Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ugh!! The dreaded square toe slip on!!

Laces please; professional and appropriate.

I disagree about the patterns; mixing patterns can work although there are rules and it can be tricky. You want them to be different size stripes and going in different directions. You've done that although they could be a bit different. My "concern" is that the color palette needs to vary a little more (ie, perhaps less blue in the tie). For some reason it annoys me that the stripe on the knot is in a different direction than the body of the tie; my eye follows that zigzag rather than looking at your face.

Watch is fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh!! The dreaded square toe slip on!!
Look closely, it's worse! It's a split-toe square-toed slip-on!

edit: not trying to be mean, but those shoes really aren't something to be worn to an interview, even if you could get away with them around the office.

Last edited:
The shoes are definitely awful and should go. Burn them if you can.

Has nothing to do with being "GQ." They're bad, period. And to add insult to injury, they're certainly not formal enough for an interview.

Agree with getting a solid shirt, rather than stripes.

"burn them if you can". ROFLLLL

Members don't see this ad :)
I've become known as the 'pocket square guy' at work. I freaking wore an ascot one day and one of the attendings still talks about it haha.

White squares in a TV fold are considered CBD (conservative business dress-think conservative law firms), so they're not out of place for an interview, but do draw more attention to the wearer. I think most of my recs actually fall close to the CBD line of thought. I think it's conservative in a way that makes sense for interviews of this nature.

I think you can definitely have more leeway in residency and fellowship interviews, especially depending on the specialty.

I wore exactly that to my residency interviews: white square in a tv fold. If I had to do it over again I would have just left it at home. Didn't really add anything and no one really commented on it. Ended up matching at my #3 and I'm paranoid it may have thrown some people subconsciously off. At the time though, I felt like it added confidence and a dash of different.

So, assuming I fix the shoes, does it work otherwise? My thinking was that since I'm stuck with an overly formal solid black suit that I would try and make the shirt/ tie combo something a tiny bit more relaxed. I know normally stripe with stripe is a no no but I thought it worked in this case due to size difference as winged scapula said.. not entirely sure of myself though.. If it's bad I would like to know.. Also, what other ways can I try to work with a black suit? I have many ties/ shirts due to weekly formal meetings throughout college. At first I was thinking just good old white shirt and solid tie but it just looked a little to overly formal to me.

From the last few posts:

1) Go with a plain white or light blue shirt. Stripes can work, but it's busy, especially with that tie. The tie works though, so use a light blue or white shirt instead. Also, you might want to try a spread or semi spread collar instead of the point collar you have going on.
2) Stay away from the pocket square whomever had asked about that. It's going to work against you more than it will work for you. This is not the time or place to play dress up.
3) Yeah... those loafers. Err....
4) Agree with gettheleadout that the burgundy stripe tie is too busy. See the repp tie that partypants has? That's how they should look. It looks classic, not busy.

Edit: I'm in new england where penny loafers are considered formal... I can see them or other formal loafers working in some situations, but there are far better (read: safer) options.

I've never looked at an applicants shoes and thought, "wtf? No laces?". I have looked at shoes and thought, "wtf? You really can't polish your shoes before an interview.". If you can't afford better shoes you will be fine. Joan Rivers is currently not available to police your fashion.
PS Brogueing is awesome.
PPS. You're not interviewing for Goldman Sachs, so there is some leeway in dress.

I've never looked at an applicants shoes and thought, "wtf? No laces?". I have looked at shoes and thought, "wtf? You really can't polish your shoes before an interview."
PS Brogueing is awesome.
PPS. You're not interviewing for Goldman Sachs, so there is some leeway in dress.

Sigh...

Brogueing is awesome, but in most cases (outside of cap toe brogues) is less formal. The point of my posts here, as I've said repeatedly, is to get people that are spending money to get a suit/tie/shoes/whathaveyou, to make purchases that have a high utility and are fit for formal wear. I'm glad you don't have strong opinions on this, but if I was spending the little money I have on stuff for interviews, I'd like to know that it is appropriate for the purpose and for other things following that would require the use of a suit.

I feel more confident when I'm well dressed. If that doesn't apply to you, then that's great, but I'd rather walk into an interview knowing that I'm fully prepared on every front.

