Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For a 2 day interview (MD/PhD) is it alright to wear the same outfit both days? Or should I at least change the tie?

Members don't see this ad.

If you can take a white shirt and light blue shirt along with different ties nobody will notice it is the same suit.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What do y'all think of this shirt (which I will of course iron) and tie? too busy and casual? my camera added a weird reddish tone so don't get too hung up on the colors--suit is navy, shirt is a very light blue. Thanks!

That looks great! It looks like the shirt is a slight microcheck? Id go plain colors but I doubt it makes a difference, just my preference. If I had to nitpick, I'd say find another slightly brighter tie that maybe stands out a bit more so it's not navy on navy, but either way I think you'll be good with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everybody how weird am I going to look if I bring a briefcase to my interview? I normally have a backpack but obviously that won't work with a suit...

Poor fabrics, inconsistent fit, have hooked people on the illusion that "custom" magically means better

Conversely, for the odd-proportioned, Indochino and BlackLapel have been a godsend for inexpensive, well-fitting suits. The super 100s wool isn't terrible, fit has been consistent for me, and - more importantly - there are things I can control that make enormous differences in how the suit fits/drapes.

Softer shoulders, lower button stance, higher armholes, correct-width sleeves, pants that fit my waist, behind, and thighs without looking like hammer pants, etc.

I have a ~12 inch drop, so nothing fits well off-the-rack, and the results of trying to tailor OTR suits to my body are an abomination.

That said, I agree that for the majority of people, a BB/SS suit with some minor alterations will be preferable. For me, however, I am willing to take a small hit in fabric/craftsmanship for a near-perfect fit (at least until I can afford better quality MTM). All the fine detailing and superior fabrics won't mean anything if it looks like I borrowed my father's suit.

Most ties in a yellow & blue combo would be interview appropriate --

How about something like this with a navy suit(ignore the pocket square)?

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1441559300.077234.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
But for real, one of the docs I work with told me to bring a professional looking bag. Is that not normal?

But for real, one of the docs I work with told me to bring a professional looking bag. Is that not normal?
Well a professional looking bag (which BTW, the last one you posted is the best) is much better than a backpack.

But I fail to see what you will be carrying to the interview(s) that you need a bag for.

Well a professional looking bag (which BTW, the last one you posted is the best) is much better than a backpack.

But I fail to see what you will be carrying to the interview(s) that you need a bag for.
I'm sure there are things that I will need when I fly half way across the country and have to check out of my hotel before the interview. This is not to say I would carry stuff around all day. I hear that most schools have places to put bags, coats, and etc.

I'm sure there are things that I will need when I fly half way across the country and have to check out of my hotel before the interview. This is not to say I would carry stuff around all day. I hear that most schools have places to put bags, coats, and etc.
You really don't need a bag. Put your stuff in your luggage. We'll watch it for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Like @gyngyn says, just put it in your luggage and the PC will mind it for you. You really don't need anything with you.

Does your luggage matter? Like, can you just bring a normal duffel bag, or do you have to have some fancy, professional-looking luggage?

So you take your luggage to the interview?
Not necessarily but there are some applicants who want to check out of their hotel and go straight to the airport from the interview, so they bring their luggage along. Its a question we get every year. Otherwise, if you have time you can leave your luggage at the hotel and go back and get it.

Does your luggage matter? Like, can you just bring a normal duffel bag, or do you have to have some fancy, professional-looking luggage?
No one is going to be checking if you have a Tumi bag or a ripped Broncos duffel. Things stay in better shape with less wrinkles however, in a real suitcase so you may consider getting one at some point in your (adult) life.

Alright so, I bought this blue/navy suit (which is a steal with Coupon code btw) and I was wondering which color shoes would fit better.

2544415_fpx.tif

or
2433378_fpx.tif

I really want to go with the lighter color brown. Im trying to aim for a cognac color for my belt, shoes, and watch strap. I really dislike the bland dark brown shoes. Would I be able to get away with wearing light brown?

I'm a huge fan of the navy/walnut combo, but not for interviews. I would stick with a brown or burgundy shoe. You can still get a pair of lighter brown (walnut, cognac, whatever) shoes to wear on other occasions, but I wouldn't wear them to the interview.

A medical school (or residency) interview is not the time to show off your trendy or flashy style (and yes, some people will view that color combo as one or both). You will look great (assuming your suit fits reasonably well and your tie/shirt are ok) with a dark brown/burgundy pair of shoes (black will do fine as well, although I prefer the others) - and more importantly, you will look appropriate.

Edit: Just looked at the suit link. The color is a bright-ish blue (it's actually described as "bright blue"), which is not ideal for an interview, but can work in a pinch - presuming you tone down everything else in your wardrobe. This means picking very conservative colors for the shoes, belt, shirt, and tie.

The easy and cheap way to get a pair of good looking interview shoes when you're on a budget is to go to ebay and look for a used pair of Johnston & Murphy Meltons.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=johnston+murphy+melton&_sacat=0

They're usually made in burgundy and black, both of which would be a good choice for you here.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a huge fan of the navy/walnut combo, but not for interviews. I would stick with a brown or burgundy shoe. You can still get a pair of lighter brown (walnut, cognac, whatever) shoes to wear on other occasions, but I wouldn't wear them to the interview.

A medical school (or residency) interview is not the time to show off your trendy or flashy style (and yes, some people will view that color combo as one or both). You will look great (assuming your suit fits reasonably well and your tie/shirt are ok) with a dark brown/burgundy pair of shoes (black will do fine as well, although I prefer the others) - and more importantly, you will look appropriate.

Edit: Just looked at the suit link. The color is a bright-ish blue (it's actually described as "bright blue"), which is not ideal for an interview, but can work in a pinch - presuming you tone down everything else in your wardrobe. This means picking very conservative colors for the shoes, belt, shirt, and tie.

The easy and cheap way to get a pair of good looking interview shoes when you're on a budget is to go to ebay and look for a used pair of Johnston & Murphy Meltons.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=johnston+murphy+melton&_sacat=0

They're usually made in burgundy and black, both of which would be a good choice for you here.

Yeah I was afraid of just that, I think the older adcoms would dislike the trendy look. Thanks for the info

And the suit, really isnt bright blue even though it says it is. Its just a regular navy. But it was had a great fit, was cheap, and good quality so I bought it. (Recommend to anyone here who is a broke college student)

Conversely, for the odd-proportioned, Indochino and BlackLapel have been a godsend for inexpensive, well-fitting suits. The super 100s wool isn't terrible, fit has been consistent for me, and - more importantly - there are things I can control that make enormous differences in how the suit fits/drapes.

Softer shoulders, lower button stance, higher armholes, correct-width sleeves, pants that fit my waist, behind, and thighs without looking like hammer pants, etc.

I have a ~12 inch drop, so nothing fits well off-the-rack, and the results of trying to tailor OTR suits to my body are an abomination.

That said, I agree that for the majority of people, a BB/SS suit with some minor alterations will be preferable. For me, however, I am willing to take a small hit in fabric/craftsmanship for a near-perfect fit (at least until I can afford better quality MTM). All the fine detailing and superior fabrics won't mean anything if it looks like I borrowed my father's suit.

Would you recommend this to someone who is relatively skinny? Like a 34 shoulder and a 27/28 waist.

Hey guys,

I went ahead and bought my suit and shoes. However, I am having trouble deciding whether it needs to be tailored at all. Is there by any chance anyone here knowledgeable on how a suit should fit could provide some personal advice? I took some pictures and am hoping to pm someone to see if the suit needs tailoring. Also, maybe if a shirt and tie combination could be suggested as well? Lastly, I am having trouble deciding whether my shoes are too casual, I bought them on a whim since they were on sale. Any help would be appreciated, please and thank you

Not just the older ones; the cordovan/merlot looks better for this occasion.

Agreed. I would dislike the look for the interview (but, as stated above, I generally like it for a more casual atmosphere). And I'm in my early 30s.

Would these go well with a navy suit? / Are they formal enough? Thanks for any feedback!

20150907_120724.jpg
20150907_120922.jpg

But @gyngyn said it was ok. A tie bar is meant cover your buttons and prevent your tie from moving. Even with a suit jacket, sometimes the tie moves out of place and exposes the buttons, so I'm wearing a tie bar. Anyone else care to comment on this?
If it doesn't look ridiculous/silly, who the hell would reject someone because of a tie bar???

Reactions: 2 users
But @gyngyn said it was ok. A tie bar is meant cover your buttons and prevent your tie from moving. Even with a suit jacket, sometimes the tie moves out of place and exposes the buttons, so I'm wearing a tie bar. Anyone else care to comment on this?
I don't object to them wholesale but they can easily cross over into the gaudy pinky ring sort of look.

Why not use some double-sided fashion tape which will keep the tie adherent over your buttons?

Hey all. So after reading through a lot of this thread I'm starting to get nervous about my shoe choice. I know that these probably aren't the best pick after reading through here. But are they at least acceptable? Or do I need to go out and buy new shoes? Advice @gyngyn @Winged Scapula ?

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1441683715.136358.jpg

Would love some advice on these ties as well. I've been told their are good choices. But now I'm unsure. Suit is classic navy by the way.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1441684297.720687.jpg

Last edited:
The former! Generally the consensus here is that brogue style shoes are far too informal for a medical school interview setting.

Yup. I was afraid of that. Haha. Wish I would have checked here first before I bought them! They'll have to do for my first interview since its on Friday. But I'll have to get some new ones for my other interviews. Thanks!