Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It depends on the degree of slimness.

The j crew ludlow suit is a decent example of a slim fit suit that's not too over the top (though their lapels seem to keep shrinking).

The shoulder pad issue is something that a good sales associate should be able to help you with - pointing you to (a) the right size and (b) a suit with a softer shoulder.
Thanks! The last time I got a suit from Men's Warehouse, I really didn't know what I was doing and the salesman kinda just duped me into getting a suit that doesn't fit that well. Do you know any places where they have "experts?"

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! The last time I got a suit from Men's Warehouse, I really didn't know what I was doing and the salesman kinda just duped me into getting a suit that doesn't fit that well. Do you know any places where they have "experts?"
As mentioned above, you'll have better luck with tailoring at upscale department stores, independent menswear stores and googling tailors in your town.

Your experience echoes that of many of my friends with men's warehouse. It can definitely be hit or miss in regards to styling and tailoring.

Hey @Winged Scapula , would a suit such as this be considered "interview material"? I have this suit with a pair of brown wingtip shoes and was wondering if I should reconsider my choice of suit/shoes for interviewing. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's kind of a double no-no. The tan color is so light it seems almost casual to some. Sharkskin can look obnoxious especially in a cheaper suit.
I figured as much! Just wanted to double check here before I go and get one tailored. Trying to steer away from the black suit here, would a dark gray or navy suit work? And what kind of shoes should I am for? I'm 6'1", muscular, broad shoulders.

That's kind of a double no-no. The tan color is so light it seems almost casual to some. Sharkskin can look obnoxious especially in a cheaper suit.
Agreed.

The light color, the texture and the flap pockets are more casual which is not the look you're going for. That's more of a "I've already got the job and live in Savannah" sort of suit.

Reactions: 1 user
I figured as much! Just wanted to double check here before I go and get one tailored. Trying to steer away from the black suit here, would a dark gray or navy suit work? And what kind of shoes should I am for? I'm 6'1", muscular, broad shoulders.
Dark charcoal gray or navy are absolutely fine. As a matter of fact, many would suggest that a black suit is not appropriate for interviews and that these colors are to be preferred.

There are lots of discussions in this thread about the shoes; I love cordovan with a navy suit and black shoes would be fine with a charcoal. Some are advocating brown with grey and navy however, if the brown is too light it takes on a casual, "hipster" vibe which you want to avoid, especially with a slimmer cut suit.

Reactions: 3 users
Dark charcoal gray or navy are absolutely fine. As a matter of fact, many would suggest that a black suit is not appropriate for interviews and that these colors are to be preferred.

There are lots of discussions in this thread about the shoes; I love cordovan with a navy suit and black shoes would be fine with a charcoal. Some are advocating brown with grey and navy however, if the brown is too light it takes on a casual, "hipster" vibe which you want to avoid, especially with a slimmer cut suit.
Thank you very much for the input! I will definitely take this into account.

What color dress shirt/tie combo would be good? Are white shirts too plain?

What color dress shirt/tie combo would be good? Are white shirts too plain?
A white shirt is fine although most people look better in something with a bit of color.

Appropriate shirt and tie combinations will depend on the color of your suit, your skin tone, and your personal tolerance for a bit of flair versus being more staid.

White shirts tend to wash out your complexion, especially if you're white.

Light blue shirts tend to look better with suits with rare exceptions.

I don't think wingtips are formal enough for an interview and a tan suit is not formal at all. Navy, midnight blue, or grey are all better. Midnight blue can be hard to pull off since it looks black unless there's something black nearby for comparison.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
^Good point. By the way, striped ties or plain?

If you're uncomfortable with a patterned tie, go for a textured tie. Not a 'knit', but a silk weave with texture. Very conservative, visually interesting, and almost without exception, elegant.

So I was looking around and I know mid-tier and top tier places for suits were mentioned, but what would be my cheapest bet out of those places/are there more? Not really rolling in money here :(

So I was looking around and I know mid-tier and top tier places for suits were mentioned, but what would be my cheapest bet out of those places/are there more? Not really rolling in money here :(
Normal department stores will get you what you need. I bought an affordable, nice looking suit at JCPenney along with multiple shirts for $200. I'll have plenty of time to splurge on expensive clothing as an attending, right now it's just not an option.

