MHA admissions Fall '14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How come nobody here is talking about Tulane? In the past years, Tulane has been a rather popular option among sdn users but the trend seems to have changed this year?

Members don't see this ad.

How come nobody here is talking about Tulane? In the past years, Tulane has been a rather popular option among sdn users but the trend seems to have changed this year?

I was accepted with a small scholarship and I still could have purchased an island for the same price.

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody out there who are applying/applied to MHa programs for fall 2014?
Which schools did you guys apply to and why?
I am applying to Cornell, JHU, Columbia, Mich and USC.
Hie, I am interested in this field, I want to know more about MHA field , planning to apply for spring2015. what is the field is all about, where is the good market in U.S. for MHA, what are the average annual wages? . Just in case if you have any idea, would you please help me with that? thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hie, I am interested in this field, I want to know more about MHA field , planning to apply for spring2015. what is the field is all about, where is the good market in U.S. for MHA, what are the average annual wages? . Just in case if you have any idea, would you please help me with that? thank you.
Google is your friend.

Reactions: 1 user
Google is your friend.
Than you for your reply. Yes, I did lot of search on google, but still want to know from any one who pursuing/in this field.Information on google & and facts of actual field may vary a lot. How is the market for MHA in Texas? does any body know aobut it? Member thaboss336, do you have specific website where i can find information? thank you. :)

Than you for your reply. Yes, I did lot of search on google, but still want to know from any one who pursuing/in this field.Information on google & and facts of actual field may vary a lot. How is the market for MHA in Texas? does any body know aobut it? Member thaboss336, do you have specific website where i can find information? thank you. :)

Better to speak to someone that has some experience within the healthcare domain. You'll get better pro's and con's from them compared to other career arcs that you may be considering. This is a great website, use the search feature..plenty of good material here about the benefits of an MPH or MHA.

If you guys wouldn't mind, I was wondering if you could look at the stats I currently have, and tell me if I'm at least on the right track to getting into a MHA program.
I'm a junior undergrad majoring in Political Science with a minor in Health Education & Promotion. My GPA is sitting at about 3.3 now, and I WILL have it up higher than a 3.4 by the time I graduate next May. I haven't taken the GRE yet, registered for August (I know, without those scores it's hard to tell me where I stand, but work with me here.) I am a R.A. on campus, last summer I was an intern for a Georgia Congressman in D.C. where I did some work with healthcare policy, and this summer I am working as an administrative intern at my local hospital. I know that this is the degree I want and something to work for. I'll have great references and, not to brag, but I kick ass at interviews.
This fall I have a couple of schools I would really like to apply for: Johns Hopkins, VCU, St. Louis, Minnesota, Michigan, and BU. I may also try another school or two for policy programs.
I get that as of now (and without my GRE scores) these schools may be big reachers. But that's kind of how I am. If I'm not able to get into a great school, I'm willing to work for a couple of year, get professional experience, and then try again. But I just wanted to get some thoughts from those of you who have been accepted.

If you guys wouldn't mind, I was wondering if you could look at the stats I currently have, and tell me if I'm at least on the right track to getting into a MHA program.
I'm a junior undergrad majoring in Political Science with a minor in Health Education & Promotion. My GPA is sitting at about 3.3 now, and I WILL have it up higher than a 3.4 by the time I graduate next May. I haven't taken the GRE yet, registered for August (I know, without those scores it's hard to tell me where I stand, but work with me here.) I am a R.A. on campus, last summer I was an intern for a Georgia Congressman in D.C. where I did some work with healthcare policy, and this summer I am working as an administrative intern at my local hospital. I know that this is the degree I want and something to work for. I'll have great references and, not to brag, but I kick ass at interviews.
This fall I have a couple of schools I would really like to apply for: Johns Hopkins, VCU, St. Louis, Minnesota, Michigan, and BU. I may also try another school or two for policy programs.
I get that as of now (and without my GRE scores) these schools may be big reachers. But that's kind of how I am. If I'm not able to get into a great school, I'm willing to work for a couple of year, get professional experience, and then try again. But I just wanted to get some thoughts from those of you who have been accepted.

Sorry for the long post...

I would really recommend you work for 1-2 years before you apply to grad school. Not only will it make you a better applicant, but you'll be in a MUCH better position for jobs after you graduate if you come in with work experience. Just my 2 cents.

I think your GPA needs to be around 3.5+ for some of the top tier programs, like Hopkins for example. Of course, if you kill your GRE then it may be a different story...but some programs somewhat pride themselves on their numbers...just how it is sometimes.

I think your experience is good for someone who is in undergrad still. Im going straight from undergrad to grad school also. Best of luck!

For what it's worth, here are my stats/work experience:
Undergraduate: 3.27 fromUNC Chapel Hill, BA in Linguistics
I bartended full time for 1.5 years after I graduated, then did a year of AmeriCorps, and then worked in the Development Office of a nonprofit behavioral health provider for a year before applying.
GRE: I don't remember my exact scores, but I was in the 78th percentile for math, 75th for verbal, and 93rd for writing.
I applied to UNC, U Pitt, GW, Georgetown, JHU, and Penn State - Accepted at UNC, U Pitt, GW, Georgetown, denied at Penn State and JHU (I was waitlisted at JHU and ultimately denied).
JHU was my first choice for logistical reasons, and I ultimately decided on UNC (if you believe US News rankings, it's the 3rd best program in the country from the 2nd best school of Public Health).

From what I heard in my interviews, no one really cared about my low-ish undergraduate GPA (it was above the 3.0 minimum), they liked my upper tier GRE scores (that weren't even as high as others on here), my great letters of reference, and my essay. I also crushed all my interviews except for Penn State (do not answer questions honestly, i.e. when asked how you would improve your current company, do not tell them you would fire half the staff even if you honestly believe they should fire half of the staff). The one question I heard a lot was, "why an MHA, because you have no direct healthcare experience," and this is where I told them about my behavioral health experience via writing grants, talking to elected officials, etc. I did not get any scholarship offers unlike others on this board and I blame my undergraduate GPA for that.

Your internships will look good, but remember, an internship is not working full time. With upper tier (75% or above) GRE scores, you will be a competitive applicant now, but would be even more competitive if you could turn that internship at the hospital to a full time job for a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be a little blunt, I think few MPH and MHA programs actually "pride themselves on their numbers." @thaboss336 is hitting the nail on the head. If you don't have the average stats for accepted students then get great healthcare experience. If you lack experience but are applying straight out of undergrad with a high GPA and higher GRE scores, you have a good chance of being accepted into a more competitive program.

Also, apply early. @Chillbro Swaggins mentioned this in an earlier post. From my conversations with admissions committee members this year, most programs to which I applied look to create a diversified cohort of accomplished and promising individuals. This means they don't want to admit multiple students who look the same- i.e. similar scores, backgrounds, majors, work experience, internship experience, study abroad experience etc. The earlier you apply, the more you hedge your bets in this arena. It becomes more likely that you will be that student that brings that certain je ne ce qua rather than someone else.

Furthermore, I'm glad @thaboss336 mentioned the admit vs. scholarship thing. Having a low GPA does NOT mean you won't be admitted into a more selective program. (I have noticed this is less true for Yale, which is weird considering they don't publish average stats for accepted students, but that observation is for another conversation). This doesn't mean someone who is still in undergrad shouldn't shoot for a high GPA. By all means, if you are still in college, STUDY. Having a higher GPA will raise your chances of getting a scholarship. Scholarships are few and far between in the Masters/professional degree world and most are merit based. If you need the money, like most of us do, doing well in your college classes and spending the time to take a GRE prep course can pay off financially.

Really appreciate all of the info. I'd like to hear from anyone who might have applied to grad schools straight out of undergrad. Just wondering what your experience was like. And btw, congrats to all of you who have been accepted. I can't wait to be in your shoes.

Seriously. Aim high.

Maybe I should have been more clear. I'm saying the top programs don't regree 3.5+. I snagged interview invites at most top schools with my garbage 3.0 (but I think my work experience supplanted it some). GPA and GRE are more of a floor for programs - it's more about the personal statement and the interview.

Higher GPA and GRE will only make things easier, but not a dealbreaker. As long as you're over a 3.0 you're not shut out of anywhere.

Quick question : did anyone complete their application a month before the deadline? I'm interested in the Texas A&M MHA program but wont have everything ready for a week or 2. Their deadline is June 1st. Im a little bit worried that their spots are filled up already.

Really appreciate all of the info. I'd like to hear from anyone who might have applied to grad schools straight out of undergrad. Just wondering what your experience was like. And btw, congrats to all of you who have been accepted. I can't wait to be in your shoes.

I didn't apply to MHA programs, but I applied to schools of public health (Johns Hopkins and the University of Michigan) after my senior year of undergrad and so I did not have any formal work experience although I am currently participating in a gap year program now (which I started after I submitted my applications). I think I was accepted to both of the schools that I applied to because:

1: I applied early (See the 1st page in the MPH thread for exact dates of when I applied).
2:I had strong references and statement of purpose (spent four months writing).
3: I had public health experience during undergrad through internships.
4: I took public health courses on health disparities and environmental health.

