Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't done much research, but thoughts on quality and price of places like Men's Wearhouse and Jos. A. Bank? I admittedly know little about suits.

Red: Quality, reliable suits, but it can be very $. VERY sharp on the eye.
Blue: Read their reviews. However, inexpensive compared to red.

Members don't see this ad.

Men's Warehouse and Jos A Bank are for people who work in mid-level management or sales positions. Strive to be better than that.

Reactions: 1 users
How is something like this except with a sky blue dress shirt and a dark blue tie with a thin diagonal stripe pattern that looks a little like this except much more subdued (I cannot for the life of me find the design online). The suit itself appears a little darker and it's what I used last year during my interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see nothing about brown/charcoal brown suits in the last few pages. Thoughts on a darker brown tone, something like this:

charcoal-brown-suit-with-blue-overcheck-hero.jpg

Men's Warehouse and Jos A Banks suits tend to be a little too boxy for a young person's frame. If you can get one of their slim suits, it won't look bad. SDN tends to forget that we don't all have the money and time for serious suit shopping. If you can find a suit that is canvassed, or half canvassed (not fused together with glue) the suit will look better and last longer. Still, if you don't have serious money to burn, just make sure it is well-tailored. I don't believe that a low SES applicant that comes in dressed in a cheap but appropriate looking suit would be marked down for appearance. Now a rich kid wearing a Tom Ford suit with no socks would and should be mocked.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Can you give an suggestions or examples, then?

if you are looking for something affordable, places like Nordstrom Rack, Saks Off Fifth, Neiman Marcus Last Call, etc are all great because they carry designer suits that are marked down. last thing i would ever recommend is ordering a suit off the internet without being able to try it on first.

if you are looking for something affordable, places like Nordstrom Rack, Saks Off Fifth, Neiman Marcus Last Call, etc are all great because they carry designer suits that are marked down. last thing i would ever recommend is ordering a suit off the internet without being able to try it on first.
How are places like J. Crew viewed for suits?

I see nothing about brown/charcoal brown suits in the last few pages. Thoughts on a darker brown tone, something like this:

View attachment 194295
Traditionally brown says middle management and not the boss. Navy and charcoal grey were the leadership colours. So brown sends a message of not advancing. Two cents.

Reactions: 1 users
How are places like J. Crew viewed for suits?
J.Crew has a really nice suit line. In fact, JCrew Factory has a suit line called Thompson that is surprisingly nice. Neither go on sale very often though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1437678933.981643.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1437678933.981643.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 311
  • ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1437678959.154499.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1437678959.154499.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
View attachment 194303View attachment 194304

What do you guys think? I really like the suits but idk if the lines are acceptable for this kind of interview

EDIT: got an tailors advice. They said this was stylish but if I want to be conservative, to stick with colors that would be suitable for corporate America, which are charcoal, black, and navy blue
Hmm, this is kind of what I wore to my interviews (which I failed because I was unprepared most likely) but maybe I should look into a darker charcoal. How much does an average tailoring job cost?

Hmm, this is kind of what I wore to my interviews (which I failed because I was unprepared most likely) but maybe I should look into a darker charcoal. How much does an average tailoring job cost?

How close is your build to that of an average 40 year old? That'll give you a relative cost.

How close is your build to that of an average 40 year old? That'll give you a relative cost.
6ft1 with long limbs, about a 40L. I never had anything tailored before but I had difficulties finding pant/coat combinations where the pants were sufficiently large enough. This is what I wore except with a skinnier darker blue tie and a solid sky blue dress shirt. Literally the only full suit I could find at Nordstrom Rack that was roughly the right color and could actually be worn. Also, no pocket square.

Attachments

• Belk.jpg
    Belk.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 83
Men's Warehouse and Jos A Bank are for people who work in mid-level management or sales positions. Strive to be better than that.

Agreed. Low quality as well. They won't last long.

I suggest banana republic. They have some great suits.

I, for one, will be buying a cheap, well-fitted yet boring suit. With all of these restrictions on color and style, I doubt I will ever want to wear this suit again. I was looking forward to having an excuse to buy a nice, modern, edgy all black suit, BUT since that is apparently a huge no no, i'm going for cheap, standard, gray, never-going-to-wear-again-sorry-malaysian-children suit because, even with a full time job, this process has left me penniless (my horribly timed trip to spain at the end of september may be partially responsible as well).

i get that we are all broke college students, but it is worth it to invest in a good quality suit, even if means spending a couple hundred more. there will be many more occasions beyond your med school interviews that will require a suit, make the investment.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree that everyone should own a nice suit. In fact i was looking forward to buying one, but I can't imagine many events in my future where i want to wear a charcoal or navy suit that lacks any aesthetic appeal and says nothing more than I am boring, don't stand out from the crowd, and can appease old conservative notions of professional dress. But that's just me :)

Clearly i'm taking this whole strict dress code thing a little harder than most

Thought I would hijack this thread for a bit..

Looking into buying my first tuxedo, gonna have a lot of black-tie events coming up in this next year.
Any recommendations on decent brands? Not looking to break the bank but also don't want to cheap out.

I'm going to be spending a lot of time on this thread to kill time this semester, heh!

Hey guys so I know how to dress well but from the looks of this thread, medicine is super boring and/or the crowd here is neurotically risk-averse and maybe ridiculous...so I'm curious about this suit I own (old pics). The stock photo looks very different from the real color so in better fluorescent lighting the actual navy/blue is in between the two photos here. Comments? (I know how to put the rest of the outfit together)

View attachment 194238 View attachment 194239

The real color looks 'okay'. Like if you tone it down with the tie and shoes it might work. It's like a steel/grey blue which is okay. It wouldn't have been my choice but it's workable. Also everyone says that they know how to dress, but my experience would show otherwise.

what's wrong with light grey?

It's not formal.

@gyngyn @Goro From 1-12, which would you deem as acceptable?
View attachment 194283

None.

My apology. Could you further assist me in finding ties you prefer, @DokterMom?

Go to brooks brothers or nordy rack and pick up a navy blue with pindots or a striped repp tie that doesn't have gaudy colors. A tie is a place where going to brooks brothers and asking for an interview tie will be worth the money.

Or you can look around there and go on ebay to find something for less than 20 shipped...

View attachment 194303View attachment 194304

What do you guys think? I really like the suits but idk if the lines are acceptable for this kind of interview

EDIT: got an tailors advice. They said this was stylish but if I want to be conservative, to stick with colors that would be suitable for corporate America, which are charcoal, black, and navy blue

Black is an awful color for a suit that's not worn at a funeral.

I don't really like their stuff but that looks acceptable. I would make sure they have your size.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Looking into buying my first tuxedo, gonna have a lot of black-tie events coming up in this next year.
Any recommendations on decent brands? Not looking to break the bank but also don't want to cheap out.
i've never bought from them but they seem to be getting ok reviews
https://www.combatgent.com/tuxedos

Do your research first regarding what a tuxedo should actually entail. The vast majority of tuxedos out there are not at all correct in their style or materials. A tuxedo is not a suit jacket with satin lapels.

Blacktieguide.com is a decent start. I actually got my tux from Indochino a few years ago. They, like black lapel and other made to measure companies, allow you to customize your tux so that it is correct and does not look like an abomination like what most men end up wearing to weddings and formal functions.

I really like how mine turned out, and the quality is reasonably good, and exceptional given the price. Particularly for something I will not be wearing too frequently, I was much more interested in getting the style, materials, and fit correct then worrying as much about quality of construction. Then again, I am somewhat of an odd shaped human being, so it is difficult to find off the rack suits and tuxes that fit.

Do your research first regarding what a tuxedo should actually entail. The vast majority of tuxedos out there are not at all correct in their style or materials. A tuxedo is not a suit jacket with satin lapels.

Blacktieguide.com is a decent start. I actually got my tux from Indochino a few years ago. They, like black lapel and other made to measure companies, allow you to customize your tux so that it is correct and does not look like an abomination like what most men end up wearing to weddings and formal functions.

I really like how mine turned out, and the quality is reasonably good, and exceptional given the price. Particularly for something I will not be wearing too frequently, I was much more interested in getting the style, materials, and fit correct then worrying as much about quality of construction. Then again, I am somewhat of an odd shaped human being, so it is difficult to find off the rack suits and tuxes that fit.

Yea that's what I was doing all of yesterday haha
Decided to go with a black tux, grossgrain, peaked lapels. Unfortunately, many of the cheaper options seems to be going with a pseudo-suit look to their tuxes (flapped pockets, vents, notch lapels) so I'll have to look elsewhere. I actually was recommended Indochino but I'll have to see if I can stay within my budget with that option.

Thanks for the advice!

Yea that's what I was doing all of yesterday haha
Decided to go with a black tux, grossgrain, peaked lapels. Unfortunately, many of the cheaper options seems to be going with a pseudo-suit look to their tuxes (flapped pockets, vents, notch lapels) so I'll have to look elsewhere. I actually was recommended Indochino but I'll have to see if I can stay within my budget with that option.

Thanks for the advice!

Look around for sales, they usually have some now and then.

I got mine before their general price hike. I paid $320 for the tux, tux shirt, and a bow tie. It was a special promotion when their normal suit or tux price was $375, but they offered a suit or tux with a made-to-measure shirt and tie included in the promotion. It was a fantastic deal and I couldn't pass it up.

Look around for sales, they usually have some now and then.

I got mine before their general price hike. I paid $320 for the tux, tux shirt, and a bow tie. It was a special promotion when their normal suit or tux price was $375, but they offered a suit or tux with a made-to-measure shirt and tie included in the promotion. It was a fantastic deal and I couldn't pass it up.

Do you remember the month you got it in? My friend recommended I buy in the next two weeks since it's when all the back to school sales are.
Currently the "Essential Black Tuxedo" is ~$450 (is it worth it to get the premium?).

I'll be shopping at other sites too, do you recommend any other medium to high caliber brands (or one I should stay away from)?

Outside of matching watch bands to your belt/shoes and keeping it simple and conservative, are there any other watch tips for interviews?

Outside of matching watch bands to your belt/shoes and keeping it simple and conservative, are there any other watch tips for interviews?

Just keep in mind that leather watch bands are more formal than metal bands. But it sounds like you've already got that down.

Just keep in mind that leather watch bands are more formal than metal bands. But it sounds like you've already got that down.

How tricky is it to hunt down a mahogany/burgundy watch band? I'm likely gonna wear those color shoes with a dark grey/navy suit.

I've read most of this thread, and have a couple questions.

First, here are the suits I have:
6AWbgIC.jpg
From reading the thread, I understand that peak lapels are a no-no for interviews (so I'm not going to wear the dark gray/light charcoal suit), but in what other circumstances could I wear it?
Also, the dark navy (bleh, it almost looks black - and didn't look like this when I bought it :p) suit has micro stripes. Would this be passable at an interview?

Here's some of the other things I'll be wearing:
Shirts
NgNTHNq.jpg

Shoes
EdQNV1y.jpg

Belt
OJSpuis.png

Ties
xlvFPGP.jpg

These are the ties I have. Are any of these wearable (that red tie isn't THAT red in person) for an interview? Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

P.S. Help me @ridethecliche! You're my only hope!

Hey all! My fiance and I were lucky enough to get interviews at one of our top choice schools. He doesn't have an account but sorely needs better (NOT his black penny loafers...bleh) shoes to go with his navy suit. I was thinking about getting him some burgundy ones. He's a sucker for comfy shoes--and won't wear anything remotely uncomfortable or bad for his feet--and I obviously have no experience in this arena. Anyone know of any classic-looking, comfortable burgundy shoes to pair with a dark navy blue suit? I really like the look of the ones in the post above mine. Perhaps something that looks like that and is comfortable?

Hey all! My fiance and I were lucky enough to get interviews at one of our top choice schools. He doesn't have an account but sorely needs better (NOT his black penny loafers...bleh) shoes to go with his navy suit. I was thinking about getting him some burgundy ones. He's a sucker for comfy shoes--and won't wear anything remotely uncomfortable or bad for his feet--and I obviously have no experience in this arena. Anyone know of any classic-looking, comfortable burgundy shoes to pair with a dark navy blue suit? I really like the look of the ones in the post above mine. Perhaps something that looks like that and is comfortable?

They're Allen Edmonds Park Avenues. They're on sale for ~257 right now on Amazon (normal price is around 385). Really nice shoe, but they'll probably be somewhat uncomfortable until he breaks them in.

They'll last forever, though.

These are the ties I have. Are any of these wearable (that red tie isn't THAT red in person) for an interview? Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

P.S. Help me @ridethecliche! You're my only hope!

For what it's worth, I had a tie very similar to the tie on the far right that I wore at several interviews. There were also several other guys with different variations of it (a little lighter, darker, slightly different pattern, etc). I'm not sure if it being somewhat popular is a good thing for you or not, but I think it's passable for an interview.

i've never bought from them but they seem to be getting ok reviews
https://www.combatgent.com/tuxedos

I'd be careful about combatant gentleman. They seem to have some QC issues and their customer service for returns/exchanges and the like are very subpar to say the least. Some dissatisfied customers had to make a big stink on /r/mfa in order to get their problems noticed by one of the founders. The price is nice though.

They're Allen Edmonds Park Avenues. They're on sale for ~257 right now on Amazon (normal price is around 385). Really nice shoe, but they'll probably be somewhat uncomfortable until he breaks them in.

They'll last forever, though.

@nih15hopeful As an addendum, they last forever only if you take care of them properly of course. Also, check out the Allen Edmonds shoe bank. You can occasionally get seconds for pretty cheap compared to MSRP.