Merging spirituality with Psyc Grad options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cloudhidden

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in the application of meditation in clinical settings. I found the Teachers College at Columbia, but the MA does not prepare one for licensure. Does anyone have knowledge of well-thought-of programs or even recommendations for places to start looking?

Thanks!

-B

Members don't see this ad.

There are several therapies that emphasize (or use) meditation. ACT and Mindfulness come to mind. I'm not sure if there are master's programs that focus on those. Have you tried searching for programs that teach those theoretical orientations?

My school is humanistic-critical-transpersonal and we definitely cover a lot of spirituality, but more from a theoretical position than a directly clinical one. We do have a clinical track that prepares people for licensure in the Masters program, but I think the transpersonal/spiritual stuff is more in the theoretical courses. For the most part. Not that you can't take some of those with the clinical track. The professor I work with has done research and written quite a bit on childhood spirituality, for example. The school is West Georgia if you're interested.

I'm actually taking a course called Psychology of Meditation right now :) mindfulness is fascinating and I may do my thesis on it.

There are several therapies that emphasize (or use) meditation. ACT and Mindfulness come to mind. I'm not sure if there are master's programs that focus on those. Have you tried searching for programs that teach those theoretical orientations?

Chronic pain cognitive and cognitive-behavioral treatments also frequently use meditation.