MHA admissions Fall '14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied to, and was accepted, at Kentucky, GWU, and Cornell. Officially committed to Cornell today, couldn't be more excited to join the Sloan Program! Anybody else headed to Ithaca?

There's a very good chance I might be attending Cornell. What made you choose Cornell?

Members don't see this ad.

unc

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What schools are people here deciding between?
Admitted to GW, Georgetown, UNC and Pitt...waiting to hear back from JHU.

Currently deciding between UNC and GW. JHU will be a top choice too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys

I have an interview at Ohio State this Friday for the MHA program. Anyone else interview here and have any tips/advice?
Still waiting to hear back from Pitt and GWU.

Any ideas as to when I can expect to hear back from Ohio State? I interviewed with them several weeks ago and it's been radio silence ever since

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a very good chance I might be attending Cornell. What made you choose Cornell?
I would have to say the diverse focus of the program in general, with graduates being able to choose between LTC, academic med centers, private/for profit, and consulting. It's also a pretty good value since the cost of living won't be as extreme as DC.

Has anyone who interviewed with UAB in February heard back yet? They told me we would hear the first week in March either way, and I've still heard nothing...

Has anyone who interviewed with UAB in February heard back yet? They told me we would hear the first week in March either way, and I've still heard nothing...

I interviewed beginning of January and heard back February 7th - if I remember correctly, they meet the last Friday of every month.

I interviewed beginning of January and heard back February 7th - if I remember correctly, they meet the last Friday of every month.

Ok thanks! That's what I was thinking. I was trying to see if I could hear from them before I accept an offer from UNC, but judging from the email I just got from them, they won't be making a decision until mid-April.

Well, I was able to get a hold of Yale's financial aid office on the phone today and was informed that my application is incomplete because they never received the Yale financial aid application form. Definitely have a fax confirmation that it went through in January. :/ I might suggest that future applicants be adamant about receiving an application complete request since they don't have an online system for this.

Is there anyone out there who received a merit scholarship from Yale?

Ok thanks! That's what I was thinking. I was trying to see if I could hear from them before I accept an offer from UNC, but judging from the email I just got from them, they won't be making a decision until mid-April.

Are you leaning UNC? I'm deciding between the two and truly am torn. CH has the better town and overall reputation, but I love UAB's residency programs, and certainly everyone I've ever spoken with who is familiar with MHA programs (multiple hospital execs) has had nothing but praise for the program. Not to mention the in-state tuition and dual MBA...

Are you leaning UNC? I'm deciding between the two and truly am torn. CH has the better town and overall reputation, but I love UAB's residency programs, and certainly everyone I've ever spoken with who is familiar with MHA programs (multiple hospital execs) has had nothing but praise for the program. Not to mention the in-state tuition and dual MBA...

I think UNC has more reach (particularly along the east coast in general and the southeast in particular) if you're unsure where you want to end up, but if you want Alabama/Mississippi UAB isn't a bad choice. Have you compared costs?

I think UNC has more reach (particularly along the east coast in general and the southeast in particular) if you're unsure where you want to end up, but if you want Alabama/Mississippi UAB isn't a bad choice. Have you compared costs?

I've heard (only from current students in non-UAB programs, so take it with a grain of salt) that UAB has a Alabama/Mississippi connections but lacks reach outside of those states.

ALL ABOARD THE STRAIGHT TALK EXPRESS

Why would you want to do a dual degree? That's a really important question to have a good answer for, since at minimum it's another year of tuition and opportunity cost. Plenty of MHA graduates go straight into consulting and business roles without an MBA.

MBA degrees make sense under a couple of circumstances:

1) You have been with a company for a while and have risen through the ranks as far as you can go, and your company requires an MBA to rise further (someone with significant, significant work experience)

OR

2) You want to do top tier consulting (like McKinsey, Bain, et al) and they only hire out of the M7 programs (Harvard/Stanford/Wharton/Chicago/MIT/Northwestern/UC Berkley + Darthmouth and maybe Columbia)

Otherwise, candidly, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I wouldn't let that be a major selling point or a deciding factor unless you fit into category 1). An MBA from a non-M7 program without significant work experience won't open any doors that an MHA doesn't, and 'making yourself more marketable' isn't a great reason for an extra year of tuition and opportunity costs.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 6 users
ALL ABOARD THE STRAIGHT TALK EXPRESS

Why would you want to do a dual degree? That's a really important question to have a good answer for, since at minimum it's another year of tuition and opportunity cost. Plenty of MHA graduates go straight into consulting and business roles without an MBA.

MBA degrees make sense under a couple of circumstances:

1) You have been with a company for a while and have risen through the ranks as far as you can go, and your company requires an MBA to rise further (someone with significant, significant work experience)

OR

2) You want to do top tier consulting (like McKinsey, Bain, et al) and they only hire out of the M7 programs (Harvard/Stanford/Wharton/Chicago/MIT/Northwestern/UC Berkley + Darthmouth and maybe Columbia)

Otherwise, candidly, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I wouldn't let that be a major selling point or a deciding factor unless you fit into category 1). An MBA from a non-M7 program without significant work experience won't open any doors that an MHA doesn't, and 'making yourself more marketable' isn't a great reason for an extra year of tuition and opportunity costs.

Hope that helps.

Totally agree with this. Dual degrees are a cash cow for the most part. I will be getting my MPH from Berkeley and briefly considered the MBA/MPH at Berkeley (Berkeley MBA is way higher ranked than most of the other dual degree programs, and the dual degree here is only 2.5 years not 3). BUT after much research, I realized that most students at Berkeley who do the dual degree go into managerial positions at pharma/biotech companies, which I am not interested in whatsoever. Even if you did want to take that route, you need significant work experience (at least 4 years) to get those jobs and get accepted to the program (I have about 5ish years). Other than that, I can do everything else with just an MPH....can take classes at the bschool and attend all bschool career events if I want. Take a look at directors/CEOs of organizations...I can almost guarantee that they won't have dual degrees.

ugh financial aid for emory was $4,000 merit and $33,000 loan - even slightly less giving then Columbia haha!

Sounds like we're in the same boat. I'm leaning UNC. I really liked the residency program at UAB too, but when I talked to professors at UNC they said they have a very good fellowship placement program as well for students who want to go that route after graduation instead of straight into a job. That's essentially the same thing UAB does, except everyone in the UAB program is required to do a fellowship/residency first, where at UNC it's one of many different options. I was torn between the two also, but after visiting CH and talking with the professors about the fellowships, I'm definitely leaning more UNC. Plus, I'm from Birmingham, so most of the UAB MSHA alums I've talked to ended up working in Birmingham after graduation. I feel like UNC would give me a better opportunity for the option to work somewhere else or come back to Alabama if I wanted to. Let me know where you end up deciding to go though! Maybe we'll be in the same class!

Hey guys

I have an interview at Ohio State this Friday for the MHA program. Anyone else interview here and have any tips/advice?
Still waiting to hear back from Pitt and GWU.

I interview at Ohio State a few weeks ago and am very happy to have gotten in. You have lunch and talk to alumni. Its a pretty cool experience. As for the interview itself, I can only speak for myself since our circumstances likely differ. I interviewed with 2 faculty back to back. Pretty informal/conversation based. Once they get to know you and your work/internship experiences they try drilling you some of your weak spots...so if you have any, be sure to know how to address them and have 2-3 good answers for them. I didnt do too well on my GRE so I was asked about that..but even after I addressed why I didnt do as well, my interviewer still wanted to discuss it. So be sure to have good and thorough answers. If you dont mind sharing your stats, I might be able to give you some more detailed information.

My advice would be to have a lot of good stories to tell either from your work experiences or in college. You'll get your typical questions like - Why this program, why Ohio State, where do you see yourself in 10 years. And then some questions like, give me a time where you experienced someone else being a good leader, or name your highest accomplishment. Both interviews are 20-30 minutes each. Hope you do well!

i am a dentist from india. i have 45 days of training in bombay hospital as a regular healthvare management trainee. my gpa is 3.55 by wes.
gre verbal 150 and quant 159, 3.0 writing. toefl 97.
i have applied to saint louis, upenn,uncc,utd,unthsc.
what you all say. is this is fine? i really wanted to go in a good achool

I may be attending UNC after all. After speaking with my fiance, if I do not get into JHU then we will probably move south for UNC. Commuting from Baltimore to GW would be too much and moving to DC isn't an option because her job is in Towson, MD (North Baltimore).

Can anyone comment on how good the Cornell program is? Especially the curriculum, job prospects and life in Ithaca. Having a tough time deciding between Tulane, Georgetown and Cornell (with 2k/yr scholarship). Appreciate any input.

Can anyone comment on how good the Cornell program is? Especially the curriculum, job prospects and life in Ithaca. Having a tough time deciding between Tulane, Georgetown and Cornell (with 2k/yr scholarship). Appreciate any input.

Don't know if it was on this thread but Cornell is a good experience overall but a student claimed he lacked real world training and exposure. Maybe DC will be a better fit. I got a half-ride from GTown for agreeing to be a Graduate Assistant. Turns out I'm headed to JHU so I will decline that shortly. But I'd check that out if I were you.

Don't know if it was on this thread but Cornell is a good experience overall but a student claimed he lacked real world training and exposure. Maybe DC will be a better fit. I got a half-ride from GTown for agreeing to be a Graduate Assistant. Turns out I'm headed to JHU so I will decline that shortly. But I'd check that out if I were you.
Thanks skyglider3 and congratulations on your acceptance to JHU. Did you get the graduate assistant ship along with your official acceptance? Or was this a separate application?

Thanks skyglider3 and congratulations on your acceptance to JHU. Did you get the graduate assistant ship along with your official acceptance? Or was this a separate application?
Thanks, I'm stoked :) For the GA, email Sarah Shohet and ask her to be considered for it. It's not an application, just a fit of your profile to a prof (I'm guessing). Email away and good luck!

stuck between UNC, Georgetown, and Columbia.... and unsure which way to lean... any thoughts?

stuck between UNC, Georgetown, and Columbia.... and unsure which way to lean... any thoughts?

Don't know if this is important to you, but the 2014-2015 MHA class at Columbia will essentially be a guinea pig class as it is their first independent year as a separate MHA program. UNC and Gtown have more years under their belt and therefore, more experience with MHA-only students (and more MHA alumni as well, network wise). UNC is ranked higher for healthcare management, is known for public health, is more affordable, and warmer! Gtown offers access to 9 healthcare facilities and is connected to the rich health network in DC (think tanks, government branches etc.). Hope that helps at least a little :)

I only applied to one of those three schools (UNC), so I may not be of much assistance here. I'm attending UNC for many reasons:
  • Career services - I really like how they have two staff members dedicated to finding internships and post-grad jobs for the HPM department. I don't know if anyone else got this vibe during the interview process, but it really seems like the HPM department at UNC is very highly touted on campus and within the region. Job placement is a huge factor in my decision, so this was a big plus as other schools didn't seem to be so strong in this area
  • Atmosphere - It was really easy for me to communicate with the students and faculty before, during, and after the application process. One of the associate professors reached out to me after the interview and expressed interest in my work experience, so I also feel like I fit in well with their research focus.
  • Location - I frequently visited Chapel Hill when I lived in Atlanta for my undergrad years, and I've never had a bad experience there. It's a fantastic college town that doesn't feel small, has great athletic support, and isn't expensive. I also like its proximity to Atlanta, DC, and Charlottesville, which are places I can see myself visiting for away football games and whatnot.
  • Price - Tuition is cheap at UNC compared to other places, and the cost of living in Chapel Hill is also cheap compared to the other locations I looked at. I'm hoping to graduate without any students loans, and UNC is my best bet for doing that.
I could seriously go on about why I decided to attend UNC, and it just really seemed like a no-brainer for me. But if I were someone that wanted an international job, or one in NYC, then maybe Columbia would be better. If I wanted to work for a think tank in DC, then maybe Georgetown would be better.

Good luck!

Anybody out there who are applying/applied to MHa programs for fall 2014?
Which schools did you guys apply to and why?
I am applying to Cornell, JHU, Columbia, Mich and USC.
Hello prashgopal hope you are well settled by now:). I am Dilip from INDIA and i want to apply for top master programmes in public health schools want a little guidance from you and i dont have any work experience

GRE (have to take)
I have good academics aggregate 76%
Co-author for 2 good impact manuscripts in the field of cancer
Two online course certificates i.e, one from each Harvard & texas
Two international presentations during my graduation

Which schools i can expect regarding MHA or MPH programme ? Which programme is better in terms of getting employed? I am hearing bitter negative talks about MPH,MHA from people!! A bit nervous to make my step. any help from you is great full

Thank you@DILIP

Hey everyone!

I'm applying to:
Columbia
George Washington
University of Illinois

I submitted my Sophas application and it got processed within a few days. However, I'm yet to receive my WES evaluation reports an I'll be giving my GRE only next week.

Experience: 1 year (as an intern at a dental hospital in India)
GPA: not sure as I havn't received my WES evaluation yet. I got 68% which isn't bad according to indian standards but I'm not sure how it'll look in terms of GPA. Nervous about that.
TOEFL: 115
GRE: Giving it next week!
Hi :) i am doing my final year pharmD in INDIA. I would like to apply for MPH/MHA programme (have to decide)

I have one year internship experience & i am excited to join MPH/MHA programme upon completing my graduation. I would be thankful if you could provide me a little guidance
GRE have to give up
I have good academics
Co-author for 2 good impact manuscripts in the field of cancer
Two online course certificates i.e, one from each Harvard & texas
Two international and one national presentations during my graduation

Is it worth doing in top public health schools ?What is my chance of acceptance among
JHU,UNC chapell hill, COLUMBIA , UPitts, UNIV of WASHINGTON, EMORY, UNC, YALE, BOSTON UNIV, TULANE,UNIV of TEXAS, TEXAS A&M

I was little nervous and apprehensive, facing negative opinions :( is it worth doing? Employment oppurtunities upon completion?

Please please clarify my doubts
Thank u@DILIP