Memorization techniques?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilliamsEph

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you guys memorizing everything? Even though I understand what I'm studying I find that I'm forgetting rapidly. I finished Pathoma last month, and I can't remember it right now. Is it a good idea as soon as a subject is done to immediately do all the questions in USMLERx (or the qbank of your choice) to try to lock down the info?

What about Anki; has it been useful during step prep?

Members don't see this ad.

How are you guys memorizing everything? Even though I understand what I'm studying I find that I'm forgetting rapidly. I finished Pathoma last month, and I can't remember it right now. Is it a good idea as soon as a subject is done to immediately do all the questions in USMLERx (or the qbank of your choice) to try to lock down the info?

What about Anki; has it been useful during step prep?

I am not in medical school yet. But maybe flashcards as you go along. Doing a little bit of what you learned in the past to continuously re-fresh your memory of the topics. I hope this is helpful.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Best! :)

Anki is great but if you're pretty close to your exam you should be focused on doing tons and tons of questions. if you are using anki leading up to the test you should at least suspend a lot of cards that have low-yield info.

one of my friends is really big into mind-maps and uses this spaced-repetition mind map program. there's also that picmonic program although its pretty new and I haven't heard many things (good or bad) about it.

or if you're really hardcore you can ask the professionals (the people who memorize digits of pi and cards in a deck for fun): http://mnemotechnics.org/forums/beginnerwould-like-to-use-techniques-for-medical-school-1852.html