Mesothelioma increase lung cancer risk?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ulikedaggers

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know asbestos is associated with bronchogenic carcinoma and mesothelioma, but does mesothelioma in itself increase risk of lung malignancy?

Members don't see this ad.

I know asbestos is associated with bronchogenic carcinoma and mesothelioma, but does mesothelioma in itself increase risk of lung malignancy?

Mesothelioma is a type of lung malignancy. If the question you are asking is does mesothelioma predispose to bronchogenic carcinoma, then the answer would be (as far as we know) no.

Reactions: 1 user
did you mean asbestos? Asbestos increases risk for both bronchogenic and mesothieloma with bronchogenic > mesothieloma in terms of rates/risks. However, mesotheiloma is so rare (literally 1 in a million I believe), that any increase is significant.

No, they are two different malignancies (Pleura & Lung).
Also, cigarette smoking does increase the risk of lung cancer in workers with asbestos exposure but NOT of mesothelioma.
Interestingly, family members of workers with asbestos exposure are at increased risk for lung cancer.
Other cancers with increased risk in workers exposed to asbestos are peritoneal mesothelioma and laryngeal cancer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
did you mean asbestos? Asbestos increases risk for both bronchogenic and mesothieloma with bronchogenic > mesothieloma in terms of rates/risks. However, mesotheiloma is so rare (literally 1 in a million I believe), that any increase is significant.

No, I meant does someone with mesothelioma (due to asbestos or not) have a higher risk of developing some kind of lung cancer.

So person A and person B both have long-term exposure to asbestos. Person A develops mesothelioma, person B does not. Is person A more likely to develop bronchogenic carinoma (or any other lung cancer) than person B?

I guess I'm asking if it's like GERD -> Barrett's -> esophageal adenocarcinoma. Person A has GERD, person B has Barrett's secondary to GERD. Person B is more likely to have esophageal adenocarcinoma tomorrow than person A is.

No, I meant does someone with mesothelioma (due to asbestos or not) have a higher risk of developing some kind of lung cancer.

So person A and person B both have long-term exposure to asbestos. Person A develops mesothelioma, person B does not. Is person A more likely to develop bronchogenic carinoma (or any other lung cancer) than person B?

I guess I'm asking if it's like GERD -> Barrett's -> esophageal adenocarcinoma. Person A has GERD, person B has Barrett's secondary to GERD. Person B is more likely to have esophageal adenocarcinoma tomorrow than person A is.

No. Mesothelioma is not a precursor to lung cancer, whereas Barrett's reflects intestinal metaplasia (due to chronic exposure to acid) that can progress to adenocarcinoma.

Bronchogenic carinoma involves lung.

Mesothelioma involves pleura.

They are not related except that they both can be caused by asbestos exposure just like Peritoneal mesothelioma and laryngeal carcinoma.

Last edited: