Mercer versus Belmont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmille25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to both Mercer and Belmont. Mercer isn't fully accredited yet, but they have amazing vision. Belmont is amazing, but so expensive! I want to do acute care and go on to specialize. Please help because I'm super stressed over this decision.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just in your shoes deciding between Pitt and Chatham and it was SUPER stressful.

Here's my advice-- make a spreadsheet of everything-- prices, class size, start date, end date, number of clinicals, range of clinicals, pass rate, accreditation, research/other opportunities, etc. Everything you can possibly think of...

Then, if it's possible ask as many practicing PTs as you can- ask them if they know of either school/what they've heard. Getting as many viewpoints as you can is really helpful. I also suggest calling each school to find out about financial aid options (other than student loans).

Once you get really into your research, you will start to be able to see the pros/cons of each and make the best decision for you.

I literally was sick every day for about a month and now that I've decided I feel a million times better and finally excited about school!

If i were you I would definitely chose Belmont. I also visited and was accepted to this program. although i declined and have decided to attend another program I can't help but remember how beyond amazed I was by Belmont. There facilities are the best i've ever seen IMO better any of the top 10 programs (of which i have seen only 5 of there facilities but still). There faculty was great and students were amazing. If I were able I would probably go there, due to family being not near Nashville I have decided to exclude Belmont as an option for me :(. But seriously wow that program is great. I'm not sure about the difference in cost for mercer and Belmont. But if you can I truly believe Belmont is one of the best programs out there and you should go for it if possible, I could not possibly say enough great things about that program.
Also if If i were you I would not take a chance on an accreditation status of a school. If you are accepted to a fully accredited school that is a HUGE stress you do not need to deal with.