Mercer University Master in Pre-Clinical Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPMo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard from a Mercer rep that there will be a new MS in pre-clinical science program that is starting in the Fall? I applied and just got accepted :)soexcited:) and thought I would share it with the SDN world. I don't think they have many applicants from what I can tell
http://medapps.mercer.edu/Academics/Degree%20Programs/preclinicalsciences

Highlights:
1 year master's program
Take the first year med school classes
No MCAT requirement!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Woot!! That makes two of us! I'm kinda worried that there won't be too many others, they were only looking for 30 people to begin with but something tells me they won't have a full class. Hopefully I'm wrong! But then again....maybe its a good thing too

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I was kind of feeling that way. But before I got my acceptance they made it seem like there was a likely possibility that I could be waitlisted or not selected. So I was a little nervous. Also, the May 1 deadline hasn't passed. So all we can do is wait and see.

Well Im not sure exactly what defines a "true" SMP but I would believe that it is. Mercer's med school uses PBL so I was told that it wouldn't be feasible for us to be in the groups along with the med students so from my understanding we take the lecture versions of courses. Here's the curriculum:

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fall Courses: (15 credit hours in total)
.[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]BMS 610 .[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics (5 credit hours).[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
BMS 611
.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Human Immunity (5 credit hours)
.[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]BMS 611 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Molecular Cell Biology (5 credit hours).

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Spring Courses (16 credit hours in total)
.[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]BMS 620 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Human Physiology (5 credit hours)
.[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]BMS 621 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Human Development (5 credit hours)
.[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]BMS 622 .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Microbial Pathogenesis (5 credit hours)
.[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]BMS 623.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Preclinical Sciences Capstone (1 credit hour).

Last edited:
I just heard about this program so I put my app in last week. I hope it's not too late.

Sent from my PG06100 using SDN Mobile

Hopefully, but May 1st is the deadline. Anybody hear anything yet? I'm anxious to know how the program is gonna be run ie. class schedule, capstone project (Eww!), etc.

How did you find out about the deadline being extended?

I applied to the program and I see that the course work is very intense for each semester which will be beneficial if you do well. Since it is a new program, I noticed they don't really mention if students apply to medical school prior/ after completing the program and you have to seek tutoring assistance by yourself. All I can do now is hope for the best! Congrats to those who were accepted!

Did you get the email stating a description of each course?
Yes I did, courses look kinda intense :eek: It will be interesting to see what this capstone is all about though...Im realllyyyyyyyyy not looking forward to it! haha

And the deadline has been extended until May 23rd!!!
That's good news! But unfortunately, this may prove that they don't have many applicants! Where did you see the deadline extended?

I applied to the program and I see that the course work is very intense for each semester which will be beneficial if you do well. Since it is a new program, I noticed they don't really mention if students apply to medical school prior/ after completing the program and you have to seek tutoring assistance by yourself. All I can do now is hope for the best! Congrats to those who were accepted!
My plan is to re-take the MCAT in late July/earlyAug and apply to med schools, stating that I am in this program and will be expecting new grades that way I won't be judged on my undergrad GPA. If all goes well, I should be accepting next fall without a gap year

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody get the financial aid packet yet?

No, I didn't but they said that we should receive it within 10 days of the acceptance letter!

I want to apply to this but I cant find anything saying the deadline has been extended so I am apprehensive to pay my application fee...

I just got accepted too. I was actully thinking the same thing. The classes are not with other med students and there is no direct linkage to their med school. Plus I am not a GA resident.

Do you have to be a GA resident to apply to this program?

No but I am sure to apply to their medical school you have to be a resident.

No but I am sure to apply to their medical school you have to be a resident.

Thats exactly what I've been told! So I really don't know how this program will be beneficial-well for someone out of state at least.

it would be cool if the 1 yr program gave you residency... what are the rules for that?

I also was accepted. However, Im not sure how I feel about this program since its new. Has anyone talked with admissions to see if they have linkage or offer an interview. I was accepted to pcom, unthsc and here but im thinking im going to stick with pcom. Thoughts? Also if anyobe has heard anythibg from admissions please do tell :)

I asked questions about this program before I applied which basically asked how would this benefit me. They told me it would help with PhD and MD programs. Although there isn't a linkage program, I think because this is through the school of medicine if you do well enough in the program, this will have an effect on helping you get in.

Sent from my LG-P999 using SDN Mobile

Just got accepted. Unless you are graded against the medical students or if there is any linkage with the MD program, I just don't see a whole lot of use from this. And it looks a lot more research oriented than i thought. I'll probably be declining my spot.

Are you sure you weren't looking at the biomedical science program? The pre-clinical science programs has no research involved, unless you count the capstone project as research

I havent received anything about financial aid yet. Did you call them?

I havent received anything about financial aid yet. Did you call them?

I did actually, they sent out an email saying that there is a delay but we should receive something in the next coming week.

I did actually, they sent out an email saying that there is a delay but we should receive something in the next coming week.

Ohh ok. I didn't get that email. That may be because I just sent back my acceptance letter today.

The class times are soooo different from my times in undergrad!

Ya, I love the scheduling but 2 hour classes!!!! I guess welcome to the harsh world of grad school :(

For those who don't know yet, the class schedule has been released!
Starting Aug 21, classes are scheduled for 9-11am and 2-4pm on Tues/Thurs and 2-4pm on wed/fri

Hey did anyone find out if they have any linkage to their Medschool? I know this program is new and its the first year.

Ya, I love the scheduling but 2 hour classes!!!! I guess welcome to the harsh world of grad school :(

For those who don't know yet, the class schedule has been released!
Starting Aug 21, classes are scheduled for 9-11am and 2-4pm on Tues/Thurs and 2-4pm on wed/fri

Well I was prepared for this cause I took a class in undergrad that was 2 hrs and 45 mins

Hey did anyone find out if they have any linkage to their Medschool? I know this program is new and its the first year.

they didnt say it was a linkage program but I would think that this would enhance your app. Call them and see.

Yeah they've never officially said there is a linkage, but:
1. Since its new, we never know what they will come up with.
2. I feel that if you make a decent MCAT and do well (GPA ~3.5+) in the program, why wouldn't you at least get an interview?

Yeah they've never officially said there is a linkage, but:
1. Since its new, we never know what they will come up with.
2. I feel that if you make a decent MCAT and do well (GPA ~3.5+) in the program, why wouldn't you at least get an interview?

I agree and since its at most 30 ppl selected for the program, then there is a greater possibility that if we do well enough we will be favorable candidates for their med school. To get an invite to complete the secondary though, you have to get at least a 24 on the MCAT. :)

For those who applied, where did you send transcripts and recommendations to? I can't find the address!

I don't even recalled sending letters.

Mercer University
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
1550 College Street
Macon, GA 31207

I don't even recalled sending letters.

Mercer University
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
1550 College Street
Macon, GA 31207

Really?! Are they not required?! And thanks for the address!!!

I just checked interfolio to double check. I did not send any letters or test scores.

I think those items are only required if you are applying to the biomedical science master program not the preclinical sciences master.

I just saw information about this program today and applied as fast as my little fingers could type... what with the deadline being tomorrow at midnight and all! :) Do those of you that have already been accepted mind sharing stat info? I guess like GPA and major. Since it's a new program, there's not a lot to compare it to. It seems like it would be a pretty good prep course for med school there, but it is just so expensive I wonder if it would be worth it.

I was accepted but I'm not sure how they calculate GPA.

Last edited:
2.95 overall gpa & bio premed. They go off the gpa on your transcript

Hey Everyone! Been accepted into the program! Now trying to figure out what to do from here.lol Any ideas on housing?!

I've been accepted too pending taking O. Chem II somewhere this summer. I took two biochems instead, because O. Chem was just so much fun. So... I'm going to think it over and figure out what's best. Exciting though!

Hey Everyone! Been accepted into the program! Now trying to figure out what to do from here.lol Any ideas on housing?!

Congrats!! Welcome to the club! :highfive:

I am going to be living in the Broadway lofts on MLK, but as far as apartments you can check out Forest Pointe, Rivoli Run, Mill Creek Run and Austin Chase. They were all on my list of places to go see when I went down there last month, but I saw the lofts first and was sold! My main issue with Macon is that a majority of the apartments are all about a 15-20 min highway drive to Mercer and having commuted 30-45 min one way, everyday in undergrad, I refused to drive more than 10 min.

Congrats!! Welcome to the club! :highfive:

I am going to be living in the Broadway lofts on MLK, but as far as apartments you can check out Forest Pointe, Rivoli Run, Mill Creek Run and Austin Chase. They were all on my list of places to go see when I went down there last month, but I saw the lofts first and was sold! My main issue with Macon is that a majority of the apartments are all about a 15-20 min highway drive to Mercer and having commuted 30-45 min one way, everyday in undergrad, I refused to drive more than 10 min.

What had you sold about the lofts? I need to go look but I just dont feel like driving down there.:-(

What had you sold about the lofts? I need to go look but I just dont feel like driving down there.:-(

Well first and foremost, just the fact that its a loft! haha Ive wanted to live in one since I found out what they were and now I have it! :cool: then came the proximity to campus (10 min local) and Downtown Macon (a couple blocks away) which is a plus. My apartment is a 2 level 2 BR/ 2 BA, perfect for me and the guy I'm rooming with who got into Mercer SOM. Rent was comparable to the other apartments.