Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agree with above, buy a slightly cheaper suit off the rack than you can afford and save that money for the tailor.. Huge difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

So I have my interview next month at Einstein. In terms of suits, I'm a pretty thin guy, so I'm going for a slimmer navy-colored suit.

So far I've been recommended Zara, Bar III (Macy's in-store brand), H&M, and Kenneth Cole for brands. What do you all think/recommend?

Also for the shoes, it might be pretty sloshy out there, so how should I handle the shoe situation? I was thinking black for the color.

My budget is probably around 500 bucks including suit, shoes, tie, shirt, and belt.

I'd recommend Bostonians for the shoes since you're on a budget. Make sure they are oxford lace ups. Don't forget to buy socks that match your pants.

A Dept store suit can be perfectly serviceable, Good tailoring is important though.

As for the tie, look for a repp dot or stripe. Often can find discounted Ralph Lauren ties that look excellent at dept stores for $30 on sale, great buy. Width should match the width of your lapel, keep both conservative.

Shirt should be white or light blue - keep it simple. Really any brand will do but make sure it has a point or spread collar, not a button down. Brand doesn't really matter but make sure it fits well in the neck and sleeves, also go for an extra slim fit to avoid the "tenting" phenomenon when you remove your coat.

If you manage to get a suit on sale you should easily come in under budget and look great. Good luck on your interview and make sure you purchase the suit ahead of time so it is back from the tailor by the time you need it.

Reactions: 1 users
346 Brooks Brothers is a solid choice IMO for interviewing. If you can wait til Black Friday and go to an BB outlet, you can probably pick it up for around 150 and also get a 346 BB tie and dress shirt for cheap. You could go next door to pick up Bostonians and socks. If you still want a dept store suit, I would still wait til Thanksgiving.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

So I went with a charcoal grey for the suit (Calvin Klein, Slim), a light blue shirt (not button down), and a darkish red/light-blue-purple striped tie with a subtle (literally a paper-thin lining) gold-yellow accent. The light-blue-purple color on the tie doesn't exactly match my shirt, but it's very close, and hard to distinguish unless you're looking for it. I liked this fact, but if it's something I should watch out for, returning the shirt shouldn't be an issue.

I still have to get shoes, so I'll look into some of the above suggestions. What do you guys think about buying used Park Avenues? :p

Thanks for the advice so far, my older brother tried to cheap out on the tailoring when I went suit shopping with him, so I might have to get it somewhat adjusted more when I pick it up this week (he didn't want me to pay another 20 bucks for the jacket length to be adjusted), but I should have the time.

Hey guys,

So I went with a charcoal grey for the suit (Calvin Klein, Slim), a light blue shirt (not button down), and a darkish red/light-blue-purple striped tie with a subtle (literally a paper-thin lining) gold-yellow accent. The light-blue-purple color on the tie doesn't exactly match my shirt, but it's very close, and hard to distinguish unless you're looking for it. I liked this fact, but if it's something I should watch out for, returning the shirt shouldn't be an issue.

I still have to get shoes, so I'll look into some of the above suggestions. What do you guys think about buying used Park Avenues? :p

Thanks for the advice so far, my older brother tried to cheap out on the tailoring when I went suit shopping with him, so I might have to get it somewhat adjusted more when I pick it up this week (he didn't want me to pay another 20 bucks for the jacket length to be adjusted), but I should have the time.

Everything sounds pretty good, except maybe for the tie. Is the dominant color on the tie dark red? People around here go a little overboard with "NO RED TIES", when actually red is a great color as long as it isn't too deep of a shade and/or it's broken up with a pattern. You might be fine but just something to think about.

I personally would not buy used shoes, but people do it and I'm sure you can find good deals that way.

As for the tailoring are you referring to the length of the sleeves or the length of the jacket itself? Sleeves are easy peasy, but shortening the jacket is more difficult & expensive to achieve. Make sure you go for a little waist suppression. Here on SDN we just say "NO" to boxy suits.

It's definitely broken up with a pattern, and the shade isn't very deep at all, it's similar to this shade/style: http://www.cheap-neckties.com/images/ties/SB1017_md_CNT.jpg (not nearly as noisy as this one though)

Yeah, so far browsing eBay I've seen some pretty nice deals on barely used shoes.

I'm sorry, I was referring to the sleeve length of the jacket. In any case, I'm definitely going to see a decent tailor to get the suit perfectly fitted, the people at the Nordstrom rack spent like 30 seconds adjusting it since the line was pretty long.

Hey guys,

I bought a pair of used PAs on eBay and I'm happy with them. It's not ideal, obviously, but I'm happy with the shoes. Here is an awesome guide to buying AEs online, so you know what to look for: http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashion...iculously_comprehensive_guide_to_buying_used/

Great, thanks for the guide, I'll definitely refer to it before making my final purchase. I'll head over to Nordstrom's to figure out my exact fit sometime soon.

light grey suits?

I wore a light grey suit, as my coloring is a bit darker (mixed indian/causian), and I'm really tall/thin (38L). In colder climates, added a black cashmere button vest. Conservative tie, very lightly grey striped white shirt and cotton pocket square (didn't go for silk). Stands out a bit from all the blue suits, but not in a bad way. Basically, I feel comfortable in it, and it helps with confidence, not worrying about the clothes but making sure I am focused on what folks are saying and watching for social ques.

I wore a light grey suit, as my coloring is a bit darker (mixed indian/causian), and I'm really tall/thin (38L). In colder climates, added a black cashmere button vest. Conservative tie, very lightly grey striped white shirt and cotton pocket square (didn't go for silk). Stands out a bit from all the blue suits, but not in a bad way. Basically, I feel comfortable in it, and it helps with confidence, not worrying about the clothes but making sure I am focused on what folks are saying and watching for social ques.

While this may have worked for you, I would not recommend it for everybody. In general it's probably best to be as conservative as possible. I feel like I've said it a lot, but that means: navy or charcoal suit, white or light blue shirt, conservative tie, black cap-toe oxfords with black belt, and minimal accessories.

While this may have worked for you, I would not recommend it for everybody. In general it's probably best to be as conservative as possible. I feel like I've said it a lot, but that means: navy or charcoal suit, white or light blue shirt, conservative tie, black cap-toe oxfords with black belt, and minimal accessories.

True, but I feel like people with darker skin look good in light grey suits. I'm a noob, but light grey suits on darker fellows looks relatively conservative compared to light grey suits on light caucasians.

True, but I feel like people with darker skin look good in light grey suits. I'm a noob, but light grey suits on darker fellows looks relatively conservative compared to light grey suits on light caucasians.
Honestly in my opinion people with darker skin tend to look great in just about any color. Yeah I'm jeally.

However, I agree with the above post that the ensemble described is probably a bit too flashy for most people looking for basic advice. People who know the rules, have a sense of style, and some confidence can certainly deviate from the absolute "safest options" gracefully. I just don't think most people who come here are on that level and as such would be best off playing it safe.

Reactions: 1 user
Should I be conservative and wear a white shirt? Or is it okay to wear something dark?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but thoughts on facial hair? I shaved my beard, but I honestly think I look better, older, and more professional with at least something on my face.

I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but thoughts on facial hair? I shaved my beard, but I honestly think I look better, older, and more professional with at least something on my face.
Keep it off until after your interview. Trust me, literally nobody is going to see a clean shaven face and think "wow that's weird... why didn't he have his chinstrap/muttonchops/soulpatch/pedostache grown out... what a weirdo!!"

On the other hand, since medicine is still a conservative profession, there is a chance that a more traditional/conservative interviewer would consider facial hair unprofessional. As with so many things related to appearance, having stubble or facial hair is of course NOT a dealbreaker. But if you want to make the optimal decision, go clean-shaven.

Should I be conservative and wear a white shirt? Or is it okay to wear something dark?
White is good. Light blue is good too, but personally I don't like it when I'm wearing a blue tie. Save dark for formal social event or going out on the town, not conservative interviews.

There is a residency program director who is notorious for going through application photos and refusing to invite applicants with facial hair. Don't do it.

TBH, you don't need much. I didn't bring anything to my interviews because I couldn't think of a reason to, and likely won't bring anything to my residency interviews either. A pen in your pocket should be good enough.

I read that I should bring any published articles with me. I like the idea of having a portfolio with me for their pamphlets too. Any suggestions on what to get? How does this one look?

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Organiz...=1385242775&sr=8-5&keywords=leather+portfolio

.... but its Movember

maxresdefault.jpg

I wore a nicely trimmed goatee to all of my interviews. I am aware that I look young without facial hair (like 18 years old), so the risk was worth it to me. I am sitting on a few acceptances, so I think as long as it's neat, you can do what you want!

I lost the eyepatch, though (jk).

Also, I think a light colored shirt like sky blue or lavender is appropriate. I wouldn't do a dark color or patterned shirt. White is always fine, but everyone wears white.

I read that I should bring any published articles with me. I like the idea of having a portfolio with me for their pamphlets too. Any suggestions on what to get? How does this one look?

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Organizer-Black-Leather-Padfolio/dp/B009YAD266/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1385242775&sr=8-5&keywords=leather portfolio

That looks fine. Personally I don't bring one as they usually give you a folder full of stuff. The only thing you really should bring is a pen.

1) Im not interviewing this cycle but what is the consensus on skinny ties? I read the last few pages not sure if I missed it
2) Is this color too light? Im tan (indian)
3) Is getting hair lined up bad? (been doing it most of my life)
suit.jpg

I personally think every guy should own a solid navy blue suit. Wear it with light to dark brown shoes and matching socks and belt. Also, yellow tie makes it pop. I bought a 3-piece navy blue suit and it was worth every dollar. You will be using it for much more than your medical school interviews; worth the investment.

Ax3XyJa.jpg

Thoughts on this tie? Paired with a light blue shirt/charcoal suit.

Very nice, provided that the detail in the red is 'woven in' and not printed on.

Ax3XyJa.jpg

Thoughts on this tie? Paired with a light blue shirt/charcoal suit.

Like it. On the skinny tie note, I've been wearing one to my interviews with plenty of compliments on it.

Just wanted to ask if Guys still got their shoes shined? Told one of my letter writers I have a few interviews coming up and she said make sure I get my shoes shined:confused:. I don't know if its a southern thing or if she was joking.

Just wanted to ask if Guys still got their shoes shined? Told one of my letter writers I have a few interviews coming up and she said make sure I get my shoes shined:confused:. I don't know if its a southern thing or if she was joking.
I do it myself, I think most guys do (at least younger guys). It is an important part of regular shoe care if you want them to last.

Depends on what the definition of skinny is.

2.5 to 2.75 inches is totally acceptable but still would technically be a "skinny" tie

I'd avoid the rail-thin 2 inch and under ties. But otherwise if you are a skinny man, 2.5 inch ties probably look a lot better than a 3+ inch tie.

Agreed.

Honestly in my opinion people with darker skin tend to look great in just about any color. Yeah I'm jeally.

However, I agree with the above post that the ensemble described is probably a bit too flashy for most people looking for basic advice. People who know the rules, have a sense of style, and some confidence can certainly deviate from the absolute "safest options" gracefully. I just don't think most people who come here are on that level and as such would be best off playing it safe.

Just got back from an interview in the great white north, and I wore my Light Grey Suit (the Calvin Klein Slim 38 L) with a black cashmere button up sweater vest, because it was so cold!!! Some other interviewees remarked about my "3 piece suit", and said it really looked good. Maybe they were being nice, but I was warm and comfortable. It is all about attitude and confidence (and a sister with a really good fashion sense).

I wore a black suit with a lavender shirt. Tie was a balance between...main color black with purple stripes.

Honestly, most interviewers aren't going to eat you alive over your appearance unless you do something stupid. So don't do something stupid.

I wore a black suit with a lavender shirt. Tie was a balance between...main color black with purple stripes.

Honestly, most interviewers aren't going to eat you alive over your appearance unless you do something stupid. So don't do something stupid.
I would classify going out in public like that as "doing something stupid"

I would classify going out in public like that as "doing something stupid"

How is that stupid? Your "Be conservative" advice is pretty hollow. There's nothing that says you need to wear a blue suit with a red power-tie.

hskY8Zx.jpg

Brb not wearing my dad's suit to a med school interview.

Trolling much?

How is that stupid? Your "Be conservative" advice is pretty hollow. There's nothing that says you need to wear a blue suit with a red power-tie.
Correct, there is nothing that says you need to wear that (including my posts on this site).

This discussion has been had over and over and over. 3 word summary: optimal decision making. I leave it to you to search through this thread and elsewhere in pre-allo if you're still confused.

Correct, there is nothing that says you need to wear that (including my posts on this site).

This discussion has been had over and over and over. 3 word summary: optimal decision making. I leave it to you to search through this thread and elsewhere in pre-allo if you're still confused.

2 words:

Since we're attempting to make condescending comments and all. Good luck with your app cycle.

hskY8Zx.jpg

Brb not wearing my dad's suit to a med school interview.

Trolling much?
That "be conservative" advice has come from attendings, residents, faculty, etc. throughout this thread. It's certainly not hollow. I admit that the picture looks quite a bit different from what I imagined based on your description, but to intentionally not dress in a conservative way if you have the option to do so is stupid, for the simple reason that it flouts sound advice coming from the people who are deciding whether or not you get into medical school.

That "be conservative" advice has come from attendings, residents, faculty, etc. throughout this thread. It's certainly not hollow. I admit that the picture looks quite a bit different from what I imagined based on your description, but to intentionally not dress in a conservative way if you have the option to do so is stupid, for the simple reason that it flaunts sound advice coming from the people who are deciding whether or not you get into medical school.

"Be conservative" is meant to deter people from pulling out completely off-the-wall suit/tie/shoe combinations in an attempt to gather attention, while making themselves look unprofessional in the process.

That being said, I stand by my original point. So long as you don't do anything amazingly stupid, I find it hard to believe that an interviewer is going to bring you into their office and say "So. About that tie/those shoes/ that suit..."

And lol. I went back and read my description. I don't know how else I could have described it.

2 words:

Since we're attempting to make condescending comments and all.
It always strikes me as odd how people take it as an existential attack when they first learn they aren't supposed to be wearing black suits. It's almost as if people would rather hear that their MCAT score sucks than that their suit is the wrong color.

Also, nice edit. Gotta soften the blow a little right?

It always strikes me as odd how people take it as an existential attack when they first learn they aren't supposed to be wearing black suits. It's almost as if people would rather hear that their MCAT score sucks than that their suit is the wrong color.

Also, nice edit. Gotta soften the blow a little right?

It strikes me as odd how people generally subscribe to the notion that black suits are unwearable due to rules they can't logically explain (Look bad during the day, only for funerals, waiters, too tuxedo-ish yada yada)...except probably on forums like misc.

I'm awfully glad my interviewers didn't read styleforum.com...or subscribe to "rules" that would have sent me out the door for wearing a black suit.

Again. People entering in medical school are young, hopeful professionals (hopefully). If your interviewer is chastising what you're wearing to that level of detail, then I'm honestly surprised.

The dress code hasn't changed for about 100 years: charcoal suit (tailored), fitting tie, buffed shoes. Just pretend like you're a doctor a conference or something.

With that said, I forgot to shave and never took out my earrings (accepted just fine), though you probably shouldn't do that.

It strikes me as odd how people generally subscribe to the notion that black suits are unwearable due to rules they can't logically explain (Look bad during the day, only for funerals, waiters, too tuxedo-ish yada yada)...except probably on forums like misc.

I'm awfully glad my interviewers didn't read styleforum.com...or subscribe to "rules" that would have sent me out the door for wearing a black suit.

Again. People entering in medical school are young, hopeful professionals (hopefully). If your interviewer is chastising what you're wearing to that level of detail, then I'm honestly surprised.
For the millionth time, and I'm only addressing this because the thread keeps getting bumped and I want to leave any rookies with the right idea if they're clicking through, nobody is saying you'll get "sent out the door" or (at least openly) "chastised" during an interview. Nevertheless, appearance and presentation are important in that setting. Like anything else in life, and like every other part of your application, you have many options to choose from. Volunteer at a hospital or an elderly care center? Take TPR or Kaplan MCAT prep? Shadow this summer or work in a research lab? Most applicants spend a great deal of time thinking about questions like these and trying to figure out which decision will best help their chances of admission. I'm sure that in any given situation, applicants would prefer to make the best possible choice, even when it might only have a minimal impact on their odds. Thus, we should approach interview attire with the same attitude with which we treat all other application-related topics and steer people towards making the most optimal decisions possible. Yes, plenty of people get in making sub-optimal decisions, this is true in every possible aspect of the application process. That doesn't change the objective quality of the decisions and I'm sure all applicants want to make the best ones.

Attire may seem frivolous, as often the rules of "conservative business dress" can be arbitrary or obscure. But it's undeniable that excellent, conventional dress communicates professionalism and attention to detail. Adhering to those conventions is clearly the most optimal choice. Now, will you please take your "good enough" advice and ugly black suit apologism elsewhere? Didn't you say something about misc?

Reactions: 4 users
It is honestly shocking that a community so obsessed with pre-med minutia would so aggressively object to very simple and well established style guidelines.

Reactions: 3 users
"Be conservative" is meant to deter people from pulling out completely off-the-wall suit/tie/shoe combinations in an attempt to gather attention, while making themselves look unprofessional in the process.

That being said, I stand by my original point. So long as you don't do anything amazingly stupid, I find it hard to believe that an interviewer is going to bring you into their office and say "So. About that tie/those shoes/ that suit..."

They won't, but that's not the point. First impressions are everything, and when I interview med school candidates I notice immediately if they're wearing conservative business attire...or something else. I don't actively write about it or talk about it or judge them, but it's probably naive to think that it doesn't subconsciously affect my opinion. Dressing appropriately for the interview is important. Period.

Reactions: 3 users
Will a black suit keep you out of medical school?
Will a perfectly cut navy or charcoal suit get you into medical school?

The answer to both questions is almost certainly not -- unless your application is on the border, in which case, the optimal choice in interview attire (which will influence first impressions) might be just enough to tip the balance.

What self-respecting pre-med would choose to let something totally within his control work against him?

A few words for those who are going outside the box with their interview attire...

There is always an odd misconception among young men that the colors associated with conservative business dress (CBD) are always boring and oldmannish i.e. navy/charcoal suit, light shirt, dark tie, and black shoes. However, a well-fitting, soft-shouldered birdseye midnight navy suit, a white supima cotton shirt with high collar roll, a navy 7-fold grenadine, and chisel- or almond-toed black balmorals with a pegged waist is an absolutely stunning look while still falling within the limits of CBD. On the flip side, an ill-fitting light grey shirt, a purple polyester, flat-collared shirt, shiny silver tie, and square-toed, corrected-grain chestnut shoes is not so hot. Colors are a great way to change both formality and "excitement" of an outfit, but not the only parameter. I also mentioned this idea when chiming in on the brown vs black shoe debate.

So in the context of medical school interviews, why must you mess with color? Improve the details like fabric and collar-roll to make your outfit more exciting, and don't risk (however minimal, minimal it may be) of putting off the impression that you underestimated the formality of the interview and look like you're dressed to go clubbing.

Also, the standard colors of CBD were chosen for a reason. Navy/charcoal are universally flattering while severe, while lighter greys, neutrals, and black can washout your complexion, depending on your skin tone. Shirts are light-colored because a contrast between layers prevents washing out as well.

I also previously suggested going with navy/charcoal because they are the most versatile, flattering colors. A dark navy or charcoal is not out of place in the daytime or the nighttime, and not out of place at an interview or at the club.

Cheers

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else see the suit Shannon Sharpe was wearing on NFL Today this Sunday? I'm thinking about something similar if I get more interviews - thoughts???

shannon-sharpe-purple-velvet-jacket-570x345.jpg

Reactions: 2 users