Mentored Research/Grant Opportunities During Traditional Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyneuron

cyneuron
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been searching on this topic for quite a while and have developed an impression there are no formal opportunities (not talking about getting hooked with one of the faculty's research project, rather formal mentored research opportunities/grants/funds) available to residents pursuing traditional (not the formal research residency) residency programs.

For example, this webpage on NIH website NIH Career Development Awards for individuals with a health-professional doctorate shows that there are no formal awards/grant mechanisms to support research during residency. NIH seems to give the support only starting fellowship.

I would really appreciate if people may share any information about general and specific resources available to pursue research during traditional residency (Neurology in my case).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No replies. Surprising. Haven't seen SDN this inactive.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Out of the following residencies, which ones would you think would be most conducive to conducting research?

1) Neurology 2) Psychiatry 3) Radiology 4) Neurosurgery

My guess it that neurosurgery would be the most difficult?

Out of the following residencies, which ones would you think would be most conducive to conducting research?

Most Neurosurg programs actually require 2 years of research during residency. But you're correct that, trying to have a career as a neurosurgeon and a lab based scientist is very difficult (but not impossible).

Most NS programs that I have seen only require 1, can you name some that require 2?

It seems that you ranked them in order of being conducive for research but I am biased as I am a Neurologist. In truthiness, I can easily see the first three specialties as been able to conduct a 80/20 (r/c) mix easily. NSU is an important specialty but often hiring researchers not conducting research. I have known a few NIH funded wet lab scientists who are Neurosurgeons, but very very few. Most tend to do 40/60 (r/c) at best eventually building their academic practice. Non-interventional Radiology is an specialty where you can be reading the studies for a day or two a week. The moment that you add "interventional procedures", you move closer to NSU in regards to time commitment.

Is my understanding correct that there are no research grant awards available during residency? Medical school time for MD/PhD students at least offers F30/F31 award mechanism. Is there no such option available during residency, even for residencies with dedicated 1 or 2 years research time? Can residents apply for small NIH grants during residency, like R21 or similar ilk? I had read somewhere that payment could be an issue for anyone that has a grant because Medicare payments to programs require that all residents at an institution's program must be paid the same amount. Thus, a grant that supports 5% of salary would mean a 5% reduction from the Medicare-sponsored resident salary, which would make it a violation of Medicare rules.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments? I might be extremely ignorant on my knowledge with regards to this, so please correct and enlighten me. Thanks!