Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Because quality suits are expensive, it's a shame that the suit one would want to own and wear in the real world might not be the suit one should wear while interviewing. That said, I say go for the blue suit.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard to tell if the tie is appropriate because the photo is so aliased.

I'm going to be going suit shopping tomorrow.
I've always been a fan of grey. Is there a ADCOM preference between: charcoal vs lighy grey vs regular grey? Also, whats the take on patterns? yes/no? depends?
I'm new at this and there are a lot of pages that I would prefer not to sift through lol

I'm going to be going suit shopping tomorrow.
I've always been a fan of grey. Is there a ADCOM preference between: charcoal vs lighy grey vs regular grey? Also, whats the take on patterns? yes/no? depends?
I'm new at this and there are a lot of pages that I would prefer not to sift through lol

NOT light gray and preferably not pin-striped (too 'banker'). Medium to charcoal would work

Reactions: 1 users
would a subtle charcoal checkered pattern be off limits?

Would certainly not be off limits -- But if you're shopping for that one interview suit to buy, it probably wouldn't be what I'd suggest you buy either.

Because quality suits are expensive, it's a shame that the suit one would want to own and wear in the real world might not be the suit one should wear while interviewing. That said, I say go for the blue suit.

And there's your problem. Life's too short to just own one suit.

Reactions: 2 users
Any comments on what to wear to an Open House? Don't want to be the D wearing a full suit (even without a tie) if others are more business casual. At the same time, don't want to show up in a polo and others are in top hat and tails #gunner #tuxfordays

Reactions: 1 user
I have a dark grey Italian suit, ive been seeing a lot of charcoal and black, can I stick with my grey one?

I have a dark grey Italian suit, ive been seeing a lot of charcoal and black, can I stick with my grey one?

Again, if you have a medium or dark grey suit of moderate cut, it'll be fine.

If you don't have a suit that's appropriate and want to buy just one to interview in, go for a plain navy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any comments on what to wear to an Open House? Don't want to be the D wearing a full suit (even without a tie) if others are more business casual. At the same time, don't want to show up in a polo and others are in top hat and tails #gunner #tuxfordays

Can't go wrong with business casual, which is a term I hate. Leather shoes, pants that aren't jeans, a collared shirt.

Try to always go charcoal or gray first if you don't already have one. It goes with a greater variety of shirts/ties (a lot of combos happen to be blue in any store) and you won't have to walk in wondering what the interviewer is going to think of you before you even open your mouth. Black's too harsh and is for the night time. Not likely that your interview will be anytime after 5.

Hey guys so I know how to dress well but from the looks of this thread, medicine is super boring and/or the crowd here is neurotically risk-averse and maybe ridiculous...so I'm curious about this suit I own (old pics). The stock photo looks very different from the real color so in better fluorescent lighting the actual navy/blue is in between the two photos here. Comments? (I know how to put the rest of the outfit together)

new_39_437_1393_804_57.jpeg
11749495_10154135024199768_1627647323_n.jpg

Hey guys so I know how to dress well but from the looks of this thread, medicine is super boring and/or the crowd here is neurotically risk-averse and maybe ridiculous...so I'm curious about this suit I own (old pics). The stock photo looks very different from the real color so in better fluorescent lighting the actual navy/blue is in between the two photos here. Comments? (I know how to put the rest of the outfit together)
It's not worth it.
If you own a boring, well tailored navy or charcoal suit, a medical school interview is the perfect time to wear it.
You are right about being risk averse. We are.

It's not worth it.
If you own a boring, well tailored navy or charcoal suit, a medical school interview is the perfect time to wear it.
You are right about being risk averse. We are.
Not worth it as in there's a chance I'll be rejected because of this? That seems quite harsh for wearing a suit color. I mean, it's not like I'll have a bowtie or a red suit on

Not worth it as in there's a chance I'll be rejected because of this? That seems quite harsh for wearing a suit color. I mean, it's not like I'll have a bowtie or a red suit on
How you present yourself is an important aspect of the interview. There is no reason to make anything but a positive impression. It's not about being rejected. It's about showing that you know what is expected of you.

How you present yourself is an important aspect of the interview. There is no reason to make anything but a positive impression. It's not about being rejected. It's about showing that you know what is expected of you.
So even if I'm somewhat of a nontrad who has way above average (I would think, compared to the 21-22-year old pool) interviewing skills, should my calculus be at all different?

So even if I'm somewhat of a nontrad who has way above average (I would think, compared to the 21-22-year old pool) interviewing skills, should my calculus be at all different?

Pretty Bold statement. Not every pre-med college undergrad is a bookworm that cant talk to people.

Not with regard to your dress.
Okay, thank you. Very interesting indeed. I'm still not sure I understand what about a darkish blue suit makes anything less than a positive impression? But thanks again

Okay, thank you. Very interesting indeed. I'm still not sure I understand what about a darkish blue suit makes anything less than a positive impression? But thanks again
It's the combination of bright(er) color and skinny cut.

always wear top hats and tails no matter what

Slow down there Mr. Hollywood. Not every pre-med is inept with attire. A professional school interview is very formal and going off script is kind of a stupid risk. Go ahead and wear whatever suit you want. I'm not quite sure how being a non-trad makes you a fashion genius and interview ace...

It's a common misconception/fallacy to which many nontrads fall victim.

I'm OK with it...I'm tired of "Funeral Black".

Slow down there Mr. Hollywood. Not every pre-med is inept with attire. A professional school interview is very formal and going off script is kind of a stupid risk. Go ahead and wear whatever suit you want. I'm not quite sure how being a non-trad makes you a fashion genius and interview ace...

51WwmIG67GL._UL1500_.jpg

Im thinking of getting this suit, its in my budget and seems to fit the criteria that is needed from I've been reading. I would not be wearing the sunglasses, scruff, pound of gel, or swag as shown in the picture, is this good?

51WwmIG67GL._UL1500_.jpg

Im thinking of getting this suit, its in my budget and seems to fit the criteria that is needed from I've been reading. I would not be wearing the sunglasses, scruff, pound of gel, or swag as shown in the picture, is this good?

Last edited:
I've been trying to sift through this extensive thread for advice, but haven't found much. Where would you all suggest going to buy a mid-priced suit? I don't really have around a grand to purchase some of those suits that I have seen posted on here.

I've been trying to sift through this extensive thread for advice, but haven't found much. Where would you all suggest going to buy a mid-priced suit? I don't really have around a grand to purchase some of those suits that I have seen posted on here.

Department stores like Macys, JcPennys, Dillards, etc. My suit was regular priced at $750. I did my research and got it for $297, which included tax.

My apology. Could you further assist me in finding ties you prefer, @DokterMom?

I did a quick search on eBay for "Brooks Brothers Necktie" and well over half of what came up would be very appropriate. That said, you may not be comfortable buying a necktie online, and you'd definitely want to make sure it was unsoiled -- so buy a tie new. (Suits, you can get amazing deals for very lightly used very high quality suits on eBay, so my personal advice is if you've got under $200 to spend, look there first. Seriously.)

OK - For ties, go to Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx, Marshall's or Steinmart. (I'm sure many other 'designer discount' stores -- NOT discount discount like Walmart or even JC Penney -- will also have nice ties.

What to look for in a tie: (Written at the "I don't know what I'm doing" crowd level. These 'rules' can absolutely be bent if you do know what you're doing.)
  • A color that is conservative but not deadly boring -- wine red, yellow, medium blue, medium green. There should be some appreciable contrast between your tie and your suit -- so a dark blue tie is OK with a grey suit, but probably not with a navy suit. Purple, orange and brown should probably not be your colors of choice, though they can sometimes work. Black and dark grey are generally too somber; silver can be very sharp.
  • A fabric that is rich-looking. Rich-looking means relatively thick/heavy with some texture to the weave. NOT satin, NOT shiny. It should be genuine silk, not polyester or any other fabric blend. I would avoid most solid color with no texture ties.
  • A pattern that is conservative and not distracting to the eye. Your interviewer should be looking at your face, not your tie. And the 'pattern' can absolutely be in the weave -- herringbone, stripe, etc. Plaids and paisleys can certainly work, but it's far easier to choose a bad plaid or paisley than a bad stripe.

Department stores like Macys, JcPennys, Dillards, etc. My suit was regular priced at $750. I did my research and got it for $297, which included tax.
I haven't done much research, but thoughts on quality and price of places like Men's Wearhouse and Jos. A. Bank? I admittedly know little about suits.

I did a quick search on eBay for "Brooks Brothers Necktie" and well over half of what came up would be very appropriate. That said, you may not be comfortable buying a necktie online, and you'd definitely want to make sure it was unsoiled -- so buy a tie new. (Suits, you can get amazing deals for very lightly used very high quality suits on eBay, so my personal advice is if you've got under $200 to spend, look there first. Seriously.)

OK - For ties, go to Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx, Marshall's or Steinmart. (I'm sure many other 'designer discount' stores -- NOT discount discount like Walmart or even JC Penney -- will also have nice ties.

What to look for in a tie: (Written at the "I don't know what I'm doing" crowd level. These 'rules' can absolutely be bent if you do know what you're doing.)
  • A color that is conservative but not deadly boring -- wine red, yellow, medium blue, medium green. There should be some appreciable contrast between your tie and your suit -- so a dark blue tie is OK with a grey suit, but probably not with a navy suit. Purple, orange and brown should probably not be your colors of choice, though they can sometimes work. Black and dark grey are generally too somber; silver can be very sharp.
  • A fabric that is rich-looking. Rich-looking means relatively thick/heavy with some texture to the weave. NOT satin, NOT shiny. It should be genuine silk, not polyester or any other fabric blend. I would avoid most solid color with no texture ties.
  • A pattern that is conservative and not distracting to the eye. Your interviewer should be looking at your face, not your tie. And the 'pattern' can absolutely be in the weave -- herringbone, stripe, etc. Plaids and paisleys can certainly work, but it's far easier to choose a bad plaid or paisley than a bad stripe.

Thank you so much. I finally have something to work off of. +1

My eyes are bleeding!

:bang:I'm so sorry.