Memorable Interview Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matchwinner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Found myself reminiscing about the interview trail during my Match year. I thought it would be fun and informative to start a thread of war stories from the interview trail. No need to name names.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was at a dinner, telling a resident about how a different program asked for a short power point presentation at the interview. The resident replied by saying if he had to do that, his presentation would just be a picture of his penis, "all 2 glorious inches of it. Different angles, maybe - probably a few head on shots and one histopath slide."

Members don't see this ad :)
I was at a dinner, telling a resident about how a different program asked for a short power point presentation at the interview. The resident replied by saying if he had to do that, his presentation would just be a picture of his penis, "all 2 glorious inches of it. Different angles, maybe - probably a few head on shots and one histopath slide."
Do programs actually do that still? I heard Duke's derm program used to actually have applicants go thru sort of a Kodachrome quiz, but this may no longer be the case.

Do programs actually do that still? I heard Duke's derm program used to actually have applicants go thru sort of a Kodachrome quiz, but this may no longer be the case.
I have two interviews that want presentations. One of them all the faculty, residents and applicants are in the audience.

I have two interviews that want presentations. One of them all the faculty, residents and applicants are in the audience.
Present what? A disease? Research? I've heard this more with MD/PhD applicants than anyone else on interviews.

Present what? A disease? Research? I've heard this more with MD/PhD applicants than anyone else on interviews.

About your life, passions, etc. Preferably things not in your ERAS application.

About your life, passions, etc. Preferably things not in your ERAS application.
How nervewracking! Ain't nobody got time for that. I mean obviously programs want residents who aren't only good studiers who are nice and not backstabbing or malicious but a powerpoint presentation is a little over the top.

I have one. They said do it about anything.

I would not know where to start!!

How nervewracking! Ain't nobody got time for that. I mean obviously programs want residents who aren't only good studiers who are nice and not backstabbing or malicious but a powerpoint presentation is a little over the top.

Any suggestions out there??

I would not know where to start!!

Any suggestions out there??

If they specifically told you not to do a presentation on anything in your ERAS application, I would try to do it on something personal and interesting

Do you travel a lot? Where was your last trip?

Did you used to be a concert pianist?

Any artsy skills? Dance? Photography?

Do you have an interesting hobby? (within reason, we had someone who told us she was a big hunter. That did not sit well with some of our faculty who happened to be animal lovers)

Did you have a prior career?

Were you formerly in the Olympics? (we've had multiple applicants before who were!)

This is an opportunity for you to present something fun and human about yourself outside of the normal drudgery that comes with interview season (for both the applicants and the program)

If they specifically told you not to do a presentation on anything in your ERAS application, I would try to do it on something personal and interesting

Do you travel a lot? Where was your last trip?

Did you used to be a concert pianist?

Any artsy skills? Dance? Photography?

Do you have an interesting hobby? (within reason, we had someone who told us she was a big hunter. That did not sit well with some of our faculty who happened to be animal lovers)

Did you have a prior career?

Were you formerly in the Olympics? (we've had multiple applicants before who were!)

This is an opportunity for you to present something fun and human about yourself outside of the normal drudgery that comes with interview season (for both the applicants and the program)
I was not told to exclude anything. Just that the presentation could be about anything. The audience is my fellow interviewees, faculty and residents.

I was not told to exclude anything. Just that the presentation could be about anything. The audience is my fellow interviewees, faculty and residents.
I would definitely do it on the topics @asmallchild said. The point of it is to get to know you, outside of your specialty interest and to see that you're not just a one-dimensional derm drone. We've had Olympic-level athletes, people who've written novels, etc.

We've had Olympic-level athletes, people who've written novels, etc.

wow this is one of my favorite parts of the interview trail. i've always been in my small little bubble and its incredible hearing about the accomplishments of others, starting businesses, athletes, super involved in the arts, etc.

wow this is one of my favorite parts of the interview trail. i've always been in my small little bubble and its incredible hearing about the accomplishments of others, starting businesses, athletes, super involved in the arts, etc.
Yes, it is quite awesome and scary to see the accomplishments of people on the interview trail, esp. when you see them at other interviews as well. Definitely makes you humble.

Yeah, i can remember the presentation this one guy did. It was incredible. He highlighted his love for running marathons. Backwards. Naked. Through cornfields.

Reactions: 1 users