Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not sure why black suits are discussed so much on this forum. It is not proper ettiquette, but will it lead to a rejection, highly doubtful.

Actually, it's more than fine to wear a black suit. Every single person at all 6 of my interviews including me was either wearing a black or dark gray suit. You just need to wear a suit and a tie and beyond that it doesn't matter at all. Your interviewer will not think for a second about what you're wearing at any point in their evaluation of you unless you are wearing something utterly ridiculous...you would really have to work hard to screw this up.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Actually, it's more than fine to wear a black suit. Every single person at all 6 of my interviews including me was either wearing a black or dark gray suit. You just need to wear a suit and a tie and beyond that it doesn't matter at all. Your interviewer will not think for a second about what you're wearing at any point in their evaluation of you unless you are wearing something utterly ridiculous...you would really have to work hard to screw this up.

Read through the thread. Everything that needs to be said in response to this already has been.

Members don't see this ad :)
Read through the thread. Everything that needs to be said in response to this already has been.

But I like to do this. :beat:

Haha, in all seriousness, I did not read the whole thread, my bad for bringing it back up.

I need a new black strap watch, my current go-to is brown and wouldn't work with my current outfit. Any suggestions?

err...ok. Thread is too long, but my bad. I still say black suit is fine for med school interview. If I have a job interview at Goldman I would probably think harder.

Ties are fun, I wish I was bold enough to wear one of those with the square bottom, old school style

I'm currently going back and forth on a skinny tie, which I love, but think it might not be appropriate.

I wear them, its paid off so far.

What we're about here is making optimal decisions

Edit: didn't realize you were referring to a different post. My bad, I'm on the app. But I'll affirm that statement.

I should have been more clear; what do you think of the colors?

Consensus seems to be navy or charcoal, but I think this would better with my skin (pale to ruddy) and my eyes are bright blue.

Agree that the color is not formal enough for interviews. Dark navy or charcoal is your best bet. If you don't already own a suit, navy will probably be the most versatile option.

Not a male but I wanted to add something.

After you get your suit dry clean, check right there to make sure everything is okay.

My pants got mixed up and because of the 48 hr policy they are not doing anything about it.

True. However, the best solution is not to get your suit dry cleaned at all. There is absolutely no need to have a quality suit dry cleaned. None. Good worsted wool is naturally stain- and odor-resistant, and dry cleaning will negatively impact the appearance and lifespan of your suit.

People get pretty excited about allen edmunds both at styleforum and sdn. Not cheap, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cole Haan Lunargrands

IMG_0450_web-500x333.jpg

pPOLO2-16719882_lifestyle_v360x480.jpg

I'm a fan of these. - Denim and Supply Damian Leather Boot

What's wrong with light gray suit? I am gonna go with black. I read the old thread and it seems like everybody wants to go navy. What's the reasoning behind that?
Light gray is more of a spring/summer suit. It's something that is formal, but is more traditionally worn in non-professional settings. Wearing charcoal or navy colored suits is more professional. Don't ask me why--it just is.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm pretty freaking colorblind so color matching is a big no no for me. I got a black suit w/ white shirt and black/white tie. I know it's not ideal, but is it really that big of a deal.

Also, people are suggesting NOT to wear dress shoes right? Won't we be inside most of the day though (haven't been to an interview yet, but all of mines are scheduled in Nov/Dec in some pretty snowy states).

Last edited:
I'm gonna be honest, I'm pretty freaking colorblind so color matching is a big no no for me. I got a black suit w/ white shirt and black/white tie. I know it's not ideal, but is it really that big of a deal.

Also, people are suggesting NOT to wear dress shoes right? Won't we be inside most of the day though (haven't been to an interview yet, but all of mines are scheduled in Nov/Dec in some pretty snowy states).

You wear dress shoes with a suit. Balmorals are preferable but Bluchers work too. I doubt your interviewers will frown upon the "wrong" kind of dress shoe but that doesn't mean you can wear Nikes or Timberlands.

anyone recommend some good dress shoes/oxfords/loafers to wear with jeans/chinos/khakis.

Look at Florsheim or Clarks. Cole Haan has some decent stuff as well.

Last edited:
You wear dress shoes with a suit. Balmorals are preferable but Bluchers work too. I doubt your interviewers will frown upon the "wrong" kind of dress shoe but that doesn't mean you can wear Nikes or Timberlands.

I own something like this. Bad idea?

NTYJeS6.png

I own something like this. Bad idea?

Loafers are generally not a good bet for an interview suit.

It's not the end of the world if that's your only option but lace-ups are more professional.

Last edited:
Loafers are generally not a good bet for an interview suit.

It's not the end of the world if that's your only option but lace-ups are more professional.

Hm. Thanks! I guess I can only afford something if it's around 40-50 dollars right now so I don't have a lot of options it seems :/

Hm. Thanks! I guess I can only afford something if it's around 40-50 dollars right now so I don't have a lot of options it seems :/
I managed to find a pair of black Park Aves on ebay for $50. They're used, but definitely in great shape.

Reactions: 1 user
I managed to find a pair of black Park Aves on ebay for $50. They're used, but definitely in great shape.

Did everything go well with the sale? I've been debating doing this for a few months because buying AE at full price is definitely out of my range, and the idea of used shoes doesn't really bother me that much...

If you find a sale you can get some black lace ups in your price range that would be preferable to the slip ons.

Loafers shouldn't be worn with a suit. Ideally, you should wear a pair of black cap-toe oxfords. Dark brown/burgundy is OK too if you're wearing a navy or charcoal suit, but if you're going to buy 1 pair of shoes, the black oxfords will be the most versatile and timeless.

Loafers shouldn't be worn with a suit. Ideally, you should wear a pair of black cap-toe oxfords. Dark brown/burgundy is OK too if you're wearing a navy or charcoal suit, but if you're going to buy 1 pair of shoes, the black oxfords will be the most versatile and timeless.

Does something like one of these two work?

5j9Gf9b.png
YjJhanS.png

Did everything go well with the sale? I've been debating doing this for a few months because buying AE at full price is definitely out of my range, and the idea of used shoes doesn't really bother me that much...
Yeah, everything was fine. The soles had a little bit of wear, but nothing the seller hadn't mentioned in the description. For the price they were more than worth it.

First one definitely no. Second is OK, but ideally something like this or this is what you want. These would be a decent alternative if you're looking to save some cash, and most people probably wouldn't notice the difference.

Those shoes are great, but not in the stated price range, and you absolutely don't need that high quality of a shoe for a medical school interview (as much as I would like to myself).

Just wait for a department store coupon and go in for very basic black lace-ups, cap-toes more formal, but I don't know if they are necessary. Nothing with any patterns like the first shoe posted in the set of two.

Maybe he can find a good deal on some Bostonians (ignore what it says about them being Oxfords, definitely Derbys)

Maybe he can find a good deal on some Bostonians (ignore what it says about them being Oxfords, definitely Derbys)

I had some Bostonians I bought for around $60. After wearing them a few dozen times they were all scuffed up and had ugly creases. The marks wouldn't polish out well and the creases looked like bent plastic. The soles were sooo loud. Maybe I just made a poor choice in the Bostonian lineup, idk.

I just went all in for park aves, and they've been a lot better, although 250$ more expensive. I've never spent more than $100 on shoes, but I figure these will last me a decade with some care so I feel like they are worth it.

I had some Bostonians I bought for around $60. After wearing them a few dozen times they were all scuffed up and had ugly creases. The marks wouldn't polish out well and the creases looked like bent plastic. The soles were sooo loud. Maybe I just made a poor choice in the Bostonian lineup, idk.

I just went all in for park aves, and they've been a lot better, although 250$ more expensive. I've never spent more than $100 on shoes, but I figure these will last me a decade with some care so I feel like they are worth it.

The person I was referring to said he needed a cheap option and I gave him one. Park aves are definitely where it's at though

The person I was referring to said he needed a cheap option and I gave him one. Park aves are definitely where it's at though

True, just offering my anecdote that cheap dress shoes don't last too long, and in the end, probably won't save anyone any money. Of course, they will do the job for interviews.

Might be a little risky with loafers for a backup, limited budget, and upcoming interviews, though.

What are thoughts on appropriate outdoor jackets for an interview day? I have one in a few weeks in a COLD place and need something for the tour when we're outside. Also does anyone bring any sort of bag like a slim messenger bag or is a bag in general to hold papers/a notepad completely unnecessary?

What are thoughts on appropriate outdoor jackets for an interview day? I have one in a few weeks in a COLD place and need something for the tour when we're outside. Also does anyone bring any sort of bag like a slim messenger bag or is a bag in general to hold papers/a notepad completely unnecessary?

Bringing a bag isn't necessary. Most people bring leather-bound padfolios, although I like the idea someone posted about bringing a small moleskine that can be slipped into your jacket pocket.

As for the coat, technically you should wear an overcoat with a suit, but as long as you wear something dark and subdued you should be fine.

Bringing a bag isn't necessary. Most people bring leather-bound padfolios, although I like the idea someone posted about bringing a small moleskine that can be slipped into your jacket pocket.

As for the coat, technically you should wear an overcoat with a suit, but as long as you wear something dark and subdued you should be fine.
Thanks! Slightly off topic question, what should I bring in the padfolio besides a notepad and pen?

TBH, you don't need much. I didn't bring anything to my interviews because I couldn't think of a reason to, and likely won't bring anything to my residency interviews either. A pen in your pocket should be good enough.

Hi everyone,

So I have my interview next month. In terms of suits, I'm a pretty thin guy, so I'm going for a slimmer navy-colored suit.

So far I've been recommended Zara, Bar III (Macy's in-store brand), H&M, and Kenneth Cole for brands. What do you all think/recommend?

Also for the shoes, it might be pretty sloshy out there, so how should I handle the shoe situation? I was thinking black for the color.

My budget is probably around 500 bucks including suit, shoes, tie, shirt, and belt.

Last edited:
Black is good for shoes, stay away from things with square toes. A cap-toe oxford is your best bet.

IMO suit brand is less important than fit. Try on a bunch of suits and make sure the fit is good, especially in the shoulders and stomach of the jacket as those areas are pretty tough to alter.