Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm thinking of a combination of navy suit with solid white shirt and solid gold tie. Maybe like this, w/o the pocket square or vest. Is gold too flashy? I have brown hair and eyes.
tumblr_njwqqpXvWT1row5hio1_1280.jpg

The suit should be a couple shades darker! I'm not a fan of solid ties, personally. I like to break it up with a little color somewhere in there, but I think that's just preference. I don't see anything wrong with it!

Members don't see this ad.

The suit should be a couple shades darker! I'm not a fan of solid ties, personally. I like to break it up with a little color somewhere in there, but I think that's just preference. I don't see anything wrong with it!

I think solid ties are fine as long as they're textured: something like grenadine.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree on the shading. It's a bit bright. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all, quick relevant question.

My interview is in a warm location for MSTP. I was thinking of going a beige suit (a gorgeous suit to be sure), but was worried it may be too informal. Only other suit option would be a jet black suit. I was going to pair it with a nice light blue french cuff herringbone shirt that is embroidered with my initials. Cufflinks wouldn't be over the top, just classy. Is that too much? I have worn this combo many times with great success (and have a dynamite tie to match), but not sure if it'd be kosher for the interview.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I think solid ties are fine as long as they're textured: something like grenadine.
I think you mean gabardine, the fabric, grenadine is that sickly sweet red stuff they make shirley temple drinks. I'm a seamstress, so I got a good laugh with this. Thanks for making my day.

Hello all, quick relevant question.

My interview is in a warm location for MSTP. I was thinking of going a beige suit (a gorgeous suit to be sure), but was worried it may be too informal. Only other suit option would be a jet black suit. I was going to pair it with a nice light blue french cuff herringbone shirt that is embroidered with my initials. Cufflinks wouldn't be over the top, just classy. Is that too much? I have worn this combo many times with great success (and have a dynamite tie to match), but not sure if it'd be kosher for the interview.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

You're teasing right? Otherwise, I'd have to hand you a daiquiri (edit: Make that a julep) and invite you to have a seat on the veranda while the butler fetches madame...

I think you mean gabardine, the fabric, grenadine is that sickly sweet red stuff they make shirley temple drinks. I'm a seamstress, so I got a good laugh with this. Thanks for making my day.

Actually, 'grenadine' is also a fabulous textured silk fabric used in expensive neckties. I've seen gabardine ties, but would NOT recommend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Actually, 'grenadine' is also a fabulous textured silk fabric used in expensive neckties. I've seen gabardine ties, but would NOT recommend.[/QUOTE]
Looked this up, I guess this a real thing. Never heard of it, but it is a bespoke type of thing. Not sure if in the budget for premeds.

Looked this up, I guess this a real thing. Never heard of it, but it is a bespoke type of thing. Not sure if in the budget for premeds.

They are not a common find stateside, unless you're shopping at specialty stores (few stores will have duplicates). Macys, nordstrom, etc won't carry them usually. They can be expensive yes, but if you're lucky you can snag one for under 100 usd. It's a definitely a tie you'll want to take care of and keep for a while.

I really love my forest green one. It's been my baby this whole cycle.

They are not a common find stateside, unless you're shopping at specialty stores (few stores will have duplicates). Macys, nordstrom, etc won't carry them usually. They can be expensive yes, but if you're lucky you can snag one for under 100 usd. It's a definitely a tie you'll want to take care of and keep for a while.

I really love my forest green one. It's been my baby this whole cycle.
Oh, be still my beating heart . . . . a worldly man who can speak about taking care of his baby tie. I'm in love with Mr. Magpie. You can perch yourself on my back in the Sahara anytime.

Touche', but I got fancy colors, she is not as pretty as me. "Choose me, pick me, love me." Breaking my heart already, Mr. McDreamy Magpie.

Oh but our love is fleeting,
Like a whirlwind it came turning ember to flame,
but fire is all consuming.

:flame:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Okay, so if the cuffed shirt is out, what about just a normal blue shirt and tie that matches the beige suit? There are a bunch of posts saying black suits are too formal. If beige is too informal, what is the lesser of the two evils if they are the only two suit colors I have? Bag matches my beige suit, but watch matches the black >.< thanks for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh but our love is fleeting,
Like a whirlwind it came turning ember to flame,
but fire is all consuming.
And he quotes poetry too. You are a dream come true, Mr. McDreamy Magpie. You must have a girl friend who has trained you well. My loss, ahhh but I see you have a brother @Corvid. Is he as wordly and polished as you, quoting poetry and his waxing on about his bespoke ties??

Last edited:
And he quotes poetry too. You are a dream come true, Mr. McDreamy Magpie. You must have a girl friend who has trained you well. My loss, ahhh but I see you have a brother @Corvid. Is he as wordly and polished as you, quoting poetry and his waxing on about his bespoke ties??

That little snippet was all original, just for you ;)

Alas I am spoken for (...but love is fleeting)--my dear brother is not. His poetry is of a darker vintage. He likes jean jackets.

Okay, so if the cuffed shirt is out, what about just a normal blue shirt and tie that matches the beige suit? There are a bunch of posts saying black suits are too formal. If beige is too informal, what is the lesser of the two evils if they are the only two suit colors I have? Bag matches my beige suit, but watch matches the black >.< thanks for the feedback!

Go with the black one!

The lesser of two evils in this case is the black suit. Please describe this bag that you are considering bringing. I'm a little concerned.

NB: is it possible when you say that your suit is beige you actually mean taupe, khaki, or a dark tan? Otherwise I'm envisioning something Truman Capote would wear while sipping mint juleps.

Last edited:
I know shaved facial appearance is standard for interviews, but I have a baby face. I look like I can be in high school. Is it possible to keep a little facial hair without compromising my professionalism?

I found this online and don't know if it's the same for medical school interviews. What do you think?
Untitled.png

@Winged Scapula @Goro @DokterMom

I know shaved facial appearance is standard for interviews, but I have a baby face. I look like I can be in high school. Is it possible to keep a little facial hair without compromising my professionalism?

I found this online and don't know if it's the same for medical school interviews. What do you think?

@Winged Scapula @Goro @DokterMom

"A little facial hair" is kind of worse than a lot if by "a little" you mean scruffy. A full beard or mustache that's beautifully trimmed would be minimally harmful. Scruffy just looks scruffy. And Goro's right that you all look young. (Which is OK because almost all applicants ARE young.)

"A little facial hair" is kind of worse than a lot if by "a little" you mean scruffy. A full beard or mustache that's beautifully trimmed would be minimally harmful. Scruffy just looks scruffy. And Goro's right that you all look young. (Which is OK because almost all applicants ARE young.)

Noted. I will shave.

I had just been pondering this. My dad insists that I shave my face clean, but I find that with a bald face I look much younger and less attractive - perhaps even feminine, since I have long hair (which I will of course tie back for the interview). I believe that I look my best when I shave mustache, cheeks, neck, etc. but leave my goatee trimmed yet intact. Sounds like you guys think that should be alright, as long as the beard is reasonably dense?

I had just been pondering this. My dad insists that I shave my face clean, but I find that with a bald face I look much younger and less attractive - perhaps even feminine, since I have long hair (which I will of course tie back for the interview). I believe that I look my best when I shave mustache, cheeks, neck, etc. but leave my goatee trimmed yet intact. Sounds like you guys think that should be alright, as long as the beard is reasonably dense?
Shave.

A goatee? Do you also wear a fedora or newsboy cap in everyday life?

Is this watch kosher for an interview?

http://goo.gl/WrlFHn

I was looking for a watch that will help me keep time during interviews and look nice. I also wanted something I could wear as a medical student that would look dressy.

I believe that I look my best when I shave mustache, cheeks, neck, etc. but leave my goatee trimmed yet intact. Sounds like you guys think that should be alright, as long as the beard is reasonably dense?

Nobody looks best with a goatee.

Reactions: 3 users
Wondering if I can get away with wearing fairly dark brown wingtips in lieu of black shoes. I'm running low on money and it would save me a headache. They are conservative English shoes, just dark brown. Rest of outfit is a charcoal suit, white shirt, navy grenadine tie, brown belt (obviously)

Also: I love watches but only have my 44mm diver. Should I just not wear it?

Is this watch kosher for an interview?

http://goo.gl/WrlFHn

I was looking for a watch that will help me keep time during interviews and look nice. I also wanted something I could wear as a medical student that would look dressy.

I say go for it.

That said, I love my watch to death but I try my hardest to never look at it during an interview. My solution has been to look at my interviewers watch to check the timing, although for obvious reasons it doesn't always work

Wondering if I can get away with wearing fairly dark brown wingtips in lieu of black shoes. I'm running low on money and it would save me a headache. They are conservative English shoes, just dark brown. Rest of outfit is a charcoal suit, white shirt, navy grenadine tie, brown belt (obviously)

- Charcoal and brown is hard to make work but it's not so glaring that interviewers will really notice/care. If the shoes are as dark or darker than the suit you're golden
- The 44mm diver can work but only if your wrists are big enough that it looks proportional (think about all those finance types and their Panerai's). If it just looks like a doorknob sitting on your wrist it will look casual and a bit out of place

- Charcoal and brown is hard to make work but it's not so glaring that interviewers will really notice/care. If the shoes are as dark or darker than the suit you're golden
- The 44mm diver can work but only if your wrists are big enough that it looks proportional (think about all those finance types and their Panerai's). If it just looks like a doorknob sitting on your wrist it will look casual and a bit out of place

Here's a couple pictures to help gauge what shade of brown is safer to go with concerning charcoal suits. Keep in mind I'm looking at strictly color here and not the shoe style. Concerning your watch choice, it's better not to wear a watch than to have one that is out of place. I haven't worn a watch to an interview yet for this reason (though if I could, I would buy a watch with a leather strap matching my shoe/belt color and as Glashutte32 pointed out, not too big on the wrist!)

For my interviews so far I went with dark brown shoes/charcoal suit. I think the colors look good together--a bit of burgundy/merlot mixed in with a dark brown shade is the best probably.

'Brown' w/ Charcoal (acceptable):
3466406403_1a932f5003.jpg

and....

'Brown' w/ Charcoal (not recommended):
brownshoes.jpg

Unrelated, digging the Rickenbacker 4003 @Glashutte32

Last edited:
Here's a couple pictures to help gauge what shade of brown is safer to go with concerning charcoal suits. Keep in mind I'm looking at strictly color here and not the shoe style. Concerning your watch choice, it's better not to wear a watch than to have one that is out of place. I haven't worn a watch to an interview yet for this reason (though if I could, I would buy a watch with a leather strap matching my shoe/belt color and as Glashutte32 pointed out, not too big on the wrist!)

For my interviews so far I went with dark brown shoes/charcoal suit. I think the colors look good together-- a bit of burgundy/merlot mixed in with a dark brown shade is the best probably.

'Brown' w/ Charcoal (acceptable):
3466406403_1a932f5003.jpg

and....

'Brown' w/ Charcoal (not recommended):
brownshoes.jpg

Unrelated, digging the Rickenbacker 4003 @Glashutte32
Thanks, these are the exact shoes I'm talking about:

Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 5.42.33 PM.png

That'll work, no problem.

Seconded, should work

Although, I don't give much thought to the watch band vs shoe/belt color. Generally I just go with what looks better on the watch (as in I just leave the manufacturer's band on there)

@Mr Magpie thanks for noticing the rick :)

I'm gonna go without the watch. It's a rubber strapped Aquatimer 2000 and I feel like it's too sporty for the rest of the attire. You got yourself a GO?

I'm gonna go without the watch. It's a rubber strapped Aquatimer 2000 and I feel like it's too sporty for the rest of the attire. You got yourself a GO?

I wish - my name comes from one of the others around that part of the world

Ok so I wanted to add my two cents to this post! I'm interviewing this cycle, and the more I interview the more I see how little the details of what you're wearing matter. I could've been wearing yellow pinstripes on a black suit and as long as it fits it doesn't seem to matter.

I had some pants from express that were about 60 bucks (my expensive item but they fit well xD). Then I was crunched for time and picked up a 50 dollar suit top from forever 21 that fit me decently well as is (the sleeves could've been tailored a bit to show more cuff from dress shirt but oh well). Both were black and it all worked out fine! They appreciate the formal wear I'm sure, and no one is gonna think twice about what you're wearing as long as it's not extremely baggy or anything. Focus that time on interviewing ;)

Also I've been accepted to all of the schools I've interviewed at (including top 10), so relax and enjoy!

Edit: forever 21 does sell men's suits :p

Last edited:
Ok so I wanted to add my two cents to this post! I'm interviewing this cycle, and the more I interview the more I see how little the details of what you're wearing matter. I could've been wearing yellow pinstripes on a black suit and as long as it fits it doesn't seem to matter.

I had some pants from express that were about 60 bucks (my expensive item but they fit well xD). Then I was crunched for time and picked up a 50 dollar suit top from forever 21 that fit me decently well as is (the sleeves could've been tailored a bit to show more cuff from dress shirt but oh well). Both were black and it all worked out fine! They appreciate the formal wear I'm sure, and no one is gonna think twice about what you're wearing as long as it's not extremely baggy or anything. Focus that time on interviewing ;)

Also I've been accepted to all of the schools I've interviewed at (including top 10), so relax and enjoy!
Sadly the rules are different for guys. We can wear black without it being considered formal, but they can't. We can wear yellow, bright tops, etc, but they can't.

A great suit won't get you into medical school and outside of extreme cases, a 'bad' one won't keep you out either.

An outfit can help with confidence and presentation though and for some people, that's all they need.

It seems that you already had confidence in abundance ;)
Glad it worked out for you.

Last edited:
Sadly the rules are different for guys. We can wear black without it being considered formal, but they can't. We can wear yellow, bright tops, etc, but they can't.
I am a guy lol and no one bats an eye at a black suit vs a navy blue or gray ;p

Forever 21 has a men's department?
Lolol I can see what you mean now xD yes most of the ones I've been to have a very small one in the corner, but you're right some don't haha

Lolol I can see what you mean now xD yes most of the ones I've been to have a very small one in the corner, but you're right some don't haha
My apologies. I learn something new every day on SDN.

For an interview, do I need to worry about putting a mirror shine on my shoes? They already have polish on them from when I bought them, and I have black cream polish. Should a coat of cream polish be enough, or do I need to put wax on there too to get a mirror finish?

Also, I usually tie a four-in-hand knot, but would something like a Windsor be a more tasteful choice?

For an interview, do I need to worry about putting a mirror shine on my shoes? They already have polish on them from when I bought them, and I have black cream polish. Should a coat of cream polish be enough, or do I need to put wax on there too to get a mirror finish?

Also, I usually tie a four-in-hand knot, but would something like a Windsor be a more tasteful choice?

Spit shining with the polish should be fine to get a mirror shine. It takes some work, though.

Too informal of a shade?
It's mainly that the shade doesn't pair well with charcoal from an aesthetic perspective.

It does look good with navy though (orange and blue pairing is prevalent in a lot of movie posters and other advertisements for this reason), but it may be considered more on the trendy side than formal. Honestly though, at this point, we would just be nitpicking.

@BluMist, great chart!

For an interview, do I need to worry about putting a mirror shine on my shoes?
I wouldn't worry about that. A light rub down with your polish should be fine to get rid of any scuffs.

I personally use a combination of coconut oil, lanolin, and beeswax (aka Doc Marten's Wonder Basalm) for some shine, conditioning, and light water-proofing. With enough elbow grease, as @medic86 points out, you could achieve that mirror-like sheen (but it's by no means necessary).

It depends. If your tie is on the thinner side (material-wise, not width), a four in hand might look a little flat, whereas with a thicker tie (like a grenadine), a full windsor starts to look more like a ball than a knot. Catch my drift?

I usually settle with the half-windsor since it has that nice symmetrical, triangular look like the windsor while being easy to tie like the four-in-hand. It works with just about any tie save the thickest wool or knit ties.

Generally speaking though, any of the three knots I've described are perfectly acceptable.

Last edited: