Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do not pander by wearing a tie with the school's colors.

Too late. But damn if I don't look sharp.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thoughts on cuff-links?
For a navy blue suit... it the general consciousness to wear NOT black shoes and wear brown/walnut colored shoes?

Thoughts on cuff-links?
For a navy blue suit... it the general consciousness to wear NOT black shoes and wear brown/walnut colored shoes?

Cuff-links are not recommended for medical school interviews.

You'll be fine wearing black with navy. I personally prefer wearing dark brown shoes (lighter brown colors are more informal), though.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thank you!
Can anyone recommend some nice interview watches?

Hi, so the school that I am about to interview at highly recommends comfy shoes. Should I wear my leather but much more comfortable shoes, or my straight dress shoes?

Hi, so the school that I am about to interview at highly recommends comfy shoes. Should I wear my leather but much more comfortable shoes, or my straight dress shoes?
Unless you honestly physically cannot stand the pain associated with your dress shoes those are what you should wear (and if that's the case, you need to buy new dress shoes.)

So this seems a bit anal... but the color of one's socks do they need to match the shoes/belt? Or can black socks be worn regardless of the colors of the other articles of clothing?

So this seems a bit anal... but the color of one's socks do they need to match the shoes/belt? Or can black socks be worn regardless of the colors of the other articles of clothing?

The color of your socks should definitely not match your shoes or belt if they are any shade of brown. If they are black, it is fine to wear black socks as well. To be very safe and conservative, your socks should match your trousers.

Thanks!
Any thoughts on this tie with a navy blue suit and either a white shirt or light blue shirt?
Amazon product

For someone with a dark skin complexion (Indian) - do you think a white shirt or light blue shirt would be better?

Okay thank you!
Can anyone recommend some nice interview watches?

Do not BUY a watch for your interview. It is in no way necessary, cannot help you if it's appropriate, and can only hurt you if it's not.

For someone with a dark skin complexion (Indian) - do you think a white shirt or light blue shirt would be better?

Either is fine, but light blue may be better. If you're very dark-complected, a round-neck T-shirt under your shirt will give you a more professional look as some shirt fabrics tend to be a bit thin and won't look as 'crisp' without the under-layer - white particularly.

Last edited:
Do not BUY a watch for your interview. It is in no way necessary, canot help you if it's appropriate, and can only hurt you if it's not.

Either is fine, but light blue may be better. If you're very dark-complected, a round-neck T-shirt under your shirt will give you a more professional look as some shirt fabrics tend to be a bit thin and won't look as 'crisp' without the under-layer - white particularly.

White isn't a good undershirt color for people with dark complexions. Heather gray/light gray is better.

White isn't a good undershirt color for people with dark complexions. Heather gray/light gray is better.

I would disagree with that -- If you want the front of a white shirt to look really white, a white undershirt does that. But it does allow the portions of your skin that are not 'undershirted' to look slightly different. Perhaps the grey is better at that aspect?

Members don't see this ad :)
Too late. But damn if I don't look sharp.

If the school's colors are crimson, burgundy, gold, navy, medium blue then you'd be fine. If it's orange -- Aside from the pandering, there's a yuck factor. Just no other reason for an orange tie to exist.

It's certainly subtle ;)

I think you forgot the link.

Wait lol umm I can't tell if you're being sarcastic?
Is the tie okay?

@hexane19: At first I thought you were trolling, but then I hit reply/quote and saw that there's actually an Amazon link.
I just saw the blank post and was like ... :confused: then I realized adblock stopped the image/link from showing.

@DokterMom: @medic86: @GuyWhoDoesStuff
He meant to show this tie: http://goo.gl/d3XIZ4

Last edited:
@hexane19: At first I thought you were trolling, but then I hit reply/quote and saw that there's actually an Amazon link.
I just saw the blank post and was like ... :confused: then I realized adblock stopped the image/link from showing.

@DokterMom: @medic86: @GuyWhoDoesStuff
He meant to show this tie: http://goo.gl/d3XIZ4

THAT tie is fine! ;) Yeah, I was being sarcastic with the 'subtle' comment because nothing was showing up. So that tie with a light blue shirt -- excellent combination.

It's definitely a vibrant tie--a bit too contrasting with itself for my taste, but acceptable with a light blue shirt as DokterMom pointed out.

Also, make sure that you do not wear the pocket square or the cufflinks it comes with should you decide to buy this tie.

Reactions: 2 users
The color is too casual. Grey or navy are best.

A polyester blend will tend to pull and/or shine. You want wool.

Flap pockets are also more casual.

I think you could find something nicer in the same price range if you look for secondhand suits.

All right, then I'll try to return it. Would something like this: http://goo.gl/z5PbgV work? I have a light blue dress shirt and dark brown loafers. Also, I thought all suits had flap pockets. The loafers are pretty dressy looking to me and have squared toes.

Last edited:
All right, then I'll try to return it. Would something like this: http://goo.gl/z5PbgV work? I have a light blue dress shirt and dark brown loafers. Also, I thought all suits had flap pockets. The loafers are pretty dressy looking to me and have squared toes.
Yes that suit is better. Make sure it's fitted well to you. MW is not known for their fit perfection (I saved a picture from her recent wedding I went to where the grooms men were fitted there and it was preposterous how poorly all of their suits fit. I wish I could find that picture).

The welt pocket is the nicest and more formal.

Brown square toed loafers are too casual (not to mention that in the minds of many of us, square toed shoes are horribly ugly and unfashionable. Loafers are what your uncle Morrie wears on the lanai in Boca while drinking G&Ts). Black laced shoes are to be worn with a grey suit; the more fashion savvy can do dark brown laced (not loafers) shoes with grey.

Flap pockets are pretty standard for suits. The only piece I own that has jetted pockets is my tuxedo.

I would not make this a point of concern, particularly at the price point he is at.

Agree with the other points. Loafers should pretty much never be worn with a suit. Square toed anything should pretty much never be worn.

And if you have to ask if brown is ok with a grey/charcoal suit, you should stick to black in the first place.

Flap pockets are pretty standard for suits. The only piece I own that has jetted pockets is my tuxedo.

I would not make this a point of concern, particularly at the price point he is at.

Agree with the other points. Loafers should pretty much never be worn with a suit. Square toed anything should pretty much never be worn.

And if you have to ask if brown is ok with a grey/charcoal suit, you should stick to black in the first place.
Agreed - I didn't mean to make the flap pockets a point of contention just a comment that they're not as nice as the welted ones in my opinion.

Just wanted to check in and ask if I'm crazy for thinking that black is too formal for interviews? I thought that was the general attitude but I'm not sure if that's changed or not. At my first MD/PhD interview there were 11 guys, iirc 8 or 9 wearing black suits and white shirts, several also wearing black ties. I went gray suit with a light blue shirt and a darker blue tie.

Oh, and on the subject of watches that seemed to have popped up earlier- everyone had one. I wouldn't go out of your way to buy a really fancy one, but if you're spending a bunch of money on clothes and you don't have a watch, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up something for like 40 bucks. Doesn't have to be real fancy or anything, but it can definitely help tie your look together.

Can anyone post some examples of good ties to use?

If you scroll through earlier pages here I'm sure some good examples will surface.

As a guideline, subtlety and simplicity are your friends. Excessive contrast (within the tie's colors/patterns) are not (a polka dot or striped pattern CAN work if done with subtlety... as in small wide-spread dots or like a 30:70 stripe to tie ratio--avoid plaid/checked designs). Also don't get anything excessively shiny. Look for 100% silk. Don't get a tie clip.

As for color, earth tones (pale yellow, forest green, navy to grey-blue, dark red, etc all work). I prefer solid color ties with some texture to contrast the suit's.

Feel free to find some in your price range and show us!

Loafers are what your uncle Morrie wears on the lanai in Boca while drinking G&Ts
:laugh:

Just wanted to check in and ask if I'm crazy for thinking that black is too formal for interviews? I thought that was the general attitude but I'm not sure if that's changed or not. At my first MD/PhD interview there were 11 guys, iirc 8 or 9 wearing black suits and white shirts, several also wearing black ties. I went gray suit with a light blue shirt and a darker blue tie.

Yeah, I find them a bit too formal, but they're acceptable.

On my trail so far, it's usually the younger, still-in-school, applicants that wore, generally, ill-fitting black suits. Your combination sounds pleasant.

Oh, and on the subject of watches that seemed to have popped up earlier- everyone had one. I wouldn't go out of your way to buy a really fancy one, but if you're spending a bunch of money on clothes and you don't have a watch, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up something for like 40 bucks. Doesn't have to be real fancy or anything, but it can definitely help tie your look together.

I personally didn't wear one, but yeah, most people had one. I feel like your jacket/shirt will cover it in most situations anyways (unless it's unfashionably large).

I think matching the band (for those leather band classic-style watches) with your belt/shoes is definitely a plus.

Last edited:

Black is typically not appropriate for interviews: charcoal or navy are best.

Yes, you will see other candidates wearing black suits but that's because they don't know any better, or they're advised by someone who doesn't know any better, or they figure they will wear the suit they bought 4 years ago for grandpa's funeral and they will use it for the interview.

Your choice sounds perfectly lovely.

Would a cheap polyester suit be looked down upon? $200 can be a pretty big investment for people with a low income.

Would a cheap polyester suit be looked down upon? $200 can be a pretty big investment for people with a low income.

You can get a cheap wool suit in the low 100s (or less). Just get it tailored, and it'll look fine.

Edit: I accidentally said 1000s originally. Typo fixed.

Last edited:

True, but it's a worthwhile investment, especially since those cheap polyester suits won't last passed a few wears.

If you're really strapped/feeling lucky, you could do a sweep of some thrift stores and or your local Goodwill. It's surprising how many gems are out there priced well below their worth. Just make sure you do some reading on fit/materials (wool, too long at the jacket sleeve is easily tailored, too short is not etc).

You can get a cheap wool suit in the low 100s (or less). Just get it tailored, and it'll look fine.

Edit: I accidentally said 1000s originally. Typo fixed.

If I had $200 and three weeks, I would do this:
  • If you have a suit jacket or sports coat that fits you reasonably well, lay it flat on your bed and measure it across the shoulders, seam to seam, chest (right below the pits), sleeve length and back center length from right below the collar.
  • If you don't have a jacket of your own, ask a similar-sized friend if you can try on his and measure it. Make adjustments to the measurements as needed.
  • If none of your friends have jackets, go to a retail store and try some suits on to find your size.
  • If you have some dressy slacks, measure them at the waist and inseam. If not, go to the retail store to find your size.
  • Find a tailor or alterations place - a good one. Explain that you are a poor college student and need a really good suit, and that you plan to buy second hand and have it tailored. Ask for any suggestions and/or brands to look for. If you own a jacket, bring it along to get pointers on fit and what measurements you should look for.
  • Shop ebay. Look for 'lightly worn' suits in solid navy or charcoal from Brooks Brothers, J Crew, Hickey Freeman or other well-known makers. (What are some other top brands guys? @ridethecliche ?)
  • You will need to spend between $50 and $150 for the suit. Spend on the LOWer end if your measurements are uncertain or the suit's measurements don't match yours closely. If you were able to find and measure a jacket that fits you well and the ebay suit jacket measurements are really close (within 1/2") then OK to spend a bit more on suit and a bit less on alterations.
  • EASY alterations - shorten sleeves or slacks, make slacks smaller at the waist, seat or thighs. HARD alterations - Shoulders and chest of the suit jacket. LOOK CLOSELY - Lengthening sleeves and/or slacks, and enlarging slacks at waist can range from easy to impossible depending on how much 'extra' fabric exists (seller should say) and on any particular details (like functioning buttonholes on jacket sleeves - a feature of some very expensive suits). In general, slacks with cuffs can be lengthened by removing the cuff.

If I had $200 and three weeks, I would do this:
  • Shop ebay. Look for 'lightly worn' suits in solid navy or charcoal from Brooks Brothers, J Crew, Hickey Freeman or other well-known makers. (What are some other top brands guys? @ridethecliche ?

Not sure about top brands, but here are some fairly common ones I see at department stores:

Calvin Klein, Bar III (macy's brand), Boss, Armani, Michael Kors, Ralph Lauren

Thanks for your help. I purchased a wool charcoal suit and am having it tailored. I also purchased dark brown shoes and a matching belt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
How do we feel about lightly patterned shirts?
0ed6e1639e1863cf1b4740e99db97d06.jpg

I like the tie, but I think it would go better with a solid colored light blue shirt that has a subtle texture in the weave vs explicit patterning. The checked pattern seems a bit casual for my taste and slightly conflicts with the tie.

Think about a shirt like this (w/ a bad :artist: paint edit included to show the tie):

WCMPYjA.jpg

Last edited:
Also... another pet peeve... the back of your collar should properly conceal the neck of your tie. You know when like 2cm of it sticks out in the back? Looks like you're a huge tool.

Bingo.

I'm thinking of a combination of navy suit with solid white shirt and solid gold tie. Maybe like this, w/o the pocket square or vest. Is gold too flashy? I have brown hair and eyes.
tumblr_njwqqpXvWT1row5hio1_1280.jpg