Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some people can't afford 300-400 dollar overcoats. I would imagine (although I could be wrong) that wearing a north face jacket on top of a suit which I saw plenty of kids doing looks way worse than just wearing a simple sweater vest underneath their suit jacket.

But in light of your comments, I would say that one should just brave the cold and avoid the sweater vest and non-professional jacket on top of the suit lol.
Borrow a coat.
Old guys have them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Some people can't afford 300-400 dollar overcoats. I would imagine (although I could be wrong) that wearing a north face jacket on top of a suit which I saw plenty of kids doing looks way worse than just wearing a simple sweater vest underneath their suit jacket.

But in light of your comments, I would say that one should just brave the cold and avoid the sweater vest and non-professional jacket on top of the suit lol.
I have a friend who bought an amazing overcoat for $40 at a secondhand/goodwill type store.

Reactions: 2 users
^ Good call on the thrift stores! You will definitely find good, dressier pieces there. Also, if you want to spend a bit more, Ross and Nordstrom Rack can yield some amazing finds.

I thought I'd share some of my observations of men's clothing on the interview trail. Gentlemen, iron your suits. I was appalled at how many wrinkled suits I saw. Make sure that you have a way to smooth out your suit the morning of. If that means packing an iron, then so be it. Or, ask your student host if they have an iron you can use.

I wore a grey suit to each of my interviews and each time was the only person wearing a grey suit. I was always in a sea of black. I did receive some compliments from admissions people though, so I'll take that as a plus. It made me stand out, but I don't think in a bad way...

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You could just be from Wisconsin and not care about the cold

Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile

^ Good call on the thrift stores! You will definitely find good, dressier pieces there. Also, if you want to spend a bit more, Ross and Nordstrom Rack can yield some amazing finds.

I thought I'd share some of my observations of men's clothing on the interview trail. Gentlemen, iron your suits. I was appalled at how many wrinkled suits I saw. Make sure that you have a way to smooth out your suit the morning of. If that means packing an iron, then so be it. Or, ask your student host if they have an iron you can use.

I wore a grey suit to each of my interviews and each time was the only person wearing a grey suit. I was always in a sea of black. I did receive some compliments from admissions people though, so I'll take that as a plus. It made me stand out, but I don't think in a bad way...

Good luck everyone!
There are irons in motels, too.
At a minimum, steam them.
Charcoal and navy are preferred interview suit colors.

Do you guys recommend buying a full suit, or separately? I already have a charcoal suit jacket, so is it a good idea to buy charcoal pants? I also have the option of getting a suit tailored this summer, so I could go with a different color.

Do you guys recommend buying a full suit, or separately? I already have a charcoal suit jacket, so is it a good idea to buy charcoal pants? I also have the option of getting a suit tailored this summer, so I could go with a different color.
A suit jacket and trouser must be made from exactly the same fabric and color!
Navy or charcoal are preferred for this type of interview (business professional).

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw a post about the application picture that programs tend to ask for in their secondaries and it has me thinking about choosing a proper picture for this. I understand navy and charcoal are the best bet for interviews, but would it be wrong to use a professional headshot photo if I'm wearing a light grey suit coat? Also, smile or no smile for the app picture?

Saw a post about the application picture that programs tend to ask for in their secondaries and it has me thinking about choosing a proper picture for this. I understand navy and charcoal are the best bet for interviews, but would it be wrong to use a professional headshot photo if I'm wearing a light grey suit coat? Also, smile or no smile for the app picture?

Yes that would be fine to wear for your headshot

If you are comfortable smiling for the camera and have a nice smile, I think a smile is better

I think studies support this.... dunno. My .02

I'd recommend a full suit. I wore navy suit or a charcoal suit. Just wore a white shirt underneath but tried to stand out with a nice neck tie. Although suiting up and looking professional is important, your mannerisms are even more important!

Sent from my iPhone

What do you guys think about a blazer with matching pants? I honestly can't really tell the different between suit jackets and blazers. My blazer comes with matching pants and it doesn't contain any metal or gold buttons, only plastic buttons. It also has pocket flaps and is made with pretty nice woven fabric. This is what it looks like but a little lighter in color. It costs much less than a suit jacket so I was wondering if this would be appropriate or should I spend money on a formal one?

upload_2016-7-20_0-35-2.png

What do you guys think about a blazer with matching pants? I honestly can't really tell the different between suit jackets and blazers. My blazer comes with matching pants and it doesn't contain any metal or gold buttons, only plastic buttons. It also has pocket flaps and is made with pretty nice woven fabric. This is what it looks like but a little lighter in color. It costs much less than a suit jacket so I was wondering if this would be appropriate or should I spend money on a formal one?
If it truly comes with perfectly matching pants, I don't think there is a noticeable difference between this and a suit.

This website seems to agree: https://blacklapel.com/thecompass/a...ifference-between-a-blazer-and-a-suit-jacket/

Members don't see this ad :)
I say no

get a real grown up's suit

Eh, honestly if it comes with 100% matching pants you couldn't tell the difference anyways (especially if he gets it tailored). And honestly if that came with matching pants I'd be hard pressed to not call that a suit anyways. As CowBoyNiceGuy said though, the pants have to match...close won't cut it.

Close definitely wouldn't cut it. And also make sure there are only two front buttons. And if I remember correctly, according to @gyngyn, pocket squares are a no go unfortunately.

View attachment 206538

Agree with most of the above, drop the pocket square, grab a non-patterned white or light blue dress shirt, a nice tie, and as per the suit color, probably black shoes, or the darkest of brown--cap toe oxfords with minimal brogue patterning will be the safest.

Save your money if you can, as this combo will not sink you at all. Buy a grown up suit when you're actually grown up, which in this day in age, will be about.... 30 or so :laugh:. Good luck!

If it truly comes with perfectly matching pants, I don't think there is a noticeable difference between this and a suit.

This website seems to agree: https://blacklapel.com/thecompass/a...ifference-between-a-blazer-and-a-suit-jacket/
Yup, it comes with matching pants (color, fabric, etc.). Initially I thought it was a suit too, until the store labeled it a blazer.

Eh, honestly if it comes with 100% matching pants you couldn't tell the difference anyways (especially if he gets it tailored). And honestly if that came with matching pants I'd be hard pressed to not call that a suit anyways. As CowBoyNiceGuy said though, the pants have to match...close won't cut it.

100 % matching pants (color, fabric, etc.). Initially, I couldn't tell the difference between this and a suit jacket. Does a suit jacket have a specific style or cut? Honestly, I thought my "blazer" was a suit. Can you get it tailored into a suit?

Close definitely wouldn't cut it. And also make sure there are only two front buttons. And if I remember correctly, according to @gyngyn, pocket squares are a no go unfortunately.

Yup two front buttons, matching pants. Dang, I guess I need to take out that pocket square. Just curious, why no pocket square?

Agree with most of the above, drop the pocket square, grab a non-patterned white or light blue dress shirt, a nice tie, and as per the suit color, probably black shoes, or the darkest of brown--cap toe oxfords with minimal brogue patterning will be the safest.

Save your money if you can, as this combo will not sink you at all. Buy a grown up suit when you're actually grown up, which in this day in age, will be about.... 30 or so :laugh:. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I wouldn't want to spend money on a brand new suit especially with the amount I've already spent on applications...30 means I'm an adult? Sweet, I got 8 more years of playing Pokemon Go!

Kudos to someone who brought up Suitsupply. Their suits are immaculate! I had to take like triple look when I walked passed the store. They are pricey for general pre-med but I promise you, you'll get the bang for your bucks! Another store I recommend is Indochino, a little less than Suitsupply but still beautiful and perfect for interview. If you're Asian or thinner frame like I am, these places are the best to get your suit from. Skip the mall, you'll never fit in their stuff.

Yup, it comes with matching pants (color, fabric, etc.). Initially I thought it was a suit too, until the store labeled it a blazer.

100 % matching pants (color, fabric, etc.). Initially, I couldn't tell the difference between this and a suit jacket. Does a suit jacket have a specific style or cut? Honestly, I thought my "blazer" was a suit. Can you get it tailored into a suit?

Yup two front buttons, matching pants. Dang, I guess I need to take out that pocket square. Just curious, why no pocket square?

Thanks for the advice! I wouldn't want to spend money on a brand new suit especially with the amount I've already spent on applications...30 means I'm an adult? Sweet, I got 8 more years of playing Pokemon Go!

It comes off as too... needy. Not saying I agree with it though

These are good shoes, right?

iuLBuAE.jpg

I already bought them.

In real life they look more shiny, but they do have a subtle grain in the leather. I wish they were less shiny, but the photo is pretty close.

These will definitely work with my charcoal suit. Are these good for my very dark navy suit as well? My navy suit is almost black.

Yes they are fine and will work well with navy and charcoal/grey. Don't wear with brown pants and you're good to go.

I intend to wear this exact outfit to most interviews:

unnamed.jpg

Should be fine, right?

Is having a beard bad? I plan to get a haircut before obv. Skin tape up on sides and back w/ a 6 on top for those who understand barber lingo. Tape up will fade into a well kept beard (not that long about an inch)

Is having a beard bad? I plan to get a haircut before obv. Skin tape up on sides and back w/ a 6 on top for those who understand barber lingo. Tape up will fade into a well kept beard (not that long about an inch)
Shave.

unnamed.jpg

Should be fine, right?

Don't button the bottom button. It's supposed to be left undone. Also unbutton the top button before you sit down.

Suit/shirt/tie themselves are fine, yes?

I'd wear a different tie myself, something with simple stripes or a plain navy/burgundy.
If that's all you have then it's fine, but if you have a couple of other ones, then lets see them.

Fun fact: Thrift stores are great for ties. Most have a box for 3-4 bucks each. Ebay is great for them as well. You can get brooks brothers ties for about 10-20 bucks shipped.

Thinking about wearing a navy blue suit- or should I switch to my older black suit? Will be matching it with a light blue shirt (not sure on the tie)

Last edited:
I'd wear a different tie myself, something with simple stripes or a plain navy/burgundy.
If that's all you have then it's fine, but if you have a couple of other ones, then lets see them.

Fun fact: Thrift stores are great for ties. Most have a box for 3-4 bucks each. Ebay is great for them as well. You can get brooks brothers ties for about 10-20 bucks shipped.

Hm I also have this one:

Untitled.png

And the blue suit it is attached to. I think the grey suit looks nicer though.

Note: I will be bringing my neck and head to this interview.

Out of curiosity, how is luxury brand (Gucci, Burberry, etc...) clothing perceived by the interviewers? That I am going into medicine for the money?

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how is luxury brand (Gucci, Burberry, etc...) clothing perceived by the interviewers? That I am going into medicine for the money?
Ostentatiously expensive (logos...) dress is not desirable.
Well made, well tailored and well considered are fine.

Ostentatiously expensive (logos...) dress is not desirable.
Well made, well tailored and well considered are fine.
Thank you. I have a navy blue suit picked out for my interview and I wanted to go with black shoes, but they have a small visible logo (Gucci) on the sides. My other pair of shoes are non-name brand, but they are tan/ light brown. It's too late to go shopping. Should I go with the black or with the tan?

Also, what do you think about this type of haircut?
http://haircutinspiration.com/top-business-hairstyles-for-men/13/

Thank you. I have a navy blue suit picked out for my interview and I wanted to go with black shoes, but they have a small visible logo (Gucci) on the sides. My other pair of shoes are non-name brand, but they are tan/ light brown. It's too late to go shopping. Should I go with the black or with the tan?

Also, what do you think about this type of haircut?
http://haircutinspiration.com/top-business-hairstyles-for-men/13/
Tiny logos are not a problem.
With a little less height (and no scruff), the hair is acceptable.

I'm going to focus in my interview answers I think ;)

In that case, I'd highly recommend that you just buy one of the ties I listed for under 10 bucks because the two you posted are a bit gaudy. Certainly not the worst offense, but you can do far worse than picking up a BB tie for 10 bucks delivered to your door.

It's about time you checked back in on us!

When I start typing 'stu...' into my web browser, the first link that pops up is studentloans.gov, not studentdoctor.net...
Oh life.

Going searching this weekend for my suit. Main question - where should I go? (BB, Jos A Bank, etc.)

Planning on wearing:
  • Dark navy suit - two front buttons
  • Dark brown cap toe oxfords
  • Dark brown belt
  • Burgundy tie
  • Black and Dark Blue Seiko Watch
  • White or Light Blue Solid Shirt (opinions?)
  • Anything else?

I went to Men's Warehouse. They were having a buy one get one free thing, so I ended up with a charcoal suit and a navy suit. Good stuff.

unnamed.jpg

Should be fine, right?

Jacket is too big, tie is ugly and the knot you tied is very poor.

That said, it would pass as acceptable. The easiest fix is to get a better tie and learn how to tie a decent knot.

Someone already pointed out the incorrect buttoning but you said you are aware of that now.

No one should go to a factory store because a retail store isn't close by. If you were actually considering buying from retail BB ($$$), then do it right and either drive to a proper suitor or get measured at a tailor and order online (and then get it tailored).

No one should go to a factory store because a retail store isn't close by. If you were actually considering buying from retail BB ($$$), then do it right and either drive to a proper suitor or get measured at a tailor and order online (and then get it tailored).
I agree.
I'd rather see a good second-hand suit, tailored well, than a shiny, poorly made or ill fitting one.

Although, I will say I've heard (and read from several men's fashion blogs) that the JCrew Factory suits are of decent quality for the price, especially if you grab on on sale. You'll have to tailor it, of course, but it's an option.

I was actually planning on driving an hour and a half to go to the factory store. The retail store is over three hours away so that's a little overboard.

Is purchasing online acceptable? I was always under the impression to never do this

Also stripes in the suit are unacceptable correct?
If you are only going to have one suit, stick with charcoal or navy.
Online is fine. You still need a tailor.

I was actually planning on driving an hour and a half to go to the factory store. The retail store is over three hours away so that's a little overboard.

Is purchasing online acceptable? I was always under the impression to never do this

Also stripes in the suit are unacceptable correct?

I'm more so saying if you're going to spend the kind of money that you would spend at the retail store (if the retail store were closer to you) then you'd be better off ordering online and then tailoring it once you get it
Charcoal or navy is fine, for my only suit I'd go navy but that's just my preference.

The 1818 is a staple of BB, can't go wrong with that for interviews.

Edit: yes for SuitSupply.

Last edited:
I'm nowhere near this stage yet, but how are suspenders treated by interviewers?

Would it be considered professional to wear black/gray suspenders with a charcoal suit?

I'm not about to read every page in this thread, but maybe someone can help me. Would something like this be appropriate for a medical school interview? If it makes any difference I'm interviewing in the Southeastern US.
upload_2016-8-13_21-48-26.png