Meeting with Med Schools during application season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYURWJ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be a bad idea for an applicant to ask to meet with a school while they're in town. The caveat is that it's currently application/interview season. I'm sure schools have specific regulations about meeting with an applicant during this period, but I would sincerely like to find out more about a certain medical school by talking to someone on the staff. I just don't know if this is perhaps a little risky because I don't want to seem like I'm crossing any sort of line.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

some med schools have open houses for this very reason

Usually med schools will not meet with students individually and the ones that do will only do it after you have already been denied and are looking for feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't do it. If you really, really want to know more about a school, check out the school-specific application threads and see if there are any students posting there or that check the threads that might be willing to talk with you. With all due respect I'm skeptical that you have questions that actually necessitate an individual meeting, and that sort of thing just screams "try hard." I would avoid it. It's one thing if a school has open houses or other admissions related events. Absent that, I'd just save it for the interview.

I wouldn't do it. If you really, really want to know more about a school, check out the school-specific application threads and see if there are any students posting there or that check the threads that might be willing to talk with you. With all due respect I'm skeptical that you have questions that actually necessitate an individual meeting, and that sort of thing just screams "try hard." I would avoid it. It's one thing if a school has open houses or other admissions related events. Absent that, I'd just save it for the interview.

Thanks for the input! I definitely see where you're coming from. My questions didn't necessarily require speaking to someone in person, but much better answered if so. The school was actually really nice about it and everything worked out! :)