Mental illness disclosure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicaduceus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The pre-allo thread on mental illness and self-disclosure was very helpful so I thought I’d try to get some advice here. I’ll be starting M1 this year and was wondering whether disclosure about my medical background to the school admin would help or hurt. If I reveal that I receive treatment for psychiatric problems, would it just open a huge can of worms or would it be helpful so I could get support if I need it?

I was diagnosed with complex PTSD and bipolar II, for which I’m on medication. I did not talk about this in my PS or interviews, although I did allude to personal problems that led to disruptions in my studies. The thing is I’m not sure how this will look to the school; I guess what I’m really worried about is they’ll rescind my offer or make me defer a year or two on the grounds that I’m unfit or not stable enough. Or at least call my psychiatrist and/or make me go through an evaluation by another dr. My psychiatrist is rather cautious and not the sort to give a ringing endorsement, even though she does concede I’m doing quite well now, as I finished my studies and have been working for several years. Her main concern is my easy access to dangerous drugs if I ever get suicidal again.

My school has a pre-enrolment medical exam so I don’t suppose I can really resort to outright lying (it would be rather impossible to explain away the scars on my arms). Should I just say I was treated for depression? Anyone has any opinions/experience/advice?

Members don't see this ad.

The pre-allo thread on mental illness and self-disclosure was very helpful so I thought I’d try to get some advice here. I’ll be starting M1 this year and was wondering whether disclosure about my medical background to the school admin would help or hurt. If I reveal that I receive treatment for psychiatric problems, would it just open a huge can of worms or would it be helpful so I could get support if I need it?

I was diagnosed with complex PTSD and bipolar II, for which I’m on medication. I did not talk about this in my PS or interviews, although I did allude to personal problems that led to disruptions in my studies. The thing is I’m not sure how this will look to the school; I guess what I’m really worried about is they’ll rescind my offer or make me defer a year or two on the grounds that I’m unfit or not stable enough. Or at least call my psychiatrist and/or make me go through an evaluation by another dr. My psychiatrist is rather cautious and not the sort to give a ringing endorsement, even though she does concede I’m doing quite well now, as I finished my studies and have been working for several years. Her main concern is my easy access to dangerous drugs if I ever get suicidal again.

My school has a pre-enrolment medical exam so I don’t suppose I can really resort to outright lying (it would be rather impossible to explain away the scars on my arms). Should I just say I was treated for depression? Anyone has any opinions/experience/advice?

If your school has a reputation for being open-minded about that kind of thing, I would openly admit to it. If not, I would try to avoid disclosure.

The only individuals that should know of your disorder is you (the patient) and the physician that is treating your while you are away at school. (You should have a local physican with whom your home psychiatrist should have your written permission to send your treatment records). Do not lie but do not voluntarily disclose this information to anyone who is not directly involved in your medical treatment. If you scars are healed, don't discuss them unless specifically asked within the context of a confidential medical interview.

Your psychiatrist cannot give any information about your treatment to your school administration. To do so would violate patient-physician confidentiality and privacy.

If your disorder does not prevent you or impair your abilities to carry out your duties as a medical student, then you need not disclose this on your pre-matriculation physical. Like any person who is going to be away from home for an exteneded period of time with a chronic condition (controlled or otherwise), you should find a local physican to manage your care. Again, this person cannot share your person medical information or treatment with anyone who is not directly involved in your medical care.

Your confidential medical background is not the business of the school administration unless it impairs your ability to function as a medical student or unless you need special accomodations for testing etc. Otherwise, keep your medical information between yourself and the physican who is treating you.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school has a pre-enrolment medical exam

Is this common? I've never heard of this before. Anyway, I agree with previous posters. No reason to bring it up as long as it's not an issue. Obviously, you definitely need to continue treatment throughout med school, and be willing to put your mental health above school if that ever becomes necessary. But none of that is any of your school's business, which is why I'm so weirded out by the pre-enrollment physical.

I also agree with everything that njbmd has said. Try to keep everything regarding your psychiatric history as confidential as possible-- the less they know, the better. Just make sure that when you start school this fall that you have a good support system in place; a treating psychiatrist nearby whom you trust and who is readily available if you need him/her, and for God's sake don't stop taking your medication.

My understanding of the whole "pre enrollment physical" thing is just to make sure that you don't have any conditions that would prevent you from participating in normal physician's activities... like they'd want to know if you have a bad back (can't lift patients) or drug addiction or having some other condition that would prevent a certain type of patient interaction. If your condition does not affect your ability to do anything a physician would do, I don't think it will even come up during this kind of physical.

hi! I am also diagnosed with bipolar II and currently enrolled in an MD/MBA program. I would not disclose my illness, but the school found out anyway. they're just concerned if I can handle the stress of being under medication and undergoing treatment. What are your medications? I'm taking an antipsychotic and an anticonvulsant which sounds harsh to doctors' ears. I am worried about the same thing.

hi! I am also diagnosed with bipolar II and currently enrolled in an MD/MBA program. I would not disclose my illness, but the school found out anyway. they're just concerned if I can handle the stress of being under medication and undergoing treatment. What are your medications? I'm taking an antipsychotic and an anticonvulsant which sounds harsh to doctors' ears. I am worried about the same thing.

Both you guys show an admirable level of dedication! I am not sure I'd be able to go through premed or med with this on top of all the difficulties. Good luck!

My $0.02

You (OP) will probably have to fill out a health form for their student health records if they're giving you a physical. It's probably similar to the ones you encountered in undergrad. I'm sure part of the form will ask you to list any current medical conditions you have been diagnosed with and any medications you take on a regular basis. If you leave out your history and medications on this form I would highly suggest (to everybody really) writing down all medications and doses that you take on an index card and placing this card in your wallet. This will ensure that if you need emergent care the docs treating you will have accurate information quickly which reduces the risks to you in terms of interactions, overdoses, etc.

Make sure that you get a local physician and that he/she is not a part of the university medical faculty. It might make rotations weird if your doc ends up being one of your supervisors.

I would also check the local paper (student and town) for bipolar support group meetings. I know that may sound a little corny and may not be your "thing", but if you're moving to a new town where you don't know anybody and are under stress, they provide a ready made support network of people with whom you can share freely and have faced many of the same issues you have been dealing with.

You may have figured most of this out on your own, but I hope it has been somewhat helpful. Good luck in the future and I hope everything goes well for you.

I'm an incoming med student, and got diagnosed with bipolar II recently. I'm thinking of deferring admission for a year to get everything together before starting med school.
So now the problem is, how do I ask the deans without sounding unfit for med school? Do I have to say it's a psychiatric problem? Also, for those of you who have deferred, did you guys have to send in final transcripts and immunization records and everything before they let you defer?

I was also just recently diagnosed and thought of deferring for a while, but I pushed through with it anyway. For me, it's not worth the 1 year wait. I will just have to learn to cope as I go along. You won't believe how difficult it was coping with medication while being in school! God! I felt like A zombie on the antipsychotics. Couldn't react much to anything, emotionless, flat.. Now my body has adjusted and I'm okay. I'm sure you will too. What medicines are you taking, bendnsnap?

I'm an incoming med student, and got diagnosed with bipolar II recently. I'm thinking of deferring admission for a year to get everything together before starting med school.
So now the problem is, how do I ask the deans without sounding unfit for med school? Do I have to say it's a psychiatric problem? Also, for those of you who have deferred, did you guys have to send in final transcripts and immunization records and everything before they let you defer?

If I were your dean, I would be happy if you were smart enough to ask for a year's deferment to get settled. Much easier than starting school, being overwhelmed, dropping out and having to come back later. Schools deal with this stuff all the time.

If you decide to defer to a year, I think that would be a wise decision. Med school is hard enough, and when you add mental illness to the picture, it's damn near impossible. I had difficulties during my first year and had to take a leave of absence for a semester.

It's up to you what you want to say to your dean-- I would say try to be as discreet as possible until you know how supportive your administration is. It may be best to just say that you're going through some unexpected hardships right now both personally and medically related and you think that it would be in your best interests to defer your admissions for a year.

I guess the main concern is, will we be discriminated on?

I guess the main concern is, will we be discriminated on?

The answer is-- maybe. In my case, the administration turned out to be incredibly supportive and understanding. However, we in a society where not everyone is that way, and you don't want to get flagged as a "problem" student before you even get the chance to prove yourself. The mentally ill tend to be heavily discriminated against, and telling your dean could be problematic if not handled with discretion and wisdom.

Whether or not you feel you should tell your school is dependent on you-- you should definitely talk with your psychiatrist about this situation and get his/her opinion. If you feel you are going to need certain accomodations or the support of the administration during the school year to make it through med school, then perhaps you should strongly consider informing them about your condition. If however, you feel that with outside treatment and medication, that you can remain stable and get through the academic rigors of medical school on your own, then I would strongly advise you to keep this to yourself.

i think one of the other concerns is if it should be disclosed upon taking the required physical at the start of the school year. i had to put down the drugs I'm taking- an antipsychotic and an anticonvulsant because of honesty issues and the fear that being found out later on would constitute withholding information which could be grounds for termination.

wow, thanks guys for the great advice! I hope it's not too late to defer, because I didn't know about my illness until really recently, like right after graduation. After that it took a while to actually come to terms with it and realize that this is a very real condition and not just something I failed to control. Would the school not let me defer because I didn't tell them earlier? Also I got in off the waitlist, so they didn't want me THAT much... hehe.
Despair, I'm taking Lithobid (a brand of Lithium) and Wellbutrin (Bupropion, an antidepressant). Nothing like having an illness to become almost an expert in it...

wow, thanks guys for the great advice! I hope it's not too late to defer, because I didn't know about my illness until really recently, like right after graduation. After that it took a while to actually come to terms with it and realize that this is a very real condition and not just something I failed to control. Would the school not let me defer because I didn't tell them earlier? Also I got in off the waitlist, so they didn't want me THAT much... hehe.
Despair, I'm taking Lithobid (a brand of Lithium) and Wellbutrin (Bupropion, an antidepressant). Nothing like having an illness to become almost an expert in it...

It's kind of difficult to predict what your administration is going to say regarding a request for deferrment. However, it seems to me that you have a compelling reason-- asking for a year off in order to get healthy from a recently diagnosed disease that is chronic in nature seems as gooda reason as any to me. If they don't understand, then they're nuts. If they do say no, what does your psychiatrist think about your entering medical school this coming fall; does he/she think that you're ready to handle it?

I'm taking Abilify and Topamax which I had to write down at my school's med form. Anyway, I wish you all the luck with being deferred. I'm charging into med school with my illness and therapy with me. I just refuse to wait a year. But that's probably the wrong attitude.

Thanks a lot for all the helpful advice and encouraging replies. I did my physical with a family practitioner friend who wrote that I had "a history of depression that is under control with medication". Rather judicious, I think. I'm on Efexor and Lamictal, but didn't write this down. Hope this passes muster!