicking them out.

Great explanation. Sorry to the OP was pretty sure you were trolling, but this is why we responded so negatively toward the idea of people opting to go to the Caribbean if they were unable to get in in the US. Realistically the 40-45% are going to be people who are strong students but for whatever reason (coke problem, abusive relationship, apathy before discovering medicine) don't have the stats to stay in the US. It's tragic when people who struggle for low 70s in science courses while trying their best shell out huge amounts of money to go to the Caribbean thinking that if they get in the door they'll be fine. These are the kinds of people who don't have what it takes to make it through medschool, but are given false hope by a Caribbean school accepting their cheque before kicking them out.

I NEVER ONCE SAID"HEY GUYS, screw MD, lets go carrb. " Stop posting false information. I said a "LAST resort". But if you do, don't think it's over. If you actually want it, you will get it.

I NEVER ONCE SAID"HEY GUYS, screw MD, lets go carrb. " Stop posting false information. I said a "LAST resort". But if you do, don't think it's over. If you actually want it, you will get it.

Here is the problem and why many people react so emotionally to what you do.... you've been doing everything in your power to paint an image that people from the Caribbean can be a physician. That's true, but it's incredibly selective. Many students should understand the risks and the decreased probability of practicing in the US/CAN and any associated specialties, weighted further by the increased tuition. Of course there will always be successful graduates who beat the odds, but to just look at the positives is at best "looking through rose-coloured glasses" and at worst propaganda.

Stop getting so worked up... what I do is take a few minutes before I read a post that makes me more emotional... emotions are always easy to blurt out. But here, where knowledge and communication really matters, you should calm down and try to present information a bit more rationally. Don't supercharge yourself with so much emotional posts and you'll find that you communicate your intentions more explicitly.

Reactions: 3 users
god, i hate when people realize they posted something *****ic and go back and delete it.

Reactions: 2 users