Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it an issue of too much drop or not enough? Some suit lines have a more drastic drop than others

Not enough drop, I'll have to look into some other lines. It seems like there is some flexibility ordering online but the markup is ridiculous.

Some of the athletic cuts might work for you. At my biggest, I was a 48L with a 34 waist. Many suits are clearly cut with fatties in mind at that jacket size. I settled into 46/36 for a long while now I'm back up to 48 with my last suit. I'd like to think it was all muscle, but if I lost 10 or 15 pounds, I bet I could squeeze into a 46.

That is exactly what my proportions are 48/34. The best drop I I can find for a 48 is to a 38. I like the slim fits, except for this new fashion where your pant legs are too short so you can show off weird socks... frickin hipsters.

Members don't see this ad.

It would be very unusual for a guy to have a discrepancy so large that a good tailor couldn't fix it.
In any case, it would be a big mistake to wear slacks and a blazer instead of a matching suit.

It's actually fairly common among people who lift weights regularly and have a reasonably athletic physique.

I don't think he was alluding to wearing odd trousers and a sport coat. Just "suit separates" where the pants can be purchased independent of the size of the jacket.

Also, it's difficult to find suit brands that don't have ridiculously low arm holes. You would be amazed at the difference slightly higher arm holes make on a suit jacket, both in the look and the feel/functionality. That's another reason to go MTM.

Yeah I usually do okay with the standard suit drop... have to get the waist taken in a bit but otherwise looks fine. But by and large off the rack suit companies who make a size 48 jacket aren't making it for athletes...they're making it for obese people.

They're making them for the guys old enough to wear suits daily and rich enough to pay for them! So yeah, not the lifters... :rolleyes:
If you do go the suit separates route, pay particular attention to the quality of the fabric. Solid navy would probably be your best bet in a moderately-priced suit line as less-expensive black and pin-stripes can often look 'tacky'.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
This is one of the suits that I will be wearing (minus the vest, of course). What are your thoughts on the tie in the photo? Could I get away with a burgundy grenadine skinny tie? I'd like to also wear brown shoes; too trendy? I'm undecided if I will be wearing a white or light blue shirt at the moment. Thoughts on all of this? thanks.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/bar-iii-suit-separates-midnight-blue-slim-fit?ID=801112#pdpTabs

So I saw on here some people talking about navy suits with (chocolate) brown shoes and, after researching some pictures, I think it looks really sharp and a little more unique and likely to stand out than charcoal so I was considering going with that. I went on styleforum, though, and it seemed like some people on there were saying that it's not very professional/formal. Can anyone on here weigh in on this?

Also, what color shirt and tie would you guys recommend with that navy suit / brown shoe combo? White shirt? Would any other colors be acceptable?

Going to Men's Wearhouse tomorrow so they'll probably have some advice too.

So I saw on here some people talking about navy suits with (chocolate) brown shoes and, after researching some pictures, I think it looks really sharp and a little more unique and likely to stand out than charcoal so I was considering going with that. I went on styleforum, though, and it seemed like some people on there were saying that it's not very professional/formal. Can anyone on here weigh in on this?

Also, what color shirt and tie would you guys recommend with that navy suit / brown shoe combo? White shirt? Would any other colors be acceptable?

Brown shoes are considered more casual.

Traditionally, the choice with a navy suit is cordovan (a wine color); of course, grey or black will work as well. If you're going to do brown, make them very dark, darker than your navy suit.

Don't count on "Men's Wearhouse" to give you any real advice. Most of the guys who work there are not stylists and don't do this for a living. Its like the difference between a career waiter at an upscale restaurant and someone who doing it for a summer job.

A white shirt is classic but boring; you could consider a light blue, a periwinkle, lavender or even a pale pink.

Reactions: 1 users
What do you all think about class rings? I have this beautiful (but large) gold class ring I love to wear.

I'm afraid it might seem gaudy, but what do you guys think?

I'm from the south so I have my share of pink attire (matches the seersucker...) but I probably wouldn't chance it for an interview. Especially if you're someone who is taking fashion advice from men's warehouse as that indicates you should stick to the basics...
LOL…do you really wear seersucker? :love:

I think a brighter pink can be difficult for some but I was thinking of a very pale pink rather than a rose. But yeah, if he's getting his fashion advice from Men's Wearhouse, who's knows what he'll come home with. :wideyed:

What do you all think about class rings? I have this beautiful (but large) gold class ring I love to wear.

