Meeting with Home Program Director for first time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cranio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did a search but not much useful information and none for ENT specifically -

I'm meeting with my home program's PD for the first time in a week, any recommendations on what to be prepared to talk about, what not to say, what to bring, etc? I'll bring my CV, be ready to talk about why ENT, what my grades are, etc. Any other tips? Rather anxious about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Be prepared for the usual "Why interested in ENT?" questions. Try to avoid cliche answers. Have a couple good questions? (i.e. "What would you recommend a student at my stage focus on to maximize my chances of matching in the future?" "Are there any opportunities for me to get into clinic or the OR with faculty to see and learn more?" etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you friends with any of the ent residents? Not that you want to be fake or anything, but, depending on the personality of the program director, it would be useful to see if one of the residents has any tips on how to get the most out of the meeting. Otherwise, good advice so far. Demonstrate that you are on track, and see if there are any suggestions or opportunities to continue to make yourself more competitive.

On the other hand, I don't think there is anything terrible about meeting in a really early stage, like "I have good grades, and am interested in ENT, but I would like to get more exposure to see if I would like to commit to applying."

It just depends on where you are with everything.

Are you friends with any of the ent residents? Not that you want to be fake or anything, but, depending on the personality of the program director, it would be useful to see if one of the residents has any tips on how to get the most out of the meeting. Otherwise, good advice so far. Demonstrate that you are on track, and see if there are any suggestions or opportunities to continue to make yourself more competitive.
On the other hand, I don't think there is anything terrible about meeting in a really early stage, like "I have good grades, and am interested in ENT, but I would like to get more exposure to see if I would like to commit to applying."

It just depends on where you are with everything.

No, thats one of the things im nervous about is that aside from my attending I dont have much in contacts. I know a guy from a two yrs above that matched that ive been bouncing ideas off of but thats it.

My plan so far is to just express interest, ask him to look for any red flags or things I can work on, ask about research opportunities, recs on aways, that sort of thing. Ideally ill ask about conferences and he will offer to introduce me at some point to PDs but thats pretty optimistic.