Program-Specific Info / Q's MGH Institute of Health Professions OTD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pectoralis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just got my acceptance this morning to MGHIHP! I couldn't be more excited. I fell in love with the school after the interview/tour. Is anybody else planning on going there?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,

I just got my acceptance this morning to MGHIHP! I couldn't be more excited. I fell in love with the school after the interview/tour. Is anybody else planning on going there?

Pectoralis, I got mine too! I am beyond excited. I absolutely loved the program! Are you for sure going to be attending MGH? I am leaning that way, but I still have to hear back from a couple schools. But I think I will be heading to Boston!

Last edited:
Congrats! I have a couple of interviews next week, but IHP is my top choice! I'm a little hesitant about the cost, but damn everything there was amazing. I assume you were at the interview a few weeks ago?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! I have a couple of interviews next week, but IHP is my top choice! I'm a little hesitant about the cost, but damn everything there was amazing. I assume you were at the interview a few weeks ago?

Yes, I was at the interview. I'm a little hesitant because of cost and because of distance. I love Boston, but it will be a big move for me since I am from NC. Will you be relocating?

Also received notice of acceptance today, waiting on a response from one other school so I can weigh out my options. Congrats to everyone who was accepted :)

Yes, I was at the interview. I'm a little hesitant because of cost and because of distance. I love Boston, but it will be a big move for me since I am from NC. Will you be relocating?
I asked about the interview because it was my first group interview and I did not think it went very well.

Haha yeah, I will becoming from the Northwest. Such a big change!

I was also accepted yesterday morning. I couldn't be more excited or nervous. Mostly about the price tag that comes with the program and the cost of living /relocation to Boston. AND I have already sent in my deposit so ik this is definitely happening. My fiancé is also going to school in the area so at least we'll be able to split rent, but it still seems like a lot. For those of you who are planning on relocating to the area, how do you plan to handle it??

I DID fall in love with the charm of the campus in the middle of such a huge city..and the facility is just gorgeous!!! Really I'm so lucky to have been chosen and can't wait to meet my future classmates. Congrats all!
And good luck to those still awaiting replies .

What do you think the scholarships will look like? I was under the impression a lot of money exist at that school. I don't want to get my hopes but, I was thinking the scholarships might be significant for being the first class.

Thoughts?

What do you think the scholarships will look like? I was under the impression a lot of money exist at that school. I don't want to get my hopes but, I was thinking the scholarships might be significant for being the first class.

Thoughts?

The scholarships should be substantial amount, if I recall correctly all accepted students are considered for them. Since there are only about 25-30 accepted students they should be able to provide a good amount of assistance.

What part of the NW are you from? Seattle here.

Thoughts?

I have just received my scholarship letter. It was def substantial about 60%. Huge relief! You all should check your email. Looks like they like to give notices in groups. Good luck...

I have just received my scholarship letter. It was def substantial about 60%. Huge relief! You all should check your email. Looks like they like to give notices in groups. Good luck...
I felt dumb because right after I made this thread I got an email from them. Mine is about 50% of the cost! you must be smarter than me :p

Have you guys/gals figured out your housing situation? This is going to be a major move for me coming from the Seattle area and I have no idea about the Charelstown area, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you guys/gals figured out your housing situation? This is going to be a major move for me coming from the Seattle area and I have no idea about the Charelstown area, lol.

I've been on craigslist constantly since I got my acceptance. I hear most students are in the Allston/Brighton area. It looks nice but I think the Somerville, Malden, Medford area MIGHT be A better commute (for public trans) since MGHIHP isn't really near any of the other big schools. Also it doesn't look as expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm seriously considering an apartment near/on the campus; though it's more expensive I think I'd be willing to pay the extra for the convenience lol.

So, anybody need a roommate?!

No sorry :-( heading to boston w/ my fiancé and puppy in toe. Lol

Anybody thinking about the Chelsea area. It's within 10min drive accessible by bus/red line and looks somewhat reasonable for the proximity. Like 1200-1450......

Hi everyone!
I just officially enrolled at MGH I'm so excited! Can't wait to meet everyone. MakeMeOT, I'm from the area and I would be careful about Chelsea, make sure you walk around the neighborhood a little first, there are some nice apartments and areas of Chelsea but there are other parts that aren't so great. That pretty much goes for most of the neighborhoods in Boston.

Hi everyone!
I just officially enrolled at MGH I'm so excited! Can't wait to meet everyone. MakeMeOT, I'm from the area and I would be careful about Chelsea, make sure you walk around the neighborhood a little first, there are some nice apartments and areas of Chelsea but there are other parts that aren't so great. That pretty much goes for most of the neighborhoods in Boston.

Yea I've heard from looking at some mixed reviews around the area, thanks for the heads up. Honeslty, I'm not SUPER worried. I've lived in some "rough"areas in NJ while I did undergrad (downtown New Brunswick/Elizabeth if anyone is familiar). I guess it's just about being smart you know. To me.. It's a little troubling but worth it. I've put in an application with the new construction on Gerrish ave, if accepted ill definitely take a trip out there to sign the lease(I live in Buffalo now). I guess I can make my final decision then. Know anything about that street alleyoop??

