Mexican med student wanting to go to med school in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gabriel81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 32 and still haven't started!!!!! Hopefully it'll be 2007 or 2008 at the latest. Good luck:D

I already finished my 6 years of medical school in Monterrey Mexico and now I have to leave before I graduate because things in my country have gone bad, if I am applying to Medical school, how hard is it to go in?? do I need pre med?? can I just take m cat?!?!?! I want to be a Doctor, I really need some orientation here. By the 32 is a great age I think no one is old to accomplish a dream. Thanks for any help:)

Members don't see this ad.

I started med school last month. I'm currently 39. No, I'm not the oldest in my class. :)

What medical school did you assist to?? thanks and congratulations!!
My name is Gabriel I am 29 years old and I live in Monterrey, Mexico. Here I studied six years of medical school which include: 2 years of basic science (embryology, pharmacology, anatomy, chemistry, genetics, histology, physiology 1 2 & 3 and it's lab, neuroanatomy & it's lab, microbiology lab & theory, legal medicine, nutrition and the rest of the basics. Then I went for 3 more years to the clinical rotations which include general surgery,trauma, ER, Cardiology, Pulmonary, gastroenterology, pediatrics, growth and development, endocrinology, rheumatology, radiology, urology and nephrology, gynecology & obstetrics, infectology, immunology, dermatology, otorhinolaryngology, hematology, ophthalmology, psychiatry, Neurology, public health.

now I need to start medical school in the United States because in my country things aren't save anymore and I really want to become a doctor even if I have to start all over again thanks a lot!! :)

What medical school did you assist to?? thanks and congratulations!!
My name is Gabriel I am 29 years old and I live in Monterrey, Mexico. Here I studied six years of medical school which include: 2 years of basic science (embryology, pharmacology, anatomy, chemistry, genetics, histology, physiology 1 2 & 3 and it's lab, neuroanatomy & it's lab, microbiology lab & theory, legal medicine, nutrition and the rest of the basics. Then I went for 3 more years to the clinical rotations which include general surgery,trauma, ER, Cardiology, Pulmonary, gastroenterology, pediatrics, growth and development, endocrinology, rheumatology, radiology, urology and nephrology, gynecology & obstetrics, infectology, immunology, dermatology, otorhinolaryngology, hematology, ophthalmology, psychiatry, Neurology, public health.

now I need to start medical school in the United States because in my country things aren't save anymore and I really want to become a doctor even if I have to start all over again thanks a lot!! :)

Hey, I was born in Durango and immigrated to Texas a few years back. Cant say I am in your shoes, per se, but I do think I have some insight into your situation. I dont know if starting from 0 is the best route. I have heard that the medicals chool in monterrey (Im guessing El Tec) is highly regarded as a top school that med schools like in the US. If you have already spent all that time studying and getting your degree then try to do the exams. One obstacle I see is I don't know how prepared you are to take the exams and you are only allowed to take these once, if you pass; so want to get the best score possible that first time. If you are set on starting all over, like the other person said, be prepared for a long road ahead. I've met plenty of people older than you, so age should not be a big factor. However, its going to be expensive and time-consuming process and the indebtedness is a problem for all of us; but if those aren't a big problem for you, then by all means, do it. You will get great training, especially for your boards and with your previous experience, you'll be way ahead of everyone else in your class. Good luck and if you need any help, solo hay que preguntar.