Memorizing structures of amino acids for MCAT 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed-molecule

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the new MCAT 2015 asking us to memorize structures of amino acids since Biochemistry was added? Or is it only necessary to know if they're polar/nonpolar/aromatic/acidic/basic?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd know both the structure and properties. Some may think it is "low yield" but I actually think it is "high yield".

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I Anki'ed all of the Amino acids with all their pictures, properties, etc and have them grouped too. I learned everything there is to know that could be relevant MCAT-wise about the AA's in a couple days. Just review them consistently every week and then they will be second nature to identify and name their properties.

Reactions: 2 users
yeah dude you need to know the side chains the 3 and 1 letter abbreviations. No need for pka stuff. Also you should have an idea of polarities and acidity/alkalinity of the AA.

You also need to memorize the structures of all intermediates in major metabolic pathways (glycolysis, neoglucogenesis, citric acid cycle, etc). It is also important to remember the enzymes for each reaction and whether it is exergonic or endergonic.

From what I've seen in my limited exposure to the new exam (I took the old MCAT), if you can answer a question about the isoelectric point of a chain of amino acids, you're good to go. I don't think memorizing the exact structure of each side chain will offer any benefit, but you should know the unique properties of some of them (such as cysteine in disulfide bridges).

Just my n=1.

You only need to learn the "R" groups anyway. The backbones are all the same. The names can be helpful. For instance, alanine's r group is simply a methyl group (CH3), but phenylalanine adds a phenyl group (benzene ring) to this methyl. And tyrosine simply adds a hydroxyl group to this benzene ring. It's also helpful to learn them by "type" for instance, "Polar", "aromatic", "non-polar non-aromatic", etc. That alone will tell you a lot about them.

Some of the unofficial practice questions I've seen ask where you're likely to find a given amino acid (interior or exterior of protein). I've seen many that deal with charge/pKa (though if the side chain is relevant, they will give you its pKa; you're not required to know any amino acid pKa). Just know how this works.

From what I've seen in my limited exposure to the new exam (I took the old MCAT), if you can answer a question about the isoelectric point of a chain of amino acids, you're good to go. I don't think memorizing the exact structure of each side chain will offer any benefit, but you should know the unique properties of some of them (such as cysteine in disulfide bridges).

Just my n=1.

You're probably right. Proline will probably also be useful b/c it introduces a "kink" in the alpha helix.

Some of the unofficial practice questions I've seen ask where you're likely to find a given amino acid (interior or exterior of protein). I've seen many questions that deal with charge/pKa (though if the side chain is relevant, they will give you its pKa; you're not required to know any amino acid pKa).

Don't forget to memorize the structure of bases in DNA and RNA. You also need to remember the carbon positions (C1-C5) for each base as well as ribose and deoxyribose.

Just my n=1.
Old MCAT didn't cover hard core biochem. The new MCAT is a different animal.

You're probably right. Proline will probably also be useful b/c it introduces a "kink" in the alpha helix.

Some of the unofficial practice questions I've seen ask where you're likely to find a given amino acid (interior or exterior of protein). I've seen many questions that deal with charge/pKa (though if the side chain is relevant, they will give you its pKa; you're not required to know any amino acid pKa).
Actually I believe you need to know the pKa of side chains. For example you need to know if histidine at physiological pH carries a positive charge or not. You can only fogure this out if you know the pKa of histidine.