Normal department stores will get you what you need. I bought an affordable, nice looking suit at JCPenney along with multiple shirts for $200. I'll have plenty of time to splurge on expensive clothing as an attending, right now it's just not an option.
Yeah you have a point. I'm just being neurotic I guess, surprise surprise haha.

I don't think wingtips are formal enough for an interview...

You're interviewing for med school not Wall Street and a clothing design firm. 99.99% of university professors/MDs will not notice your shoes, unless they are something VERY extreme. The other 0.01% are probably so sick of the cheap funeral procession that walks through the halls every interview day a nice pair of wing tips/monk straps/some other "high fashion" dress shoe will make their day.

If you're uncomfortable with a patterned tie, go for a textured tie. Not a 'knit', but a silk weave with texture. Very conservative, visually interesting, and almost without exception, elegant.

Striped ties are fine. Or go for a neat pattern.

Doktermom is suggesting a grenadine.

Yeah you have a point. I'm just being neurotic I guess, surprise surprise haha.

To both the above quotes. I understand the money thing completely, but the issue is that going to one of these places might result in a suit that doesn't fit. If you know your sizing etc, you should be fine. MW and JAB are fine as well, but you have to know what you're looking for otherwise you're going to buy something that makes it look like you have no idea what a suit is supposed to look like. Suits can be incredibly flattering if they fit right, if they don't they look really awful.

I'm not advocating that people spend 1500 bucks on a suit. Hell, I can't do that, but if you know your size you can find a lot of stuff for a pretty reasonable price used and new. I spent about 160 bucks on a suit that probably retailed for 1500 or so when new. It was used and the alterations costs are included in that price.

You're interviewing for med school not Wall Street and a clothing design firm. 99.99% of university professors/MDs will not notice your shoes, unless they are something VERY extreme. The other 0.01% are probably so sick of the cheap funeral procession that walks through the halls every interview day a nice pair of wing tips/monk straps/some other "high fashion" dress shoe will make their day.

I own monks, wingtips, and many other shoes. I will not be wearing any of these to an interview. The point is to look good and not let your clothes do the talking. Wingtips and monks are ostentatious for this purpose. Besides, men should always have black, burgundy, or dark brown cap toes in their wardrobe.

Striped ties are fine. Or go for a neat pattern.

Doktermom is suggesting a grenadine.

To both the above quotes. I understand the money thing completely, but the issue is that going to one of these places might result in a suit that doesn't fit. If you know your sizing etc, you should be fine. MW and JAB are fine as well, but you have to know what you're looking for otherwise you're going to buy something that makes it look like you have no idea what a suit is supposed to look like. Suits can be incredibly flattering if they fit right, if they don't they look really awful.

I'm not advocating that people spend 1500 bucks on a suit. Hell, I can't do that, but if you know your size you can find a lot of stuff for a pretty reasonable price used and new. I spent about 160 bucks on a suit that probably retailed for 1500 or so when new. It was used and the alterations costs are included in that price.

I own monks, wingtips, and many other shoes. I will not be wearing any of these to an interview. The point is to look good and not let your clothes do the talking. Wingtips and monks are ostentatious for this purpose. Besides, men should always have black, burgundy, or dark brown cap toes in their wardrobe.

I'm gonna be honest--I read this read to learn about how to dress for the interview, because I just didn't know beforehand. I went to a fancy suit store to get sized and get an idea of what looks best on me, and then I went and bought a cheap alternative. And with the savings I went to a good tailor and had it fitted specifically for me. I think it looks comparable to the more expensive counterpart. Just another option for people to consider if money is tight.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm gonna be honest--I read this read to learn about how to dress for the interview, because I just didn't know beforehand. I went to a fancy suit store to get sized and get an idea of what looks best on me, and then I went and bought a cheap alternative. And with the savings I went to a good tailor and had it fitted specifically for me. I think it looks comparable to the more expensive counterpart. Just another option for people to consider if money is tight.

This is what I would have done, but I felt bad suggesting it. This should get you in the right ballpark. It really depends on the brand of suit though, since most manufacturers cut their shoulders/chests differently, so a 40R in two different brands can be totally different in how it fits. Even within the same brand!

You played your cards right though. Getting a suit altered by a competent tailor is a great way to make it look a 100x better.

I would feel kinda bad going to a suit store, using their time and resources to get myself fitted, and then going somewhere else. lol

White shirts tend to wash out your complexion, especially if you're white.

Light blue shirts tend to look better with suits with rare exceptions.

I don't think wingtips are formal enough for an interview and a tan suit is not formal at all. Navy, midnight blue, or grey are all better. Midnight blue can be hard to pull off since it looks black unless there's something black nearby for comparison.

good point here about white. ill be wearing white, but if I had a pasty white complexion I certainly wouldn't be.

And "all" men should own at least 3 basic suits... blah blah blah. my point isn't what is "most appropriate" but rather that if what you own is a pair of wingtips or monkstraps or if that is really want you want to buy the likeliness of running into an interviewer who really notices is next to zero. It's just not something most of the people is academia take notice of and there are far "worse" dress faux pas (horribly ill-fitting suit, inappropriately colored suit/shoes/etc).

This thread is fine in general, and if you have the money, or the desire "over thinking" your interview attire might even be fun, but it's just not worth stressing over as much as most posts on here imply.

Really, what I would say, given the fact the most interviewers won't notice most of the aspects of your attire, is that you should wear what makes YOU feel most comfortable and confident as that will be of more benefit or determinant to the outcome of your interview than the particular type of shoes you wear or the color of your tie.

good point here about white. ill be wearing white, but if I had a pasty white complexion I certainly wouldn't be.

If you have one, try a light blue shirt. I think it looks better for the most part. This is picking nits though.

White is a bit more 'stark' traditionally, but in reality this doesn't matter much at all.

And "all" men should own at least 3 basic suits... blah blah blah. my point isn't what is "most appropriate" but rather that if what you own is a pair of wingtips or monkstraps or if that is really want you want to buy the likeliness of running into an interviewer who really notices is next to zero. It's just not something most of the people is academia take notice of and there are far "worse" dress faux pas (horribly ill-fitting suit, inappropriately colored suit/shoes/etc).

This thread is fine in general, and if you have the money, or the desire "over thinking" your interview attire might even be fun, but it's just not worth stressing over as much as most posts on here imply.

Really, what I would say, given the fact the most interviewers won't notice most of the aspects of your attire, is that you should wear what makes YOU feel most comfortable and confident as that will be of more benefit or determinant to the outcome of your interview than the particular type of shoes you wear or the color of your tie.

Err, no. Cap toes are the go to for everything. Job interviews, weddings, etc. They are pretty much the backbone of formal mens shoes that are appropriate in any formal-ish scenario. The fact that someone bought wingtips or monks before them means that they bought something that was unnecessary instead of something essential.

Have fun wearing sneakers for comfort in an interview.

This thread is for people who are also in the process of making choices for suits/shoes/etc. I'd rather see them buy something that will fit many scenarios since I'm budget constrained as well vs being led to buy a fashion-y cool shoe that was a bad move. You sound like you're in undergrad, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now. The captoe oxford is the quintessential mens dress shoe. Not the monk, the double monk, the plain toe blutcher, or the wingtip. Besides, it matters what part of the country you're in and which school you're interviewing at. Some of them will absolutely care if you look ridiculous. Sure, it might not hurt your chances, but do you really want someone to see you for the first time and have 'ugh' go across their mind as their first thought? I treat interviews like first dates. It's the only chance you have to make a good first impression. That matters a lot and how you dress is part of that.

I said nothing about owning 3 basic suits. I'd prefer to have atleast two in a rotation for interviews just for the sake of having a backup in case something happens to one. I like being prepared for these scenarios.

Have you considered a consignment or resale shop? If you live near or in a moderately large city there may be several of them with good things to choose from.

Note in general I'm not talking about Salvation Army or Goodwill but rather independent stores or small regional chains. I've seen some very nice women's things in there often with tags still on them and while the mens selection is smaller, you might just be lucky and find a good quality suit which you could have tailored for less than what it would cost you to buy one at a lower end store.

Try and pick the shops in the more upscale areas of town where the well heeled widows and divorcees are dumping off their husbands luxury items.

If that's not an option for you my sense is always been that the quality is slightly better at Jos a Banks than men's warehouse.

If you know your size, you can just search for '40R navy suit' on ebay as well. Make sure the measurements work for you and that the pants aren't double pleated. This is definitely not a good idea for someone that doesn't already own a suit or have a jacket and pants they can compare too.

I honestly haven't found that much stuff at mens consignment stores in my area for suits. I find other decent stuff all the time like ties, sport coats, pants, and casual wear.

The fact that many college professors and other faculty dress like they just rolled out of bed is no reason to suggest that others will not notice a well-dressed and refined medical school candidate.

There are probably some medical school faculty that would show up in shorts and Birkenstocks if they were allowed. But I think you'll find in general, because most physicians, even those in academic positions, are much more well-paid than the average college faculty, they will pay a little more closer attention to what they wear and what their applicants wear.

Suggesting that medical school applicants wear what they feel comfortable in will lead to an onslaught of hoodies and cargo shorts in the hallways I fear. LOL.

These threads exist because some people have no idea what is appropriate and others want some advice on how to sharpen things up. No one is suggesting that applicants buy $1500 Paul Smith or Armani Prive suits or that they need three of them at this point in time. Everyone, including me, has a budget.

That GF Suit will end up being like 500 after alterations. It's a good price for what it is, but honestly most people's budget for everything related to their clothing is realistically going to be about that if not less than that.

Have you considered a consignment or resale shop? If you live near or in a moderately large city there may be several of them with good things to choose from.

Note in general I'm not talking about Salvation Army or Goodwill but rather independent stores or small regional chains. I've seen some very nice women's things in there often with tags still on them and while the mens selection is smaller, you might just be lucky and find a good quality suit which you could have tailored for less than what it would cost you to buy one at a lower end store.

Try and pick the shops in the more upscale areas of town where the well heeled widows and divorcees are dumping off their husbands luxury items.

If that's not an option for you my sense is always been that the quality is slightly better at Jos a Banks than men's warehouse.
Appreciate the advice!! Thanks again!

No one is suggesting that applicants by $1500 Paul Smith or Armani Prive suits or that they need three of them at this point in time. Everyone, including me, has a budget.

Even those are cheap suits, IMO. I saved for over a year and bought what I consider a cheaper suit at 3k; made to measure zegna.

I've worked my ass off for years to get to this point, and I want to look good.

If you know your size, you can just search for '40R navy suit' on ebay as well. Make sure the measurements work for you and that the pants aren't double pleated. This is definitely not a good idea for someone that doesn't already own a suit or have a jacket and pants they can compare too.

I honestly haven't found that much stuff at mens consignment stores in my area for suits. I find other decent stuff all the time like ties, sport coats, pants, and casual wear.

Very sound advice -- If you have a suit that fits and can measure it for size, or even one that you can use as a 'need +1" here, -1/2" there' guide, you can get some great deals on ebay and spend the money on tailoring. If you shop EARLY, you even have time for a mistake or two -- just resell 'em on ebay. I've seen many very fine suits for ridiculously small prices.

Even those are cheap suits, IMO. I saved for over a year and bought what I consider a cheaper suit at 3k; made to measure zegna.

Lol, that's a bit much. You can get great suits for a fraction of that point if you look right. I'm glad you consider a 3k zegna a cheap suit. I personally don't wear anything but brioni, cucinelli, Isaia, or kiton suits made from the virgin wool of a lamb's first born made by old italian men named Giuseppe.

Whatever makes you happy, but expecting an undergrad to blow that much money on a suit is stupid.

Very sound advice -- If you have a suit that fits and can measure it for size, or even one that you can use as a 'need +1" here, -1/2" there' guide, you can get some great deals on ebay and spend the money on tailoring. If you shop EARLY, you even have time for a mistake or two -- just resell 'em on ebay. I've seen many very fine suits for ridiculously small prices.

I wouldn't suggest trying to resell suits on ebay unless you know what you're doing. It's incredibly time consuming and hard unless you know the market. Just because you bought it from someone, doesn't mean someone else will want it.

Last edited:

You definitely have your priorities straight.

You definitely have your priorities straight.

Sure do. I worked part time and didn't waste money on girls, clubs, and bars. I spent my Friday nights studying. It gives me peace of mind to show up to my interviews looking as good as I possibly can in a suit I worked hard to afford.

Sure do. I worked part time and didn't waste money on girls, clubs, and bars. I spent my Friday nights studying. It gives me peace of mind to show up to my interviews looking as good as I possibly can in a suit I worked hard to afford.
Don't you worry about gaining or losing weight, thereby throwing off the fit of the suit? Or how about if the suit catches on fire? I feel like you should be buying baller suits when you are effectively a baller. That's just my opinion, of course.

So what's the generally agreed upon best course of action? To buy a suit off the rack and have it tailored? I was looking into some custom suits and there's no quality option for less than ~700-800 dollars.

So what's the generally agreed upon best course of action? To buy a suit off the rack and have it tailored? I was looking into some custom suits and there's no quality option for less than ~700-800 dollars.

It depends to some degree on your build. For me, I have more of a bodybuilder's physique, and regardless of what size suit I buy, enough proportions are going to be off that it's almost beyond help from a tailor. So, for me, MTM is the way to go.

For others who have a closer to average build, an off-the-rack suit will usually work well, but yes you should have it tailored.

FWIW, I own one suit from Indochino and one from BlackLapel, which are both your entry-level type MTM suit company. The fit is superb, and something I have never been able to achieve with off the rack + tailoring. The fabric is ok, but nothing high end. For me, though, fit is much much more important than quality (within reason).

It depends to some degree on your build. For me, I have more of a bodybuilder's physique, and regardless of what size suit I buy, enough proportions are going to be off that it's almost beyond help from a tailor. So, for me, MTM is the way to go.

For others who have a closer to average build, an off-the-rack suit will usually work well, but yes you should have it tailored.

FWIW, I own one suit from Indochino and one from BlackLapel, which are both your entry-level type MTM suit company. The fit is superb, and something I have never been able to achieve with off the rack + tailoring. The fabric is ok, but nothing high end. For me, though, fit is much much more important than quality (within reason).
That's one of the issues I have with the MTM route. There does seem to be some skimping in terms of the quality of fabric. I read a couple of bad reviews that speak to that effect.

Are folding garment bags for suits acceptable carry ons? I want to say yes.

LOL…I don't think anyone would consider a $1500 suit "cheap".

The reason I picked that price or those designers is that's whats been referred to previously in this thread as expensive.

Zegna makes lovely suits and if you are able to afford them, then that's wonderful. But as noted above, its out of reach for most, especially students and this thread is not about spending the most money you can but spending it wisely given limited funds and time.

NB: Wearing a $3000 suit also put s someone at the very small but potential risk of being seen as a rich kid dilettante rather than a serious applicant, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Anyone have any recommendations for traveling with your suit? Southwest doesn't have an area where they hang suits. :(

For people considering custom, you have to know what custom really means. There's a huge difference between bespoke and made to measure. I would not do either of those unless you absolutely have to.

If you have a HUGE drop and have trouble finding a suit, I would just buy suit separates that fit well and have them altered a bit. Seriously, fit is key here. There is time later in life for bespoke and MTM, but I don't think now is it. You don't want to come off as ostentatious.

Also, MTM suits are notorious for being ill-fitted at times. You don't want to be stuck in a 'getting things right' loop.

There are tons of decent brands you can get new for the price of a MTM suit. I personally don't think it's worth it for 95% of the populace.

I've offered this before, but if anyone is a 38R with a 32x32 pant, get at me. I have a staple grey suit I need to get rid of since it doesn't fit me.

Anyone have any recommendations for traveling with your suit? Southwest doesn't have an area where they hang suits. :(

Get a suit bag that you can fold/zip in half.

Yeah, you wasted money on a suit. I guarantee that you could have found something that fits as well for like 30% of that cost.
But it seems like you're an LA soul, so it fits ;)

The things you pay more for those super high end suits is the handiwork. It makes for more incredible details and it might last longer, but that doesn't affect the fit. No one can see that the hand stitched lapel collar since it isn't visible during wear.

The fabrics feel a lot better but that's to the wearer not really apparent to the viewer. Tom Ford lapels are recognizable to someone that knows Tom Ford, how many people interview will that person?

Edit: I shouldn't say wasted money, but if you were working part time and it took you a year to save for that, that's a misallocation of funds. Did you do the same for shoes to get John lobbs or gaziano and girling?

This thread is for pre meds, spending that much on a suit is great if you can afford it. Most of the people here can't, but they can still look damn good.

I'm considering getting a garment bag, either a folding one or a hanging one. If I don't, though, this seems like a pretty good method to fold a suit with minimal wrinkling and pack it in a suitcase/carry on:

http://lifehacker.com/5885879/fold-...ke-a-dry-cleaner-for-wrinkle-free-portability

If I don't get a garment bag, I'll probably end up doing this.

Sigh, tailor didn't even want to deal with me. I had proportions that "didn't make sense".

Whatever that means.