Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just to clarify, I was saying that I'm anti full Windsor. Preference is for double four in hand. Pratt and half Windsor are fine, but the full is too much.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys will a clip-on tie be cool? haha JK.
No but seriously, what do you guys think of this suit? Too blue? Not conservative? Should I just get a new one?
Once picture has flash, the other one doesn't.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 65
  • image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 78
Can anyone offer advice on affordable dress watches?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone offer advice on affordable dress watches?
It really depends on your price range. If you want to go ultra cheap look for a timex weekender, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Unisex-...UTF8&qid=1410834615&sr=1-1&keywords=weekender and replace the nylon strap with a leather one, just make sure the watch face is not too big, bigger does not equal better, keep it under 43mm.
One step up I would say seiko or orient, I favor seiko because they are watch brand with history.
And then you can only go up from there by looking at your swiss watchmakers.
If you have a legitimate passion for watches look at purchasing a vintage pre 1970 omega, you can find them on ebay for very fair prices, just make sure the seller guarantees authenticity and you can take it to someone to check it out. This is what I did and after some searching on ebay i got a 1969 Omega Constellation ref 751

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys will a clip-on tie be cool? haha JK.
No but seriously, what do you guys think of this suit? Too blue? Not conservative? Should I just get a new one?
Once picture has flash, the other one doesn't.
Do you have the matching pants, because from the look of the jacket it looks like it is a sport coat (based on your buttons) But I would say that you should be fine with that color, there has been a trend towards the more blue suits, you can pair that with both black and brown leather and look really good, assuming it fits well.
But if you are in doubt and have the funds it couldn't hurt to get a suit you are confident with

Do you have the matching pants, because from the look of the jacket it looks like it is a sport coat (based on your buttons) But I would say that you should be fine with that color, there has been a trend towards the more blue suits, you can pair that with both black and brown leather and look really good, assuming it fits well.
But if you are in doubt and have the funds it couldn't hurt to get a suit you are confident with

Thanks for the response. I do have the full suit, can't find the picture online though and didn't feel like modeling for SDN haha. I do have these old pictures from the website from when I bought the suit (sorry for potato quality).

Attachments

• image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 67
  • image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 68
I know the shorter jacket is fashionable right now, but it is not conservative. Where does the bottom of the jacket hit you? Can you grab it when arms are down?
Color is fine, but I might change out the buttons and I would go very conservative with the shirt and tie.

I know the shorter jacket is fashionable right now, but it is not conservative. Where does the bottom of the jacket hit you? Can you grab it when arms are down?
Color is fine, but I might change out the buttons and I would go very conservative with the shirt and tie.

I can grab the bottom of the jacket with my arms down, is not as short as in the pictures. White shirt, don't know what tie color would be best, blue? dark red? black?

It really depends on your price range. If you want to go ultra cheap look for a timex weekender, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Unisex-...UTF8&qid=1410834615&sr=1-1&keywords=weekender and replace the nylon strap with a leather one, just make sure the watch face is not too big, bigger does not equal better, keep it under 43mm.
One step up I would say seiko or orient, I favor seiko because they are watch brand with history.
And then you can only go up from there by looking at your swiss watchmakers.
If you have a legitimate passion for watches look at purchasing a vintage pre 1970 omega, you can find them on ebay for very fair prices, just make sure the seller guarantees authenticity and you can take it to someone to check it out. This is what I did and after some searching on ebay i got a 1969 Omega Constellation ref 751

I don't think this post could've been better. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!

I can grab the bottom of the jacket with my arms down, is not as short as in the pictures. White shirt, don't know what tie color would be best, blue? dark red? black?
There are tons of posts in this thread about tie colors and suits. Most would frown on a red tie but a burgundy print with a navy suit is nice.

The bottom of a jacket should fall right at your metacarpophalangeal joints, i.e. right around your knuckle and the proximal joint. If it's falling at the base of your thumb, it's too short.

Like a good lawyer, a jacket should cover your ass.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would this tie be fine with a navy or charcoal suit? Also, what material are dress pants typically made out of? I didn't but the suit jacket with pants, so I need to buy them separately.

Attachments

• WIN_20140920_161520 (2).JPG
    WIN_20140920_161520 (2).JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 70
That's it! Weird.
Unfortunately, for some it can be difficult to differentiate what's appropriate for editorial/runway, creative fields and for medicine. I keep hoping that's the reason for some of the atrocities: they see it in a magazine so assume its "work appropriate".

Would this tie be fine with a navy or charcoal suit? Also, what material are dress pants typically made out of? I didn't but the suit jacket with pants, so I need to buy them separately.

The tie's fine, albeit a little wrinkled but you can take care of that by hanging it to steam while you shower. Dress pants can be made of a lot of material but generally there should be a tag in your jacket that states what material it is. A good guess would be wool if you bought it from a department store.

Unfortunately, for some it can be difficult to differentiate what's appropriate for editorial/runway, creative fields and for medicine. I keep hoping that's the reason for some of the atrocities: they see it in a magazine so assume its "work appropriate".
This was a first for me. I tried not to keep looking at his ankles. I'm pretty sure I failed.
The proportions on the rest of the outfit are fully explained by the Thom Browne photo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suit pants are made of exactly the same material as the suit jacket, and are purchased together.

Do not wear an orphaned jacket with a different pair of pants.

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you for the reply. I will work on getting a more conservative tie.
As for my suit, it is black. From this thread, I know that this is not an ideal color. Do you still have the same advice on a tie after learning it is black, or would you recommend something else?
The proportions on that suit are odd. It looks like it is cut like a 3 button, but with 2 buttons.

Seiko is a good company to look at. Decently priced and well-made.

I like Seiko; some watch snobs will poo-poo a Seiko, but I love the fact that their movements are in-house, and their fit and finish are excellent for the price. My Seiko SBDC001 Diver gets as much wrist time as my Breitling B-2.

@Afford That picture is so bad that it's hard to tell.

Also, you should buy the two together unless they're 'suit separates' because the fabric will often not be exactly the same. It would make the suit look weirdly off.

@HRSpecter @MrLogan13
I love seiko!

@ridethecliche I love Seiko, too! I love watches in general, horological devices are so cool. I admire the engineering and craftsmanship.

I recently had an applicant (who had clearly given his appearance a lot of thought) wear trousers that ended about 5 cm above the ankle. What is this?

This was a first for me. I tried not to keep looking at his ankles. I'm pretty sure I failed.
The proportions on the rest of the outfit are fully explained by the Thom Browne photo.

Please tell me he was wearing socks and wasn't full on Thom Browne.

Yes, but they were some darn strange socks. I had a large sample to review.

Oh my gosh. This is why I've been posting here. This is the kind of stuff to avoid. I think that aesthetic is really stupid for anything requiring formal wear.
Ugh Ugh Ugh.

The proportions on that suit are odd. It looks like it is cut like a 3 button, but with 2 buttons.

I think the third button is hidden, but that's weird.

I love 3-roll-2 lapels, but you're right that the one pictured there looks like a hard three.

Sold out, but chipp is great and that gren is a great bang for the buck.

I'd do light blue shirt instead, but the navy suit and navy tie can look great together, especially if the shades are slightly different.
My personal preference would be for brown shoes, but honestly everything you linked would go together. It won't look somber, just more classic. Suit supply cuts are pretty modern, so it'll be fine.

Maybe take a picture of the top half when you get everything and post it.

What do you guys think about lavendar striped shirt with lavendar tie underneath a navy suit and brown shoes?

What do you guys think about lavendar striped shirt with lavendar tie underneath a navy suit and brown shoes?

Keep everything except the lavender shirt. Go for a white or light blue shirt to be safest, or another lighter color.

While I love a lavender shirt, this falls into the category of "if you have to ask, the answer is no".

A lavender striped shirt with the lavender tie is too out there for a medical school interview.

I think the tie would be fine in a print with a white shirt. Brown shoes are considered too casual and give off a hipster vibe; choose Cordovan or black for the most conservative look.

While I love a lavender shirt, this falls into the category of "if you have to ask, the answer is no".

A lavender striped shirt with the lavender tie is too out there for a medical school interview.

I think the tie would be fine in a print with a white shirt. Brown shoes are considered too casual and give off a hipster vibe; choose Cordovan or black for the most conservative look.

I'm going to send you a picture of my brown shoes. I'm pretty sure you'll agree that they're more formal than merlot/oxblood/burgundy/cordovan colored ones ;)

I'm going to send you a picture of my brown shoes. I'm pretty sure you'll agree that they're more formal than merlot/oxblood/burgundy/cordovan colored ones ;)
I'm sure they are (says the guy with a beard ;) ) but remember what our goal is here: style for the masses. Faculty are old school and may see brown shoes as more casual, regardless of style.

Dayyuum, they did sell out of navy. Guess I'm not surprised. I've stumbled on their website while looking at ties and they are just about always sold out of the 'classic' colored grenadines. Navy definitely being most classic I guess. I should change my link to redirect to the burgundy - pick that up while you can I guess.

btw, how you been? Our school just did first day of interviews! PM me.

http://www.chippneckwear.com/wine-grenadine-tie/
^ looks nice too

Keep everything except the lavender shirt. Go for a white or light blue shirt to be safest, or another lighter color.

Here's a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20140922_171445.jpg
    IMG_20140922_171445.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 160
Here's a picture.

That tie is no bueno and that shirt should never be worn with a suit.

Dayyuum, they did sell out of navy. Guess I'm not surprised. I've stumbled on their website while looking at ties and they are just about always sold out of the 'classic' colored grenadines. Navy definitely being most classic I guess. I should change my link to redirect to the burgundy - pick that up while you can I guess.

btw, how you been? Our school just did first day of interviews! PM me.

http://www.chippneckwear.com/wine-grenadine-tie/
^ looks nice too

Chipp is honestly really awesome, especially for the price. I've heard nothing but good things about their stuff.

I bought two ties recently, a grenadine repp tie and a grey herringbone. I'll be totally set now!

Also, PM incoming!

Thanks for your opinion. Again, is it because the combo. doesn't look good (I personally love the combo. and felt that it would look really good) or is it just a little too 'informal' for med. interview?

Thanks for your opinion. Again, is it because the combo. doesn't look good (I personally love the combo. and felt that it would look really good) or is it just a little too 'informal' for med. interview?

That shirt is a 'sport shirt' and that tie is casual. The two together make me cringe. Please do not wear them together, unless you want to look ridiculous.

Last edited:
That shirt is a 'sport shirt' and that tie is casual. The two together make me cringe. Please do not wear them together, unless you want to look ridiculous.

If I were to go to an interview with the goal of looking ridiculous, this is what I would wear:

What makes it look like a 'casual tie'? Just wanna know for the future. I can't tell what it makes it 'less formal', even if I were to wear it with a white shirt.