Messenger Bag for Anesthesiologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cognitus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just started residency and I'm too old for the student/backpack look. Anybody on here have good recommendations for the best messenger bags for anesthesiologists? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Just started residency and I'm too old for the student/backpack look. Anybody on here have good recommendations for the best messenger bags for anesthesiologists? Thanks.

This is a difficult question to answer in general but, when it's specifically for you, after all you've posted on this forum, the answer is easy:

mba_not_bs_cinch_sack.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Check with the hospitals you work at. Here they don't allow you to bring one in.

Saddleback Leather

Their quality has supposedly declined, but they make awesome bags.

This is a difficult question to answer in general but, when it's specifically for you, after all you've posted on this forum, the answer is easy:

mba_not_bs_cinch_sack.jpg
I can't with you

I realized during my CA-3 year I was too old for the backpack look myself. I picked up a black leather kenneth cole bag on sale for about 100 bucks. Looks great for the price.

Being in a no bag system, what do you put in there? I haven't needed one so far. The only thing I carry is a clipboard at the hospitals with paper charting.

I used to do the messenger bag thing but I found a small gym duffel bag to be more comfortable and have more space. Puma makes a bag that is relatively sturdy and cheap....you can get it at target. Plus it reminds me of when I used to play high school jv lacrosse. Felt like such a baddass with my lacrosse team duffel bag during sophomore year lol.

Anytime I saw someone sporting one of those f_ag bags in residency I IMMEDIATELY made it a point to never befriend them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Huh. That's exactly how we felt about the thespian crew lol. Although they did put on a good version of the music man.

Do you mean a bag to carry around the OR? I meant as a bag to carry to and from work...What would you put in a bag to carry around the OR?

What are you carrying around that you need a bag for?

Since the infection control gestapo told me I couldn't have a stethoscope all I carry around is a pen and a cell phone in my ill-fitting hospital issue scrubs.

I'm a stool sitter so.....iPad, MacBook Air, newspaper, chargers, snacks, hydration, billing tickets, etc.

Tried Chrome messenger bag for awhile but backpack just works better.

What are you carrying around that you need a bag for?

Since the infection control gestapo told me I couldn't have a stethoscope all I carry around is a pen and a cell phone in my ill-fitting hospital issue scrubs.
What???!!!
A stethoscope is mission essential gear for an anesthesiologist. This is one time where I would pick the fight and take it all the way to the CO as necessary.
You're walking to the Caf and there's an overhead code/airway/etc. called, now you're running to the ICU, ED, floor/XO's office, etc unarmed with a valuable tool that you may very well need to do the job.
Ridiculous. Beat that dumb ass to death with their clipboard and then intubate their esophagus and blame the lack of a stethoscope.

Reactions: 1 user
That is actually one of my pet peeves,too. 90+% of my colleagues look ashamed when wearing a stethoscope, because they are not "fleas". I have a $200 stethoscope which picks up sounds through layers of insulation, and I'd rather put a glove on it than use their stupid infection control children's toys.

They should ban ties, not stethoscopes!

adca1038ddbf8c36af4f53942ed98679.jpg

Don't plan to be packing your gym clothes but if you're looking for a slim work bag for ipad, a few protein bars, stethoscope/pager etc, and a handful of folders and/or a laptop...this is your bag. No, it's my bag...baby.

What???!!!
A stethoscope is mission essential gear for an anesthesiologist. This is one time where I would pick the fight and take it all the way to the CO as necessary.
You're walking to the Caf and there's an overhead code/airway/etc. called, now you're running to the ICU, ED, floor/XO's office, etc unarmed with a valuable tool that you may very well need to do the job.
Ridiculous. Beat that dumb ass to death with their clipboard and then intubate their esophagus and blame the lack of a stethoscope.
No no no no, you see, a stethoscope is a vector for infection. So spake the foul beasts from CMS at their last visit. Every patient has their own (terrible) plastic toy stethoscope now.

(This is at the locums gig. I'm still allowed to use one of my good stethoscopes at the military hospital. CMS isn't welcome there ... I'm pretty sure the gate guards are allowed to shoot anyone from CMS on sight.)

And I think that the CMS are vectors for infection, also known as parasites.

One group here in town is known for the ubiquitous use of a roller bag....visualize airport carry-on style