MFM Fellowship Application 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anmelie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied pretty late in the game and only sent in my applications last month. Am not too optimistic about my chances. Does anyone know if most of the invites have been sent out already?

Members don't see this ad.

We haven't even started going through the application yet. Generally invites roll out in June-July. When I applied (age ago :)) some invites came as late as August.

Good luck!

Thanks Global! :xf:Am keeping my fingers crossed then. I guess I just want to see what the outcome of this whole process is so if I don't do so well this year, I can start working on beefing up my CV some more. What kind of people have caught the interest of your program in the past years? Do most applicants have publications? I only ask because I just have a poster on my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on 1) letters of recommendation and 2) research activity. With the latter, publications mean the most as it shows that the applicant has already gone through the process of hypothesis generation to peer review… however, posters are great as well. Just be ready to speak about your project in a brief, coherent manner. A favorite question for me is to always ask the applicant to discuss the hypothesis with me. That is usually when you can weed out the folks that padded the CV with papers/posters they didn't do much on.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! Will keep that in mind. Anyone else up for MFM application this year? :confused:

I'm applying. :)

Thanks for the reply Colonsay! Its always good to know you have company when the going gets tough! Am applying to mostly East coast programs because of personal reasons. Hopefully, will see you on the interview trail.:D

I've applied too. I have, no publications and practically no research other than my senior resident project, which is in progress.

I'm just hoping for the best!

Yeah, me too! Its the waiting part that's killing me. Brings me back to the good old residency application memories :confused: Why did I decide to do this again? *boink on head*

I'm starting to get worried now, are all the invitations for interviews out? Should I expect no more interviews here onwards?

I haven't heard from programs in a while... Also, those who reject you, do they send you a mail/letter something to let you know?

My invites are slowing down a little, too, but from what I've heard programs will keep offering invites through the end of July - at least, that's what our current first year fellow says.

Does anyone know which programs have internal candidates this year? I've heard Duke does, but I haven't heard anything else yet.

The university of Texas Houston also has an internal candidate..

They should pull themselves out of the pool and let candidates know before we spend a fortune applying to all these places..

I just emailed PDF's, and asked them to confirm that they were able to open the files.

I applied in about Mid May and it was fine. Only tip I have is that if you are going to list a research project, make sure you know it in and out. It's probably better to list a few projects you know well, rather than try and have a page full of stuff that you can't remember the details. Good luck! Feel free to PM me with any questions :)

I applied in about Mid May and it was fine. Only tip I have is that if you are going to list a research project, make sure you know it in and out. It's probably better to list a few projects you know well, rather than try and have a page full of stuff that you can't remember the details. Good luck! Feel free to PM me with any questions :)

I agree with this 100%. If you don't know what you're talking about, they will see right through you.

Quick question regarding research experience on the application.

I had a abstract that I presented as a oral presentation at a regional, national, and international conference. I later created a manuscript that was published in a peer reviewed journal.

Is it considered padding/improper if I listed each thing on my application? They were each presented at separate/distinct conferences but it was the same abstract.

List the abstract title and following that list the conferences in order. Perception is big in this game and you don't want anyone to misread it even though your intentions were good. The peer reviewed manuscript will trump it all.

anyone have any thoughts on how soon after application submission interview offers should be expected?

Depends on the program, but interviews typically will start in late June and go through mid September.