MG engineering student starting on neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FP_SE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a 21 years old mechanical engineering student and I have myasthenia gravis. I was diagnosed with MG last june and obviously, it has changed my life. It just makes it a little bit harder but not impossible.

I'm currently in the sixth semester out of nine and I'm considering about getting a specialization in a field related to healthcare sciences, I've wanted this even before I developed MG. At first I wanted to specialize in biomechanics but due to obvious reasons I'm re-evaluating that option.

What I wanted to ask you is about books. What books on neurology do you recommend? Or even, what books on general medicine do you recommend me to then go further with neurology or neurosciences?

I understand the concepts and definitions but, just like engineering, medicine has it's own universe. And for my purposes, I would like to eventually investigate and study MG, what specialization you think would fit there?

Regards.

Members don't see this ad.

try switching over to biomedical engineering or at the very least taking a few classes in biology: molecular bio & biochem specifically. this may also require you to take organic chem... which would require you to take inorganic chemistry...

the text we used for neuroscience in medical school is

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Neuroscience-Lippincott-Williams-Wilkins/dp/0781783836

you may find it enlightening or you may find it incredibly dull, but from where you're at, you need to start from step one.