Memorization tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some efficient methods that will aid me in remembering/memorizing terms.

Members don't see this ad.

I come up with a cute (or lame) story to link terms and processes together. Every character just has a complicated name and the plots are really dysfunctional. Works awesome in physiology.

I usually make up completely random, nonsensical word associations.

For example, when trying to learn that the hamstrings extend the hip, I used the prefix ham- (which is delicious), and thought that if I had a supply of ham, I would want to extend that supply. See? Totally obscure. :laugh:

It worked though, because I remember killing the skeletal system exam.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I usually make up completely random, nonsensical word associations.

For example, when trying to learn that the hamstrings extend the knee, I used the prefix ham- (which is delicious), and thought that if I had a supply of ham, I would want to extend that supply. See? Totally obscure. :laugh:

It worked though, because I remember killing the skeletal system exam.

As ridiculous as that sounds, it makes sense. :thumbup:

I'll give that a go! :D

I'd say it depends on what you're studying for. For example, in biochem I found it most beneficial to make color-coordinated lists for the different steps and cycles.

For physiology, I agree with making up random things that entertain you...works like a charm!

OP, do whatever gives you the most confidence. Flash cards, mnemonics, acronyms if possible, stories, random associations (e.g., IgM is the first immunoglobulin expressed in response to T-cell feedback for a given antigen, so we say it's immediate), random pictures, whatever. Try different things and see if one "sticks" just a little bit better, or aids your ability to recall just a little bit better. That's your trick. :thumbup: