Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you show up to an interview at my school like this, it will be noticed...
I should clarify that I meant the suit.
I am inferring noticed negatively, because I have yet to see you become enthusiastic about a suit.

You need a tie. I'm not sure if @gyngyn means you need anything else. Some say that you need a watch too.
I will opt for the recommendation and get some sort of pin dot.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

That suit just looks off to me and I think it's a combination of things. It's poorly fitting on that guy for one. Crotch is high, legs are tight, coat looks too short and too tight, lapels look narrow, the padding on the shoulders looks asymmetric. I wouldn't buy a suit from a maker who can't get it to look right on a model

Reactions: 1 users

Attachments

• tie.png
    tie.png
    1 MB · Views: 75
  • tie2.png
    tie2.png
    999.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
407295_DKG00_1000_002_100_0000_Light-Leather-loafer.jpg

I wore these to all of my interviews. Matched well with my navy suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
No pocket squares, if I remember correctly.

What about tie clip? Lapel pin? Socks should match the suit pants (i.e. dark navy shade pants with dark navy shade socks)?

No pocket squares, if I remember correctly.

What about tie clip? Lapel pin? Socks should match the suit pants (i.e. dark navy shade pants with dark navy shade socks)?
I'll be honest, there have been plenty of people in my interviews who used tie clips, lapel pins, pocket squares, loafers, non-business formal shoes, etc. I don't think it'll matter too much as long as you look sharp and professional. If you're really worried, keep it simple and leave all the extra stuff off. Socks should definitely match the pants tho.

edcf4a28-1c0d-47d2-8b91-c5eb45e93323
@gyngyn

How is this tie? Also, if the knot isn't tied properly, what are your thoughts on clip on tie of the exact same color?

roU5EUr.jpg

Clip on? You're joking. Hopefully.
You want to be a physician, but can't take the time to learn to tie a tie properly?
Ok...

--
Il Destriero

The issue is I can't tell if a tie is supposed to look like that or not. I'm not exactly a tie connoisseur. I backread a few pages on this thread and noticed a few times people have said "that tie is tied poorly" but I couldn't tell what was wrong with it. What are your thoughts on this one?

The tie knot is fine. Also regarding what someone wrote, tie bars/clasps are perfectly okay to wear as long as they aren't flashy (basic tie bar with silver non-matte finish is the best to use). If you are wearing a grenadine tie (you'll see these ties recommended throughout this thread), do NOT wear a tie bar because it will snag your tie. I personally own some grenadine ties, and rough areas on my hands can snag the silk threads, so imagine what a tie bar would do to your tie.

Reactions: 1 user
I've always preferred to wear a navy suit and a modestly striped gold tie for my professional occasions; however, I've noticed that most interviewees stick to black/charcoal and solid tie. Is there anything wrong with wearing a navy suit, light blue shirt, dark brown shoes, and tie similar to this?

tmPYHtG.png

I am planning on wearing a charcoal suit with a very light blue shirt and a tie that is almost identical to this. Does anyone have an opinion if a yellow tie is too bright? I don't usually go for the bright color option, but I think the whole outfit looks good. My girlfriend, however, is concerned that it won't look as formal. Thoughts?

Hey guys,

Is there a stigma associated with square toe-box shoes? I've seen numerous people dislike them, but I think they're comfortable.

Hey guys,

Is there a stigma associated with square toe-box shoes? I've seen numerous people dislike them, but I think they're comfortable.
Yes, they're hideous and remind people of the 90s.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys,

Check out meermin.es. I have really weird feet and everything just hurts with my feet but after wearing these shoes and breaking them in after about 3 times, they're my most comfortable (and stylish) dress shoes.

I decided to go with these with a grey suit and a red tie on a recent interview. Hopefully it turns out well!
adidas-yeezy-boost-350-v2-pirate-bred-release-date-1.jpg

Attachments

• adidas-yeezy-boost-350-v2-pirate-bred-release-date-1.jpg
    adidas-yeezy-boost-350-v2-pirate-bred-release-date-1.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 53
I want to go to an interview dressed like this one day
6abf66bdebd20b1fef7ba9d17b6e7b1a.jpg

What do you think are some of the most appropriate Nordstrom or Brooks Brother made to measure suits for MD/DO interviews? I get that navy is good for color, but what styles do you recommend? I plan on going to Providence Nordstrom this week (unfortunately I just missed their sale).

Hey SDNers! I have an interview coming up and want to wear this navy suit I own but I feel like it may be a little too light. Thoughts?

Regent Fit Sharkskin 1818 Suit - Brooks Brothers

I also have the same one in black but i'm hearing that I should avoid the all black suit.
Not too light at all. Every other interviewer wears a black suit. It really doesn’t matter but I liked wearing my blue suit to remind myself it wasn’t a funeral procession

MD/PHD interviews, most are two days, so I'll need more than one suit.

Would this color be okay?
3396702_fpx.tif

Also, what about this?

3882790_fpx.tif

Also, which would you recommend for PHD portion and which for the med school?

MD/PHD interviews, most are two days, so I'll need more than one suit.

Would this color be okay?
3396702_fpx.tif

Also, what about this?

3882790_fpx.tif

Also, which would you recommend for PHD portion and which for the med school?

You don't need two suits. Just wear a different shirt and tie. If you want 2 and have the money for 2, by all means go for it, but don't feel compelled

Reactions: 2 users
Not too light at all. Every other interviewer wears a black suit. It really doesn’t matter but I liked wearing my blue suit to remind myself it wasn’t a funeral procession

Thanks for the advice! Definitely rocking this to my interview next week!

You don't need two suits. Just wear a different shirt and tie. If you want 2 and have the money for 2, by all means go for it, but don't feel compelled

Oh really?

I have both of them, which would you recommend I wear?