Melbourne vs Sydney

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labqi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I hope everyone is doing well. I just had a quick question regarding both the subject schools. My goal is to ultimately come back and work in Canada. Hopefully secure a surgical residency in Canada or US. I know things/career selection change during school. I have read through numerous threads on pagingdr and sdn. I was blessed enough to be accepted into both these schools. My questions which school will better tailor my goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Hey thanks for the great reply. I'm leaning towards Melbourne. I was thinking more towards general or plastics. But I will chart this out and try to figure out the pros n cons. I guess pagingdr would be of great help in this case.

Melbourne's program is also a condensed program. Ie. All the preclinical is done in 1 year :S. Wonder how that is actually.

Members don't see this ad :)
There usually are 0 spots in Canada for Plastic Surgery for IMGs and 6 for General Surgery. Its really really competitive, usually many hundreds of applicants for those 6 spots. If you are serious about surgery, I would recommend staying in North America for med school. If you just think you might be into surgery, its ok to go, getting General Surgery is really difficult in the US you'll really need to be top of your class to be competitive.

Yah I've heard :(

Oops sorry didn't see you wanted general surgery or plastics. I know in the US it's really hard to get into general surgery and virtually impossible for an IMG (including US-IMG) to get into plastics.

General surgery is very hard for an IMG but if you work super hard and do awesome on the USMLEs and get US Clinical Experience and solid LORs and so on then it's "possible." After doing a general surgery residency, you could try to apply to plastic surgery. But again no guarantees as if I'm not mistaken general surgery applying to plastic surgery is one of the more competitive applications, but best to ask on the general surgery forums (Winged Scapula?) about this.

It's really hard, and I agree with Medstart108, if you're set on general surgery in North America, best to go to North America if at all possible. Also, we don't know how things will change in a couple of years with more med schools in the US graduating more med students and spots filling up etc.

Just know if you come to either Sydney or Melbourne, there's a strong chance you may not be able to match into general surgery or any other type of surgery. Of course work your hardest from day 1 and hope it works out, but just don't count on it in case it doesn't (and general surgery would be your best bet). If you're okay with that, it's a great experience to study med in Australia.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
so for all students who plan to return to the US, is there enough time to prepare for the USMLE because Melbourne has 1-year preclinical curriculum?
can you study while you're on rotation during 2nd year?
how is the weather in Melbourne vs. Sydney?