MHA admissions Fall '14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Committed to UNC last night. So, so happy!

Many factors went into my decision-most of which just made the choice between UNC and Yale more difficult. Graduates from both programs have landed incredible fellowships and jobs at fantastic consulting companies all over the country- neither school would have set me up any better than the other for my career. In the end, UNC felt more like home. It fit me better socially, personally and professionally at this point in my life and career and I know my degree will be respected from North Carolina, to New York, to California. The healthcare network I'm buying will be incredible and I'm sure it will benefit me throughout my career.

I also like that I'd have a chance at paying off my loans in 3-5 years from UNC if I find myself in the proper financial situation. Though I would like to note for those of you considering 10-year public service loan forgiveness with the pay-as-you-earn model, the difference between borrowing more becomes marginal- i.e., 66,000 vs. 92,000. Borrowing less than 30,000 and paying the loan back in less than 10 years makes much more sense than opting for a pay-as-you-earn.

Here's a calculator I found incredibly helpful. (Remember to adjust the interest rate to 5.4% for the first $33,000/year)

http://www.finaid.org/calculators/ibr10.phtml

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Many factors went into my decision-most of which just made the choice between UNC and Yale more difficult. Graduates from both programs have landed incredible fellowships and jobs at fantastic consulting companies all over the country- neither school would have set me up any better than the other for my career. In the end, UNC felt more like home. It fit me better socially, personally and professionally at this point in my life and career and I know my degree will be respected from North Carolina, to New York, to California. The healthcare network I'm buying will be incredible and I'm sure it will benefit me throughout my career.

I also like that I'd have a chance at paying off my loans in 3-5 years from UNC if I find myself in the proper financial situation. Though I would like to note for those of you considering 10-year public service loan forgiveness with the pay-as-you-earn model, the difference between borrowing more becomes marginal- i.e., 66,000 vs. 92,000. Borrowing less than 30,000 and paying the loan back in less than 10 years makes much more sense than opting for a pay-as-you-earn.

Here's a calculator I found incredibly helpful. (Remember to adjust the interest rate to 5.4% for the first $33,000/year)

Looking forward to meeting you and others this fall! This is shaping out to be an awesome class.

I think Cornell's alumni connections are strongest in the northeast, but they seem to have a solid national base of alumni outside the northeast as well. Out of all the programs I considered, their alumni involvement struck me as the strongest.

However, if you know you already know you want to be back in Chicago and building a professional network in the area is important to you, it might make more sense to consider a regional program like Rush. Cornell is a great program and will probably get you connections and recognition in many parts of the country, but I don't know that it can compete with a strong regional program in any given part of the country (i.e. Pitt in Pittsburgh, USC in Southern California, etc) on the factor of regional alumni connections.

So I decided to go with Cornell over Rush. The name and alumni network were just too much for me too pass up.

With that being said... what should I be doing next? Apply for financial aid? Anything else?

Reactions: 1 user

Good luck at UNC!
So I decided to go with Cornell over Rush. The name and alumni network were just too much for me too pass up.

With that being said... what should I be doing next? Apply for financial aid? Anything else?
HOUSING.

I have posted on here sporadically. Nonetheless, I wanted to let everyone know my decision and experience applying to grad school in case anyone is interest. I'm hoping that future applicants can learn from my experience (if they are reading this), but I'm also interested to know if my conclusions about this entire experience match anyone else's. Sorry this is super long... skip if you don't want to read my random observations and musings!!

In my research, I recognized that most MHA grad programs were somewhat regional. Even top programs like Minnesota and VCU seem to graduate students who, by and large, stay in the region of the program. I think that with the top programs (especially those from "name brand" schools) you can likely compete successfully for jobs anywhere in the country, but I decided to focus on mainly east coast schools because that is where I wanted to end up.

I ended up applying to GW, Georgetown, Cornell, Yale, University of Pittsburgh and NYU.

I got into all schools but Yale and received substantial scholarships from NYU and Pittsburgh. I have excellent grades from a good university and very unique and relevant work experience, but a low GRE score.

Below are my observations about the different schools. I'm sorry if my comments are a little too focused on financial aspects. This is obviously not the only factor I took into consideration during my decision making process, but it was important and I was somewhat frustrated that more information was not available about the type and likelihood of getting aid before I applied, so I'm discussing this in case it can help a future applicant reading this to gain information about the financial situation at various schools.

Obvious disclaimer: This is based on one person's research done by talking to alum, current students and campus visits. It is obviously all subjective and based simply on my own personal experience, so I'm not sure how much it can be generalized or will match others' experience.

Cornell: I didn't get to visit, but they seem like they have a strong program. It's a cohort system, and a small class size, so students form a close affiliation with the school and fellows students. A good number of alum stay involved with the school. Connections are strongest in the midatlantic and NE states, but the school is respected outside of that corridor as well. Also seems like they have good faculty-student interaction and good academics. Tuition is lower compared to other programs and cost of living below big cities, but financial aid is also more limited than other schools, something they are trying to improve.

Pittsburgh: I get the feeling that the faculty at this program is really trying to improve the program's standing and that they have made significant progress. They have hired some new faculty with impressive credentials and are also trying to grow their financial aid budget. Some organizational issues may remain and I get the feeling that some people don't want to apply to this program because they see Pittsburgh as being a declining industrial city (in which they don't want to live). I think that Pittsburgh would be an amazing city to study health administration. UPMC is among the best heath systems in the US and Pitt has extremely strong connections with this and other health systems in the area. They also have strong connections to insurers, which I think is a real benefit because health systems are increasingly launching their own insurance companies and taking on risk as they move to capitated/risk-based payments. Being in a city where you can get experience in progressive insurance and health systems could be a real advantage for one's career. In addition, Pitt has a cool program where you can do a paid sixteen month residency at a local hospital or insurer. You work part-time during three semesters and full-time during the summer. Finally, I really got the feeling that many faculty members are doing cutting-edge research about improving the delivery of care, which is what so many people in health policy and administration are talking about these days.

Georgetown: I didn't spend as much time researching this program but I enjoyed my visit/interview day and current and former students have good things to say. As has been discussed, this program is more expensive than others. Unlike some other programs, the required residency is unpaid, although there is some paid part-time work available in semesters you are not pursuing the residency. After taking into account a generous financial award for which I was very grateful, this program still ended up being more expensive due to the high tuition.

NYU: This is the program I decided on. I have a policy background and I liked that NYU's program combined management and policy. I also like that it is generally a very flexible program. There is more room for electives than other programs. In addition, it's possible to do the program on a part-time basis or in the evenings so that you can work during the day. It's also in New York, which has a lot of hospitals that are staffed by alum of the program. I spoke with some alum who said that students were able to get full-time jobs or part-time internships in health care after starting the program. I'm also under the impression that if you get a job at NYU's medical center that you can get significant tuition remission. The program is very well respected in New York and NYU is a good name outside of the city as well. However, it is an MPA program and not an MHA program, so may not be right for everyone. In addition, it is larger than some MHA programs and, at least initially, you'll be taking classes with students who are studying things that can range from urban planning to international health.

Those are my thoughts, and I have more! Feel free to PM me if you want to chat or want more info on any of the programs I applied to!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Looking forward to meeting you and others this fall! This is shaping out to be an awesome class.

Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else as well!

@JQH Congrats on your decision!

And to everyone else still deciding, you're almost there! I hope you all end up choosing the school that is the best match for you.

Just committed to Ohio State and paid my deposit. IF I am offered admission to my top choice (wait-listed) later on this month, I can always back out right? And only lose my deposit I'm assuming?

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll lose your deposit and probs burn a bridge, but yeah, you can.
Well, I was thinking I could tell them something came up that requires me to stay home and attend a program thats at home. Which is actually pretty accurate. Its imperative for me to stay near home, but Ohio isnt so far from where my family is.