If you have lower than average grades and test scores, getting public health experience and writing a strong statement of purpose will help you tremendously in the application process. Although some schools do care about numbers, I think gaining admission into schools of public health is based more on passion and experience in the field rather than numbers. Just my 2 cents.

Whew what a thread!

Anyways, I am a little late to the game and applied really late. So far I have been accepted to USC and Tulane...still waiting on Georgetown to process my app.

Between USC and Tulane any recommendations? I originally wanted to go into healthcare consulting, but realized getting a fellowship and hospital experience is more valuable at first from my perspective. Between the two, I know Tulane is ranked highly in terms of public health, however, with other ranking sites (MHA.org, MHAGuide, etc), USC is also up there. I know I am stumbling into a "ranking slave". But past on the wealth of knowledge here any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe I should have been more clear. I'm saying the top programs don't regree 3.5+. I snagged interview invites at most top schools with my garbage 3.0 (but I think my work experience supplanted it some). GPA and GRE are more of a floor for programs - it's more about the personal statement and the interview.

Higher GPA and GRE will only make things easier, but not a dealbreaker. As long as you're over a 3.0 you're not shut out of anywhere.
I think it goes without saying that if you are strong in other aspects of your application, they can overcome a low GPA, or a low GRE. And that was my case as well. However, coming straight out of undergrad you're more limited. SOP is also a big one, as well as interviews but from what I gathered from some of the top schools and their GPA's of the previous classes admitted hover around or above 3.5. Not to say you cant get into a top program with a lower GPA...but obviously some of the top programs have the right to be pickier than others.

I have a friend who is a fellow at Rush who assists with their HSM program and their screens are completely objective and they pool together the highest GPA and GRE scores before even reading the SOP's. In the later rounds they eventually go through the other applicants but only leaves room for roughly 4-6 students according to her.

I wouldnt agree that the personal statement holds more weight than the a GPA or GRE though--more so it can be the difference if someone is slightly lacking in one area it can compensate for it. But definitely, if you're north of 3.0 you're not eliminated anywhere

Last edited:
Whew what a thread!

Anyways, I am a little late to the game and applied really late. So far I have been accepted to USC and Tulane...still waiting on Georgetown to process my app.

Between USC and Tulane any recommendations? I originally wanted to go into healthcare consulting, but realized getting a fellowship and hospital experience is more valuable at first from my perspective. Between the two, I know Tulane is ranked highly in terms of public health, however, with other ranking sites (MHA.org, MHAGuide, etc), USC is also up there. I know I am stumbling into a "ranking slave". But past on the wealth of knowledge here any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
USC has a good program and is a "prestigious" name which is good if you're going into consulting. They also place well into fellowships. I dont know much about Tulane's program but I dont think you can go wrong with USC.

I'm going straight from UG and got into every school I applied to.
Biggest things for me were:
  • GPA - I had a high one and it definitely helped
  • GRE - my V and AW scores were really high, my quantitative was mediocre. You can have one lower area, it won't kill you.
  • Major - I was able to relate my UG major to what I want to do (it's not health related at all), and told it in a very story-like way during interviews.
  • Experience - I had one internship, but it was big and I had a lot of responsibility and I wasn't afraid to brag on myself a bit.
  • Interview - just be able to set yourself apart - most good interviews (in grad school and real world) are going to be behavioral based interviews - as in "When is a time that you...?" Having strong, good answers is just about knowing yourself, your experiences and being able to answer anything they throw at you.
  • SOP - Mine was very anecdotal/storylike and less "I want to get an MHA because..." and I think it really helped to set me apart, even if I had a little less about specifically going into a program.
Basically figure out what your strengths are and what makes you different. I'm very stereotypical and essentially shouldn't be adding any diversity to a program, but I found my 'weird' things and really stuck to them.

And then, you know, graduate. That helps too.

Last edited:
Is there currently a MHA Class of 2016 facebook page for those individuals that have committed to Cornell?

Accepted into the Sloan program at Cornell.

Now comes the difficult part of choosing between Cornell, USC and Hopkins MPH/MBA dual degree, the three programs from which I have an offer.

The Hopkins degree might not be the conventional MHA but the curriculum is flexible and I can tailor it to my needs to be a healthcare management degree. And it has a global brand name second to none.

USC is a great school and LA has tons of healthcare admin internships/jobs and networking opportunity and I can work on internships during the degree which is a plus.

Sloan, needless to say, is one of the most reputed MHA programs and has very active alumni involvement in mentoring and helping grads find internships/jobs. The downside being the location and lack of practical experience while in school.

I'm an international applicant and I don't intend to settle in the US after graduation as I have a family business in healthcare back in my home country. I am really torn between all the three schools as each of them are great in their own way.

Any thoughts on what are the things I should factor in while identifying the school that is a right fit for me?

I thank you all in advance for your insight!

Last edited:
Accepted into the Sloan program at Cornell !!!!!

Now comes the difficult part of choosing between Cornell, USC and Hopkins MPH/MBA dual degree, the three programs from which I have an offer.

The Hopkins degree might not be the conventional MHA but the curriculum is flexible and I can tailor it to my needs to be a healthcare management degree. And it has a global brand name second to none.

USC is a great school and LA has tons of healthcare admin internships/jobs and networking opportunity and I can work on internships during the degree which is a plus.

Sloan, needless to say, is one of the most reputed MHA programs and has very active alumni involvement in mentoring and helping grads find internships/jobs. The downside being the location and lack of practical experience while in school.

I'm an international applicant and I don't intend to settle in the US after graduation as I plan to move back to my home country where healthcare is still an evolving business. I am really torn between all the three schools as each of them are great in their own way.

Any thoughts on what are the things I should factor in while identifying the school that is a right fit for me?

I thank you all in advance for your insight!

Last edited:
Is there currently a MHA Class of 2016 facebook page for those individuals that have committed to Cornell?
Hi !

I have been accepted into the program and I am looking to connect with the admitted students as well. I couldn't find a fb page so maybe you could take the lead and set one up?

Whew what a thread!

I'm currently finishing my first year at Tulane. I really have nothing but good things to say about the program and the city. Like anywhere, your experience and success will be a direct reflection on the amount of work you put in. The healthcare market in New Orleans is rapidly evolving and there is an incredible amount of opportunity both in the city and in the region. I think one aspect of the program that is important to consider is the integrated residency. I know it's not unique to Tulane, but for me, being able to learn in an academic environment at the same time that I'm learning in a "real world" environment has been incredibly helpful. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about Tulane or New Orleans in general. Good luck!

For what it's worth, I graduated UC Berkeley with a 3.2 but kicked ass on the GRE (over 80th percentile). After finishing undergrad, I worked a full time job for 6 months before applying to grad schools; I will have been working a full year as a "gap year" so to speak between undergrad and grad school at a doctor's office. I was accepted to Emory's HPM program with that "low" of a GPA. I think your GRE scores and your professional experiences can really help. Good luck!

Which MHA schools have rolling admissions? I'm an International student from Canada and want to apply for Fall 2014. I know USC is one, however, I'm not sure if I want to roll out $80k + living expenses for tuition.

Try Texas A&M. I think they are taking stuff into June.

Checked their website. The deadline is June 1st for US students, but March 1st for International. Boo. Any other good programs? I will apply to A&M for the Spring semester.

I was going to apply to UNT for their Fall Semester but they are not CAHME accredited. Is this a problem?

I was going to apply to UNT for their Fall Semester but they are not CAHME accredited. Is this a problem?

Yes. I know Tulane and USC both have late deadlines - Tulane is August 1st, I think. I don't even know what UNT is.

If you can't make either of those schools work, sit out and wait a year. Don't go to a not-good program for the sake of going earlier.

UNT = University of North Texas

But I agree with Chillbro. I recommend waiting an extra year to have a chance of applying to schools that you really do want to go to, rather than hoping to get into a decent one this fall. If anything, you'll just get more experience in whatever you're doing at the moment, and you'll have more time to work on your application.

Last edited:
Would anyone be willing to share pieces of their SOP's with me? I've started the (daunting) process of writing mine, and could really use a little guidance. You guys all got into great schools, so I figure that you must have written a great SOP. I'm not looking to copy anything that anyone has written, could just use a little...inspiration?

Would anyone be willing to share pieces of their SOP's with me? I've started the (daunting) process of writing mine, and could really use a little guidance. You guys all got into great schools, so I figure that you must have written a great SOP. I'm not looking to copy anything that anyone has written, could just use a little...inspiration?

I doubt that anyone is going to share their final SOP with you, but I'm happy to offer advice.

I wrote from the heart and had multiple editors assist me (including one English PhD). Every school's requirements are slightly different. I wrote my 500 word personal statement for UNC first and used that as a template for the others.

Make sure you answer the question being asked, write what you know, and write with passion.

My suggestion is to write an outline and organize everything you want to say first and make sure it all relates back to why public health/that school. Then write your draft being as inclusive as possible. It's way easier to cut down than add more. My draft started out as 3 pages (single spaced) and then I got it down to just over 2 pages. Remember not to repeat anything that is on your resume unless you are giving deeper insight about it.

hi all
i wanted to know which is better mph in health policy n management in emory or mha in tamu

My suggestion is to write an outline and organize everything you want to say first and make sure it all relates back to why public health/that school. Then write your draft being as inclusive as possible. It's way easier to cut down than add more. My draft started out as 3 pages (single spaced) and then I got it down to just over 2 pages. Remember not to repeat anything that is on your resume unless you are giving deeper insight about it.

Agreed. I wrote my SOPHAS SOP first then distilled it for UNC's 500 word requirement. I included things on my resume to explain my perspective and its relation to my health care management goals.

I read a close friend's personal statement who did well with her SPH applications and found it extremely helpful. Finding someone you know is probably much more helpful than reading some rando's SOP bc you have a better idea of how they express themselves, what their goals are etc. If you absolutely can't think of someone in that category, I can Email you my SOP.

1st year MHA student here, going onto my 2nd year.
Here is the INSIDE SCOOP you would need to make the best school choice:
If you find what I say insightful, great! If you disagree, cool just ignore this post and fight on!

1) West coast or East coast after graduation: Sure Ann Arbor is the #1 MHA program according to grad rankings, but on the west coast employers might not know that and would hold USC to a higher prestige. And this is vice versa if you want to be in the east coast after graduation.

2) Residency/Internship requirements: Are you going to be in a classroom for most of your graduate studies or will you actually be required to gain some real world experience from the program? Real talk right now, just because you will be having a Master's degree in two years does not mean an automatic 70k job. Heck, with no experience you will be fighting for those 35-40k jobs even with a Master. You need to demonstrate your real world abilities and experience with future employers. Saying you learned something but haven't applied it during your two year is useless.

3) Social setting: Do you enjoy snowboarding often or the beach? Finding a place with a decent night life for me was important. I can't study and work all day and have no fun! My 1st year classmates definitely push the "work hard play hard" theme. We all have internships, moving onto residencies for 2nd year, but we def go hard on the weekends. You need to be in a location where you can have fun & release so that you are mentally stable to focus on your professional career.

4) Network: This might be a hard truth pill to swallow but in the real world, many time it's not what you know but who. Having an introduction into a job from the inside is amazing. For one, the person introducing you to the hiring manager already has a relationship between each other. Would you rather trust and take the recommendation of someone you know or hire a potentially random stranger who looks good on paper? This is not a hard choice for most employers. Remember at the end of the day, when you all graduate you will have similar experiences and interest applying for the same jobs.

The most important thing in life will be your network and your relations to the people in your network. So you need to ask yourself, how is the school network? Many people rep their alma mater hard.

Reactions: 1 users
What are people's opinions on here about USC? I wanted to get some insight on the program. Also congrats to everybody on their decision good luck to everyone!

What are people's opinions on here about USC? I wanted to get some insight on the program. Also congrats to everybody on their decision good luck to everyone!
I ultimately turned it down but I think they have a great program. USC is also a top notch school and holds a lot of clout on the west coast. Although its not really "ranked" really high for one reason or another, the university itself is very well known and they have plenty of resources. Cant go wrong.

plz plz reply
hi all
i wanted to know which is better mph in health policy n management in emory or mha in tamu
thankss

Do you guys really think it's realistically worth it to spend $70k for a MHA program? Anyone know any really really cheap programs? I am doing my research and pretty much open to everywhere around the US. My cousin who graduated from JHU said she wouldnt go past $50k when it comes to tuition.

Do you guys really think it's realistically worth it to spend $70k for a MHA program? Anyone know any really really cheap programs? I am doing my research and pretty much open to everywhere around the US. My cousin who graduated from JHU said she wouldnt go past $50k when it comes to tuition.

If you look at tuition and cost of living, I don't know what choice a lot of people have.

We don't control the state of higher education, and even the least expensive schools are very expensive. They set the tuition amount, you work to get a scholarship, and you do what you can. Otherwise, you don't go.

Last edited:
If you look at tuition and cost of living, I don't know what choice a lot of people have.

We don't control the state of higher education, and even the least expensive schools are very expensive. They set the tuition amount, you work to get a scholarship, and you do what you can. Otherwise, you don't go.

UNC Chapel Hill tuition is 27k the first year, 10k if you get residency the second year. Unless you have a lot of money saved, work full time, can subsist on nothing but iceberg lettuce and canned tuna, or live at home, your cost of living loans (not to mention buying into the textbook racket) are going to equal or exceed tuition.

I think it's worth it to get a degree where you have the potential to make $100,000+/yr.