Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all!
Interview on tuesday and I believe I have most of the things together, tailored charcoal grey suit, black belt and black dress shoes, black tie, tailored white dress shirt etc.
I was just wondering about one last piece... What kind of thing would you carry things with (and do you even do that)? A briefcase? Satchel? Leather portfolio? I think there will be some downtime so I would like the chance to do some work/ read during that time.

Hi all!
Interview on tuesday and I believe I have most of the things together, tailored charcoal grey suit, black belt and black dress shoes, black tie, tailored white dress shirt etc.
I was just wondering about one last piece... What kind of thing would you carry things with (and do you even do that)? A briefcase? Satchel? Leather portfolio? I think there will be some downtime so I would like the chance to do some work/ read during that time.

I bought a leather/canvas mix messenger bag. Simple clean look, in between lawyer and bike messenger.

This one actually:
613Iqzqj8%2BL._SL1018_.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!

I took a small note book that fit in my inside suit pocket and a pen. However, I never even touched them. I really don't think you need to take anything, especially a briefcase or any sort of carrying back. Maybe a pad folio just in case. MAYBE. but you probably won't use it.

I had barely any down time. Maybe 20 minutes total. And if you do, I wouldn't spend it working or reading. I would interact with the other interviewees, medical students, staff, and administration. Isolating yourself to work or read would seem odd to me as an adcom. Now if you're talking pre/post interview that's a different story obviously. But yeah, Just my two cents.

Hope it goes well! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all!

Black tie? I know the word 'formal' has been tossed around, but not that formal. You'll want some color --

Reactions: 2 users
I took a small note book that fit in my inside suit pocket and a pen. However, I never even touched them. I really don't think you need to take anything, especially a briefcase or any sort of carrying back. Maybe a pad folio just in case. MAYBE. but you probably won't use it.

I had barely any down time. Maybe 20 minutes total. And if you do, I wouldn't spend it working or reading. I would interact with the other interviewees, medical students, staff, and administration. Isolating yourself to work or read would seem odd to me as an adcom. Now if you're talking pre/post interview that's a different story obviously. But yeah, Just my two cents.

Hope it goes well! Good luck!

The email actually said to bring some work as there would be downtime, so I was basing it off of that. Of course, I would prefer to be engaged with whatever material is presented, but I always like a backup.

Black tie? I know the word 'formal' has been tossed around, but not that formal. You'll want some color --

And it's a black tie with a white stripe design and other bits of white (really hard to describe, might have to rummage into my dresser). I had a couple of people approve it first.

Opinions? These two suits are nearly identical in style its just the color that is slightly different. Do they look OK to wear with a white shirt, black shoes/belt, and maybe a blue tie? Is one suit better/worse then the other? Thanks in advance!!

@DokterMom @gyngyn

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 131
Opinions? These two suits are nearly identical in style its just the color that is slightly different. Do they look OK to wear with a white shirt, black shoes/belt, and maybe a blue tie? Is one suit better/worse then the other? Thanks in advance!!

@DokterMom @gyngyn
Both are excellent.

Can someone give me feedback on what tie I might bring? I'll be wearing the suit in the background with a white dress shirt. All of them except the blue and gold stripe have a sheen to them. Most of them admittedly belong to my dad.

I'm open to getting another one if none of these are appropriate but none of the stores I've been to have very diverse selections.

Also, I am East Asian if that changes anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone give me feedback on what tie I might bring? I'll be wearing the suit in the background with a white dress shirt. All of them except the blue and gold stripe have a sheen to them. Most of them admittedly belong to my dad.

I'm open to getting another one if none of these are appropriate but none of the stores I've been to have very diverse selections.

Also, I am East Asian if that changes anything.

With that grayish suit I vote the gold tie with white shirt. Blue works. And dang it I have been looking for a tie that shade of purple forever lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
With that grayish suit I vote the gold tie with white shirt. Blue works. And dang it I have been looking for a tie that shade of purple forever lol.
So the blue-gold stripe and the solid blue? I'm leaning more towards the solid blue because the blue gold stripe is much more old fashioned tie that is wider than my lapel but it isn't shown very well. @gyngyn @DokterMom ?

My vote is anything but the skinny blue (far left) and lavender. Any of the rest are fine.

So the blue-gold stripe and the solid blue? I'm leaning more towards the solid blue because the blue gold stripe is much more old fashioned tie that is wider than my lapel but it isn't shown very well. @gyngyn @DokterMom ?

DEF do not wear that blue gold one. purple gold and solid blue with white shirt and u should look good.

Lol I was broke as a joke when I applied and interviewed. I literally wore suit clothes I purchased from a thrift store. The best I could find that fit was a pair of khaki slacks and a "psychology professor blazer with the elbow patches." Still got 2 accepts. Lol

DEF do not wear that blue gold one. purple gold and solid blue with white shirt and u should look good.

I know the blue and gold stripe is somewhat wide and therefore old-fashioned, but the pattern is very traditional, so also very appropriate.

So I already ordered this navy tie to go with my charcoal suit and white shirt, but now reading this it seems that solid might not be the best choice?
https://www.thetiebar.com/product/34436

Should I exchange it for something else or is it fine?

Nothing wrong with a solid color, provided it's in a very nice fabric that isn't satin. (aka No Trump ties) A dark navy with a white shirt and dark suit (blue or grey) is a very somber and formal look. For a funeral, it's perfect. For your med school interview, it's funereal. A slightly brighter royal blue or burgundy would add much more visual interest.

Lol I was broke as a joke when I applied and interviewed. I literally wore suit clothes I purchased from a thrift store. The best I could find that fit was a pair of khaki slacks and a "psychology professor blazer with the elbow patches." Still got 2 accepts. Lol

Glad it worked out for you. If you're that broke, your best bet will be a suit from either a thrift store or eBay. You can get a really nice suit on eBay for $50.

Nothing wrong with a solid color, provided it's in a very nice fabric that isn't satin. (aka No Trump ties) A dark navy with a white shirt and dark suit (blue or grey) is a very somber and formal look. For a funeral, it's perfect. For your med school interview, it's funereal. A slightly brighter royal blue or burgundy would add much more visual interest.
Ok so this one is coming in the mail, and I guess it's a little too formal since it's solid and dark.
https://www.thetiebar.com/product/34436

Between these two which one would you recommend?
https://www.thetiebar.com/product/35505
https://www.thetiebar.com/product/22850sk
I'm leaning towards the pindot since it would be less formal, and more different from the one I already ordered that i'll keep for more formal occasions

Also I thought red/burgundy are not good colors for interviews.

Fire engine red is not considered good. Burgundy and wine are lovely and very traditional choices.

If you're willing to spend an hour at a suburban strip mall, Steinmart, Marshall's or TV Max will have a nice selection of ties that you can see in person for much better prices. Other than convenience, I have yet to see the appeal of Tie Bar. Those ties are bland, boring, and really, kind of 'meh'

tie.jpg

Are any of these ties ok with a navy suit and white or light blue shirt? The pin dot tie that looks black in the picture is a dark purple/brown "wine" color.

If not, what kind of tie would you suggest?

PSA: if anyone is still looking to buy quality dress shirts, charles tyrwhitt is having a 3 for $99 sale if your budget allows. after googling around men's fashion site, these shirts seem to be high quality and long lasting. southernsurgeon recommended this brand

Hi all,

I have a suit that is very well fitted but it is black with visible navy pinstripes and also (nearly invisible) grey pinstripes. Would this reflect negatively on me or would it be alright? Attached:

2015-09-26 12.33.55.jpg

Hi all,

I have a suit that is very well fitted but it is black with visible navy pinstripes and also (nearly invisible) grey pinstripes. Would this reflect negatively on me or would it be alright? Attached:

View attachment 196548
Personally not a fan of pinstripes idk what u mean by blue stripes. I would go with white shirt black shoes and solid colored tie/ not shiny. Maybe a faded purple one

Evidently, when wearing a 2 button suit with only the top buttoned, my belt can be seen a little... is this okay? or should I fasten the bottom button?

Evidently, when wearing a 2 button suit with only the top buttoned, my belt can be seen a little... is this okay? or should I fasten the bottom button?

That's fine.

And hell no. Don't ever button the bottom button.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a suit that is very well fitted but it is black with visible navy pinstripes and also (nearly invisible) grey pinstripes.
One benefit of the stripes is that it won't look black from a distance. This is where you will read comments about getting a different suit, etc. That suit looks fine. If it is tailored for you, it will do fine. Style everything else very conservatively and you will be okay. Pinstripes need to be muted and don't call attention to the stripes with shiny ties or unusual colored shirts.

So far, I have the following recommendations given what we have seen this cycle:
Wear a jacket that matches your trousers (in other words, a suit).
At least wear a jacket!
Wear a necktie (not a bow or bolo tie).
Do not pander by wearing a tie with the school's colors.
No thick rubber soles.
No stubble.
Do not wear a shirt in a color not found in nature.
If you bite your nails, get them groomed to reduce the risk of doing it in public.
Don't pick at your face or twirl your hair.
Don't chew gum. If you must chew gum, don't stick it under the table when the admissions dean arrives.
Unless you are lapsing into a diabetic coma, do not munch on food you brought while the admissions dean is talking.

Reactions: 6 users
Really wish the bow tie thing wasn't a rule. When I am an attending I am intending to rock one at least once a week.

I swear you make these things up!!!

Literally laughing out loud right now.
:rofl:

So far, I have the following recommendations given what we have seen this cycle:
Wear a jacket that matches your trousers (in other words, a suit).
At least wear a jacket!
Wear a necktie (not a bow or bolo tie).
Do not pander by wearing a tie with the school's colors.
No thick rubber soles.
No stubble.
Do not wear a shirt in a color not found in nature.
If you bite your nails, get them groomed to reduce the risk of doing it in public.
Don't pick at your face or twirl your hair.
Don't chew gum. If you must chew gum, don't stick it under the table when the admissions dean arrives.
Unless you are lapsing into a diabetic coma, do not munch on food you brought while the admissions dean is talking.

What do you all recommend for interviews where it is raining? Im guessing just a suit wouldn't only be advised? Would a peacoat over the suit be alright?

I would imagine a topcoat would be appropriate.

What do you all recommend for interviews where it is raining? Im guessing just a suit wouldn't only be advised? Would a peacoat over the suit be alright?
I have an umbrella? Didn't really think about it.

I have an umbrella? Didn't really think about it.

Wow in hindsight that was a really dumb question huh? Being from Seattle its sort of against my religion to use an umbrella but I guess thats the best choice.. hahaha Im dumb

Wow in hindsight that was a really dumb question huh? Being from Seattle its sort of against my religion to use an umbrella but I guess thats the best choice.. hahaha Im dumb

I didn't own an umbrella until about 6 months ago. Couldn't use them in uniform, so it never occurred to me to ever use them.

Then I eventually got tired of having to walk to class through torrential downpours and having to sit through lecture completely drenched, lol.

Is windowpane really off limits? I'm not talking about very pronounced, thick boxes. More like the thinner, less noticeable designs.

I was so confused for a second when I read this since I have only ever lurked!