I hope everyone who is uncertain about Cornell have kindly declined their offer already. Still waiting for a response from them :D

Just committed to Ohio State and paid my deposit. IF I am offered admission to my top choice (wait-listed) later on this month, I can always back out right? And only lose my deposit I'm assuming?
Hey bahmed816! Which school are you wait listed at?

Well, I was thinking I could tell them something came up that requires me to stay home and attend a program thats at home. Which is actually pretty accurate. Its imperative for me to stay near home, but Ohio isnt so far from where my family is.
Based on what I have read (I may be in the same position as you), you have to get written permission to release you from the school you are committed to before you can enroll in a different university.

Based on what I have read (I may be in the same position as you), you have to get written permission to release you from the school you are committed to before you can enroll in a different university.

I did this last week and while awkward, it wasn't a problem. Just kindly informed them that my circumstances had changed and I would not be attending in the fall. They asked where I ended up, I told them, they wished me luck, done and done. Lost my deposit, but whatever, not a big deal.

Accepted to UIC. What do people here think about UIC's program? I received the admit only after I accepted GW's offer.

I was accepted to UIC last week and really want to go there because I want to work in Chicago. I have friends in the MHA program there and I have heard all good things about it. They all found the program to be very rewarding especially their placements.

I'm still waiting to hear back about financial aid. Have you received anything about aid yet?

Heard back today actually with an acceptance. This is somewhat of a curve-ball thrown at me.

I am now deciding between Ohio State and UIC. Ohio State ranked in the top 10-15 for MHA programs and is a more attractive name. UIC's program is a relatively new program, but I'd love to stay in Chicago and work in Chicago (born and raised here). I just dont know if i'd be foolish to turn down such a great program at OSU. The only reason why I am now considering UIC more seriously is because not only can I stay in Chicago for school, but I can also network with people IN Chicago while I am in the program....plus its cheaper.

Any advice about this? I want to work in Chicago. Because UIC is in Chicago does that somewhat level the playing field against OSU? Anyone?

I was accepted to UIC last week and it's my top choice because I want to eventually work/live in Chicago and I think it would be easier to network if I attend school in Chicago (I'm out of state). What do you think/have heard about UIC's program? So far, I've only heard good things. Have you gotten any info about financial aid? I've contacted the director for student services but still waiting for a response. Out of state tuition is RIDICULOUS!

I was accepted to UIC last week and really want to go there because I want to work in Chicago. I have friends in the MHA program there and I have heard all good things about it. They all found the program to be very rewarding especially their placements.

I'm still waiting to hear back about financial aid. Have you received anything about aid yet?

Okay, I wanted to see if I could get this answered and I'd really appreciate responses :clap:. I also got accepted to UIC and am from Chicago and want to work in Chicago. But I also got accepted to Ohio State which is a more recognized program and has a good amount of alumni in Chicago. Its a Big 10 school in the midwest so everyone in Chicago knows Ohio State. But since I want to work in Chicago, is UIC a better or in the "same ball park" option? All the big time hospitals here have fellows from more recognized programs, whereas UIC is not really represented and Ohio State is. However, I'm not really familiar with what type of jobs UIC grads get. If I could get the same job in Chicago going to UIC that I'd get going to Ohio State, I'd rather stay home for grad school and go to UIC. But its really hard to guage what to do.

I also feel that having a masters from OSU holds more weight, especially further down the road. This is kind of my own assumption. I personally would have a preference to someone who has their MHA from a bigger, well-known program. But again, i'm not sure how this works. I do think however it can be very advantageous to be in the city where you want to work. Networking while in the program, and utilizing the universities resources could compensate for a lot, especially the connections from faculty with Chicago based hospitals/firms. Does the advantage of being in Chicago and having more network opportunities in Chicago make it just as an attractive option as Ohio State since I want to work in Chicago? Or will going to Ohio State give me the best chance of getting the best job, even in Chicago

Last edited:
I am having a tough time deciding between Cornell and Georgetown. Loved both programs but Ithaca is really out there in nowhere land. Plus not many opportunities during the school year to work or intern at. Weather sucks big time as in 6 months of winter with not much of a social environment to blend in. Yeah their alumni connection is great but studying in DC itself offers great many possibilities to network and ideal to find jobs after graduating. And the city is a great place for young professionals. I have asked this question before. If COA is not an issue which would you choose and why? Can anyone help me out please? Leaning towards Georgetown!

Okay, I wanted to see if I could get this answered and I'd really appreciate responses :clap:. I also got accepted to UIC and am from Chicago and want to work in Chicago. But I also got accepted to Ohio State which is a more recognized program and has a good amount of alumni in Chicago. Its a Big 10 school in the midwest so everyone in Chicago knows Ohio State. But since I want to work in Chicago, is UIC a better or in the "same ball park" option? All the big time hospitals here have fellows from more recognized programs, whereas UIC is not really represented and Ohio State is. However, I'm not really familiar with what type of jobs UIC grads get. If I could get the same job in Chicago going to UIC that I'd get going to Ohio State, I'd rather stay home for grad school and go to UIC. But its really hard to guage what to do.

I also feel that having a masters from OSU holds more weight, especially further down the road. This is kind of my own assumption. I personally would have a preference to someone who has their MHA from a bigger, well-known program. But again, i'm not sure how this works. I do think however it can be very advantageous to be in the city where you want to work. Networking while in the program, and utilizing the universities resources could compensate for a lot, especially the connections from faculty with Chicago based hospitals/firms. Does the advantage of being in Chicago and having more network opportunities in Chicago make it just as an attractive option as Ohio State since I want to work in Chicago? Or will going to Ohio State give me the best chance of getting the best job, even in Chicago

I work at a major hospital in Chicago and a degree from OSU isn't going to hold any benefits over UIC. If you were contemplating a big name school like Hopkins or Yale, then I'd say go for it. But not OSU, it's not going to stand out on a resume compared to UIC. Also, there is a huge benefit in going to a school in the city you want to work. You'll be able to do part-time internships during school and have connections to the UIC hospital. It's very good to develop your professional and personal network in the city you want to live in. In Chicago, UIC is very well known while OSU is not. So keep that in mind. Chicago hospitals have lots of UIC grads so recruiters are familiar with the school and the caliber of students. OSU, less so. I'm not sure where you got the notion that OSU has a better reputation than UIC. It's ranked lower on US news too. I highly doubt anyone in Chicago would say that OSU's program is better than UIC's.

Last edited:
I work at a major hospital in Chicago and a degree from OSU isn't going to hold any benefits over UIC. If you were contemplating a big name school like Hopkins or Yale, then I'd say go for it. But not OSU, it's not going to stand out on a resume compared to UIC. Also, there is a huge benefit in going to a school in the city you want to work. You'll be able to do part-time internships during school and have connections to the UIC hospital. It's very good to develop your professional and personal network in the city you want to live in. In Chicago, UIC is very well known while OSU is not. So keep that in mind. Chicago hospitals have lots of UIC grads so recruiters are familiar with the school and the caliber of students. OSU, less so.

I'm kind of in the same boat, but I'm deciding between UIC and Cornell. I've actually had experience interning at UIC so I do have some sort of a network established there. I want to eventually end up working in Chicago and there are many people from Cornell that have told me that it should be no problem to get back to Chicago after getting an MHA from Cornell. Am I crazy for even considering UIC over Cornell?

I am having a tough time deciding between Cornell and Georgetown. Loved both programs but Ithaca is really out there in nowhere land. Plus not many opportunities during the school year to work or intern at. Weather sucks big time as in 6 months of winter with not much of a social environment to blend in. Yeah their alumni connection is great but studying in DC itself offers great many possibilities to network and ideal to find jobs after graduating. And the city is a great place for young professionals. I have asked this question before. If COA is not an issue which would you choose and why? Can anyone help me out please? Leaning towards Georgetown!

Just my advice - If you want to eventually work in DC, go for Georgetown. If you want to have the opportunity to work elsewhere, I'd pick Cornell. However, both are great options. Good luck deciding! I chose Cornell over Rush and I'm super excited!

I'm kind of in the same boat, but I'm deciding between UIC and Cornell. I've actually had experience interning at UIC so I do have some sort of a network established there. I want to eventually end up working in Chicago and there are many people from Cornell that have told me that it should be no problem to get back to Chicago after getting an MHA from Cornell. Am I crazy for even considering UIC over Cornell?

On Cornell vs UIC, I think they'd end up being pretty even. Cornell has the reputation but UIC has the stronger network in Chicago. If Cornell is cheaper or if you're dying to go somewhere different for 2 years or if there is a possibility you may want to work in the east coast, Cornell might be worth considering. Otherwise, if you know you want to live in Chicago, you can't go wrong with UIC.

I was accepted to UIC last week and it's my top choice because I want to eventually work/live in Chicago and I think it would be easier to network if I attend school in Chicago (I'm out of state). What do you think/have heard about UIC's program? So far, I've only heard good things. Have you gotten any info about financial aid? I've contacted the director for student services but still waiting for a response. Out of state tuition is RIDICULOUS!
Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I'll give you my thoughts later today!

On Cornell vs UIC, I think they'd end up being pretty even. Cornell has the reputation but UIC has the stronger network in Chicago. If Cornell is cheaper or if you're dying to go somewhere different for 2 years or if there is a possibility you may want to work in the east coast, Cornell might be worth considering. Otherwise, if you know you want to live in Chicago, you can't go wrong with UIC.

I'm also very interested in Consulting after grad school. Does this give the edge to Cornell over UIC? Also, if you work for a big consulting firm, is it true that you can choose where you're based out of since you will be traveling a lot? For example, if I did consulting, would a lot of big firms allow me to live in Chicago?

I'm also very interested in Consulting after grad school. Does this give the edge to Cornell over UIC? Also, if you work for a big consulting firm, is it true that you can choose where you're based out of since you will be traveling a lot? For example, if I did consulting, would a lot of big firms allow me to live in Chicago?

I dont know which school is better for consulting. But you can definitely be based out of Chicago with most of the big consulting firms. I think you can live any where they have a major office, which is probably most big cities.

I work at a major hospital in Chicago and a degree from OSU isn't going to hold any benefits over UIC. If you were contemplating a big name school like Hopkins or Yale, then I'd say go for it. But not OSU, it's not going to stand out on a resume compared to UIC. Also, there is a huge benefit in going to a school in the city you want to work. You'll be able to do part-time internships during school and have connections to the UIC hospital. It's very good to develop your professional and personal network in the city you want to live in. In Chicago, UIC is very well known while OSU is not. So keep that in mind. Chicago hospitals have lots of UIC grads so recruiters are familiar with the school and the caliber of students. OSU, less so. I'm not sure where you got the notion that OSU has a better reputation than UIC. It's ranked lower on US news too. I highly doubt anyone in Chicago would say that OSU's program is better than UIC's.

Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it! However, I'm still a little confused. OSU is most definitely ranked among the best MHA programs in the country, ranked 14th and tied with schools like Cornell, Columbia, UCLA and is actually ranked higher than Yale. This is just for the program ranking http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...health-schools/healthcare-management-rankings

UIC actually isnt listed for one reason or another and in general as a university is not ranked higher than OSU--http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public. Maybe you were thinking University of Illinois Urbana Champaigne? Ohio State is ranked 16th and UIC is ranked 63rd among public universities.

UIC's MHA is a relatively new program and just got accredited 1-2 years ago. But I definitely do agree that its a huge plus being able to network and brush elbows with people in the city in which I am working towards getting a job in. UIC does have a great reputation as a healthcare school...but this particular degree is more business oriented...this may not matter as much, im not sure.

What does scare me though is that fellowships at hospitals like Rush, Northwestern Memorial, and Childrens Hospital all have a track record of taking fellows from big name programs, including OSU. UIC hasnt placed 1 fellow into Rush or Northwestern, which are my 2 target places to work for. I do know a couple people who actually do work for Rush out of UIC, but for one reason or another, UIC grads dont place that well for fellowships..at least from the research i've seen. For reference: http://www.nmh.org/nm/careers-former-nmh-fellows

I'm about to graduate undergrad, so I'm still very green to the job market and how it works, so I value a lot of your guys' opinions. I'm not sure if these rankings even matter. I know that networking means a lot and thats why i'm starting to strongly consider UIC now because Chicago is where I want to work.

Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it! However, I'm still a little confused. OSU is most definitely ranked among the best MHA programs in the country, ranked 14th and tied with schools like Cornell, Columbia, UCLA and is actually ranked higher than Yale. This is just for the program ranking http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...health-schools/healthcare-management-rankings

UIC actually isnt listed for one reason or another and in general as a university is not ranked higher than OSU--http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public. Maybe you were thinking University of Illinois Urbana Champaigne? Ohio State is ranked 16th and UIC is ranked 63rd among public universities.

UIC's MHA is a relatively new program and just got accredited 1-2 years ago. But I definitely do agree that its a huge plus being able to network and brush elbows with people in the city in which I am working towards getting a job in. UIC does have a great reputation as a healthcare school...but this particular degree is more business oriented...this may not matter as much, im not sure.

What does scare me though is that fellowships at hospitals like Rush, Northwestern Memorial, and Childrens Hospital all have a track record of taking fellows from big name programs, including OSU. UIC hasnt placed 1 fellow into Rush or Northwestern, which are my 2 target places to work for. I do know a couple people who actually do work for Rush out of UIC, but for one reason or another, UIC grads dont place that well for fellowships..at least from the research i've seen. For reference: http://www.nmh.org/nm/careers-former-nmh-fellows

I'm about to graduate undergrad, so I'm still very green to the job market and how it works, so I value a lot of your guys' opinions. I'm not sure if these rankings even matter. I know that networking means a lot and thats why i'm starting to strongly consider UIC now because Chicago is where I want to work.

I was looking at MPH rankings instead of MHA. But really, UIC has a good reputation that is probably only limited to Chicago. And here in the hospital world, we don't really differentiate between MPH and MHA, either degree is fine for hospital management jobs. Therefore, even though the MHA may be a new degree at UIC, the SPH is known and respected, and that is what matters more than the actual degree. Local colleges almost always have an inflated reputation in the area they are located.Perhaps the fellowship placement at UIC isn't good because of the MHA being a new program (MPH students usually don't want the admin fellow route)? Either way, if you don't get the few selected fellowship positions you want, UIC will provide much more options if you want to work in Chicago. Going to a SPH like Michigan would have placed you much better for those fellowships, but between UIC and OSU i don't see OSU as having any benefit over UIC. Just my opinion.

I don't know much about UIC, but I don't think the name carries the same kind of prestige that Cornell does, and that does matter for consulting. I think that Cornell is a good program for consulting and it seems like a decent number of alum take that route. The connection to New York, where a lot of consulting firms are headquartered, doesn't hurt and neither does the fact that you can take classes at Cornell's well-respected business school.

I was looking at MPH rankings instead of MHA. But really, UIC has a good reputation that is probably only limited to Chicago. And here in the hospital world, we don't really differentiate between MPH and MHA, either degree is fine for hospital management jobs. Therefore, even though the MHA may be a new degree at UIC, the SPH is known and respected, and that is what matters more than the actual degree. Local colleges almost always have an inflated reputation in the area they are located.Perhaps the fellowship placement at UIC isn't good because of the MHA being a new program (MPH students usually don't want the admin fellow route)? Either way, if you don't get the few selected fellowship positions you want, UIC will provide much more options if you want to work in Chicago. Just my opinion.
Makes sense. Definitely a big decision to make, thank you for your input, it was very helpful! Another curve ball is if I ultimately decide not to work in a hospital setting, OSU is probably better. Sigh...im gonna end up driving myself crazy lol

I went with Georgetown for the opportunity to be in DC. My belief is that grad school is all about networking and having the opportunity to meet people. I talked to alumni and only heard good things about the program. Private message me if you need more information.

It is true that being in DC will give you access to more internship opportunities during the semesters. It'll also allow you access to policy opportunities, which is unique. However, Cornell's program has been around much longer than GTown's and I think it has a better reputation in the health care world because of that. It also has more alumni, many of whom are actively involved and help graduates get jobs and internships.

It is true that being in DC will give you access to more internship opportunities during the semesters. It'll also allow you access to policy opportunities, which is unique. However, Cornell's program has been around much longer than GTown's and I think it has a better reputation in the health care world because of that. It also has more alumni, many of whom are actively involved and help graduates get jobs and internships.

Honestly, I think it's a toss up between the programs. Both are CAHME accredited and both have great reputations. I'm of the opinion that your success after graduate school depends on the effort that you put into networking and making the most out of the program you attend.

With regards to US News rankings, I think they are terribly flawed for a number of reasons that have already been brought up in this thread. Picking a brand name school, with a strong program and active alumni base, in an area that you will be happy living for two years are the most important factors to consider. You are going to get a great job if you graduate from GTown, GW, UNC, JHU (schools I applied to) or Cornell.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, I think it's a toss up between the programs. Both are CAHME accredited and both have great reputations. I'm of the opinion that your success after graduate school depends on the effort that you put into networking and making the most out of the program you attend.

With regards to US News rankings, I think they are terribly flawed for a number of reasons that have already been brought up in this thread. Picking a brand name school, with a strong program and active alumni base, in an area that you will be happy living for two years are the most important factors to consider. You are going to get a great job if you graduate from GTown, GW, UNC, JHU (schools I applied to) or Cornell.

Thank you all for your input. Fully agree with the bolded statements, especially the parts about " your success after graduate school depends on the effort that you put into networking and making the most out of the program you attend" and "in an area you will be happy living". That is the single most valid reason I am leaning towards Georgetown.

And the countdown continues!

Hopefully JHU will let us know before Wednesday.

For those of you who were asking questions about UIC (myself included); I've been able to talk to a number of students and faculty about their program. From what I gathered, this is my take on their program.

You are essentially paying for the degree. Of course you learn in the class room but some of the students I spoke to said that most of what they learn wasnt that valuable (This may hold true for other schools as well). Their preceptorship program is unpaid which is somewhat discouraging for some of the students. A lot of them do the minimum required hours and stop. It takes place during the program where you interact with your preceptor 5-6 hours during the week and then do a big project with them over the summer. Some of the preceptorship sites are pretty impressive while others aren't that great. Each student picks their top 3 choices and get interviewed by the preceptor who is either the CEO, COO, VP, or some other high level executive within the hospital or organization which is a great networking opportunity. As far as fellowships, they dont place that well. Some of them are able to get fellowships at the University of Illinois hospital though. Other hospitals (even Chicago based ones) dont even recruit at UIC, which I found a little discouraging..

One student said they wished their career services put their program out there a little more and help advertise their program to potential employers. She described it as a "fend for yourself" type job search, although they're still willing to work with you in some capacity. If you're looking to find a part time gig during the program, maybe in their hospital, you gotta do it yourself. You might be able to refer some faculty of the program in your application, but they certainty wont create an opportunity for you which might be difficult because Chicago has a somewhat saturated market compared to other cities.

Anyways, I think its a good quality program. I dont think it holds as much clout as some other programs, but some executives dont even care where you went, while others do. Its really hit or miss IMO and I dont think you could go wrong. I will say that Rush, which is right next door casts a bit of a shadow over the UIC students, but a lot of grad school is the effort and work you put in. In my case, it looks like i'll pass on UIC and attend Ohio State since its a safer bet and a similar tuition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

No, nothing about financial aid yet. Getting accepted to UIC was quite unexpected. There was no interview and I felt like they were giving out admits rather easily. Either way, I already had my heart set on GW & decided to go with my first choice :)