MGH Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nomattic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for any current or past MGH students who were awarded a merit scholarship.

I was fortunate enough to be offered an acceptance with a scholarship for an undisclosed amount. The letter states that the amount will be disclosed in the formal letter I receive in about a week. MGH is not my first choice due solely to price of the program, however, this merit scholarship could be a total game-changer if it's substantial since I loved everything else about the school.

I have to make some decisions about deposits before I hear my total scholarship amount, so I was hoping any scholarship recipients could tell me how much these scholarships usually amount to (even a ballpark figure would be helpful). Just wanna know if we're talkin' ~$100 or $20,000+, if ya get what I'm asking.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I saw that. The Knowles Scholarship is to promote diversity and is a full ride (sweet!). I was awarded a merit scholarship which is different, but if MGH wants to make that a full ride they know where to find me! :) From the email it sounded partial, just hoping to find out how much they're offering as soon as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know for sure, but I am hoping it's a significant amount too. I remember them saying during the information session that they forego giving out many scholarships in favor of giving out a few that can really make a difference to each recipient. Were you told the same thing during your session?

I don't know for sure, but I am hoping it's a significant amount too. I remember them saying during the information session that they forego giving out many scholarships in favor of giving out a few that can really make a difference to each recipient. Were you told the same thing during your session?

I definitely remember them mentioning the Knowles diversity scholarship but not much about the merit based. Would it be in poor taste to call and ask in light of the time constraint I'm under? I feel like it'd be an unprofessional move. Not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, so to speak, but the amount is gonna make all the difference.

They might be able to give you a general idea. I was there on Friday and they said it takes about a week because they have to work out with the Financial Aid Office exactly how much money they are able to disburse. They didn't discuss the Knowles scholarship specifically and seemed to be talking more about merit scholarships when they mentioned the limited number. However, I'm not sure if all the merit scholarships are for an equal amount or how the details work. I think if you call and word your question well it should not be a problem. Or, if you're not comfortable asking, couldn't you deposit at only your top choice in the meantime?

I definitely could just send in that deposit. I was originally hesitant because I'm kinda broke and giving up $750 would probably cause me to have a stroke. I just found out that the deposit at my top choice is refundable up until April 1st, so looks like the time constraint is no longer an issue. At this point I'm just dying to know how much it's for already!

Would either of you mind sharing how much you were awarded for your merit scholarship? I have an interview at MGH in a couple weeks and I'm wondering what any potential financial aid might be. I'm certainly not expecting a scholarship, but knowing how much they give out will at least help shed light on how realistic attending the program will be.

I can't remember the exact amount but it was somewhere between 50-60k, to be dispersed in chunks each semester contingent upon meeting some minimum level of academic achievement. They told us during interviews that 5 students would receive a partial academic scholarship and one person would get a diversity scholarship, which is a full ride! I remember being told that I received an academic scholarship in my acceptance letter, but the exact amount wasn't disclosed until about a week later on the portal.

I agree with nomattic... I am currently attending MGH IHP and am on a merit scholarship for 50K (I also have an outside scholarship that was awarded for 20K, but that was not from MGH IHP). I believe there are 5 of us total (out of 70 students) on the 50K merit scholarship, and 1 on the diversity scholarship. Funds may vary from year to year based on tuition and based on the budget, but I think 50-60K is an accurate estimate. I found that MGH IHP was one of the few programs that actually offered scholarships, and they believe that it is more beneficial to offer a few students significant chunks of money, than to offer a lot of students only $1,000 or $2,000.

Wow that's great! Congrats to you both, nice work. That would make tuition more than fair. My interview is next Saturday and I can't wait to learn more about the program. Thanks for the responses!

Yes, tuition is very bearable with the scholarship! I feel like I am getting an excellent education for a super affordable price, which is the best of both worlds to me. I am actually helping out next Saturday with some of the interview set up -- feel free to message me afterwards if you still have questions about the program. Good luck!

I agree with nomattic... I am currently attending MGH IHP and am on a merit scholarship for 50K (I also have an outside scholarship that was awarded for 20K, but that was not from MGH IHP). I believe there are 5 of us total (out of 70 students) on the 50K merit scholarship, and 1 on the diversity scholarship. Funds may vary from year to year based on tuition and based on the budget, but I think 50-60K is an accurate estimate. I found that MGH IHP was one of the few programs that actually offered scholarships, and they believe that it is more beneficial to offer a few students significant chunks of money, than to offer a lot of students only $1,000 or $2,000.
May I ask what that outside scholarship was?

It was actually a private 4 year scholarship that I was awarded in high school. I graduated from undergraduate early and was able to roll over the remaining funds to help pay for PT school. Unfortunately, I haven't found many scholarships exclusively for PT school :[

It was actually a private 4 year scholarship that I was awarded in high school. I graduated from undergraduate early and was able to roll over the remaining funds to help pay for PT school. Unfortunately, I haven't found many scholarships exclusively for PT school :[
The lack of PT scholarships is pretty disappointing. Smart of you to carry over your one from high school!