Memorization tricks for engineering students going into medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ejay19955

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
M0. Was an engineering major and bio classes were the hardest A's for me because of memorization. Heat transfer, def bods, transport etc., weren't as big a problem. A few friends of mine with an engineering degree who are already in medical or dental school are telling me their undergrad was harder because medical school is just all about memorization and the content itself is not that hard. It's just the sheer amount of material that drowns them apparently.

I suck at memorizing. It wasn't a big problem since I had literally only 2 memorization-heavy courses in undergrad (bio I and bio II) as an engineering major. Even Anki takes too long for me so I would just cram the textbook for a few days before the exam with no particular strategy. This worked for undergrad. Not sure if it will work for med school.

Anyone who was on the same boat? How did you transition from engineering to medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

M0. Was an engineering major and bio classes were the hardest A's for me because of memorization. Heat transfer, def bods, transport etc., weren't as big a problem. A few friends of mine with an engineering degree who are already in medical or dental school are telling me their undergrad was harder because medical school is just all about memorization and the content itself is not that hard. It's just the sheer amount of material that drowns them apparently.

I suck at memorizing. It wasn't a big problem since I had literally only 2 memorization-heavy courses in undergrad (bio I and bio II) as an engineering major. Even Anki takes too long for me so I would just cram the textbook for a few days before the exam with no particular strategy. This worked for undergrad. Not sure if it will work for med school.

Anyone who was on the same boat? How did you transition from engineering to medicine?

Practice. It's as simple as training your brain and adapting to a new learning style. Unlike in undergrad, there is no need to adopt varying studying strategies depending on the course. Medical school is all memorization all the time.

Reactions: 1 users

It was a weird transition (I wouldn't say undergrad was easier but the course load was similar so I wasn't too "shocked" by the volume) but the best you can do is break up the material into smaller pieces and memorize small bits at a time(Anki is good for that). Use a structured study schedule because that last minute "memory dump" method is just not going to cut it. I also like to understand the logic behind why things are the way the are so I like to do a lot of background reading for each subject. The memorization is the necessary hoop you have to get through to do well in medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely found undergrad much easier - ChemE. I spent more time on one of my anatomy electives than all my engineering classes put together. I saw your post and I thought I was reading my own.

Anyways. For me - I find I have to write down my notes - in short format, then go through them several times. (Highlight learning objectives, circle things that came up on RX that missed, etc).

I definitely am studying more than I have ever in my life - but it's do-able.

Also for some topics, I found flash cards useful. I used brains cape, anki, and I used to use firecracker but that takes too much time commitment

Loci. It's a greek method of memorization. Make a flowing story that includes something related to/sounding like each concept, or fragment of an equation, to memorize.

For a simple example...which I still remember from my general chem course...

For a second-order reaction, the reaction constant is 1/[R]t - 1/[R]0 = +kt

Here's my story:

Two red birds are sitting under two trees and feeling pretty negative. But they think about the amazing state of Kentucky and start to feel positive.

Can you catch the parts of the equation?

TwO red birds = [R]t and [R]0
Two trees = 1 and 1
Under = /
Feeling negative = (-)
Kentucky = kt
and the 'feel positive' part is the fact that kt is positive.

As long as you make each concept or piece flow in a story, it shouldn't be that hard to remember honestly. Maybe a little slower to write down.. but if you keep saying the story over and over you won't need it anymore. It just shows up as an image in your head as you write the equation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It's all about that Ebbinghaus (though I will say, I tended to take a similar approach you did in undergrad). If you're looking for evidenced-based ways to study, then this is the way to go.

forgetting_curve.png

Reactions: 1 users
Dang thank you all. I haven't found Anki very helpful because it takes too long for me to get through the deck. How many cards do you get through per day and how long does it take for you?

Cramming will not work for med school. One person I know did that and he passed the first couple of exams. But as soon as the material started to get more difficult and the amount of material started to increase significantly, he could not keep up. I personally space out each powerpoint/lecture/presentation/book chapter I have to review and repeatedly review them again and again. It also helps to have mnemonics or make associations in your head, which definitely makes things easier to memorize.

Easiest way to learn is a simple method:

Read before the lecture.

I aced my bio classes while the chumps in my courses would bang their heads against the walls in frustration. Most my peers had pilfered their education prior by just being smart, but I realized that most of them were smarter than I was but still wouldn't get my grades.

Pre-read the chapter before the lecture. I would sit for 15-20 minutes and speed read right before lecture. This would make everything SOO MUCH EASIER. All the other chumps and busters would be sitting there looking like monkeys watching bananas fight back. If this is the second time you see material, then the teacher can be SUPER helpful when they explain during lecture.

Anyways, I was an ENGI background before I turned pre-med. So I hope you at least try my hint ONCE and realize how much of an advantage this is.

Reactions: 1 user
There isn't a single best way to learn for every individual. It's a bit of a trial by fire, you experiment, and eventually you figure out what works best for you and your performance goals (or you don't, and you sink, but the vast majority of students don't sink, and I'd say a large portion of those that do aren't for purely reasons of academic aptitude). I do think there's a good amount of evidence behind spaced repetition, and I recommend incorporating it in some way into your studying, but that can manifest itself different ways. Maybe you just do a thorough first pass to start, moderate reread at some point through the block, and then a quick reread of key info that you feel hasn't stuck before a test. It might not follow a scientifically derived spaced learning algorithm, but it still incorporates principles of it and doesn't involve you making cards (though I will say making anki cards is something you get better / faster at)

With 2 years in med school will say I dreaded rote memorization... And I hate flash cards. You really can get rid of a lot of it through hard work... mainly by diving into the details of the pathophysiology by reading textbooks. The rest of it you can try to minimize by using clever mnemonic devices and . An example of avoiding memorizing is knowing the random diseases associated with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2A.

You could try to memorize MEN2A is associated with pheochromocytoma, medullary carcinomas of the thyroid, and parathyroid hyperplasia... which all seem pretty random, or you could read up on it and understand they are all derived from neural crest embryologically, and that an early mutation (RET oncogene) of that derivative causes this constellation of findings. If you know what the neural crest derivatives are, then you can derive the findings to a point.

I think spaced repetition works, especially for the more mindless things that you just have to memorize (like what ARE the neural crest derivatives?) but some students may find Anki does not work for them. I think there are some students who use Anki as a crutch for jamming in random facts without actually knowing the underlying concepts, and that kind of surface-level knowledge won't serve you well when it comes to solving difficult questions on exams... or real life.

It comes down to finding out what works best for you. Experiment in your first months of med school. Mix and match. Talk with classmates about what they do. For most people, they don't end up re-inventing the wheel.

Personally, since I just can't stand flash cards (I'd burn myself out doing something I abhorred, even if it may be more efficacious otherwise), I draw out lots and lots of diagrams, with arrows that link concepts together, especially pathophysiology. It helps me draw out similarities, differences, etc., which is key for making good differentials and diagnoses. It also has good overlap with the fact that much of clinical reasoning is algorithmic.

Last edited: