Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Except it's Jos Banks. Their "slim" fit is everyone else's baggy. Most of their suits are cut for the overweight middle aged office drone crowd.

Or yeah, that... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

It was not the price at all. Work wear doesn't have to be expensive.

As a matter of fact, I wore a cute shell from Target to the office on Friday.

The Express men's shirts are inappropriate for interview but we were making sport of them for lots of other reasons.
I have a white dress shirt from there, it doesn't seem to look much different from any other dress shirt. Are you specifically talking about the neon colored shirts?

Holy f*** express shirts are terrible.

They have that super gross "sheen" look to them. The purple one doubles down with black buttons.

They are also terrible quality.

You should not dry clean cotton dress shirts.

Brooks brothers non-iron slim fit dress shirts. End thread. Last years, low maintenance, professional.

Jo's Banks traveller line is a more budget friendly option, ditto Charles tyrwhitt (sp?)

I recently started upgrading to Ledbury, but understand if that's out of budget.
I checked out some of those brands' websites and noticed that a lot of the dress shirts have patterns. isn't solid colors considered more professional? i feel hella grown up shopping these brands. Also, are males wearing solid pink dress shirts a no no? and what about a blue shirt with white collar?
@gyngyn @Winged Scapula

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a white dress shirt from there, it doesn't seem to look much different from any other dress shirt. Are you specifically talking about the neon colored shirts?
While the bright color shirts are certainly the worst offenders, the issue that a lot of us have is that the fit is too close to the body and the fabric has a certain sheen to it that is more appropriate for the club then a board room.

Reactions: 2 users
While the bright color shirts are certainly the worst offenders, the issue that a lot of us have is that the fit is too close to the body and the fabric has a certain sheen to it that is more appropriate for the club then a board room.
Actually you are totally correct about the sheen if I remember correctly, I haven't worn that shirt in a long time. However, for those of us with a BMI of ~18, a "close fit" will still probably need tailoring.

I checked out some of those brands' websites and noticed that a lot of the dress shirts have patterns. isn't solid colors considered more professional? Also, are males wearing solid pink dress shirts a no no? and what about a blue shirt with white collar?
@gyngyn @Winged Scapula
A uniform solid white or pale blue is always a good choice.
Pale pink can be ok in warm months in the South for sophisticated dressers (not for a dabbler).

Reactions: 1 users
Provided I'm well groomed, everything is clean and fits well and is conservative, will the suit/shoes color/style really be deal breakers??

Maybe this has already been addressed elsewhere on this thread, but thoughts on tie clips? Are they okay or are they in the same group as handkerchiefs/pocket squares?

I have to second this, any thoughts?

non laced shoes or laced brogued? If you had to pick...

Maybe this has already been addressed elsewhere on this thread, but thoughts on tie clips? Are they okay or are they in the same group as handkerchiefs/pocket squares?
I have no preference on tie clips (as long as they are clean and simple).

blacktie.jpg
redtie.jpg

black or red tie?
I know the shirt sucks, ill buy a better white shirt
i know the sleeves are a bit too short, oh well
is this grey okay?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!
Maroon isn't too aggressive/forward?
Is the suit color okay?
Slip ons or brogues?
Maroon is always good (esp. pindots on maroon...). Bright red can be aggressive/political.
True navy or charcoal are always good.
Laces!

Alright, so looking at two outfits for interview season:
1) Navy suit, white button down, dark crimson pindot tie (3").
2) Charcoal suit, white/light blue button down, navy tie w/very subtle pattern.

Both with black derby's, very light broguing. Making final purchases, want to make sure this is all good. I'm going for as conservative as possible.

A uniform solid white or pale blue is always a good choice.
Pale pink can be ok in warm months in the South for sophisticated dressers (not for a dabbler).
dabbler as in amateur fashion model like me? lol

is it ok to wear a backpack to an interview or do you have to have a briefcase?

Reactions: 1 user
Shaggy hair... Planning to cut it. What if I don't?

Are any of these ties a no go for interviews?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I've been told that light grey suits are very formal and for "occasions", but if I get an interview I will damn well consider that an occasion.

I also have a dark charcoal and navy suit however. I was planning to play it safe and go with the navy/charcoal, but is light grey appropriate for a medical school interview?

@Winged Scapula Can you post some pictures of ties you would consider "not ugly?" Apparently this is a thing because all ties look the same to me lol unless they're super out of the norm like skinny ties or cotton ties.

@Winged Scapula Can you post some pictures of ties you would consider "not ugly?" Apparently this is a thing because all ties look the same to me lol unless they're super out of the norm like skinny ties or cotton ties.
22853_1.jpg

or

34569_1.jpg

I don't think they are all ugly, and many are safe. In the first photo, 1 and 4 are fine and 3 is not horrible. The second photo go with 2 and 3. In the third photo, only 2 is not bad. None of those are going to be so horrible that you stand out in a bad way.

i wish these adcoms could take me shopping and school me on clothes

Is this style really the norm for what's considered a good looking tie these days in the professional world? Polka dots? My sense of style must be seriously outdated lol. But I do concur that 90% of the ties the other guy posted were just horrendous. I'm a fan of the Michael Kors ties at Macy's. I have 6-8 myself and after coupons they run like $45 each.

Edit: my interview tie: http://m.macys.com/shop/product/michael-michael-kors-verona-pick-solid-tiles-tie?ID=2392140

its not so much "stylish" as conservative.

The most formal is solid color, that's too much (more for weddings etc). adding pin dots or stripes makes it slightly less formal but still appropriate for business settings. Big polka dots would probably be the least formal and that would be more like everyday office wear.

also don't pay 65 bucks for a tie unless its drakes or something. Just buy a 18 dollar tie from thetiebar.com

Well to be fair I was looking at them on my phone. When looking at them closer I still think the vast majority are either inappropriate or ugly.

As stated above, solid ties are too formal and too bland.

Some are too shiny (like the purple stripe).

Some colors are too unappealing (the rust colored).

Some patterns are garish (plaids, the B&W stripe).

A small pindot or geometrical pattern in a color that coordinates with the rest of the outfit is fine.

I've been told that light grey suits are very formal and for "occasions", but if I get an interview I will damn well consider that an occasion.

I also have a dark charcoal and navy suit however. I was planning to play it safe and go with the navy/charcoal, but is light grey appropriate for a medical school interview?
Light grey is lovely but in the right setting. I think it would work best in the springtime in a warmer climate.

Well to be fair I was looking at them on my phone. When looking at them closer I still think the vast majority are either inappropriate or ugly.

As stated above, solid ties are too formal and too bland.

Some are too shiny (like the purple stripe).

Some colors are too unappealing (the rust colored).

Some patterns are garish (plaids, the B&W stripe).

A small pindot or geometrical pattern in a color that coordinates with the rest of the outfit is fine.

I appreciate the tips! Gives me a good excuse to go shopping!

EDIT: Hope this gives folks here a good primer on what to avoid!

Last edited:
Where to buy suit in New England area, I like short coats. Trying to stay under 300, any suggestions

What do yall think about a tie like this:
zac-skinny-tie.jpg

I am a skinny dude and fatter ties make me look like a kid trying to play grown up (at least in my opinion).

I'd say its still a bit too 'trendy' tbh...

Too skinny. The widest part of your tie should be the same width as your suit's lapel. No way you are going to wear a suit with such a thin lapel to an interview.

What do yall think about a tie like this:
zac-skinny-tie.jpg

I am a skinny dude and fatter ties make me look like a kid trying to play grown up (at least in my opinion).

Check out tiebar.com they have 3-4 widths for each pattern. You could pick a medium one?

Edit: I read that 2.5in is skinny, 3 is medium

After pulling ridiculous over-time and lots of saving, I have a decent amount of money to dish out on a professional suit for med school interview. I have a couple of suit already on hand but honestly, after reading this thread, I'm starting to think they're not up to par. So...I was looking at Indochino and was thinking along the line of dark navy suit, white shirt and platinum tie with dark brown shoes and belt. What do you folks suggest?

Suit: http://www.indochino.com/product/premium-navy-suit
Shirt: http://www.indochino.com/product/white-wrinklefree-shirt
Tie: https://www.thetiebar.com/product/31042
Shoes: http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/en_US/men/shoes/dress-shoes/c/221/LADSON/p/33937641-22
Belt: http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/en_US/accessories/men's/belts/c/327/EDIRESA/p/37489831-24#

If anyone has any suggestions for places to shop for those of us who are super thin and tiny, please let me know lol.

Edit: I think I might look into those BB shirts...

Just got a pair of Carlyle Allen Edmonds in the Labor Day 2nds sale. Look for deals this Labor Day weekend.

Too skinny. The widest part of your tie should be the same width as your suit's lapel. No way you are going to wear a suit with such a thin lapel to an interview.
Perhaps it isn't as skinny as that photo, here is an actual picture of one of the ties I was considering:

NbaCys1.jpg

That doesn't look that bad; however, your knot is too thin... At least it seems so at this angle

Try a half Windsor.
Ok this was actually an awesome piece of advice, I think it looks much better:

duT5G8I.jpg

(this photo is just for the tie, please don't critique the shirt or the pajama bottoms :rolleyes:)

Also how do I make the image smaller its way too large.

Last edited: