meh MCAT (with 2 retakes), good GPA, and re-application.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physcience5492

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: taken MCAT 3 times (25, 27, 504). sGPA=3.7 cGPA 3.5. Texas resident and applied last cycle with no interviews. working in healthcare/research setting for 2 years (research technician in a kidney cancer lab with independent research and clinical research coordination experience)

I know I need to increase my MCAT, however I have taken it too many times I think... I am planning on applying again for 2018 matriculation. Should I think about doing an SMP that has an MCAT course built into it even though my gpa isn't bad. I want to show the committees that I am trying to improve my application since last year and phase out these MCATs so I can improve my score. What do you guys think? wait to just retake MCAT and stay in current position or do a SMP/masters and MCAT prep?

Members don't see this ad.

An SMP will not fix your MCAT and your GPA doesn't need it. Since 504 is pretty much a 27/28 you kind of have shown it's your ceiling, but it's a good score for DO. I would focus your app on entirely DO. Did you not apply DO last cycle?

Forget about taking more MCATs unless you think you can score like freakishly high (515+). Instead, improve the other parts of your app (shadowing, volunteer, essays, letters) cast your DO net wide, and you will get lots of love in the 2018 cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
If that's a photo of you I would really remove it for sake of protecting your identity/annomomity.

Taking the MCAT for a 4th time unless you have a really good reason to think youll show substantial improvement here.

DO is your best bet. If you want to take your best stab at an MD program there might be a few SMP programs worth looking at. The unofficial linkage at these programs keeps declining which is why I partially hesitate to recommend a little though.

But bascially the gist is you have programs like Rosalind Franklins BMS. Average student in the program has a 3.2/27. You all basically compete and out of 130 students about 60 or so will end up getting into RFU's med school. The 60 is hardly fixed though and keeps declining which is another factor to consider. Another half dozen get into other med schools and go there. So basically if you beat out the top half of the class and your competition you have a pretty reasonable shot at getting into RFU. It's a gamble and beating out the majority of people who will be studying non stop just like you is alot harder than it sounds. But it's probably the best route if MD is the end goal.

An SMP like this is expensive, provides no guarantees at all you will get into that host MD school even if you do well in the program(which is really your only real shot outside of maybe a few TX schools given your MCAT track reecord) and if you dont do well it can severely hurt you even beyond that host MD's chances. But if MD is the end goal, this really is the best route I can see, not retaking the MCAT for a fourth time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What's the other part of your application look like? Clinical, shadowing, etc? I'm really surprised you didn't get any interviews, not even at UNT? You might want to reach out to a few Texas schools and see how they feel about a 4th retake, before taking the plunge.

An SMP will not fix your MCAT and your GPA doesn't need it. Since 504 is pretty much a 27/28 you kind of have shown it's your ceiling, but it's a good score for DO. I would focus your app on entirely DO. Did you not apply DO last cycle?

Forget about taking more MCATs unless you think you can score like freakishly high (515+). Instead, improve the other parts of your app (shadowing, volunteer, essays, letters) cast your DO net wide, and you will get lots of love in the 2018 cycle.

h...it's not going to hurt. They have to change something, and a 3.5 doesn't exactly catch the eye

I would suggest not retaking the MCAT unless you're sure you'll see significant improvement. My advice would be to apply as early as your timeline allows and add some DO schools into your list. Maybe do some more shadowing. Completely redo your PS.

This makes me wonder if there is a red flag. I hear constantly that Texas is a very forgiving state to be in, and it has been known for accepting apps like yours quickly (from my understanding).

What more aren't you telling us? What are your ECs? What are your LORs? How confident are you in them? Have you had any legal infractions, DUI, MIP, school problems with cheating? IF your record is spotless, than your poor mcat doesn't seem to explain it if you are confident your LORs.

I would want to know how your app cycle went. Did you apply early and to how many programs? Which programs? Hate to sound blaming, (this whole process is super complicated so I get the confusion) but it honestly sounds to me like you have got some weird school list, really poor application, or a major red flag somewhere for those stats to get no interest in TX. Sorry to be a downer, maybe enlighten us with more detail?

Edited for grammar.