SN: Anyone interested in a FB group for admitted students ?

Yea I've heard from looking at some mixed reviews around the area, thanks for the heads up. Honeslty, I'm not SUPER worried. I've lived in some "rough"areas in NJ while I did undergrad (downtown New Brunswick/Elizabeth if anyone is familiar). I guess it's just about being smart you know. To me.. It's a little troubling but worth it. I've put in an application with the new construction on Gerrish ave, if accepted ill definitely take a trip out there to sign the lease(I live in Buffalo now). I guess I can make my final decision then. Know anything about that street alleyoop??

SN: Anyone interested in a FB group for admitted students ?

@MakeMeOT There is a FB group that someone made a few days ago. It's under "MGH IHP OTD 2017!" :)

And @alleyoop891, Since you are from the area, what neighborhood (area) would you recommend looking for housing? Considering the commute time using public transportation and cost of living. I need some advice desperately, its all a bit overwhelming.

No problem MakeMeOT, moving to a new city is definitely tricky, but you're right it really is just about being smart. I don't know anything about Gerrish Street specifically, but I can tell you that there aren't really any t stops in Chelsea, so you'd probably have to take the bus if you weren't planning on driving.

tnsnc, that's kind of a hard question. The cost of living in Boston is kind of high, like most cities, but there are some areas that aren't bad price wise. I would recommend looking for a roommate though, if possible. I would also say to look along the orange and green lines of the t, so with price in mind, the Fenway/Kenmore area, Allston, Brighton, and the Back Bay for starters. The Fenway/Kenmore area is pretty nice and its about 20 minutes on the t to get to north station, where you can either take the Partners shuttle to MGH or you can walk (its about a 15 minute walk) Allston and Brighton are further out on the green line, but both are decent pricewise, its just a longer commute. The Navy Yard is a nice area, and the commute would basically be nonexistent, but it might be hard to find a place within your price range. Brookline is another really nice area, but again, rent is usually higher. I hope this helps! I'm in no way an expert, but I grew up/live right outside of Boston and I'm looking at moving closer myself, so I'm definitely willing to help haha.

No problem MakeMeOT, moving to a new city is definitely tricky, but you're right it really is just about being smart. I don't know anything about Gerrish Street specifically, but I can tell you that there aren't really any t stops in Chelsea, so you'd probably have to take the bus if you weren't planning on driving.

tnsnc, that's kind of a hard question. The cost of living in Boston is kind of high, like most cities, but there are some areas that aren't bad price wise. I would recommend looking for a roommate though, if possible. I would also say to look along the orange and green lines of the t, so with price in mind, the Fenway/Kenmore area, Allston, Brighton, and the Back Bay for starters. The Fenway/Kenmore area is pretty nice and its about 20 minutes on the t to get to north station, where you can either take the Partners shuttle to MGH or you can walk (its about a 15 minute walk) Allston and Brighton are further out on the green line, but both are decent pricewise, its just a longer commute. The Navy Yard is a nice area, and the commute would basically be nonexistent, but it might be hard to find a place within your price range. Brookline is another really nice area, but again, rent is usually higher. I hope this helps! I'm in no way an expert, but I grew up/live right outside of Boston and I'm looking at moving closer myself, so I'm definitely willing to help haha.

Would you recommend those Atlas Lofts in Chelsea? I'm kind of strapped for time since classes begin in June and I won't be able to make a trip out there to actually any apartments prior to classes starting.

Would you recommend those Atlas Lofts in Chelsea? I'm kind of strapped for time since classes begin in June and I won't be able to make a trip out there to actually any apartments prior to classes starting.

I looked up those lofts, they seem awesome. For what you would pay you get a lot of stuff that you might have a hard time finding in other apartments in Boston. I know someone who lives in Chelsea and what they said is that this particular area of Chelsea has a lot of older buildings that are being remodeled so the area is up and coming I guess, but it's not quite there yet. I would suggest calling a realtor in the area if you're not working with one already, and I also know of another apartment complex in Chelsea called 1 North that's in a better area. Ultimately it's completely up to you, and the Atlas lofts would be perfect if you're planning on driving to campus, it's just walking around in the surrounding area that might be tricky if you're planning on taking the bus and the t.

Yea I started looking at atlas lofts and ended up on their sister site (box living district). The apartments look beautifuI BUT it's chelsea so u never know how the immediate area is. I was planning on taking a trip there next month to sign the lease. If I got to the neighborhood and felt like it was really bad I'd just use that time in Boston to find somewhere else. Hopefully One North now that u mention it :)

At least if we end up as neighbors we'll have someone to walk to/from the bus with!! Safety in numbers right???

I'm glad you guys posted about the apartments in Chelsea. I've been having the hardest time finding something and those are very enticing!

Hey has anyone received their financial aid award letter yet? I'm trying to figure out my apartment budget but it's kind of difficult without it lol. Just confirmed my enrollment today! Exciting.

No nothing here. I'm pretty sure the $20,500 is guaranteed every 2 semesters tho. It's everything else that is up in the air. Have you filed your FAFSA?

No nothing here. I'm pretty sure the $20,500 is guaranteed every 2 semesters tho. It's everything else that is up in the air. Have you filed your FAFSA?
yep, everything's done. just waiting on the award letter.

Just sent me notification that they received my FAFSA.. award letter should follow shortly hopefully.

Hi all! Congrats on your acceptance to an excellent institution.
I am a 2nd year DPT student at MGH IHP and I am looking for 2 new roommates. My apartment is quite spacious for Boston living and affordable for students. Please message me if you're interested in seeing pictures or talking more. thanks!

Bump.....

Anyone new accept their spot??
Don't forget to join the fb group convo also ..MGH IHP OTD CLASS OF 2017

:)

i was wondering if any of those accepted would be willing to post their stats so that i could discern my chances of admission!! thanks guys i would really appreciate it!

bump.

To anyone currently in the program, how do you like it? Are you happy with your decision?

I applied this year and haven't heard a peep from them on timeline or anything other that confirmation they have received all my materials. I didn't even realize they did interviews until I saw you guys talking about it at the beginning of this thread!

bump.

To anyone currently in the program, how do you like it? Are you happy with your decision?

I applied this year and haven't heard a peep from them on timeline or anything other that confirmation they have received all my materials. I didn't even realize they did interviews until I saw you guys talking about it at the beginning of this thread!

We just finished finals last week and just received our grades. They should be contacting qualified applicants sometime soon with invitations for in-person interviews in February.

@rsOTD11 Thanks for you reply. I am just about to send them some updates to my application, so I guess the timing will be good w/ interview invites going out soon.

Do you mind sharing any feedback about your first 2 semesters?

Hello All! A couple days before christmas I got an email from MGH saying that I have an interview on February 6th. I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. I was wondering if anyone already in the program could shed some light on the interview, what kind of questions did they ask? Also I saw a couple posts stating that they got 50-60% in scholarship money, do all students get a sizable scholarship? Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hello All! A couple days before christmas I got an email from MGH saying that I have an interview on February 6th. I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. I was wondering if anyone already in the program could shed some light on the interview, what kind of questions did they ask? Also I saw a couple posts stating that they got 50-60% in scholarship money, do all students get a sizable scholarship? Thank you!

I'll also be attending the February 6th interview! I'm so excited! See you there!

Hey everyone,
I am a current student in the OTD program here at MGH and I will actually see you all on interview day, as I am volunteering to help throughout the day. Many of us from our class will be there to answer questions that you might have and give you some insight as a current student in the program.
As far as interview day goes, last year we had group interviews. However, it could be different this year. Questions vary by who you are interviewed by. My advice, just be yourself and know your interests and goals. :)
As for scholarships - the scholarships within our class ranged very widely depending on many factors. I am not sure what scholarships will be like for the incoming class, but last year they addressed scholarships on interview day during the info session.
Hope this helps!
Looking forward to see you all soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Applying next year and so nervous/excited! Good luck to everyone on the 6th!

Hey everyone,
I am a current student in the OTD program here at MGH and I will actually see you all on interview day, as I am volunteering to help throughout the day. Many of us from our class will be there to answer questions that you might have and give you some insight as a current student in the program.
As far as interview day goes, last year we had group interviews. However, it could be different this year. Questions vary by who you are interviewed by. My advice, just be yourself and know your interests and goals. :)
As for scholarships - the scholarships within our class ranged very widely depending on many factors. I am not sure what scholarships will be like for the incoming class, but last year they addressed scholarships on interview day during the info session.
Hope this helps!
Looking forward to see you all soon.

Thanks! I look forward to meeting you in a few weeks :)

Wait listed. Current students, do you know of anyone who got admitted from the wait list last year? I realize that each year is different but I would just like an idea of what my chances are.

Last edited:
I just got my acceptance to MGH today for June 2015!!! I'm so excited! Has anyone else heard back? I'll be accepting their offer and want to see who else is planning on attending. I'm from California, so this will be a HUGE change of scenery for me!

Reactions: 3 users
I just got my acceptance to MGH today for June 2015!!! I'm so excited! Has anyone else heard back? I'll be accepting their offer and want to see who else is planning on attending. I'm from California, so this will be a HUGE change of scenery for me!

Congrats on your acceptance!

I also was accepted! I am waiting to hear back about scholarships before I confirm. But this was my top choice :)

@Kris00 I think you have a pretty good chance. There were 70 people at the interview and 35 in the class. So that means more than half will receive acceptance letters because not everyone will attend

Congrats @idontdance !

And thanks, I hope a spot does open up for me! MGHIHP is my top choice. When is your decision/deposit due by?