Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

ridethecliche what do you think about the relatively recent thom browne suit miniaturization? i quite honestly love the aesthetic, and wish I could afford black fleece to wear. of course i would never wear it for an interview, however unless it was an interview for some design firm.

Are you talking about the jacket with shorter pants or shorts?

If so, I can see it being a fun thing for the summer, but it's not really 'formal' wear by any stretch of the imagination. It's fashion though, so it goes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you talking about the jacket with shorter pants or shorts?

If so, I can see it being a fun thing for the summer, but it's not really 'formal' wear by any stretch of the imagination. It's fashion though, so it goes.

Here's Thom Browne. He has a line at Brooks Brothers under Black fleece, and I believe sources his shoes from Tricker's. I don't really know what's up with his mainline, unfortunately. You wouldn't believe how mad some people get for having ankles shown, and suit jacket length be less than to about palm length. Of course all of this is not for interview purposes, which I guess is off-topic, but it is uncommon for me to speak about fashion outside of areas dedicated to it.
237_1r26_thom_browne01.jpg

Yah. I can't say I'm a fan. Or of the j crew suits with shorts.

I think it's silly and cheap fashion where you're doing something different just to be different. Feels so try hard and unrefreshing.

For fashion stuff, I like margiela, Rick Owens, and oh god junya watanabe and comme de garcons. The recent blue patchwork stuff from junya is amazing. Now if only I could afford any of it.

Trickers are awesome as are C&J.

Reactions: 1 user
Just so you know, Thom Browne has a rather extensive and incredibly varied Woman's line that shows his intuitiveness a little bit more readily.

I'm curious then. Do you like the Engineered Garments aesthetic if you like Junya Watanabe?

To me the Rick Owen aesthetic looks incredibly bad when done full Rick from head to toe. Especially when people try to do the mesh when they are rather flabby.

I love the complete and utter ignoring of trends that Comme de Garcons does, although it is depressing to see Rei Kawakubo say that her clothing business is purely a money making venture for her. Also the Comme de Garcons Play line is no doubt a pure money making venture.

I'm a real sucker for Yohji Yamamoto stuff myself, but am not super fond of the Adidas Y-3 stuff.

Just so you know, Thom Browne has a rather extensive and incredibly varied Woman's line that shows his intuitiveness a little bit more readily.

I'm curious then. Do you like the Engineered Garments aesthetic if you like Junya Watanabe?

To me the Rick Owen aesthetic looks incredibly bad when done full Rick from head to toe. Especially when people try to do the mesh when they are rather flabby.

I love the complete and utter ignoring of trends that Comme de Garcons does, although it is depressing to see Rei Kawakubo say that her clothing business is purely a money making venture for her. Also the Comme de Garcons Play line is no doubt a pure money making venture.

I'm a real sucker for Yohji Yamamoto stuff myself, but am not super fond of the Adidas Y-3 stuff.

Even fashion peeps gotta eat. I like the idea of having a creative and business side of things.

I like EG.

Full RO can look awesome. Yohji is badass. I'm honestly not super into street wear though. I have a hard time getting some of it but I appreciate the thought and construction.

And let's turn this back into an interview thread now shall we?

In terms of cost efficiency and overall look, is it better to buy an OTR suit and have it tailored or to buy a made to measure suit?

My problem with MTM: Based on what I've read, it seems that the fabric quality is not as good as an OTR suit.

OTR negative: It is hard to tailor a suit that fits as well as an MTM suit. (This might or might not be true, I'm ignorant about this)

Thoughts? It seems like you can buy a decent suit for 250, get it tailored for 200, and it would look almost as good as an MTM suit that is of poorer fabric quality but costs 550.

What color tie should I get with a navy blue suit and light blue shirt?
I don't typically comment on this thread, but can I throw in a vote for a white shirt with a navy suit? One guy I interviewed with had that combo, and it didn't look great. The blue shirts tend to look better with black/charcoal suits, not navy ones. I, for example, wear a navy suit with a white shirt, brown wingtip shoes, and a burgundy/wine (solid) tie.

In terms of cost efficiency and overall look, is it better to buy an OTR suit and have it tailored or to buy a made to measure suit?

My problem with MTM: Based on what I've read, it seems that the fabric quality is not as good as an OTR suit.

OTR negative: It is hard to tailor a suit that fits as well as an MTM suit. (This might or might not be true, I'm ignorant about this)

Thoughts? It seems like you can buy a decent suit for 250, get it tailored for 200, and it would look almost as good as an MTM suit that is of poorer fabric quality but costs 550.

Thickasthieves makes a fully canvassed MTM suit for about 500-600 dollars. The caveat is that they only offer items within their aesthetic, and their aesthetic may or may not be formal enough for the conservativeness of medical school interviews.

Sometimes MTM can be very poorly done. I've seen many terrible suits come out of Indochina (the company) which is a rather popular online MTM company. Their MTM can look poor even when their "traveling tailors" measure you too. In addition, personal measurement can be quite fallible as the majority of people are not within the range of these companies that do online MTM. You'll probably have to at least do some light tailoring to make sure the suit fits well.

My minimum for "decent" in a suit is that it is at least half-canvassed and I cannot find a half-canvassed suit for that price unless J. Crew does one of its mega sales, or unintentionally allows stacking of promos

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so I have a navy blue suit. The guy at Men's Warehouse said to go with a light blue shirt, but some have told me otherwise.

What color shirt, shoes, and tie should I go with? Any pics?

Here are the shoes I was thinking about getting.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1410048134.858454.jpg

Hey fashion geniuses, which of my ties should I use to go with Charcoal suit & white shirt? I am personally leaning towards the second one from the right.

FOtrAbX.jpg

Thickasthieves makes a fully canvassed MTM suit for about 500-600 dollars. The caveat is that they only offer items within their aesthetic, and their aesthetic may or may not be formal enough for the conservativeness of medical school interviews.

Sometimes MTM can be very poorly done. I've seen many terrible suits come out of Indochina (the company) which is a rather popular online MTM company. Their MTM can look poor even when their "traveling tailors" measure you too. In addition, personal measurement can be quite fallible as the majority of people are not within the range of these companies that do online MTM. You'll probably have to at least do some light tailoring to make sure the suit fits well.

My minimum for "decent" in a suit is that it is at least half-canvassed and I cannot find a half-canvassed suit for that price unless J. Crew does one of its mega sales, or unintentionally allows stacking of promos
So you're not in favor of MTM?

Okay, so I have a navy blue suit. The guy at Men's Warehouse said to go with a light blue shirt, but some have told me otherwise.

What color shirt, shoes, and tie should I go with? Any pics?

Here are the shoes I was thinking about getting. View attachment 185225

Navy suit is a good choice. Very light blue shirt (no french blue or anything close to this) looks good with navy, as does a white shirt. Those should be your only two options, probably. If you're even remotely hesitant about the blue shirt, stick with white.

As for shoes, for an interview like this your two choices should be black or merlot/burgundy/cordovan colored. Avoid brown, and certainly avoid light brown. The navy suit + brown shoes look is one I'm a big fan of, but not for interviews. Interviews aren't the time to try to copy what you've seen on the latest cover of GQ.

If you wanted to own just one pair of shoes that should work for any interview situation for medical school/residency, buy a pair of black captoe balmorals (well, black cap toe of either style [balmoral vs. blucher] would suffice in a pinch). Black shoes, while not my personal favorite choice for a navy suit, will be 100% appropriate for interview attire with either a navy, charcoal, or (if you've ignored everything we've said so far) black suit.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey fashion geniuses, which of my ties should I use to go with Charcoal suit & white shirt? I am personally leaning towards the second one from the right.

FOtrAbX.jpg

I'd personally go with the burgundy/maroon one in the middle.

Reactions: 3 users
Navy suit is a good choice. Very light blue shirt (no french blue or anything close to this) looks good with navy, as does a white shirt. Those should be your only two options, probably. If you're even remotely hesitant about the blue shirt, stick with white.

As for shoes, for an interview like this your two choices should be black or merlot/burgundy/cordovan colored. Avoid brown, and certainly avoid light brown. The navy suit + brown shoes look is one I'm a big fan of, but not for interviews. Interviews aren't the time to try to copy what you've seen on the latest cover of GQ.

If you wanted to own just one pair of shoes that should work for any interview situation for medical school/residency, buy a pair of black captoe balmorals (well, black cap toe of either style [balmoral vs. blucher] would suffice in a pinch). Black shoes, while not my personal favorite choice for a navy suit, will be 100% appropriate for interview attire with either a navy, charcoal, or (if you've ignored everything we've said so far) black suit.
Totally agree.

The brown shoe/navy suit combo has been increasingly popular but has a "hipster" more casual vibe. I too like it but for a "Friday" sort of look. It is not for interviews. As I've noted here before, I love the cordovan shoe with a navy suit and it is the accepted color combo. Black would be the most versatile.

Cool, so navy blue suit, white shirt, black shoes and belt, any good tie colors??

Cool, so navy blue suit, white shirt, black shoes and belt, any good tie colors??
That depends on how classic you want to be.

Classic tie with a navy suit would be the red rep stripe. I prefer the darker merlot/burgundy especially if you were wearing the cordovan shoes. A hunter green with the white shirt would also be a classic prep school look.

More bold would be a goldenrod color (please no "80s yellow knit") and as I've professed a fondness for, purple/lavender. The latter is more risky as some, including my friend @gyngyn , seem not to like it. ;).

This Pinterest page is pretty fashion forward (so don't take all the advice there) but its got some good pins about collar styles, suit cuts, etc. in one convenient place.

So you're not in favor of MTM?
it depends on how much time you have. if you have about (time of construction) + a month or so, then yeah MTM will probably get you a better fit. Some people are more time-constrained so they can do the suitsupply + tailoring or whatever.

Cheap mtm is going to be cheap.
Unless you have a suit that fits you super well and send that in to get copied, at which point why go mtm if you get a good otr fit? Cheap bespoke will be cheap as well.

As with everything, you pay for quality. Might be some diamonds in the rough, but the push for mtm is solely driven by marketing. I'd guess that 90%+ of people can get a great fit with otr and some minor alterations.

Don't steam suits, you can damage then. You have to have someone competent press them so they retain shape.

Dry cleaning also hurts the fabric and should only be done when they're dirty which is after way more wear than people think.

your

Is a jacket/blazer 100% necessary. I have some ints in the hottest part of the country...

Is a jacket/blazer 100% necessary. I have some ints in the hottest part of the country...
Yes 100% necessary.

I live in one of the hottest cities in the US; if your faculty can be bothered to wear a suit to work everyday, so can you for your interview.

Going without it looks sloppy and disrespectful (and I'm somewhat stymied that we're still having this conversation).

Reactions: 1 users
Don't steam suits, you can damage then. You have to have someone competent press them so they retain shape.

Dry cleaning also hurts the fabric and should only be done when they're dirty which is after way more wear than people think.

your
True.

However, we are talking about someone getting light wrinkles out from their travel bag.

They are *not* going to have "someone competent" available to them to press the suit.

They are *not* going to be steaming the whole suit or using very heavy steam (have you ever used one of those travel irons/steamers? They barely work.)

Students interviewing for medical school are unlikely to be staying at a very fine hotel with in house laundry with same day service.

So you got a red tie even after you were advised not to. Hope its closer in color to burgundy...
Burgundy is red. The tie is darker than the picture on the site. When the sun hits it directly it looks lighter.

Last edited:
True.

However, we are talking about someone getting light wrinkles out from their travel bag.

They are *not* going to have "someone competent" available to them to press the suit.

They are *not* going to be steaming the whole suit or using very heavy steam (have you ever used one of those travel irons/steamers? They barely work.)

Students interviewing for medical school are unlikely to be staying at a very fine hotel with in house laundry with same day service.

I've honestly never had an issue with suits wrinkling if they're stored in garment bags. Unless I throw my jacket on my bed in the morning after deciding not to wear it, I've never really had an issue with wrinkling. You can also fold the jacket inside out to protect it from creasing.

I agree though, shouldn't really be an issue.

YOU SHOULD ALWAYS USE THE GARMENT BAGS THAT COME WITH YOUR SUITS THOUGH.

Most of the time, they're convenient and often they'll fold over gently in half without creasing the suit.

Can we criticize more? :p

Yes we can. It looks satin-y.

PSA. If you want to press creases out of a tie. Use an iron on low heat, put a THICK towel between the tie and the iron to iron it out, always test a spot on the back blade first to see how the tie reacts. You can destroy a nice tie super fast if you do this wrong.

Store ties by rolling them. Folding them makes creases. And for goodness sake don't leave ties knotted when you're storing them.

RTC out.

How does everyone feel about wearing jewelry? I'm not talking anything flashy, but I have a beaded turquoise and coral necklace my grandmother gave my father and has now been saved for me or another choice of a silver beaded necklace my dad is making. I'm not sure if it'll replace a tie or if I can find a way to wear both a tie and one of the necklaces.

Ironically I know jewelry isn't "traditional" in this setting. But I want to wear something "traditional" from my culture to compliment me.

How does everyone feel about wearing jewelry? I'm not talking anything flashy, but I have a beaded turquoise and coral necklace my grandmother gave my father and has now been saved for me or another choice of a silver beaded necklace my dad is making. I'm not sure if it'll replace a tie or if I can find a way to wear both a tie and one of the necklaces.

Ironically I know jewelry isn't "traditional" in this setting. But I want to wear something "traditional" from my culture to compliment me.

although i don't really think that jewelry would be appropriate at all, if i were to try it, i would go for a bracelet or a ring. you can try to take cues from those who try to #menswear/sprezzatura stuff, although most of it is clearly inappropriate for interview level formal wear.

the tie is one of those things that are absolutely required for the outfit to be at the interview formality level so avoid removing it.