Edit: At an interview at Pritzker, a friend commented that one of the admissions people leading interviewees around cracked a joke about all the black suits being worn. Just saying.

I've never looked at an applicants shoes and thought, "wtf? No laces?". I have looked at shoes and thought, "wtf? You really can't polish your shoes before an interview.". If you can't afford better shoes you will be fine. Joan Rivers is currently not available to police your fashion.
PS Brogueing is awesome.
To be fair, your specialty is known for being rather casual so your experience may not represent all attendings who are interviewing these guys. Just like my thoughts on the pocket square: I see a lot of it amongst my male colleagues so it doesn't look flashy to me.

Clean, polished shoes are necessary and it *should* go without saying.

To be fair, your specialty is known for being rather casual so your experience may not represent all attendings who are interviewing these guys. Just like my thoughts on the pocket square: I see a lot of it amongst my male colleagues so it doesn't look flashy to me.

Clean, polished shoes are necessary and it *should* go without saying.

I can tell you that I didn't dress at all like I do now when I worked in ID. I do research in Ortho now and honestly wasn't prepared for the huge difference in how attendings dressed. I swear that one of my old PI's had no idea how a suit was supposed to fit. We tried to convince the practice manager to go out shopping with him. His entire suit wardrobe was comprised of ill fitting unvented jackets.

I wore exactly that to my residency interviews: white square in a tv fold. If I had to do it over again I would have just left it at home. Didn't really add anything and no one really commented on it. Ended up matching at my #3 and I'm paranoid it may have thrown some people subconsciously off. At the time though, I felt like it added confidence and a dash of different.

If you're doing things correctly, no one should be commenting on your pocket square . . .

I like a simple white linen square with a tv fold. It breaks up the monotony of the (usually) dark jacket, especially since I have a very broad chest/broad shoulders.

As RTC has said, if you don't usually do a PS and/or you have to ask about them, you should probably not be wearing them . . . at least not for your interviews as your first foray.

How do you guys feel about this midnight blue suit (http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/bar-iii-suit-separates-midnight-blue-slim-fit?ID=801112), white or light blue shirt, Grenadine tie (navy, lightblue, cant remember last collor that accents it), and brown oxford shoes? I will not be wearing the vest in the picture.

Thanks!!

Bar III tends to be good quality in this price range. Have you seen the suit in person? I'm wondering about the true color; it can be difficult to tell on line. This one looks a little light but it appears to be brightly lit and would be darker in person.

Slim fit suits also require a certain body type which I assume you have.

In regards to shoes, I'm a fan of cordovan. I believe brown to be too casual for interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
So much great advice on this thread. I have tried to follow it in picking a suit (charcoal), but I am still a bit clueless on ties.

I have this tie already, any thoughts? It would probably be with a white shirt.

white-stripe-silk-tie-purple.jpg
Don't go purple.

Reactions: 1 users
Seems like a lot of good advice in this thread. I am not sure if what I'm planning on wearing is awful or not so here are pictures:

Did I take to much of a risk with this shirt and tie? It's a black suit, light blue shirt. (needs to be dry-cleaned)
View attachment 185056

Watch:
View attachment 185057

Shoes: Think I can get away with no laces? They still seem professional to me but then again I'm no expert.
View attachment 185058
Dude! Clean your room. Then lose the shoes...

Are these shoes OK? Can't afford $200-300+ shoes.
Is this tie conservative enough? The actual color is darker. Would be wearing it on a solid light blue shirt and navy jacket.

Thanks for your input, I have no idea how to dress properly.

Last edited:
Any recommendations on what shirt/tie combo I should wear with this suit? I'm also thinking of wearing cognac color shoes... they haven't arrived so I don't know if it will look good.
MedIntSuit.png

Are these shoes OK? Can't afford $200-300+ shoes.
Is this tie conservative enough? The actual color is darker. Would be wearing it on a solid light blue shirt and navy jacket.

Thanks for your input, I have no idea how to dress properly.

I'd prefer oxfords, but those shoes are fine. I don't think that tie is good.

If you don't mind going used for shoes you can try looking for park avenues on ebay in your size. You need to know your size though!

Allen edmond sanfords are another shoe that you could probably get used on your budget.

What you posted is acceptable though.

Any recommendations on what shirt/tie combo I should wear with this suit? I'm also thinking of wearing cognac color shoes... they haven't arrived so I don't know if it will look good. View attachment 185122

Light blue spread collar shirt. Uniqlo has them for like 20 bucks. I think I'm going to grab a couple when I go to NYC next weekend. You can order online as well, but I have a hard time getting stuff that fits well.

The burgundy grenadine tie linked earlier would work alright, as would a repp (stripe) tie.

Hard to tell about the fit of your jacket since you've buttoned it wrong... But the shoulder and collar are doing things I don't like and the lapel doesn't look like it's sitting properly on your chest. But you're wearing a half sleeve shirt and have it buttoned wrong, so it's really impossible to tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Spread collar, longer shirt sleeves, and don't button the bottom button.

Any reason in particular you'd stay away from the point collar? I like the way they look a little better on me but if it's a no-no for some reason I will reconsider.

Spread collars 'cradle' the lapel of the jacket much better than point collars. The tie and jacket end up sitting much better. Point collars are fine if you're not wearing a tie since you leave the top button unbuttoned and it ends up 'flaring' like a spread collar anyway.

Part of it comes down to fashion. Point collars were favored in the 40s/50's if I'm not mistaken. I would do spread/semi-spread just because I think it's more proportional. I don't think anyone's going to think you look unprofessional for wearing point collars though.

Spread collars 'cradle' the lapel of the jacket much better than point collars. The tie and jacket end up sitting much better. Point collars are fine if you're not wearing a tie since you leave the top button unbuttoned and it ends up 'flaring' like a spread collar anyway.

Part of it comes down to fashion. Point collars were favored in the 40s/50's if I'm not mistaken.
I've also heard it said that thinner men look better in spread collars because the point collar tends to accentuate the long angular lines of the face.

Cap-toe, or plain-toe oxfords? (and why, if your answer isn't entirely subjective)

Go!

Cap toes (with or without broguing) are more formal than plain toe. Unless you're wearing like opera pumps or something...

I'd always go cap toe. Plain toes look too much like derby shoes, which are relatively informal and should be worn with a sport coat/pants and not a suit if you're going to be super traditional.

That'll work. Sounded horrible in words, but looks nice in the picture. The tie it's shown with is nice too, if you can find something like it. A 'garden variety brown' tie wouldn't be great, though, so if you can't find something fabulous with brown in it, go for gold or yellow.
--

What are your thoughts on these? I planned on wearing the left with a white shirt or the right with a blue shirt. However, I'm willing to grab another if needed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 92
The one on the left, maybe -- but it's hard to tell without the suit and shirt in the picture.

I'd prefer oxfords, but those shoes are fine. I don't think that tie is good.

If you don't mind going used for shoes you can try looking for park avenues on ebay in your size. You need to know your size though!

Allen edmond sanfords are another shoe that you could probably get used on your budget.

What you posted is acceptable though.
Would a burgundy tie work better? Something like this? Could I wear that on a light blue shirt and navy suit?

Last edited:

Part of it comes down to fashion. Point collars were favored in the 40s/50's if I'm not mistaken. I would do spread/semi-spread just because I think it's more proportional. I don't think anyone's going to think you look unprofessional for wearing point collars though.

Thanks, I'll check out a few and see what I like best.

You mean width options I assume, not length.

2 inch = very skinny
2.5 inch = skinny
3 inch = standard-ish*
3.5 inch or above = lobster bib

*"standard" tie width fluctuates widely with fashion trends - currently fashion trends are on the skinny end of the spectrum but veering back towards average after a brief over-correction to ultra skinny.

Thank you! Great information. I do not want my interviewers to think I am expecting to be served lobster so I'll keep it under 3.5". (I did mean to say width in my post, I have edited it to avoid confusion.)

You mean width options I assume, not length.

2 inch = very skinny
2.5 inch = skinny
3 inch = standard-ish*
3.5 inch or above = lobster bib

*"standard" tie width fluctuates widely with fashion trends - currently fashion trends are on the skinny end of the spectrum but veering back towards average after a brief over-correction to ultra skinny.

Yeah, I think 3-3.5 inch is fine, depending on the width of the lapels of your suit. If you're wearing a skinny suits (some j crew, H&M, etc) have lapels about 2-2.5 inches. It's best that your tie is in the same ballpark as the lapels. Don't go larger or more than .5 inch shorter. It can make things look off.

I need to take a picture of some of the ones I have. I'm actually not sure if I have a tie that I like enough to wear haha. I have a few repp ties that are probably adequate, but all this tie talk has really made me want a grenadine repp tie or a shantung repp. Shantung silk ties are gorgeous, but I'm not really into spending 70 bucks for a tie when I have a few that will work.

That research coordinator budget... Haha.

Alright so blazer+khaki is apparently a no-no according to this thread... is that a real thing, or is that just the SDN bias speaking? And if it's a real thing, then do people wear a blazer/black pants combo?

I would say at the most less than 5% of applicants I have seen (in my 3 years of giving med school tours/interviews + my 4 years of residency interviews, plus my own experiences as an applicant on the interview trail) wear a blazer + khakis.

It is, according to professional standards, underdressed for a job interview. It also accentuates youth for most people (i.e. makes you look like a high school student rather than a professional school applicant).

This is not to say that a sport coat and khakis can't look "nice" - they just are an incorrect outfit choice for this setting.

thanks for the clarification. so then would dark dress pants solve the problem?

You can't go wrong with the Birthday suit. Your interviewers are doctors so they can appreciate the human body. Trust me, I'm a future doctor.

A pre-med advisor at my institution recently told them that adcomms had said that a jacket and pants are adequate.
My jaw dropped.

A pre-med advisor at my institution recently told them that adcomms had said that a jacket and pants are adequate.
My jaw dropped.
Tell him/her that an expert said that you (RTC) are better qualified for wardrobe advice, by far. Maybe a light year.

I told them I'd write up a do's and don'ts for men if they wanted me to along with links etc. They said they'd pass on my info to anyone that asked but weren't going to change the statement till adcomms said otherwise.

So it goes.

Last edited:
I told them I'd write up a do's and don'ts for men if they wanted me to along with links etc. They said the'd pass on my info to anyone that asked but weren't going to change the statement till adcomms said otherwise.

So it goes.
Let me at 'em.

If this hurts people, which I'm sure it does at a subconscious level since some people might see certain applicants that are dressed like that as not taking things seriously enough, I think it's more deleterious for those that are less off financially as they're more likely to take those words as absolute and be less likely to have someone steer them differently. My $0.02.

Said person is supremely awesome and has been a huge resource to me over the last 8 years. I just disagree on this one thing.

(They might be reading this right now because I linked it to them earlier. If so: Hello!)

If this hurts people, which I'm sure it does at a subconscious level since some people might see certain applicants that are dressed like that as not taking things seriously enough, I think it's more deleterious for those that are less off financially as they're more likely to take those words as absolute and be less likely to have someone steer them differently. My $0.02.

Said person is supremely awesome and has been a huge resource to me over the last 8 years. I just disagree on this one thing.

(They might be reading this right now because I linked it to them earlier. If so: Hello!)
We all have strengths and weaknesses. Knowing them is what differentiates us and allows us to be of greatest service to others. This is one of your strengths.

Applicants of every income level should have the opportunity to show that they know what is expected of them and the chance to recognize though their appearance the honor that comes with being personally evaluated for the most important job one interviews for. It is not the price of their clothes, but how they used their resources to achieve the desired result that is important.

I hope your adviser is reading this. You are a resource. If your school doesn't recognize it, they are carelessly tossing away priceless mentorship.

Last edited by a moderator:
We all have strengths and weaknesses. Knowing them is what differentiates us and allows us to be of greatest service to others. This is one of your strengths.

Applicants of every income level should have the opportunity to show that they know what is expected of them and the chance to recognize though their appearance the honor that comes with being personally evaluated for the most important job one interviews for. It is not the price of their clothes, but how they used their resources to achieve the desired result that is important.

I hope your adviser is reading this. You are a resource. If your school doesn't recognize it, they are carelessly tossing away priceless mentorship.

Are you saying extensive knowledge of fashion standards and giving advice on this is considered a pro? Man I should've put that on my primary!

Ridethecliche, are you a user on askandyaboutclothes or any other fashion forum?

I can haz all the skills.

or

Such skills. Much advice. WOW!