Melbourne DDS 2012 Intake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nezura

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Just wanted to start a thread so that we can keep each other informed about offers to the Melbourne DDS 2012 intake. Hopefully they will be released at the end of August. I'm guessing since the reciprocity agreement was signed last year there'll be many more applicants.

Curious to see how many people applied from this board this year and if everyone used Oztrekk or similar service.

Members don't see this ad.

Although the agreement was signed last year, I don't think everyone knows about it yet as it wasn't widely advertised. I've met a number of pre-dent students a few weeks ago that had no clue the agreement existed until I told them. However, I'm sure the applicant number did increase, and will continue to increase even more as the years go by.

I've applied but my hopes are down from not hearing back from Sydney yet :(. Doesn't mean I've lost hope... but it's definitely down.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've applied but my hopes are down from not hearing back from Sydney yet :(. Doesn't mean I've lost hope... but it's definitely down.

Were you interviewed at Sydney? Were you the first batch?

I submitted my application back in April with OzTREKK. Any ideas as to when Melbourne will be getting back to students with decisions?

From what I've heard we'll be notified by early September.

So I posted thinking that this was Sydney DDS and I was wrong...so if you already read my rant about that ignore it (unless you also applied to Sydney in which case take my advice and email them until you get a straight answer).

Sorry for the confusion.

Does anyone know when we can hear back the final decision? It seems like applicants from last year got the offer around 26th ....

Does anyone know when we can hear back the final decision? It seems like applicants from last year got the offer around 26th ....

I've been hearing September but that's a little vague.

such a long waiting ~ :laugh:

Have you contacted with admission office by chance?

I heard Melbourne will now be releasing the outcomes in November :eek:!!! Anyone else hear that too???

Members don't see this ad :)
What! Really? I guess that means I can stop checking my email every few seconds. Where did you guys hear this news?

I got the news from OzTREKK, and they were told by Melbourne

still getting conflicting reports, oztrekk says november but I've been emailing someone at melbourne dental and she's been saying september for 1st round..... lol

Nezura, to confirm this I emailed the Associate Dean International and she too confirmed that the offers will be circulated along with the MD offers in November.

Nezura, to confirm this I emailed the Associate Dean International and she too confirmed that the offers will be circulated along with the MD offers in November.

Well that sucks....

G'day everyone,

Hope that this post finds you all well.

Overnight I received confirmation from the executive at the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences as to the official release date of application outcomes for the 2012 intake to the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) program.

Application outcomes are due for release the week of October 10th, 2011.

Over the past few weeks there has been great speculation that application outcomes would be released in September, ahead of the original date of November.

The original date for the release of application outcomes to the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) was the week of November 7th, 2011, which was in line with the release of application outcomes to the Doctor of Medicine (MD).

The application outcomes of both the DDS and MD have been subsequently moved up to the week of October 10th, 2011.

During the course of the week commencing October 10th, International Admissions will be releasing outcomes to Christine (OzTREKK - Melbourne Dental School Admissions Officer), in no particular order. Christine will then process those outcomes, email and mail them to you the exact same day.

Please note that although a timeline has now been confirmed, on many occasions, the release of application outcomes is delayed by a few days and possibly weeks from the official date. The reason for any such delays or deviations from the official release date is due to backlogs at International Admissions at the University, and the time needed to process application outcomes by the International Admissions team at the University.

But do not worry, Christine will keep you updated of any delays or deviations from the official release date. Again, application outcomes are due to be release commencing the week of October 10th, 2011.

If you have any questions about your application or the outcome date, please don’t hesitate to contact me at any time.

Hope you are all well.

Cheers,

Matt

From the MDHS official facebook page

We've noticed the discussion popping up again about DDS offer dates, and apparently some people have received confusing information from the Melbourne Dental School.

We are stating with absolute certainty that international offers for the MD and DDS are due out in the next fortnight, and that MD and DDS local offers will be issued between 9-16 November. Any delays would be announced here, and there are none at this stage. Please repost this to anyone you know who is confused about dates, and contact the MDHS Student Centre to clarify any info. This information comes directly from both the manager of the Melbourne Dental School and the Academic Programs and Policy Unit who coordinate selection.

I am a semi-retired US dentist that is recently accepted by the Melbourne Special Needs Dentistry (Doctor of Clinical Dentistry degree) department. I had to defer my matriculation for 12 months for various reasons, which means I will start my post-doctoral program on Feb of 2013. Looking forward to a fresh start down under and to meet with my "undergraduate" colleagues..:):thumbup:

Just got an offer for DDS program ( Im in Canada )

Was it through OzTREKK? or another source?

Yep I got the letter today through Oztrekk ...

I also got a offer today, I applied directly through the university

got a conditional from OzTrekk. Gotta finish my anatomy course first.

out of curiosity for those that received UNconditional offers, what is your lapse date?

Mine's Oct 26th but I also applied to American schools and i won't be hearing back from them any time soon. Man i'm in such a dilemma....

How are you guys paying for this? I got an offer too but the tuition is ridiculous!

Probably from government student loan and the bank.
I asked a graduate from Michigan and another one from Sydney and they both told me, it's going to take a good 6-7 years to pay off a debt of about 400k since we'll be spending some of our earnings on daily expenses.
Does anyone know if Australian banks lend loans to international students?

I guess everyone got (or will soon receive) the possible second round offers e-mail who did not make it in the first round. I know this should be good news (and it is) but it's a bit disappointing to know that our acceptance is based on how many people don't accept their offers :(

Good luck guys.

For all you Canadian applicants who got admitted, any ideas on which banks prefer Australian dental schools?

I really don't want to get a cosigner to worry about the loans, but I don't think I have a choice. $70000/year in tuition is insane!

I'm wondering the same thing. Also, are you guys going to live in the dorm or find an apartment?

I'm 24... and I'm assuming everyone else is my age or maybe a bit younger. I can't imagine moving back into rez. I've gotten use to living in apartments, so I'll look for an apartment unless rez is somehow cheaper. I was thinking of asking other canadians if they wanted to get a place together.. Any takers?

I'm most interested in RBC and Scotia Bank because they offer the highest line of credit at 250 000. Their sites aren't updated, but that is what they are offering. I'm getting 2 co-signers though, which is the allowable maximum, since neither of them were willing to take on the full responsibility.

I'm also 24, male, Canadian, and I'm doing everything I can to secure suitable co-signers. But I don't know if I'm going to be able to do it in time. It's really starting to get to me!!!

If I do find a cosigner, I'd be more than willing to share a place with my fellow dental buds. Cross your fingers!!!

Hello my future classmates
Im accepting my offer for now, but im concerned about coming back to Canada to practice. Currently cdn schools do not accept non north american graduates into their gpr programs. Do employers hire graduates fresh out of d school??

edit: totally mistaken GPR for grad program. Hmm.. yeah seems like you have to be from a north american school for GPR.. Who knows what will happen in the next few years though

Last edited: