MHA admissions Fall '14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone got any advice for the Rush interview?? Mines coming up tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

Mailed in my deposit to Georgetown. Thank you for making this forum the advice on here is great! If anyone is going to Georgetown message me.

Reactions: 1 user
Just curious, what career would earn more in the long run, a health executive or a healthcare consultant? Gotta pay off these loans! Consulting seems really attractive given the amount of debt I'm about to take on. Also how feasible is it to get into consulting without work experience?

The following statement is my own professional bias creeping in: I have worked with a fair number of consultants in my professional career and found that 75% of them are a big waste of time and money because they had no idea what they were doing but were successful at selling their services.

For my own career, I would like to amass 20-30 years of work experience and then go into consulting so I can actually be helpful to a company.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone got any advice for the Rush interview?? Mines coming up tomorrow!
I really loved Rush. I think it is a fantastic program and I'm surprised it hasn't been discussed on here more. The advisors (Patricia? It was a few months ago) are great and you can tell they are really invested in their students. I love that you can work during the year. You will meet with three people- it is more formal than other interviews I've been to but nothing bad. Good luck!

Just curious, what career would earn more in the long run, a health executive or a healthcare consultant? Gotta pay off these loans! Consulting seems really attractive given the amount of debt I'm about to take on. Also how feasible is it to get into consulting without work experience?

The (perhaps tenuous) consensus is that consulting starts you out much higher and remains more stagnant, while healthcare execs have a theoretical higher ceiling. It's tough to gauge, though, because most people don't make a career out of consulting due to long hours (maybe not so bad) and tons of traveling (really, really hard).

The (perhaps tenuous) consensus is that consulting starts you out much higher and remains more stagnant, while healthcare execs have a theoretical higher ceiling. It's tough to gauge, though, because most people don't make a career out of consulting due to long hours (maybe not so bad) and tons of traveling (really, really hard).

Correct, Consulting is usually a few years and key projects for most..What consulting does for you is it provides you the ability to handle multiple projects from different sides of the healthcare sector and does so in a short amount of time. You may be working with a top hospital chain in streamlining their ops one day, and you may work with Local government or Non-profits on another. Most will use that experience and branch out...If thats a goal then i would recomend working with smaller-mid-sized consulting firms as in them you get to meet clients and make detailed presentations much earlier than say when you're working with a Deloitte or a Booz. You will however have a wider industry base to work on when you work for a bigger consulting house whereas the smaller companies tend to specialize in certain sectors of healthcare.

Went to Yale's open house yesterday for Health Care Management. Let me know if you have any questions! Such an amazing school and program :D

Officially a Tar Heel!!!! Anyone else going to UNC private message me :)

Reactions: 2 users
and also- is there a FB group for UNC class of 2016? I can't find anything :(

Paid the deposit for JHU Bloomberg School, what finally sealed the deal was an amazing set of classmates, and the entire culture of the school and the fact that the program focuses heavily on Hospital management and consulting rather than having a bit of everything for everyone. Unless something goes terribly wrong with my financial aid application I will turn down my offers of admission from Yale, Columbia and University of Michigan..

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
For those who know they'll be declining, please do so, so that those wait listed folks can get a shot. I heard last week that wait listed people might start hearing back this week in time for the deadline.

Paid the deposit for JHU Bloomberg School, what finally sealed the deal was an amazing set of classmates, and the entire culture of the school and the fact that the program focuses heavily on Hospital management and consulting rather than having a bit of everything for everyone. Unless something goes terribly wrong with my financial aid application I will turn down my offers of admission from Yale, Columbia and University of Michigan..
I also paid my deposit for JHU but couldn't attend Visitor's day due to a conflict :( How was it?? I'm heading down Monday for a visit!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations..Looking forward to meeting you..The visitor's day went quite well, we were introduced to the department heads and faculty, had a chance to meet admitted students, current students and alumni, took a tour of the buildings and managed to sit in on a seminar..Its a place that is not too large, and something that focuses on building up your skills so you hit the ground running in your residency..A great set of classmates awaits you :), from physicians, to biochemists, MBA's and consultants..

Hey guys, I got an interview coming up with Rush tomorrow. Can anyone give me any insight on what their interview is like?

Also, I'm trying to decide between Cornell and Rush. Anyone that can help persuade me one way or another? I'm from Chicago and want to eventually end up here, which is one of the main reasons why I'm hesitant to accept Cornell.

I am also from Chicago. Rush is a great program...but if you got into Cornell, thats pretty hard to turn down. Although Rush is among the top programs, the reality is that Cornell's name holds more weight in that its a more reputable school. I will say it may also depend on what exactly you are going to do after the program, but from my own mentors and professors, a big name university does hold a lot of clout. In all honesty, if you dont have any close ties which prevents you from leaving home for 18 months, I'd go with Cornell. Im going to be attending Ohio State despite having Rush and UIC in my backyard for that reason. Although I envision myself working in a hospital setting, a lot can change during the course of the program and if I choose to (or ultimately) end up in the private sector, the big name school means more. Hope this helps, and best of luck

Anyone else also undecided still? We're down to one more week to decide and I'm still not sure :(

For those of you waitlisted at Johns Hopkins, I turned down their offer this morning in favor of a traditional 2-year program. Good luck to those hoping to get off the waitlist!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else also undecided still? We're down to one more week to decide and I'm still not sure :(

Having a bit of a difficult time as well. I know I would thrive at my top 2 programs and could fit in well at either. Cost discrepancy is minimal and I'm leaning toward a more non-traditional route which makes me feel a bit nervous. I've attempted to fill out my notice of intention forms twice already today! I'll muster the guts to commit eventually (as in this evening because that check has to arrive on time)!

I officially declined Yale's offer, good luck to those who are on the waitlist!

I know this is very late in the cycle but I'm trying to apply for some schools for a MHA this fall. I was abroad this past fall so I was behind on the application process. Are there any programs that are still open? I know USC is until July but I'm trying to expand the pool if available. If I don't get in anywhere this round I'll try for next year but I really don't want to take a year off even though that looks to be the case.

I know this is very late in the cycle but I'm trying to apply for some schools for a MHA this fall. I was abroad this past fall so I was behind on the application process. Are there any programs that are still open? I know USC is until July but I'm trying to expand the pool if available. If I don't get in anywhere this round I'll try for next year but I really don't want to take a year off even though that looks to be the case.
Tulane has a late deadline (July or August, I think)

Oh wait, UNC just offered me more money. For those of you wondering if you can negotiate a scholarship, looks like you can.

Do I take the money or toss it for Yale?

I am seriously consulting a hospital CEO for this.

I am also from Chicago. Rush is a great program...but if you got into Cornell, thats pretty hard to turn down. Although Rush is among the top programs, the reality is that Cornell's name holds more weight in that its a more reputable school. I will say it may also depend on what exactly you are going to do after the program, but from my own mentors and professors, a big name university does hold a lot of clout. In all honesty, if you dont have any close ties which prevents you from leaving home for 18 months, I'd go with Cornell. Im going to be attending Ohio State despite having Rush and UIC in my backyard for that reason. Although I envision myself working in a hospital setting, a lot can change during the course of the program and if I choose to (or ultimately) end up in the private sector, the big name school means more. Hope this helps, and best of luck

Thanks for the helpful advice. I'm leaning towards Cornell because everyone that I've spoken to said that it's too good of an opportunity to pass up. I'm just trying to gather as much info on both programs before I make a final decision!

Oh wait, UNC just offered me more money. For those of you wondering if you can negotiate a scholarship, looks like you can.

What's the difference in cost of attendance? How important is it for you to say 'I graduated from Yale' for the rest of your life, and is it worth the difference in price?

Something to keep in mind is Yale would be better if you ever wanted to work in policy or academia down the road.

Went to Yale's open house yesterday for Health Care Management. Let me know if you have any questions! Such an amazing school and program :D

You rejected your full ride + stipend to UCLA?!?

Hey guys, I got an interview coming up with Rush tomorrow. Can anyone give me any insight on what their interview is like?

Also, I'm trying to decide between Cornell and Rush. Anyone that can help persuade me one way or another? I'm from Chicago and want to eventually end up here, which is one of the main reasons why I'm hesitant to accept Cornell.

I live in Chicago and work at Rush actually. Rush is a great program if you want to work in healthcare systems or consulting in Chicago. Most of the grads stay in Chicago and all their connections are in Chicago. If you plan to seek a career outside of Chicago, I'd say go with Cornell

Just on the $$ side, consultants for the big consulting companies make much more, both starting off and long-term (partners make bank!!). Though keep in mind you do have to give up your work/life balance. My roommate is in healthcare consulting and she travels to her client site every week and works until 10pm every day. That is the normal life of a consultant, but the salary is pretty great (still not worth it IMO though)

Consulting for a few years after graduation would be good for those that take on a lot of debt after graduate school, as that would allow you to pay off your loans faster. Granted, you do end up doing a lot of traveling, and it may not be to fun locations most of the time as healthcare organizations can be located in the middle of nowhere.

I won't be taking on much debt (if any at all), so I'm definitely forgoing the consulting track. Plus I've kind of already "been there done that" in regards to healthcare consulting on a much lighter scale, and I'd be happy to never experience it again.

You rejected your full ride + stipend to UCLA?!?
Yup! It's only for the first year and moving from NYC to LA created a complicated situation for me and my family. Also, the Yale name...it's just so huge. I spoke with a health administrator at North Shore LIJ Hospital who even recommended Yale. The combination with the school of management makes the program really stand out.

It was a lot of money to leave behind but I feel like I made the right choice ;)

I live in Chicago and work at Rush actually. Rush is a great program if you want to work in healthcare systems or consulting in Chicago. Most of the grads stay in Chicago and all their connections are in Chicago. If you plan to seek a career outside of Chicago, I'd say go with Cornell
Do you think that it would be tough to come back and work in Chicago if I went to Cornell?

I think Cornell's alumni connections are strongest in the northeast, but they seem to have a solid national base of alumni outside the northeast as well. Out of all the programs I considered, their alumni involvement struck me as the strongest.

However, if you know you already know you want to be back in Chicago and building a professional network in the area is important to you, it might make more sense to consider a regional program like Rush. Cornell is a great program and will probably get you connections and recognition in many parts of the country, but I don't know that it can compete with a strong regional program in any given part of the country (i.e. Pitt in Pittsburgh, USC in Southern California, etc) on the factor of regional alumni connections.

Do you think that it would be tough to come back and work in Chicago if I went to Cornell?
I agree with us denick- Cornell is definitely strongest in the east coast. Also, I think it depends on your current level of experience. Rush provides lots of opportunities to add real experience to your resume. I have a friend that graduated from Cornell's MHA program and his complaint was that there was not enough real world experience. He had 5 years of public health work experience and didnt have trouble finding a job, but just something to think about. For me, the opportunity to have paid work experience during the year was a really big draw.

Cornell isn't some small regionally respected university, it's an Ivy League school. If you planned on getting back to Chicago via alumni network it may not be your best choice, but having significant ties to Chicago means you can work your way back. You'd have to do your own legwork, but it's not like if you leave the Northeast everyone will think you went to some diploma mill.

For what it's worth, my gut tells me you could get back to Chicago from Cornell easier than get out of Chicago from Rush. I'd never heard of Rush until I started this app process - that doesn't mean it's a bad school, but suggests it's pretty regional.

If you decide to go to Rush, just be really, really, completely, totally positive you want to stay in Chicago indefinitely.

Last edited:
Rush is definitely strong within Chicago, but I agree with the statements above. Chicago also has a lot of healthcare organizations (Rush, Lurie Children's, Cadence, Access, NMFF, Erie Clinic, etc), so I'd be surprised if you had a hard time finding a job in that area regardless of where you go for your MHA.

I have officially turned down my admissions offers from Georgetown, GW, and U Pitt and mailed in my deposit to UNC.

It's definitely possible, but you'd have much more opportunities in Chicago if you went to Rush, they are super well connected to all health care organizations and hospitals and since you can be a paid intern part-time at any of these places, it'll be way easier to secure a job after you graduate.

What's the difference in cost of attendance? How important is it for you to say 'I graduated from Yale' for the rest of your life, and is it worth the difference in price?

Something to keep in mind is Yale would be better if you ever wanted to work in policy or academia down the road.

It would be at least 20k more to attend Yale, more if I get in-state tuition my second year at UNC. I have no plans to work in academia down the road, though I have a small interest in policy/government.

I don't care about saying "I went to Yale" per se. I don't need a Yale degree to prove my worth. But I'm not blind to the reality of what Yale speaks to others. Those returns are hard to quantify, especially since they transcend career advancement.

It would be at least 20k more to attend Yale, more if I get in-state tuition my second year at UNC. I have no plans to work in academia down the road, though I have a small interest in policy/government.

I don't care about saying "I went to Yale" per se. I don't need a Yale degree to prove my worth. But I'm not blind to the reality of what Yale speaks to others. Those returns are hard to quantify, especially since they transcend career advancement.

If you don't want academia, answer me this:

Would you rather pay off your debt and have a Yale degree

OR

In that same amount of time, would you rather pay off your debt AND have a down payment for a house and have a UNC degree?

If you don't want academia, answer me this:

Would you rather pay off your debt and have a Yale degree

OR

In that same amount of time, would you rather pay off your debt AND have a down payment for a house and have a UNC degree?

Or turn it down and send me your UNC scholarship money :highfive:

You already have my views on the matter, all I'll add to them would be that no matter which school you pick you'll be setting yourself up for a top notch education and a network that is right up there amongst the best..

I just got more money from HSPH as well, so it appears there's always more wiggle room than we think! Strongly leaning towards going there now, as opposed to JHU, which I have some reservations about. @Emma1600, I'm sure whichever school you decide to go to will be a great choice!

Anyone heard back from UIC yet.

Heard back today actually with an acceptance. This is somewhat of a curve-ball thrown at me.

I am now deciding between Ohio State and UIC. Ohio State ranked in the top 10-15 for MHA programs and is a more attractive name. UIC's program is a relatively new program, but I'd love to stay in Chicago and work in Chicago (born and raised here). I just dont know if i'd be foolish to turn down such a great program at OSU. The only reason why I am now considering UIC more seriously is because not only can I stay in Chicago for school, but I can also network with people IN Chicago while I am in the program....plus its cheaper.

Any advice about this? I want to work in Chicago. Because UIC is in Chicago does that somewhat level the playing field against OSU? Anyone?

You already have my views on the matter, all I'll add to them would be that no matter which school you pick you'll be setting yourself up for a top notch education and a network that is right up there amongst the best..

I'll second this.

Heard back today actually with an acceptance. This is somewhat of a curve-ball thrown at me.

I am now deciding between Ohio State and UIC. Ohio State ranked in the top 10-15 for MHA programs and is a more attractive name. UIC's program is a relatively new program, but I'd love to stay in Chicago and work in Chicago (born and raised here). I just dont know if i'd be foolish to turn down such a great program at OSU. The only reason why I am now considering UIC more seriously is because not only can I stay in Chicago for school, but I can also network with people IN Chicago while I am in the program....plus its cheaper.

Any advice about this? I want to work in Chicago. Because UIC is in Chicago does that somewhat level the playing field against OSU? Anyone?

Congrats !!I am still waiting to hear back from them

Last edited: