Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else see the suit Shannon Sharpe was wearing on NFL Today this Sunday? I'm thinking about something similar if I get more interviews - thoughts???

shannon-sharpe-purple-velvet-jacket-570x345.jpg

Do itttttt

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing says conservative business dress like crushed velvet.
I saw an elderly gentleman wearing a dark blue velvet suit today while walking into my building. Small confession: I took a snapchat.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Bought my first unlined grenadine tie this weekend :soexcited:. Can't wait to wear this to interview/work.

500x1000px-LL-60a70650_photo.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
This thread should be about 10 posts long. Someone PM'd me once asking what he should wear. I responded. "A suit." That's legit all you need to know. You already know the rest.

Did anyone else see the suit Shannon Sharpe was wearing on NFL Today this Sunday? I'm thinking about something similar if I get more interviews - thoughts???

shannon-sharpe-purple-velvet-jacket-570x345.jpg
That would be unbelievable, haha. I would accept you

Members don't see this ad :)
do yall put on cologne?
Even the most awesome cologne ever made in the history of the entire world only works every time 60% of the time. The risk of getting an interviewer who hates the smell of your man-musk is just too high in my opinion.

Make sure you don't smell bad (obviously), but leave the Sex Panther at home.

Even the most awesome cologne ever made in the history of the entire world only works every time 60% of the time. The risk of getting an interviewer who hates the smell of your man-musk is just too high in my opinion.

Make sure you don't smell bad (obviously), but leave the Sex Panther at home.

not even this?
musk_oud_50ml.jpg

Hi everybody. I am having a hard time deciding between two navy blue ties. Should I wear a striped (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NVYDJO/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) or polka dots (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NTLM52/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I heard polka dots are a little "clowny" and I got some good compliments already on the striped tie (haven't worn the polka dots yet). Anybody have any input?
I like the polka dots more, but that's just me. From the picture it looked like the dots are small, so it shouldn't be "clowny"

Reactions: 1 users
Either works, but I prefer the closer weave of the fabric on the dot tie personally. As long as you keep the dots small (the one you linked to is great), it's totally appropriate. I wore something really similar on residency interviews.

Hi everybody. I am having a hard time deciding between two navy blue ties. Should I wear a striped (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NVYDJO/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) or polka dots (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NTLM52/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I heard polka dots are a little "clowny" and I got some good compliments already on the striped tie (haven't worn the polka dots yet). Anybody have any input?

It might just be the picture, but I really hate the first (striped) one. I dislike the pattern and the fact that it looks annoyingly shiny.

I don't think the 'polka dot' one looks bad.

I recently bought an unlined navy genadine tie and really love it. It is solid and navy so it pretty much goes with anything, but the texture of the weave is really cool and adds a nice dimension it. I posted a picture of the tie earlier in this thread.

What do you think of this (I like it more than striped one you had):
http://www.amazon.com/100-Silk-Navy-Classic-Twill/dp/B003DVH24U/ref=pd_sim_a_31

The stripe is very elegant and a much nicer fabric. Plus the lighter blue gives it more contrast and 'punch' than the darker navy. The red & navy stripe above is nice too

It might just be the picture, but I really hate the first (striped) one. I dislike the pattern and the fact that it looks annoyingly shiny.

I don't think the 'polka dot' one looks bad.

I recently bought an unlined navy genadine tie and really love it. It is solid and navy so it pretty much goes with anything, but the texture of the weave is really cool and adds a nice dimension it. I posted a picture of the tie earlier in this thread.

What do you think of this (I like it more than striped one you had):
http://www.amazon.com/100-Silk-Navy-Classic-Twill/dp/B003DVH24U/ref=pd_sim_a_31
Thank you for your response. That's a nice looking tie but I like blue more than red.

The picture of the striped tie may be misleading - it is not that shiny in real life, but it does have a slight glisten to it.

Thank you for your response. That's a nice looking tie but I like blue more than red.

The picture of the striped tie may be misleading - it is not that shiny in real life, but it does have a slight glisten to it.
I also prefer the dot pattern although both of the ties you posted are good choices. Personal preference

I am thinking of switching from frame-less glasses to these Begley's from Warby Parker. I know some of you might think it too nerdy or retro, but I am really in love with these. My main concern: Are these too "out there" for med school? I know some older physicians are a bit conservative and I don't want to leave a bad first impression. Am I overthinking this? This is really for med school, not interviews, but I don't want to make a new thread.
begley-optical-whiskey-tortoise-front-zoom_1_1.jpg

3a021bc961bb8049be1f0fec2918a2a9.jpg

I am thinking of switching from frame-less glasses to these Begley's from Warby Parker. I know some of you might think it too nerdy or retro, but I am really in love with these. My main concern: Are these too "out there" for med school? I know some older physicians are a bit conservative and I don't want to leave a bad first impression. Am I overthinking this? This is really for med school, not interviews, but I don't want to make a new thread.

One of my interviewers (an ophthalmologist) wore a pair that looked just like these. He had patients scheduled right after our interview, so I'm assuming he wears them in the hospital. I think you'll be fine!

There are a lot of people with these floating around. Can't say they're my favorite, but nobody will blink an eye.

Is a linen suit too flashy/informal?

Is a linen suit too flashy/informal?

I generally think of linen suits as fine for temps over 80 or between Memorial Day and Labor Day. (OK outside of those dates if the temp is over 80) Most interviews take place between Labor Day and the end of February so the window for linen suits will be limited to the Deep South in the early autumn.

Anyone ever wear nice boots to an interview instead of dress shoes? My boots are way nicer than any dress shoes I own but I wasn't sure how it would look to interviewers.

Anyone ever wear nice boots to an interview instead of dress shoes? My boots are way nicer than any dress shoes I own but I wasn't sure how it would look to interviewers.

dress boots!

Thats what I rocked, solid blacks with a shine. Almost went with two tone red and black shoes, but against my better judgement I stuck with the boots. Pending my acceptance we shall see if I made the right decision

I cannot believe how many men I see wear red ties in an interview. Literally every interview I went to, I saw at least one man wearing a red tie.

Geez....I am offended for the adcom.

dress boots!

Thats what I rocked, solid blacks with a shine. Almost went with two tone red and black shoes, but against my better judgement I stuck with the boots. Pending my acceptance we shall see if I made the right decision

Right on. I'm thinking about the solid blacks as well. I don't see anything wrong with it especially in Texas.

I cannot believe how many men I see wear red ties in an interview. Literally every interview I went to, I saw at least one man wearing a red tie.

Geez....I am offended for the adcom.

Oxblood?

Its my shiz

shopping

I rocked these, I feel like as long as you don't get too heel happy/massive toe happy its apropriate

This is more of what I was thinking

Attachments

• 1397435136530.jpg
    1397435136530.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 50
shopping

I rocked these, I feel like as long as you don't get too heel happy/massive toe happy its apropriate
You cannot see how high those boots are with your slacks covering them.