MFT vs MSW and undergrad question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cascade_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently moved to the Salt Lake City area and I'm interested in becoming a counselor/ therapist of some sort. I will need to attend school locally and BYU is close and offers what I think is a well regarded MFT program. There is also a MSW program offered at Utah State and The University of Utah.

I am still in the early stages if research, but so far it appears that MFT would be a better fit for what I want to do. I am just worried that the MFT will limit me. I do not plan on moving out of state, but you never know.

So in addition to MFT vs MSW, I would also like to hear opinions on what undergrad degree I should complete. I have about two years completed in an unrelated field. The easiest degree to get would be through BYU- Idaho. They offer an online Marriage and Family degree. It is inexpensive, easy and the fact that is is online makes it easy to work around my children's schedule. I'm just not sure it is rigorous enough. Would a BSW degree be better? Psychology would be another option, but I don't know that I'm up for it.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

If you do a BSW, then most MSW programs will admit you as advanced standing, which means your MSW would only take one year. Basically, bachelor+master in 5 years. As for MFT, I don't know anything about that, sorry!

Reactions: 1 user
I'd be wary of a "marriage and family" degree. What is that supposed to lead to? I know that pre-med is its own thing, but "pre-MFT" seems pretty sketchy.

Reactions: 1 user