I'm afraid it might seem gaudy, but what do you guys think?
If its self-described as large your interviewers will probably agree.

Unless its a wedding, military or Super Bowl ring, I'd stay away .

I tend to agree with the navy/brown look being very casual looking, which is why I had my charcoal suit re-tailored so I could go that route. I wear navy to parties and gatherings, but I go darker for professional things.

I'm still undecided if ill wear the brown shoes with the charcoal as I think it looks good and less casual than the navy, but we'll see. black might just be safer. it isn't a fashion show after all. better to not be noticed for your fashion sense than to be noticed for a negative reason, at least in my opinion.

Dark button down under the jacket?
Button-down shirts are typically considered casual wear and I would not recommend them for a professional interview.

The mono chromatic shirt and jacket look is very popular but you can run the risk of looking like a "Goodfella". Again it's probably not best for this type of interview because it can be a tricky look to pull off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dark button down under the jacket?

Just No.
Best case, a dark shirt looks "fashionable"; worst case, it looks "gangsta".
Neither look is what you're going for, which is "professional."

derp.. didn't read... thought he was asking about color of the buttons on his suit lol.

no i would not ever wear a dark shirt under my suit. would look weird honestly.

this you at your interviews @Optimus-Prime ?

lol
61042.jpg

How long do suits take to get tailored?
depends....

i bought mine about a month ago.. had the right size for me, but wrong color so got it shipped.. first set of alterations took 2 weeks but the pants still aren't right so i'm out another week.

i would plan on buying it ASAP if you are waiting to hear on interview invites... would hate for you to have to turn an early interview date down because you don't have a suit.

If you aren't familiar with your big chain store's tailoring, it's usually best not to risk it if you're short on time. I'd recommend googling the best tailors in your area, because though they may be a little bit pricier, the quality of work on average will be much better and you'll be more satisfied. just my $0.02

What are thoughts on a grey/charcoal suit with brown shoes?

Dark brown shoes work better with navy suits (and only if you know how to pull it off). I'd stick to black shoes with a grey suit.

I'm a fan. I think the professional look of the dark suit balances out the slightly more casual look of a brown shoe. I prefer lighter brown though.

Got my suits and "advice" from Mens Wearhouse and I think they look great soooooo......

Got my suits and "advice" from Mens Wearhouse and I think they look great soooooo......

I agree. I went two days ago and got two suits, one navy and one charcoal, along with some other things. I feel like everything looked great and the suggestions/advice they gave me were pretty much on par with what everyone's been saying on here.

Without knowing anything about your ability to dress yourself well/correctly, this is a meaningless comment. MW thrives off of people who are so clueless that they think MW does a good job.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
It would be very unusual for a guy to have a discrepancy so large that a good tailor couldn't fix it.
In any case, it would be a big mistake to wear slacks and a blazer instead of a matching suit.

I'm pushing past that point with 40-42 chest and 30-32 waist depending on the cut. I'm 5'10 and 165 lbs. It's not that hard to find people with proportions like mine. I'm not huge, but carry some muscle. 10 drop+ is rare and more common in italian brands like canali, which are also far more expensive.

Lots of companies these days sell suit separates (j crew, jos a banks, most dept store brands, even brooks brothers is dabbling in it in their lower end stuff). Also some of the online MTM companies will obviously adjust the sizing from the standard 6-7 inch drop.

I don't think he meant blazer/slacks, but rather suit separates.

Yup. Separates can be a decent option in these cases. Honestly, they'll look fine.

Yeah suit separates; once you get past 4-6 inches altering pants becomes quite the task. The belt loops, crotch, girth of the actual leg, etc. Its doable, at a cost. Separates make altering a much simpler task.

Found a pretty good set of calvin klein black micro-pinstripes, the suit separate market is pretty limited though.

Don't do pinstripes if you can avoid it. Maybe check express? Honestly, you just need something passable that fits you well, doesn't brace at chest, and doesn't have stupid skinny lapels.

Not enough drop, I'll have to look into some other lines. It seems like there is some flexibility ordering online but the markup is ridiculous.

That is exactly what my proportions are 48/34. The best drop I I can find for a 48 is to a 38. I like the slim fits, except for this new fashion where your pant legs are too short so you can show off weird socks... frickin hipsters.

Might be worth buying up the next inseam length and/or getting it altered.

Sounds like you need to quit skipping leg day lol.

But in all seriousness I'd wait for a j crew sale.

If you have a slim waist and lift heavy for legs, it's probably going to cause even more issues. I used to have to buy 2+ inches bigger pants in the waist because my thighs wouldn't fit in the pants otherwise.

It's actually fairly common among people who lift weights regularly and have a reasonably athletic physique.

I don't think he was alluding to wearing odd trousers and a sport coat. Just "suit separates" where the pants can be purchased independent of the size of the jacket.

Also, it's difficult to find suit brands that don't have ridiculously low arm holes. You would be amazed at the difference slightly higher arm holes make on a suit jacket, both in the look and the feel/functionality. That's another reason to go MTM.

High armholes are harder for people who are muscular. If the armholes are cut too high, as with slim fit stuff, I can't really reach forward in a suit at all because my lats don't have enough room when they flare.

Yes, for most brands the suit separates are a lower quality, but not all. I do agree that cheap pinstripe suits usually don't look great (esp if it is a wide stripe).

Wide stripe is usually a chalkstripe.

I think a micro-herringbone/birds eye/ etc is fine, but I'd recommend against stripes if possible. You can look great in a pinstripe suit, but some of them really just don't look all that great and some stripes come off as more informal than intended.

If you're looking for a used suit, it really helps to have a pair of pants and a jacket that fit you well.

Measure jacket like this: http://askandyaboutclothes.com/clothing/style-tips/how-to-measure-a-jacket/

Measure pant waist laid flat, inseam, leg opening, and thigh at crotch. As someone else here noted, making a waist adjustment of more than 2 inches can throw off the proportions, though I like my pants to fit a bit slimmer (8 inch leg opening) and usually have that alteration made.

I'd budget 2-4 weeks for alterations since some things need changes after the initial alterations.

Without knowing anything about your ability to dress yourself well/correctly, this is a meaningless comment. MW thrives off of people who are so clueless that they think MW does a good job.
Lol ok dude...

Last edited:
Well I'm glad you have your opinions. For anyone on here that still needs a suit, as long as you have a decent idea of how to dress you will be absolutely fine going to MW. You will look just as good as the folks who devote time to the study of how to dress "correctly." I guarantee it ;)

You can get a reasonable, affordable, well fitting suit at Men's Warehouse.

You can also spend thousands of dollars on a custom suit and look like a fool.

You can also end up with some combination of everything in between.

But I would say that the majority of pre-meds interviewing for med school, and med students interviewing for residency, show up in an ill-fitting suit, a poorly coordinated shirt and tie, and an overall look that screams child playing dress up, rather than professional adult. So I'd say most of the target audience doesn't have a "decent idea" of how to dress, and would probably be better served at a store where the sales associates and tailors can offer a little more help.

(*Cue the angry pre-meds who tell me it shouldn't matter how well their suit fits since that's not the point of the interview, and that no one ever got rejected because of a bad tie choice)
I agree. My main point is just the people who think it's completely impossible to get good fitting, good looking interview attire at MW are just as ill-informed as those that they are describing.

I agree. My main point is just the people who think it's completely impossible to get good fitting, good looking interview attire at MW are just as ill-informed as those that they are describing.
No one (certainly not me) said it was impossible to get a good fitting, good looking suit at MW. However the odds are a lot less than at a higher end store with quality professional fashion stylists and tailoring.

My point was that there are large number of premeds and medical students who have shopped at the former or on their own and are convinced they look good when what shows up for interview day is a hot mess. Someone is telling these guys they look fine or even "good":

- wearing athletic white socks
- wearing a suit that belongs to a man either much heavier, or much taller or shorter (usually someone borrowing their fathers suit)
- wearing a suit from a different era as evidenced by lapel width or other style changes
- the dreaded square toe casual slip on black shoe
- the athletic shoe (although to be fair I gave this guy the benefit of the doubt that perhaps his luggage was lost)
- French cuff shirt without cufflinks
- horrible color combinations
- no suit at all but rather a prep school blazer and khakis
-missing buttons on jackets or shirts (this is completely unacceptable if you're interviewing for a surgical residency; you should be able to figure out how to sew a damn button on)

It's cool. His reading comprehension needs a bit of work.

Re: suits from a different era. Depends on the era! Mine's a brooks suit from the 90's. Lapels are slightly wider and gorge is a hair lower, but it is not a power suit. Thank goodness!

It's cool. His reading comprehension needs a bit of work.

Re: suits from a different era. Depends on the era! Mine's a brooks suit from the 90's. Lapels are slightly wider and gorge is a hair lower, but it is not a power suit. Thank goodness!

Physicians, especially academic ones, are unlikely to notice small things like that.

My cousin, when applying for a more professional job (he'd been a graphic designer for a well known Chicago museum and could wear khakis and a down vest to work) was given his fathers suits which "suited" his thrifty nature. His father, who was not known for his fashion sense (rumply PhD), had been deceased for years, was a different size (heavier and shorter) and the suits were probably out of style when he bought them.

My other cousin (a legit fashion stylist) and I were like, "oh hell no". LOL

No one (certainly not me) said it was impossible to get a good fitting, good looking suit at MW. However the odds are a lot less than at a higher end store with quality professional fashion stylists and tailoring.

What exactly qualifies as a higher end store?

Physicians, especially academic ones, are unlikely to notice small things like that.

My cousin, when applying for a more professional job (he'd been a graphic designer for a well known Chicago museum and could wear khakis and a down vest to work) was given his fathers suits which "suited" his thrifty nature. His father, who was not known for his fashion sense (rumply PhD), had been deceased for years, was a different size (heavier and shorter) and the suits were probably out of style when he bought them.

My other cousin (a legit fashion stylist) and I were like, "oh hell no". LOL

Haha, that's hilarious.

Since some of this stuff is cyclical, a lot of the older stuff I've thrifted is old enough that it's fashionable again!

What exactly qualifies as a higher end store?

Pretty much anything is higher end than MW/JAB/Macys/JCPenney. He's referring to menswear stores or stores with higher end menswear.

Examples are: Carson street clothiers, Charles Tyrwitt, Brooks Brothers, Barneys, Saks 5th Avenue. Etc.

Haha, that's hilarious.

Since some of this stuff is cyclical, a lot of the older stuff I've thrifted is old enough that it's fashionable again!

True. But it takes a discerning eye to tell the difference between good vintage and something that needs to stay in the closet (perhaps never to be allowed out).

Pretty much anything is higher end than MW/JAB/Macys/JCPenney. He's referring to menswear stores or stores with higher end menswear.

Examples are: Carson street clothiers, Charles Tyrwitt, Brooks Brothers, Barneys, Saks 5th Avenue. Etc.

Well, yes, SHE'S referring to exactly those kinds of places. Upscale department stores like Neiman Marcus, Barneys, Saks, & Bergdorfs. Next level down would generally be Nordstroms, Lord and Taylor, Bloomingdales, *some* of Macy's flagship stores. Most towns will have an independent "boutique" menswear store; if it doesn't advertise "lowest price in town", "buy 2 get 1 free suits" or "free vest with suit" and has a 5' 4" tall old man with a tape measure around his neck, then you're good to go.

Oofta, sorry for assuming you were a man!

I've been to Nordy rack here and they have a lot of awesome stuff for the price. To be honest, some of the JAB suits I've handled were very well made. Some of their better stuff is actually made by zegna in mexico.

Probably the first time in my life I've missed someone 'cougariffic'.

What's the deal with slim fit suits? Yay or nay? I kinda have a weirdly small frame relative to my height so slim fit suits don't make me look like I'm wearing shoulder pads like other suits do.

That being said, are they too informal? Thanks.

What's the deal with slim fit suits? Yay or nay? I kinda have a weirdly small frame relative to my height so slim fit suits don't make me look like I'm wearing shoulder pads like other suits do.

That being said, are they too informal? Thanks.
This one gets good reviews: "slim fit, women like it, sturdy construction".

I'm thinking of wearing a critter tie. From far away it looks like a blue tie with white polka dots--up close the critter is noticeable. Bad idea?