Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's loud, for one. It wouldn't be too offensive with a white or blue shirt, but that tie is attention getting. I wouldn't own a tie like that, but some people like them. It's just not a 'classic tie' and I wouldn't really call it tasteful either.

I also just don't like that tie. It's shiny. The dots are on a grid. The grid is shiny. The dots are shiny. Sitting in front of someone for an hour and having to look at that would make me want to hit something.

Dots like this are so much more classic and tasteful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pir...299297644?pt=US_Mens_Ties&hash=item1e920c496c

Members don't see this ad.

It's loud, for one. It wouldn't be too offensive with a white or blue shirt, but that tie is attention getting. I wouldn't own a tie like that, but some people like them. It's just not a 'classic tie' and I wouldn't really call it tasteful either.

I also just don't like that tie. It's shiny. The dots are on a grid. The grid is shiny. The dots are shiny. Sitting in front of someone for an hour and having to look at that would make me want to hit something.

Dots like this are so much more classic and tasteful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pir...299297644?pt=US_Mens_Ties&hash=item1e920c496c

Lol good point. I personally like it because it does have an 'attention grabbing' tone to it, but I suppose it wouldn't be a good idea to wear it in an interview where it would be potentially distracting/annoying to the person staring at me for so long.

Just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a specific aspect of the tie that made it 'informal' as opposed to 'might backfire at an interview'.

I mean, it's not a soporific tie. I prefer those for interviews.

I've worn red ties to interviews before I knew any better, so there's definitely a learning curve to this stuffs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, it's not a soporific tie. I prefer those for interviews.

I've worn red ties to interviews before I knew any better, so there's definitely a learning curve to this stuffs.

I thought red ties were quite popular and acceptable for occasions like this...or would that be burgundy instead?

I'm sure they are (says the guy with a beard ;) ) but remember what our goal is here: style for the masses. Faculty are old school and may see brown shoes as more casual, regardless of style.

Beards rawk!

These are mine:

b55b0ffe_EZ3.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Is a shirt with cufflinks ok or too much?

http://imgur.com/a/SPUWG

Pictures are not very good (taken with macbook). Nor are my tie knots, which I put no thought into. I liked the blue shirt, and now I'm on the fence. Thinking it'll be a game time decision. Same with shoes.

Haha, my first comment was going to be to fix your knot. I think playing off the shades of blue looks cooler because none of them are the same and they go together without clashing and make you look put together without drawing extra attention anything. Do you see what I meant with the comments re: ties to the others?

I'd go with the byrons tbh. The rest of your outfit is sedate enough that brown shoes will look good. They're also darker brown and not tan I'm guessing, so it will go well.

internet-high-five.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your opinion. Again, is it because the combo. doesn't look good (I personally love the combo. and felt that it would look really good) or is it just a little too 'informal' for med. interview?
I agree with the others that its too busy, the tie is purple (not lavender - and we all know that @gyngyn hates purple), and most importantly, it looks cheap, I have to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I just got a few ties I think are interview worthy.

Leaning towards the repp tie, but the pindots and herringbone are cool! I have a few others I think are worthy and I'll post more pictures later so others here can find some inspiration.

IMG_20140922_225724.jpg

IMG_20140922_230754.jpg

I like 1,2,5 here most.

Last edited:
http://imgur.com/a/SPUWG

Pictures are not very good (taken with macbook). Nor are my tie knots, which I put no thought into. I liked the blue shirt, and now I'm on the fence. Thinking it'll be a game time decision. Same with shoes.
I'll trust @ridethecliche because on my monitor all the pictures look the same: white shirt, blue suit with matching blue tie. I don't see the color difference.

I couldn't really see the difference of the blue either. I just know it looks better lol.

I would avoid them for the following:

- some find French cuffs pretentious
- they are "noticeable"; you don't want to be the "French cuff" guy
- you might forget the cufflinks
- you might lose/break a cufflink

thank you!

The second one is drastically different. I would say that the first one isn't what I'd call a formal shirt either, but could look good worn with a sportcoat etc. Definitely not an interview shirt though.

Anyway, this isn't the place for that discussion. You have the advice you need for interviews, so use it if you want.

Both are fine. I prefer pindot though.

Honestly, stripes and solids are probably safer than pindots or that neat you posted, especially if you're unsure. I'd wear the heck out of that pindot though if you look above you'll see I have that exact tie except with red dots. I'm getting one with white dots soon as that's more conservative than red dots.

Both are fine. I prefer pindot though.

Honestly, stripes and solids are probably safer than pindots or that neat you posted, especially if you're unsure. I'd wear the heck out of that pindot though if you look above you'll see I have that exact tie except with red dots. I'm getting one with white dots soon as that's more conservative than red dots.

Ya I noticed, yours with the red dots look pretty cool too. By the way, where did you get it? I hope it was cheaper than $60.

For the one I posted, do you think the navy with blue dots look better or white dots for a blue suit, although the latter is more conservative?

Ya I noticed, yours with the red dots look pretty cool too. By the way, where did you get it? I hope it was cheaper than $60.

For the one I posted, do you think the navy with blue dots look better or white dots for a blue suit, although the latter is more conservative?

Mine's a brooks brothers as well. Navy with white dots would be my preference. I have one of those coming in. I'd try ebay for a similar tie if you can find it, but honestly that tie will last you for years if you take half decent care of it.

I'm assuming you want to wear it with a navy suit?

In the picture below:

1: Not really a well known brand
2+3: Brooks brothers
4: Ben silver (like a 165 dollar tie)
5: A neopolitan tie (also $$$)

I paid nothing close to the list price for any of those. The pro's of being a bargain hunter. I could resell the last 4 ties for about as much as I paid, if not more.

IMG_20140922_225724.jpg

For $60 or less, you can get some nice Canali ties second hand on eBay.

For $60 or less, you can get some nice Canali ties second hand on eBay.

That's a good idea, but it's always risky on e-bay when it comes to authenticity. Canali ties are pretty amazing though.

Mine's a brooks brothers as well. Navy with white dots would be my preference. I have one of those coming in. I'd try ebay for a similar tie if you can find it, but honestly that tie will last you for years if you take half decent care of it.

I'm assuming you want to wear it with a navy suit?

In the picture below:

1: Not really a well known brand
2+3: Brooks brothers
4: Ben silver (like a 165 dollar tie)
5: A neopolitan tie (also $$$)

I paid nothing close to the list price for any of those. The pro's of being a bargain hunter. I could resell the last 4 ties for about as much as I paid, if not more.

Ya I plan to wear with a navy suit (actually my suit is a bit brighter than typical navy) and white shirt, or maybe even light blue (white would probably be better). How did you manage to get the Brooks bro. one for a bargain price? Ebay?

Also, when do you have the other one coming in? It would be fantastic if you could post a pic of it against a white shirt when it does since I'm in no hurry to get it atm.

I usually buy my stuff at thrift stores or online on a bunch of sites.

I've bought and sold stuff on ebay. Brooks brothers ties really aren't all that rare. Search for brooks brothers pindot tie on ebay and you'll find something.

I usually buy my stuff at thrift stores or online on a bunch of sites.

I've bought and sold stuff on ebay. Brooks brothers ties really aren't all that rare. Search for brooks brothers pindot tie on ebay and you'll find something.

I found some magnificient ties on ebay. Any of these stand out as a definite 'no' for interviews? Of all the ones I posted (incl. the navy blue brooks brothers from before), which would be top 3?

Here's my order of preference:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Showcase-CAN...059801063?pt=US_Mens_Ties&hash=item5410d757e7

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FIRM-Brooks-...513572117?pt=US_Mens_Ties&hash=item2a430d4f15

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Brooks-Broth...20091411&rk=4&rkt=10&sd=161404442880#viTabs_0

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Brooks-Broth...116026512?pt=US_Mens_Ties&hash=item1e871fca90

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Brooks-Broth...331884410?pt=US_Mens_Ties&hash=item35dc746d7a

I would say the first one is a no, though I want it.

Lol funny...I didn't like any of these ones either.

Well it's a good thing I'm not letting you pick for me then. Haha!

You seem drawn to busy ties. They're fun, but not right for interviews. The second one you posted is the least offensive one.

Last edited:
Also this is what I meant when I said shades of blue play well together.

Four different ones here.

IMG_20140923_153717.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a nice suit, remember you get what you pay for, this suit is not going to be one that will last but if you are just looking for something for interviews and this is your price range it looks good. Before we discuss anything else, make sure it fits properly (mainly in the shoulders) and then get it tailored. Personally I would change the tie to just a solid navy/ midnight blue tie. But looks like a decent suit at a great price good luck!

Looks like a nice suit, remember you get what you pay for, this suit is not going to be one that will last but if you are just looking for something for interviews and this is your price range it looks good. Before we discuss anything else, make sure it fits properly (mainly in the shoulders) and then get it tailored. Personally I would change the tie to just a solid navy/ midnight blue tie. But looks like a decent suit at a great price good luck!

alright thanks.

so when u say it won't last, what's the criteria I should use when shopping for a suit that would last? Price doesn't seem to be a reliable criterion...perhaps material percentages?

And when u say won't last are u talking 5+ years. I'll be wearing a suit only on occasions. I mean like a few interviews, then maybe special occasions/presentations in med school. So like after wearing it like 10 times, u think the wear and tear would start to be noticeable?

Sorry for the questions...never really went through shopping for a decent suit.

alright thanks.

so when u say it won't last, what's the criteria I should use when shopping for a suit that would last? Price doesn't seem to be a reliable criterion...perhaps material percentages?

And when u say won't last are u talking 5+ years. I'll be wearing a suit only on occasions. I mean like a few interviews, then maybe special occasions/presentations in med school. So like after wearing it like 10 times, u think the wear and tear would start to be noticeable?

Sorry for the questions...never really went through shopping for a decent suit.
No don't apologize for the questions... It pretty much comes down to the fabric and if the suit is canvassed, half-canvassed or fused. These lead to the suit being able to maintain its structure and hold up after longer periods of time and more times dry cleaned. I bought a relatively mid-tier suit on sale because that was all that my budget allowed for but if you have the means to purchase a more expensive suit it will probably end up being a better bargain in the long run. But here is a good article to read about suits and some basics. Hope this helps: http://dappered.com/2011/02/how-to-buy-a-cheap-suit-and-still-look-like-a-million-bucks-2/

It's almost counter-intuitive, but work horse suits more often have 'cheaper' wool. If you get a super 100's suit vs a super 180's wool suit, the latter isn't going to fare as well over time as the former as the wool is much finer. For our purposes, it really doesn't matter.

That suit is fine if it fits well. I concur with @Shootinblanks re: tie choice etc. A pindot tie would be a nice touch as well.

Thoughts on a kelly green tie w/ white polka dots with navy suit/navy shirt? Or maroon with same dots.
Are you planning on wearing a navy suit with a navy shirt? If so, please do not. I would also say the maroon would be a better choice. I am a big fan of forest/hunter green ties with navy but what came up for kelly green for me looked too bright.

Navy suit and light blue shirt is fine. White shirt is fine too. Can't go wrong with either of those colors and those are pretty much the only two that you should even think of wearing for an interview.

Maybe bankers stripes for a shirt would be fine too, but I think you want to keep it simple. Many other things look good too, but this is not the time or place.

How long should slacks be? I bought a pair and when I'm standing, they reach my ankle and barely touch the top of my shoe, but if I sit, the bottom of the pants rise to 3 inches from my ankle. It feels too short. Is this too short?

Saw someone at an interview wearing a bright turquoise shirt, plaid tie, and grey trousers without a jacket. Ouch.

Reactions: 4 users