MGH Neurosurgery SubI - My experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bennybrak

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finished my rotation at MGH not long ago. I guess it's my turn to give back to future sub-Is. I would start off by saying that contrary to what many believe, MGH is a very friendly program to medical students and a great place to rotate. I haven't had a taste elsewhere (will be rotating at Inova Fairfax Hospital soon) so i can't compare, but the experience i had was just awesome. If you want to help in a procedure, just ask and they'll allow you to do it.

What i have to say is that, be at the OR as much as possible and try to assist the faculty you'd like to get LORs from, during surgeries more and go to their clinics. You just have to ask them when they have their clinics. Try to take a lot of calls because it helps you to know the residents better and you learn a lot from the PGY1 and 2 and that also helps in your evaluation as well as tips for the overall rotation.

Never miss the clinic day with Dr. Martuza(if you have a teaching session scheduled on that day, reschedule or miss it!) Try and go to Dr. Curry's clinic since he writes the evaluation, now. Try to give a case presentation before you leave. You may proceed to do a case report on any interesting case before you leave, the attending will help you publish it.
Prepare really well, using the bible before teaching sessions, especially before you meet Dr. Ogilvy, because he can ask you a lot of tough questions you don't expect him to ask.

Make friends with other subIs esp on Gen Surgery and plastic surgery and share experiences, it's very refreshing.

Supernice attendings go to Dr Curry, Dr. Nahed and Dr. Coumans
Supernice residents go to Dr. Agarwalla(PK), and Dr. Pricola(KP), Dr. Navid and Dr. Dunn

Take a lot of pictures, let the nurses and patients love you and i assure you, you'll have a great rotation!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Finished my rotation at MGH not long ago. I guess it's my turn to give back to future sub-Is. I would start off by saying that contrary to what many believe, MGH is a very friendly program to medical students and a great place to rotate. I haven't had a taste elsewhere (will be rotating at Inova Fairfax Hospital soon) so i can't compare, but the experience i had was just awesome. If you want to help in a procedure, just ask and they'll allow you to do it.

What i have to say is that, be at the OR as much as possible and try to assist the faculty you'd like to get LORs from, during surgeries more and go to their clinics. You just have to ask them when they have their clinics. Try to take a lot of calls because it helps you to know the residents better and you learn a lot from the PGY1 and 2 and that also helps in your evaluation as well as tips for the overall rotation.

Never miss the clinic day with Dr. Martuza(if you have a teaching session scheduled on that day, reschedule or miss it!) Try and go to Dr. Curry's clinic since he writes the evaluation, now. Try to give a case presentation before you leave. You may proceed to do a case report on any interesting case before you leave, the attending will help you publish it.
Prepare really well, using the bible before teaching sessions, especially before you meet Dr. Ogilvy, because he can ask you a lot of tough questions you don't expect him to ask.

Make friends with other subIs esp on Gen Surgery and plastic surgery and share experiences, it's very refreshing.

Supernice attendings go to Dr Curry, Dr. Nahed and Dr. Coumans
Supernice residents go to Dr. Agarwalla(PK), and Dr. Pricola(KP), Dr. Navid and Dr. Dunn

Take a lot of pictures, let the nurses and patients love you and i assure you, you'll have a great rotation!

Wow.. Thanks for the advice! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Because she will "happy meet neurosurgeon man". :D

lol! That's funny! I'm sure she has other interesting reasons why she guessed i'll put my age on a public forum. Anyhow, my age is not my top secret:D , just wondering why she's interested

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
She will love you long time