Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Will a 2.25" wide tie be OK? I am of skinny to average build and will wear a slim fit suit. I have a 3" tie, but, I feel that the 2.25" tie looks much better with my suit.

Don't think about an absolute width, it's all about proportions. The widest point of your tie should match with the widest point of your lapel.

Don't wear an ultra skinny tie; they may be trendy and "fashionable", but they're not considered professional.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I like the purple tie as well. The third tie with a white shirt would be a good option. Your blue shirt is too bright to count as light blue.

Reactions: 1 user
That third picture, that blue is way too bright.

Hey all you beautiful people.
Got 2 back to back interviews coming up, trying to decide on 2 of 3 of these:

Any advice/feedback?

I vote against the purple tie. Sadly, I don't care for that stripe either. No nice pin dot?

Hey all you beautiful people.
Got 2 back to back interviews coming up, trying to decide on 2 of 3 of these:

Any advice/feedback?

Those ties are all bad. The second shirt is okay (white?) but I'd avoid pink (might be okay) and that last blue one.

Get a decent stripe tie or pindot like gyngyn suggested.

Also, you can wear the same outfit for two interviews. If the interviewers are different, it doesn't matter. Even if they are, then just take a clean shirt and call it a day. It's not a big deal.

Wear the purple

This is bad advice. Stopppp...

That tie is hideous and not appropriate in this context at all. I'm interested to see this midnight blue one though @VitaminVater though I think it might be too stark. That's better than the current alternatives though...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Those ties are all bad. The second shirt is okay (white?) but I'd avoid pink (might be okay) and that last blue one.

Get a decent stripe tie or pindot like gyngyn suggested.

Also, you can wear the same outfit for two interviews. If the interviewers are different, it doesn't matter. Even if they are, then just take a clean shirt and call it a day. It's not a big deal.

This is bad advice. Stopppp...

That tie is hideous and not appropriate in this context at all. I'm interested to see this midnight blue one though @VitaminVater though I think it might be too stark. That's better than the current alternatives though...

Are you trying to out-fashion me? Where's the "uh no" smiley???? :p

OP- f it, wear pink!

Members don't see this ad :)
Women are often terrible about picking out clothing for men, even if they are extremely fashionable.
Especially interview attire. Even more so if they are extremely fashionable.
It's not about fashion, it's about propriety.

Reactions: 2 users
Especially interview attire. Even more so if they are extremely fashionable.
It's not about fashion, it's about propriety.
I agree.

On a day to day basis, I would definitely prefer the man who shows up at my door with a lavender tie and grey suit for dinner and drinks.

The man who shows up for interview with such makes me wonder what other rules he chooses to flaunt. Not a match violation per se just makes me wonder.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree.

On a day to day basis, I would definitely prefer the man who shows up at my door with a lavender tie and grey suit for dinner and drinks.

The man who shows up for interview with such makes me wonder what other rules he chooses to flaunt. Not a match violation per se just makes me wonder.

Oh you can flaunt what you got without gawd awful ties.

There are some rad windowpane suits I wish I had money and occasion for... Now throw in variations with peak lapels and pocket squares and I'm a happy man.

I agree.

There was that one time I tried to convince Kaus that an Easter bunny pink shirt and tie was a great interview look...

Oh you can flaunt what you got without gawd awful ties.

There are some rad windowpane suits I wish I had money and occasion for... Now throw in variations with peak lapels and pocket squares and I'm a happy man.
I've seen way more peak lapels this year than I thought I would. Wild, patterned socks are on the rise, too. No windowpanes and very few pocket squares.

There was that one time I tried to convince Kaus that an Easter bunny pink shirt and tie was a great interview look...

Oh gawd.

That said, I might wear a pinstripe suit and pocket square to my Miami interview!

I've seen way more peak lapels this year than I thought I would. Wild, patterned socks are on the rise, too. No windowpanes and very few pocket squares.

Peak lapels on single breasted suits are 'in' right now. I think they look okay sometimes, but think peak lapels really belong on a double breasted jacket outside of maybe single breasted tuxedo jackets with a peak lapel. I've been looking for a good peak lapel double breasted blazer. I have a single breasted navy jacket with peak lapels, but haven't worn it in a bit.

Come to think of it, I haven't dressed up that much for work lately. I wore this the other day and one of the surgeons called me ron burgundy lol.

Oh gawd.

That said, I might wear a pinstripe suit and pocket square to my Miami interview!

Peak lapels on single breasted suits are 'in' right now. I think they look okay sometimes, but think peak lapels really belong on a double breasted jacket outside of maybe single breasted tuxedo jackets with a peak lapel. I've been looking for a good peak lapel double breasted blazer. I have a single breasted navy jacket with peak lapels, but haven't worn it in a bit.

Come to think of it, I haven't dressed up that much for work lately. I wore this the other day and one of the surgeons called me ron burgundy lol.

Peaks on a black suit are just too tuxedo for my taste, but the poor kids are trying, I guess.
Is that a crown fold on your pocket square?!

Personally I only wear peaked lapels on a tuxedo. I just think they look a little too flare-ey on business attire.

It depends. Some of them look pretty nice and formal as well, but they're certainly more attention drawing.

Peaks on a black suit are just too tuxedo for my taste, but the poor kids are trying, I guess.
Is that a crown fold on your pocket square?!

Yeah... I agree with that re: black peak suits.

I've seen some well dressed people at interviews in peak lapel suits. One of them was wearing dub monks as well. I was like man, you are braver than I am! Such a huge difference between the best dressed and least well dressed though. People still had vents sewn shut etc.

Nah, more like a puff fold. Pretty much the only things I do are puff or TV Fold (for white linen squares in suits).

Yeah... I agree with that re: black peak suits.
Nah, more like a puff fold. Pretty much the only things I do are puff or TV Fold (for white linen squares in suits).
Nice. Just don't do it on your interview! Even in Miami.

Oh gawd.

Omg this outfit.

Oh gawd.

Looks like you're at the gym. Might be a touch overdressed for the elliptical. :p

Man y'all are a bunch of stiffs, wore that pink/lavender shirt and tie to both my interviews and got multiple compliments for it, although I guess it helps to be really, really ridiculously good looking

Man y'all are a bunch of stiffs, wore that pink/lavender shirt and tie to both my interviews and got multiple compliments for it, although I guess it helps to be really, really ridiculously good looking
I say nice things to guys wearing bad interview outfits all the time. There's no use in saying anything else at that point!
Me: Nice (lime green) shirt.
Applicant: My girlfriend picked it out!
Me: You don't really see that shade in menswear often.
Applicant: Yeah, she said it would help me stand out in the crowd.
Me: She's right about that!
Both: chuckle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 users
I say nice things to guys wearing bad interview outfits all the time. There's no use in saying anything else at that point!
Me: Nice (lime green) shirt.
Applicant: My girlfriend picked it out!
Me: You don't really see that shade in menswear often.
Applicant: Yeah, she said it would help me stand out in the crowd.
Me: She's right about that!
Both: chuckle.

:lol: so lesson learned is to take any comments on your appearance with a grain of salt I guess...

Hahahahaha
I don't think there are any indian blonde cartoon characters unfortunately :D

Well we gotta change that! Let's collaborate on a screenplay.

On a side note, excuse my ignorance but do you dye your hair? I've never met a blonde Indian woman :p

Well we gotta change that! Let's collaborate on a screenplay.

On a side note, excuse my ignorance but do you dye your hair? I've never met a blonde Indian woman :p

Yes :) it's a pita to upkeep but it's fun for now. I'll eventually have to dye it dark again, my mother won't stfu about how she thinks I'm having confused identity issues

Modern day version of Aladdin screenplay!

Yes :) it's a pita to upkeep but it's fun for now. I'll eventually have to dye it dark again, my mother won't stfu about how she thinks I'm having confused identity issues

Modern day version of Aladdin screenplay!

Lmao you should submit to the "desi girl problems" Twitter. I'm afraid my hair only goes with my natural jet black color, anything else would probably get a couple stares XD